PDA

View Full Version : help with modem setup

Oryus_
Mar 23, 2004, 02:00 PM
Ok, I have an external USB modem and after reading the guide in the post at the top of this section I want to make sure ive got this right. I use an ethernet cable to plug my BB adaptor into the networking card that plugs into my computer, and from there my computer acts as a server allowing my gamecube to use its internet conection. now my first question is to see wether I understand what I have to do properly. My second however is about the networking card, to put it into my computer do I have to physicaly take my computer apart! and if so how do I connect it! Any help would be much appreciated.

Rich_T
Mar 23, 2004, 03:22 PM
most computers now have network cards built in on the main circuit board, look round the back of your p.c for a entwork socktet, it looks like a large modem socket and its the same as you get on the gamecube broadband adaptor, or on the back of an x box.

if you dont have one you can get them pretty cheap.

to install one, switch off your p.c and disconect the cables to and from it.
open up the case, ( dont worry there designed to be opened up ) theres usualy some screws on the back, you should see a row of conector thingys on one side, some will have things plugged in, others wont.
The things that are in the conectors have sockets on the outside of your computer, the conectors that dont have anything in have a bit of metal covering up the hole, these bits of metal ~( blanking plates) are held in with a retaining screw, unscrew this and slide the bit of meatl out.
take your network card and push it into the conector on the main cricuit baord of your computer ( motherboard) and scre it in place using the same screw that held the blaning plate in position.
put the cover back on your computer, plug it all in, and you will get a message about new found hardware, follow the on screen instructions.

As for the cable to link your gamecube, you need something called a crossover network cable, it must be a CROSSOVER cable as others wotn work.

Oryus_
Mar 24, 2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks alot for the info. Ok theres this plug that is just like the gamecube broadband socket but its labled 'ethernet port'. will this work? and if it does will I still need a crossover cable?

VioletSkye
Mar 24, 2004, 10:53 AM
yes you still need a crossover cable.
The crossover cable will go from the ethernet port on your pc to your GC. Did you setup ICS already?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-24 07:54 ]</font>

Oryus_
Mar 24, 2004, 01:54 PM
ICS?...you mean the bit when you set your computer to share internet connections, well if it is I havent done that yet, I was going to wait until I got the cables and stuff before I did that.

Rich_T
Mar 24, 2004, 03:22 PM
dotn worry it doesnt need doing until youve got everyhting, although you could set it up to familiairise yourself with it.

VioletSkye
Mar 24, 2004, 03:25 PM
It would help us to have some info on your connection in case you need any further help.

1. Who is your ISP?
2. What type of connection is it (Dialup, Cable, DSL?)
3. If DSL, which is it PPPOE or PPPOA?
4. If cable, do you know if you need to register the MAC on the BBA with your ISP so that the DHCP server recognizes it and resolves and IP for it?

Oryus_
Mar 25, 2004, 03:00 AM
Ok then
1.My ISP is Freeserve (a uk company)
2. Conection? err...it says 'Alied Data Speed Line' at the bottom of the modem, so im guessing DSL
3.PPPOE or PPPOA!? well I checked the help on my ISP's site and they said their internet is distributed 'dynamicly'...what the hell is that!?
4. I dont think its a cable modem.
if you want more info on my ISP the website is
http://www.freeserve.com , I hope this is enougth

Rich_T
Mar 25, 2004, 12:52 PM
I use freeserve broadband, although i now have a router, i have used internet conection sharing and it worked without any problems.

Your conection type is Asymetrical Digital Subscription Line, what this means is that your downlaod speed (512kbs) is faster than your upload speed (215kbs)

Freeserve,as most other UK broadband ISPs use PPOATm
what this means is soemthing or other.

dynamicy means that you get a different IP address each time your connect.

you probably have the alcatel speedtouch USB modem, either the green 'frog' or the red 'cycle helmet'
if your unlucky you have the copperjet thing, that will cause you problems.

All i can say is that internet conection sharing works with out a problem with freeserve and an alcatel USB modem.

If youve had freeserve for more than 12 months, i know of rumours of a way to lower your monthly subscription (CBUK request), i am just about to try.

edit - this may involve being locked into a 12 month contract

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2004-03-25 10:35 ]</font>

Oryus_
Mar 25, 2004, 01:01 PM
Uh oh..it seems im unlucky and have a copper jet modem! is this gonna efect me in any major way! but thanks alot for all the ifo this far. I also have one more question, if i share the conection, every time I play PSO will I have to turn on my PC.

Rich_T
Mar 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
The copper jet modem has been the source of many problems with freesreves broadband service, but basicly if it works ok for you, then your lucky.
This modem is no longer suplied with new conection packs due to its unreliability, and instalation problems.
if it works fine then leave it as it is, if you have problems with it dropping the ADSL line call freeserve on 0870 0102462

Oryus_
Mar 25, 2004, 02:38 PM
I see....well my Internet hasn't given me any problems as of yet,so figers crossed. My cable should be here this coming tuesday/wednessday so i'd like to thank you all very much for your help. This should be enougth info to get me on so I Hope to see you all online, If I do get anymore problems though il know where to go! Thanks again.

