PDA

View Full Version : I found this interesting. (About Verisign)

Ness
Mar 21, 2004, 10:43 AM
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/PressReleases/internet_battle.asp?isc=&se=%2B&from%5Fapp=

If what they say is true, then Verisign must be dealt with. I may not a gree with everything on the internet, but I don't like the idea of one comapany being able to control what is and isn't on there.

Solstis
Mar 21, 2004, 10:54 AM
Then again, I find myself a cynic of that site.

It doesn't actually tell you anything than vague, hazy details about VeriSign.

Ho-Hum. The "Internet Revolution" will have to come knocking on my door another day.

BOC
Mar 21, 2004, 11:04 AM
what exactly is it that Verisign are gonna do??

they r a bit sketchy on details.

id rather know the facts myself before blindly signihg any online pertitions.

seems ever time i sign one of those things i get 300 new spam mails a day http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

PEACE!!!

SpikeOtacon
Mar 21, 2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah...I don't quite understand what the hell they are talking about...could you elaborate for us, ness?

Ness
Mar 21, 2004, 11:30 AM
Verisign is the dominant certificate authority on the internet at the present time, though many of its certificates are signed as RSA Data Security. Early versions of Microsoft and Netscape browsers had RSA Data Security configured as the only trusted certificate authority, and this more or less mandated that people wishing to use certificates on the internet need to obtain them from Verisign, and use server software that had been accredited by Verisign. Current versions of the Microsoft & Netscape browsers have the facility for users to add new certificate authorities, and, as older versions of the browsers have been replaced, there has been an opportunity for new certificate authorities such as Thawte to emerge.

So in other words, they determine which comapanies can be trusted and which companies cannot. There used to be several companies out there like Verisign, but now they are one of the only ones left.

BOC
Mar 21, 2004, 11:35 AM
maybe im just missing the big picture here, but...

so what? do certificates really matter that much??

or is this some deus ex style conspiracy to dominate and control the internet.

ignorance is bliss.

PEACE!!!

Ness
Mar 21, 2004, 11:38 AM
Their certificates of authenication. It's basically a thing that says "you can trust me."

BOC
Mar 21, 2004, 11:52 AM
i trust very few websites anyways.

trust pso world neways *fearing the all-seeing eye*

besides is it really all that bad? there is only one authority u can get a driving license from, it may cheapen the value of the certificate if every tom dick and harry was handing them out.

How many would hand out certificates to anyone just 2 make a quick buck?

PEACE!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BOC on 2004-03-21 08:55 ]</font>

Ness
Mar 21, 2004, 12:02 PM
On 2004-03-21 08:52, BOC wrote:
i trust very few websites anyways.

trust pso world neways *fearing the all-seeing eye*

besides is it really all that bad? there is only one authority u can get a driving license from, it may cheapen the value of the certificate if every tom dick and harry was handing them out.

How many would hand out certificates to anyone just 2 make a quick buck?

PEACE!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BOC on 2004-03-21 08:55 ]</font>

That's one way of looking at it, but it is also a fact that the government controls who can and cannot be allowed on the road. Basically, if you are doing something the govern,ment agrees with, it can take away your liscense. Of course the government has retraints from doing stuff like that, but private companies do not.