PDA

View Full Version : Don't let your personal beliefs/agendas get in the way of st

Ness
Mar 18, 2004, 09:56 PM
Not to single out anyone in particular, but some people here need to learn when to suck it up and keep their personal feelings at bay. I'm tired of seeing topics get locked up just because they feel the need to get all teary-eyed because someone mentioned that they enjoy homosexual sex.

It seems that people keep derailing threads just because they can't keep their personal beliefs under control. This has occurred the most with posts regarding homosexuality, but I've seen it happen to other subjects as well. A recent example of this is Answerman's thread. I believe the thread was about sexual experimentation, not the morality of homosexuality.

I'm not ranting about the fact that people are expressing their opinions, I'm ranting about the fact that every time someone says the word "gay," some people here feel the need to jump on their moral soapbox and derail a thread. It's quite annoying to see a thread regard someone?s attraction to his best friend turn into a discussion about why homosexuals are going to hell.

This is probably why the number of mature discussions here has sharply declined. I don't even know why I'm ranting; this got derailed and locked the last time I did this. With my luck, this will probably turn into a debate about the morality of homosexuality and get locked as well.

In short, if you feel morally compelled to derail a thread a bitch about something, don't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-18 19:54 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Mar 18, 2004, 10:51 PM
I will have to agree with you... I haven't seen this happen, but it sounds very immature for people to do. I know that I would be angry if my thread was derailed by people debating the morality of homosexuality... (or anything for that matter.) If you have a problem with the topic... maybe you shouldn't bother posting on it... Or even make a topic of your own to express your views... (though that too may get out of hand...)

(Oh... and yeah... how come all your apostrophes are question marks?)

Ness
Mar 18, 2004, 10:53 PM
On 2004-03-18 19:51, RurouniJoku wrote:
I will have to agree with you... I haven't seen this happen, but it sounds very immature for people to do. I know that I would be angry if my thread was derailed by people debating the morality of homosexuality... (or anything for that matter.) If you have a problem with the topic... maybe you shouldn't bother posting on it... Or even make a topic of your own to express your views... (though that too may get out of hand...)

Because I run all my long posts through a Word document before I post them. The apostrophes Word uses do not show up on this board (I had forgotten this).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-18 19:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-18 19:59 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Mar 18, 2004, 10:56 PM
On 2004-03-18 19:53, Ness wrote:

On 2004-03-18 19:51, RurouniJoku wrote:

Because I run all my long posts through a Word document becfore I post them. The apostrophes Word uses do not show up on this board (I had forgotten this).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-18 19:53 ]</font>

Ah I see... Truthfully, I don't even know why I bothered pointing it out http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

drizzle
Mar 19, 2004, 02:25 AM
Seems that every message board has at least one poster that feels the need to bring up homosexuality all the time... with predictable results..

Arislan
Mar 19, 2004, 03:27 AM
It's not the poster that brings up homosexuality that is the issue here however, it's the person who decides that it's their personal mission to prove everyone "wrong" on a point that can't be 100% proven either way. Ness has got it, people need to leave their politics at the door if it's going to cause them to ruin things for others.

Armok
Mar 19, 2004, 07:59 AM
I only dragged one topic off tract, you know the one about the guy who attacked someone with a katana, plus i didnt even mean to do that one honest. Oh and maybe the bit about tiger versus men was alittle of but thats it. I never dragged any of answermans gay topics off coarse.

Ness
Mar 19, 2004, 09:41 AM
On 2004-03-19 04:59, Armok wrote:
I only dragged one topic off tract, you know the one about the guy who attacked someone with a katana, plus i didnt even mean to do that one honest. Oh and maybe the bit about tiger versus men was alittle of but thats it. I never dragged any of answermans gay topics off coarse.

