PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy the XBOX PSO

SonicFan-G
Mar 25, 2004, 11:27 PM
Check it out. I plan to buy a XBOX soon and of course PSO is a game I plan to buy. But when I think about it, IGN had said that you have to have a XBOX Live account to play PSO, even offline. I already have PSO for GC but I have friends over my house all the time and PSO is pretty popular. I actually have 8 characters for my friends, and some of them share characters. So buying PSO for my XBOX seems reasonable plus I could experiment with other characters and other SectionIDs. What I want to know is: do you really need a XBOX Live account to play PSO offline?

I remember this one person (Muzzaro i think thats how its spelled) bought PSO for XBOX not to long ago. But that person doesn't have XBOX Live(I think, I could be wrong). Maybe because that person lives in another country. O well, can someone give me the facts?

Sorry if this was ever asked before, I don't do forums.

Para
Mar 25, 2004, 11:30 PM
Yup, PSO for Xbox requires XBOX live. You can't play your PSO without a gamertag.

rising_sunset
Mar 25, 2004, 11:31 PM
who cares about xbox! just go with GC, I think more people play on GC!

Mr_Special
Mar 25, 2004, 11:31 PM
um... if you have PSO for GCN, why not stick with that? :/

besides, if you get Xbox version you won't be able to play offline mutliplayer, because there is none gah, why must IGN suck at teh internet? - ie no way to play with your friends unless they all buy Xboxes, PSO, BB, HL and Xbox live... or buy those Xbox "mem cards"

[ This Message was snip-snipped by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-25 20:31 ]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-26 16:24 ]</font>

Kuea
Mar 25, 2004, 11:35 PM
it's probebly about even for X-box and GC so go with X-box for the talking part

Mr_Special
Mar 26, 2004, 12:01 AM
On 2004-03-25 20:35, Gajeh wrote:
it's probebly about even for X-box and GC so go with X-box for the talking part

true, costwise, Xbox VS GCN, Xbox is only slightly more expensive, but when you're comparing Xbox & GCN VS GCN only, Xbox & GCN is obviously much much more expensive http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

if you already have the game and some characters, why buy it again? especially if its gonna be excluding your friends...

SonicFan-G
Mar 26, 2004, 12:41 AM
No offline multiplayer, whoa, now thats just insanity. I had no idea. Thanks for the warning.

On 2004-03-25 21:01, Mr_Special wrote:
true, costwise, Xbox VS GCN, Xbox is only slightly more expensive, but when you're comparing Xbox & GCN VS GCN only, Xbox & GCN is obviously much much more expensive

I'm only 17 and I'm still in high school, I didn't plan to go online with either system. The only way I could get online is wait until I get a summer job. Until then I just thought my friends could put there characters on their own XBOX memory cards rather using my GC memory cards. Since most of them have XBOXs instead of GCs. So much for that idea. But I still plan to get my XBOX, just not PSO, I'm going to stick with the GC version.

Maybe when I get online this summer, I might see someone from PSOW. But first I need another ISP. I already know PSO doesn't work with AOL and I'm not exactly willing to go out and buy a router either.

Why would Sonic Team exclude offline multiplayer anyway? Does it have something to do with the XBOX's internal HD?

A2K
Mar 26, 2004, 01:18 AM
Lies. There is an offline multiplayer mode. I've used it myself to transfer items. Your friends will need memory units, though.

An Xbox Live gamertag is required to play at all, though. Which really didn't matter with the Japanese release, because it was packaged with the XBL Starter Kits there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2004-03-25 22:30 ]</font>

PsychoMantis
Mar 26, 2004, 01:29 AM
ya dont buy it for xbox, its a complete waste! gc gets offline and u dont need online to play (only for online, duh!), its better in every way. plus u alraedy got gc.

SonicFan-G
Mar 26, 2004, 01:35 AM
I'm confused now. It doesn't matter anyway, unless I can find a way to play offline without having an XBOX Live account. Thats what pisses me off. Its bad enough some people don't have GCs but making PSO an XBOX Live exclusive, what good does that do for the people who can't get there XBOX online? Sonic Team could have got more money, this decision was quite stupid. (No disrespect to Sonic Team)

Thanks anyway A2K

BOmar
Mar 26, 2004, 03:20 AM
Ugh! Too many GC fanboys in here!

