PDA

View Full Version : Techniques, I don't understand?

Muzzaro
Mar 22, 2004, 11:04 PM
Well, I get most of this game, even though I'm new.

Each class has a weapon type specific to it. Each class can also use weapons of the other classes, if they reach the requirements.

But techniques I do not understand. Do you recieve them, at a certian level? Or, when your mental stat is high enough, or are they reliant on weapons/equipment, like FFTA? I found lots of disks, but it said they are a one-shot use, so I sell them rather than wasting time with them.

Also, when you recive a technique, does it level up, or is that one technique the best you can get for that area?

Sorry for the questions, I am new, and I really do not understand this. Even the FAQ on this site doesn't explain much, just lots of figures.

Yaoi_Shinobi
Mar 22, 2004, 11:09 PM
The Technique Disks you get are used to teach you the techs. When you get one that you can use, use it. It is like mastering a Abilty on FFTA. On the disk it will say for example, "Foie Lv. 1" That means it will teach you the Tech. Foie and it will be level 1. As you progress through the game you will find/be able to buy Tech. disks that are higher level, like "Foie Lv. 5" Also you do not need to learn the spells in order. For example if you Foie level 1 you do not need to get Foie level 2 to learn level 3. Hope this helps. If you need anyother help on Techs just post here. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Mr_Special
Mar 22, 2004, 11:20 PM
once you learn the tech, you've got it forever http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

a little pointer: tech disc have minimum requirements to learn, it says it on the disc. it'll say like "70 MST Required" or something like that.

you only have to have the MST at the time you use the Disc. so you can equip a cane that raises your MST, then learn a Disc, and toss the cane, and you still have the tech!

there are better ways to learn higher level techniques, but stronger techniques cost more TP (Technique Points - the blue meter) to cast, so you don't want to learn really high level techniques at low character levels.

Muzzaro
Mar 22, 2004, 11:27 PM
so all those 12 cost and 22 cost disks I've been selling off, I should have used?

GAH! Time to give it another go, and use all the disks I find.

I thought it was strange that I had no powers other than to slice and dice things with two green sythe style daggers...

Mr_Special
Mar 22, 2004, 11:52 PM
lol if you can learn them, you might as well!

the only reason not to, would be to save them for another character or trade, but healing a support techs are very useful.

BTW, what class are you playing as?

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 23, 2004, 12:54 AM
What gave you the idea that techs weren't permanent? just collect the ones you don't have and toss the ones you do. Grey means either you don't have enough MST, or you've already used it. White means you have enough MST but you don't have the tech, so you can use it. A red X means that character class can't ever use it. like these classes:
Force- all techs, lvl 30, anti lvl 7

Non-Force Male- all except Reverser, Grants, and Megid, lvl 15; anti 5 i think. Humars can't use Shifta/Deband, Ramars can't use Jellen/Zalure.

Non-Force Female- all except Reverser, Grants, and Megid, lvl 20; anti lvl 7 i think.

Androids- no techs, just traps http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Muzzaro
Mar 23, 2004, 11:46 AM
I'm laying a hunter, newman female. Or whatever the code is for it... So she's strong on techniques.

All this time, I could have used these things... gah!

TheGoldenVoid
Mar 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
You are "laying" her? I....see.....

Mr_Special
Mar 23, 2004, 05:44 PM
As much as I like the idea of "laying" a HUnewearl, I think He/She meant playing. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zeroy
Mar 23, 2004, 06:22 PM
right... btw the "code" is HUnewearl.

HU = short for HUnter
new = short for newman
earl = earl is the ending for a female newman... dunno why

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-23 15:23 ]</font>

Kratt_Nemiu
Mar 23, 2004, 09:39 PM
if you are new select the HU the FO are little hard to control dont worry if you dont dtand well the gamemode you only need time and you start to stand everithing i tell you for expierence

Muzzaro
Mar 24, 2004, 09:07 PM
Well, I had a resta disk stored in the bank, along side anything I think is important (lots of moon potions etc), so I used that. I can now heal myself, and cast a fireball!

It came in handy with the dragon-y creature, which I proceeded to turn into smoked... erm... dragon... stuff.

Then in Caves 1, a bunch of sharks killed me.

Not a good start. She's level 8, so I might go back to forest for a couple more levels.