Oryus_
Apr 6, 2004, 03:14 PM
......dam
finaly got all my stuff together and thought with the info ive got id be able to connect without a problem.....yea...right
I dont have a CLUE what info I need and im not sure what to do! il give you a sumary of the info I have so far.
thanks to the info from Rich-T and freeserve (stupid freeserve)

i connect via PPOATm (wat does this mean!?)
i have the primary/secondary DNS adresses
Proxy server
phone number?(dunno if i need it)
well I dont know what to do with the info...HELP PLEASE!

Rich_T
Apr 6, 2004, 05:00 PM
Quote:

connect via PPOATm (wat does this mean!?)
It doesnt matter forget it
i have the primary/secondary DNS adresses
Proxy server
Itr doesnt matter, forget about that as well
phone number?(dunno if i need it)
forget it, your using ADSL
well I dont know what to do with the info...HELP PLEASE!er... forget it, its useless just like freserve tech support

Ok heres what you do

First of all, make sure that your ethernet lead is a crossover cable this is very important, look at each end of the plug you should be able to see through the clear cover, the coloured wires should be in a differnt order in each plug.

put the ethernet card in your p.c switch it on and follow the on screen prompts on setting it up

set up internet conection sharng on your P.C

start>my network places> create a home or small office network> this computer conects to the internet other comeputers conet to the internet through this computer

jobs a good un.

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 02:11 AM
thanks again so any way, freeserve help is flippin useless but im pretty sure its a crossover cable (goes to check.....) yep the wire colours are in a different order. When i tryed to buy my HL of the gamecube it said it couldnt get the DHCP and was a simmular story with every other way but I think its a problem with the ICS as I tried to do it with a setup wizard and kinda messed my internet up so I had to delete it and reinstall it. anyway thanks for your help il let you know what happens

Rich_T
Apr 7, 2004, 12:23 PM
When your buying the hunters licence for the first time do it through the gamecube
if you do it on a P.C then you realise that you cant connect on the gamecube for some reason you will be wasting money, if you do it on the gamecube and it works OK, then there is a good chance you will be able to coneect to the gameserver.

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 12:43 PM
man...is the setup wizard suposed to take this long to configure the system!? it been about 20 mins now! ..........waits......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oryus_ on 2004-04-07 10:44 ]</font>

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 01:02 PM
45 minuets! ok now something aint right! any one got any ideas why this is happening/taking so long!?

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 01:20 PM
a few minuets....A FEW MINUETS!! DAM YOUR LIES STUPID COMPUTER AGGGGRRRRRRR!!!! its been an hour now! .....arrr im just gonna stop it, but still any ideas on my problem!

Rich_T
Apr 7, 2004, 01:50 PM
is this the bit where it asks you to create a disk for the set up wizzard? you dont need to do it, i think you just clck on a confirmation button.

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 02:06 PM
it doesnt even get to that bit! i got there before but i messed it up and now when I do it it just comes up saying its configuring the sysrem but does nothing at all! just keeps on going and every time I mess up I have to uninstall and reinstall the modem to get the settings back to normal. I might be doing something wrong like not ticking the right box or something but im just gonna have to give it another go!

Rich_T
Apr 7, 2004, 02:55 PM
try right clicking the modem in the network settings then properites and somewhere in there there should also be a tab for internet conection sharing.

Oryus_
Apr 7, 2004, 03:44 PM
Ive set the internet connection settings to share connections but every time i try my GC it says it was unable to connect to the network and cant get the RHC..oh what ever the heck it is! any way I just seem to be missing something, my network places tell me there are a broken connection but that might be my old dial up line. I dont know what im missing!is there some way to maualy bridge the connection or something like that?

Rich_T
Apr 7, 2004, 04:11 PM
have you got two monitors showing up in the bit near the clock?
have you enabled the local area conection card 9 it will say disabled or enabled, right click to change it ( my network places/veiw network conections, in there your card should be listed under local area conections try togling it between disabled and enabled.

this is the two monitor bit
http://mysite.freeserve.com/mybasicuploadsite/ICS.JPG

Oryus_
Apr 8, 2004, 02:34 PM
it says its enabled but I think you might be on to something. I do have a broken network bridge and prehapse the connection isnt bridged properly...or mabey im talking out my A$$...i dunno im not really knownadgable in this particular area in computers.

Oryus_
Apr 8, 2004, 04:08 PM
you know what im really starting to get suspicious...everything ive checked on this computer says that there is a connection comming through. Ive checked the connection and data has been sent over it but nothing sent back. Im grtting really confused as all things show the connection should be working!
so the ideas I have are either:
(a) the problems on my PSO network setup and not the computer or
(b) my zone alarm firewall is having some kind of an effect
i cant quite think of any other reasons although my bets are on the fire wall...but still I cant see any reason it would interfear as no warnings pop up?

Oryus_
Apr 8, 2004, 04:20 PM
oh....my.....i....i dont know what to say.....IT WAS THE GOD DAM FIRE WALL ALL ALONG!!!!! *cries* WAHHHH! ......well.....ive got it and id really like to thank you Rich-T youve been a great help but id wish id thought of it eariler...well thanks alot for your help and sticking with me. any chance ill see you online cus I owe you but i might be back as im not on yet. fingers crossed!

Oryus_
Apr 9, 2004, 04:19 AM
well thats it...im on. phew thanks aloit for your help and all I can say is thank God! see you around.