I thought all that GC vs Xbox crap had stopped >.<

Anyway, the Xbox has better offline multiplayer than the Gamecube due to less slowdown.

Muzzaro
Mar 26, 2004, 05:55 AM
X-box PSO.

First off, with your x-box, you should have recieved a 2 month free trial. (also with selected games). Simply, register for it (you need access to a CC which is the down part, but, it won't ever charge to it, so you can put parents or your minds at rest), then for PSO (Free 2 month online trial with PSO x-box, compared to 1 month with GC). Before the 2 months run out, just contact Microsoft and cancel the x-box live.

PSO sticks the characters on the gamertag, so that's really why you need XBL. It's not some evil marketting system, when PSO came out for japan, it came with an XBL trial built in, and it seems that ST never changed the code for US/UK. Even when your trial runs out, you can still use the characters for offline play.

But, you are getting 2 months free trial. Ok you get no headset, which is the big point of Xbox PSO (I hate the onscreen keyboard), but you now have live to try out any of your other live games, download content for them etc, Not to mention online with PSO, so you can do the whole online stuff.

-----------------'fanboy'(?) rant-------------------

Ok. Lots of, what was that word? "fanboys" around for the Gamecube. Nice system, I'll get one, so I'm not an xbox "fan", but let's face it, the reason I will get one, is because they are *soooooo* cheap, due to the fact the machine is dying a death. I only want it for the GC only games, which PSO 3 is one of them. I'm not interested in Res evil (DC did it good enough for me), and I hate Zelda, so that leaves what? A handful of games.

It's nice that the game is out for two next-gen systems. What isn't nice, is that the GC fans are putting down the Xbox, because of costs.

Well, Yes. We pay costs (well... ok I don't, I'm on my 2 month's trial... ;P) and this is what it goes for.

Xbox users pay about £3 a month, for a dedicated lobby system, Voice Chat technology, head-set talking, (Your first month, if bought via the headset package comes with a £20 headset, negating ALOT of the cost...) and connection via the world to any of their live-enabled games, not to mention 90% free downloads for most games that allow it or the ability to play in tourneys via some games, where you win real prizes.

Or, should it be mentioned the amount of online games? Most of them getting hellishly good scores? One game that maybe isn't the "best", but my favourate, is Capcom vs SNK 2.0. Maybe GC has it, but playing online vs opponents, with hardly any lag problems? Even if your opponent beats you, it's so much fun! I'm going to buy a mic soon, so I can say "SPINNING BIRD KICKKKKKK" before I pull off the move. (Yes, I prefer Chun-Li.)

The community online isn't bad either. As there's a CC involved, you have less of the CounterStrike kiddies, and more of the serious gamers. Ok, with any online system there will always be lame people who spam, call names etc (like in PSO3 according to the forum) but you just ignore them, or block them.

Compare that to the GC. It has two online games in the UK (Both PSOs) and a few that can be played only if you emulate a lan with the GC to your PC. Alot of work there, just to play vs someone. Alot of third party effort too, just to be able to play a game with someone via the internet.

Now before I get flamed to bits.

I own several consoles, from my beloved DC (and jap DC), to the Xbox, SNES to the old Megadrive that I have to fiddle with the power supply before it works. (must replace that one day...). I adore each system for what it brought/brings to the market.

I just dislike it when someone puts down a console, because they own an "opposing" one. Is this really opposition? It seems that each of the next-gen consoles satisfys a role in the market.

Ok I'll be quiet. Hope that helps tho.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 26, 2004, 06:12 AM
If you want to go offline for Xbox, you could do what I did - I talked to one of my friends, who has multiple Xbox live accounts, and asked if I could have one that he never used. I went out and bought a £5 memory card, and copied the gamertag to the card.

Then, as long as you have the memory card in the controller (with the gamertag on it) whenever you want to play, you're completely offline!

Then again, that would involve you finding someone with a Live account that they're not using...But if you can, this method works fine.

~ Antimony

A2K
Mar 26, 2004, 08:01 AM
^ Why on Earth does your friend have more than one active Live account?

Muzzaro
Mar 26, 2004, 09:35 AM
multiple trials.

It's easily possible, to gather together lots of 2-month trials, and then just re-register for each one. Downside is, you have to keep changing your gamertag, plus-side... free 2-month periods of time.