I've also got a ranger (human female) and she got to the dragon at lvl 5, but it really ripped her to pieces.

Xero_Silvera
Mar 24, 2004, 09:40 PM
This is just to help, scince i saw part of the character name code up there, i decided to tell ya how to decipher it. (it bugged me ALOT when i started out, lol..)
There are three classes. HUnter, RAnger and FOrce.
Hunters are the basic hack & slash meat tanks of the game. Rangers are the best at ranged weapons, and Forces are the wizards/ spellcasters of PSO.

Also, there are three races. Human, Newman and Android. Humans are the most well rounded. Newmans (elves, pointy ears ^.^) are best at casting spells, and androids dont get spells (techniques) at all. Instead they cannot be poisoned or paralyzed AND have the ability to see and use traps.

The codes for the classes/ races are as follows:
prefix HU = hunter
RA = ranger
FO = force
Suffix Mar = Human Male
Marl = Human Female
Newm = Newman Male
Newearl = Newman female
Cast = Android Male
Caseal = Android Female
Example-HUcaseal (Hunter, android, female)
You'll get used to it, its pretty simple after awhile. Welcome to the game and enjoy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
-xero

Solstis
Mar 24, 2004, 10:00 PM
Newmans (elves, pointy ears ^.^) are best at casting spells, and androids dont get spells (techniques) at all.

Before we get into another Focast argument, or why can't my HUmar use high level spells discussion, note this:

They aren't spells, but techniques. Like a cardtrick or somewhat.

Thus, there is no magic. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Xero_Silvera
Mar 24, 2004, 10:04 PM
Making a fireball shoot out of your palm isnt magic? its a technique? Trust me, they are just another name for 'spells'
On topic, i remember back when i had no idea of things, i didnt even want to post about it.. lol i felt dumb.

Solstis
Mar 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
On 2004-03-24 19:04, Xero_Silvera wrote:
Making a fireball shoot out of your palm isnt magic? its a technique? Trust me, they are just another name for 'spells'
On topic, i remember back when i had no idea of things, i didnt even want to post about it.. lol i felt dumb.

HAHAHHAHAH!

You make me laugh. (In RL, I am smirking, not laughing, but hey!)

Read up on your Phantasy Star history. I guess they could be considered "spells", but since they're just "techniques" (hence the name) they're not magic.

No magic. At all.

Mr_Special
Mar 25, 2004, 10:33 PM
eh? in which Phantasy Star game do they explain why "spells" are called "Techniques"?

Xero_Silvera
Mar 26, 2004, 12:32 AM
make a new topic or take this to PMs.. i dunt wanna gank someone elses topic http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif sorry -xero

DezoPenguin
Mar 26, 2004, 08:47 AM
must...resist...urge...to...go...old-school...

Ah, what the heck!

On 2004-03-25 19:33, Mr_Special wrote:
eh? in which Phantasy Star game do they explain why "spells" are called "Techniques"?

The original Phantasy Star had "magic" and magic points. Phantasy Star Gaiden had spells you bought at a store. Phantasy Star II and III had techniques. It was Phantasy Star IV that set up the fact that there was a specific difference between magic and techniques. I reference the scene, for example, when Rune uses the magic spell Flaeli to destroy a rock blocking the party's path, and Hahn (a scholar, and at that point the party's most powerful technique-user) stands around with his jaw dangling, amazed at this different art.

The "Phantasy Star Compendium" (translation here (http://home.att.net/~RACapowski/PS/comtrans.htm#chrono)) defines techniques as a "more generalized form of magic"--apparently it uses the same kind of power but without the lifetime study and training needed to become a magician.

I also note that PSIV was also the originator of the whole "androids can't use techniques" routine, so you can blame its creators for the lack of FOcasts.

Muzzaro
Mar 26, 2004, 07:10 PM
Out of interest, are the other PS games any good? The only ones I've seen is the collection on the GBA.

Mr_Special
Mar 26, 2004, 07:43 PM
On 2004-03-26 16:10, Muzzaro wrote:
Out of interest, are the other PS games any good? The only ones I've seen is the collection on the GBA.

some of my friends say PS4 is an amazing game...

i guess i should get it and play it sometime, unfortunately its not available on GBA.

PS1-3 are what you get in Phantasy Star Collection on GBA, and they range from "horrible" to "good".