Like I said, I wasn't singling anyone out. This has been going for quite some time.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 19, 2004, 10:42 AM
Well sometimes it cant be helped. It natural to argue or disagree. You know the old statement, never talk politics or religion with friends, cus you might lose your friends. But Ness is right, it is rare to find a thread where everyone states their different opinions without becoming enraged or start a crusade to make a point.

Even Fanworks suffers from this, I have witnessed some simple appraisal threads become into a mudslinging contest... very sad indeed.

Ness
Mar 19, 2004, 10:45 AM
On 2004-03-19 07:42, Furankunichan wrote:
Well sometimes it cant be helped. It natural to argue or disagree. You know the old statement, never talk politics or religion with friends, cus you might lose your friends. But Ness is right, it is rare to find a thread where everyone states their different opinions without becoming enraged or start a crusade to make a point.

Even Fanworks suffers from this, I have witnessed some simple appraisal threads become into a mudslinging contest... very sad indeed.

I'm not talking about threads intended for debate, I'm talking about threads like Answerman's "Sex talk" thread turing into an arguement over homosexuality.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
On 2004-03-19 07:45, Ness wrote:

On 2004-03-19 07:42, Furankunichan wrote:

I'm not talking about threads intended for debate, I'm talking about threads like Answerman's "Sex talk" thread turing into an arguement over homosexuality.

Yes Ness I see your point, I was just saying that people somehow find a way to bring a personal topic into another topic that is entirely different. I even mentioned Fanworks because that is the last place one would expect thread derailments, but it has happened.

anwserman
Mar 19, 2004, 11:20 AM
It isn't just my topics that are being derailed, turning into a big fight. Hell, I admit that if my topic is derailed and turns into a fight, I'm gonna argue about it.

I'm part of the cause of the problem.

Point being: If you're in a thread, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO VOICE YOUR OPINION. DO NOT VOICE IT IF IT WILL SWITCH THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION, OR REPHRASE YOUR STATEMENT AS TO NOT DERAIL THE THREAD. My last thread was from trying new things (main focus sex) into yet another battle about Religion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-03-19 08:21 ]</font>

Ness
Mar 19, 2004, 11:33 AM
That's why I made this rant; it's happening everywhere and it's been going on since at least 2003.

ABDUR101
Mar 19, 2004, 03:24 PM
On 2004-03-19 08:33, Ness wrote:
That's why I made this rant; it's happening everywhere and it's been going on since at least 2003.

...since 2003? Heh.

opaopajr
Mar 20, 2004, 04:16 AM
well, strong believer that conversations have a natural flow i find that to ask "no deviation from said topic ever!!!" is rather unrealistic.

that said there has been a rather sizable increase of blocked threads, especially from ones that were going seemingly well.

i'd be more in lines with the idea that if you find a sidenote really interesting that someone takes the initiative to say "hey, that's something we should/n't talk about, i'm gonna make a new topic so we can discuss it there." i think that'd be a better solution. it allows us to police ourselves better, and gives the mods a break. really we don't need warnings and locks being thrown out all over the place if we can go the extra step.

now that said, if the problem continues it isolates those who don't want to talk about it in another topic, but rather want to disrupt the current topic. thus this "create a new topic" angle also helps weed out any trolling, if any.

Armok
Mar 20, 2004, 09:30 AM
Look everything gets off topic eventually after 40 posts ppl cannot still be talking about the first post. Its progressive

Ness
Mar 20, 2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-03-20 06:30, Armok wrote:
Look everything gets off topic eventually after 40 posts ppl cannot still be talking about the first post. Its progressive

Yes, but these threads are relatively on topic and then somone mentions that they are gay (still pertaining to the topic) and the next person goes off on a tangent about why gays are going to hell.

Uncle_bob
Mar 20, 2004, 02:07 PM
On 2004-03-20 10:03, Ness wrote:
Yes, but these threads are relatively on topic and then somone mentions that they are gay (still pertaining to the topic) and the next person goes off on a tangent about why gays are going to hell.