Ketchup345
Mar 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
If you are staying offline, the GC would be better (no Gamertag required), you could always have your friends go out and buy their own $5 memory cards.

One bad part about the XBox that I don't think was mentioned was that if you ever had a problem with your XBox, and had it replaced, you would have to start from level 1 again (since the characters are on your HD). On the GC, they are on memory cards, so the only worry is memory card corrosion.

KingChaos
Mar 26, 2004, 12:16 PM
On 2004-03-25 20:31, Mr_Special wrote:
um... if you have PSO for GCN, why not stick with that? :/

besides, if you get Xbox version you won't be able to play offline mutliplayer, because there is none - ie no way to play with your friends unless they all buy Xboxes, PSO, BB, HL and Xbox live...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-25 20:31 ]</font>

yes you can play multi

if uve got a mate with xbox live u can copy hs gamertag instead of ayin £40 a year

UnrealCube
Mar 26, 2004, 12:32 PM
i play offline...and dont have live...

Butoden
Mar 26, 2004, 01:43 PM
I heard graphics looked nicer on GameCube, like the ripple effect in the water you get in Gal Da Val and Seabed Levels. And the Telepipes look less nice so I heard http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif AND X-Box has less updates online than GameCube. (or slower whatever, I think they're pretty up-to-date with gamecube these days)

Yep, I got the GameCube version... I wouldn't know why I would get it for X-Box too...

Muzzaro
Mar 26, 2004, 07:09 PM
Ok.

You can buy a memory card, and save your character onto that, for updates incase of "hard drive errors".

Also, the Xbox gets the updates the same as the GC. There are a few (not many) XB only quests, but still we usually get the updates when the GC people do.

And the graphics are better Xbox wise, due to the power behind it.

This is like comparing cars. Who cares what it looks like, or how much trim it has, it gets you from A to B. I think all gamers should have all three consoles, or they miss out on too much.

Mr_Special
Mar 26, 2004, 07:12 PM
well, cost is an issue in this case BECAUSE HE ALREADY HAS THE FRICKIN' GAME.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

regarding PSOX, do you have have Xbox live to continue playing offline, or is it just to register or something?

i'd hope you don't need to have Xbox live to play at any time, cuz... what happens when PSOX is no longer supported? wouldn't that mean you have a usesless disc? O_o

that would really "sux0r" for people like me who keep all their games and eventually go back to them...

A2K
Mar 26, 2004, 07:29 PM
A few reports I've read indicate that Xbox has a more stable rendering engine, and everything is brighter due to a higher output signal, but, as it was also already said, the Xbox version is lacking a few pixel-shading effects: telepipes, Rafoie, etc.

Really, though, on the Xbox version, what matters the most is are you actually going to use the Xbox Live account--that is to say, are you just going to be playing PSO or are you planning to buy a few other online titles? If it's just PSO you're going to be playing then you're really better off with the Gamecube version if you have it already.

Rogue100
Mar 27, 2004, 08:05 PM
regarding PSOX, do you have have Xbox live to continue playing offline, or is it just to register or something?

i'd hope you don't need to have Xbox live to play at any time, cuz... what happens when PSOX is no longer supported? wouldn't that mean you have a usesless disc? O_o

that would really "sux0r" for people like me who keep all their games and eventually go back to them...

No, the disc won't become useless. When you sign up for XBox live, it puts a file with your gamertag on your XBox system. This is what is needed to play PSOX offline, not any sort of connectivity to XBL servers. As long as the file stays on your system, it can be used with PSOX, regardless of whether it's still an active gamertag, or whatever. So, if SonicFan can somehow get one of these files onto his system, either by signing up for XBL proper or using one of the two month free XBL trial cards, or copying one off of a friends XBox, he will be able to play PSOX offline as much as he wants, long after XBL gets shut down.

MrCallahan
Mar 29, 2004, 12:34 AM
I guess I'll just throw this on here since the discussion is already started...

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to start PSO. She does not have a GC or Xbox, I have both. I also have PSO for the GC already. Now, it would be cheaper all around for her to go the GC way, but I want voice chat. Will we need to purchase hunter's licenses, or are those included with the Live subscription?

A2K
Mar 29, 2004, 12:52 AM
Well without owning either system, it would be cheaper on Gamecube, considering all the costs. Hunter's Licenses are an extra purchase in addition to Xbox Live. Same as GCN: $8.95, although there is a two-month grace period instead of one. Make sure you get a keyboard for the GCN version, is all I have to say about that.