Then maybe people shouldn't be massively open about their sexuality on message boards? Unless, of course, the topic is a poll asking "Are you gay?" or something to that extent.

Uncle isn't supporting people hopping on eachother's sacks and damning them to hell eternally, but you proabably see what Uncle is saying here, hopefully. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

anwserman
Mar 20, 2004, 02:13 PM
On 2004-03-20 11:07, Uncle_bob wrote:

On 2004-03-20 10:03, Ness wrote:

Then maybe people shouldn't be massively open about their sexuality on message boards? Unless, of course, the topic is a poll asking "Are you gay?" or something to that extent.

Uncle isn't supporting people hopping on eachother's sacks and damning them to hell eternally, but you proabably see what Uncle is saying here, hopefully. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I'm seeing what you mean, and yes perhaps I shouldn't have posted that. But, the mods had no issues with it really (other then keeping the talks "clean as possible")

Eh, this is turning into a topic about my old topic which means yet another Ness topic is going to get locked.

Meh.
Sorry Ness.

Ness
Mar 20, 2004, 02:23 PM
On 2004-03-20 11:07, Uncle_bob wrote:

I'm torn about this reply. I don't know whether to respond to this topic, thus opening the flood gates for more homosexaulity discussion; or say absolutely nothing, thus letting this thread devolve into yet another debate. Since I'm damned either way, I guess I will respond.

Why shouldn't they? It's their choice. Just like it's your choice to go on a tangent about homosexuality. (I say "your" as referring to people that derail threads, not you personally).

Also, like I said, them mentioning that they are gay usually has something to do with the whatever the topic is disccussing. Like I said, it's not just people that go on tangents about homosexaulity that I'm ranting aobut, but a number of other subjects as well. For example, I remember someone here going on a tangent about why Americans are crap and that just started a whole bunch of wonderful debates.

In short, just because someone mentions that they are gay, Islamic, atheist, anti-American, pro-American, pro-choice, pro-life, or whatever other stuff is out there doesn't give you the right to derail a thread just to "correct" them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-20 11:33 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Mar 20, 2004, 02:29 PM
it's not about your sexuality. i don't give a damn about your sexuality.

i give a damn about people staying on topic. it's a friggin game forum. we don't need preachers.

maybe this is probably asking too much out of psow but, people, use common sense and your head. use logic. stay on topic. wallah. it ain't no miracle.

Uncle_bob
Mar 20, 2004, 03:01 PM
Well Ness, if someone says "I'm gay" and it's on track with the topic (i.e.- "Are you gay?" poll), then good for them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

But if it comes out of the blue and has nothing to do with the topic and someone hops on their sack and the topic gets locked, it's the person's fault for blabbing their sexuality randomly. AND it's also the other guy's fault for hopping on the gay guy's sack which in turn causes the topic to be locked. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Edit: And yes, it's Uncle's choice if he WANTS to skew the point of a topic and get it locked. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, heh. Just because one has the choice to do something doesn't mean they should do it. :l

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2004-03-20 12:02 ]</font>

Ness
Mar 20, 2004, 03:45 PM
On 2004-03-20 12:01, Uncle_bob wrote:
Edit: And yes, it's Uncle's choice if he WANTS to skew the point of a topic and get it locked. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, heh. Just because one has the choice to do something doesn't mean they should do it. :l

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2004-03-20 12:02 ]</font>

I wasn't saying it was the right thing to do, I was saying that one is responsible for their own posts.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 22, 2004, 11:00 AM
What can you say? Some people just insist on being a nuisance; they're everywhere and anywhere, and will always exist for as long as the human race does. You can preach to some people again and again and it just goes in one ear and out of the other, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it except keep drumming the point you are trying too make.

My conclusion - at least a fifth of all people in the world are there to annoy, and they cannot be diverted from their goal.

Then again, there are (luckily) people that account for it by bringing order back from chaos. Praise those people!

~ Antimony