Rogue100
Mar 29, 2004, 01:54 AM
On 2004-03-28 21:34, MrCallahan wrote:
I'm trying to get a friend of mine to start PSO. She does not have a GC or Xbox, I have both. I also have PSO for the GC already. Now, it would be cheaper all around for her to go the GC way, but I want voice chat. Will we need to purchase hunter's licenses, or are those included with the Live subscription?

HL's are seperate from the XBL subscription!

On 2004-03-28 21:52, A2K wrote:
Well without owning either system, it would be cheaper on Gamecube, considering all the costs. Hunter's Licenses are an extra purchase in addition to Xbox Live. Same as GCN: $8.95, although there is a two-month grace period instead of one. Make sure you get a keyboard for the GCN version, is all I have to say about that.

Keep in mind, though, that with XBox, although you need to purchase XBL, no extra hardware is required (headset is included with XBL startup kit, and keyboard is useful but not at all neccesary with having a headset), whereas with GC you need to get the online adaptor and the keyboard, which along with the fact that GC only gets one months HL free to XBox's two months, really makes the price difference minimal. Also keep in mind that with XBL, you aren't limited to just two online games, in case you can ever pull yourself away from PSO.

kevlar_pso
Mar 30, 2004, 01:32 PM
Ok, here is the one and only reason you should get it on the Xbox. I have both so I can be objective here. Unlike the RAVING FANBOYS! lol

After you first hit start you come to the game data select screen. Where you can select from four different "game datas" which are actually the gamertags you have on your Xbox. Each "game data" holds twelve slots each for a character. You do the math. You can even use the same "game data" all four times. Not to mention bringing in memory cards into the picture.

So if you are all about offline multiplayer. You need to buy the Xbox version. Personally I've had to delete characters off my GCN PSO cause I needed the space and didn't have any extra room on my 251 or 59 mem cards. =^[ That was hard cause in a sense I was killing off that character. Even if certain friends/co-workers of mine had moved on, i still found it hard to kill their characters. On the Xbox however, I've had no problem.

Besides, you can't call yourself a true PSO nut unless you've had it on every system! Yes I have Ep. III, just gotit the other day. I also plan on gettin Ep. I&II for the PC.

KingChaos
Mar 31, 2004, 02:23 PM
The Best People To Ask Are Guys Who Have Both Versions

oeagrus
Mar 31, 2004, 03:38 PM
That's me! I have both! Played online GC from Nov. 2002 through April '03 when I moved to the Xbox version.

I would have to say that although the GC has some cooler special effects, the Xbox is slightly superior for several reasons:
- no FSODx-ing. The worst that can happen on the Xbox is normal FSODding. So you lose your unequipped items... no big whoop.
- with 'real time' voice chat, it's a LOT easier to communicate with your co-players. Typing in the cube is still quite okay, but 'talking' is much more efficient.
- and like a previous person said, you have room for like 12 characters per license, so you can try 1 of each character and go from there without ever erasing any of them.

On the Xbox downside, there is also a lot of swearing, screaming children, rapping idiots and other assorted ass-munching behavior you'll be subjected to while in lobbies. It was always very quiet and peaceful playing on the Gcube!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AndyPandy
Mar 31, 2004, 05:36 PM
Ive got both...in fact ive got all of em lol.

Im on PSOX at the moment Euro version. Pro's and cons? Voice Chat really is superb on XBOX once you find a good group to play with. It makes the whole game a little more personal that typing on the keyboard. Challenge mode is a joy on XBOX and works great, something that I beleive far outclasses the Gamecube.I dont think you have played PSO untill you have tried challenge with a group of mates on voice comms...superb. The other major plus point in the whole integration with XBOX LIVE as a whole....you make lots of friends on LIVE, play PSO with your mates, then play with them again on other online games Live supports. You dont have to say good bye to them everytime you get fed up of PSO...simply go and play other LIVE games with them.

Now the Gamecube version seems to get priority from Sega and ST, so Gamecube is always first with new quests. Gamecube also allows you to play with people from all over the world..XBOX does not allow this....this is something I miss more than anything.

To sum up...I personally think the XBOX version of PSO has the edge over the Gamecube. Reasons...XBOX LIVE integration....voice comms, easier access to be able to create more characters, no character corruption.