PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the DC episode 2 and GC episode 1&2

kutulu
Mar 26, 2004, 02:56 PM
For those that have played both of these games Im wondering if their pretty much identical. Or have they added additional characters, levels, features and so forth for the GC version. Im planning on either getting the GC version or DC episode 2 this weekend.

anwserman
Mar 26, 2004, 02:57 PM
Dreamcast is Version 2.
Gamecube/X-Box is Episode 1 and 2.

Gamecube/X-Box is everything Dreamcast Version 2 is, with some bug fixes (note I said some), and with a brand new adventure.

DezoPenguin
Mar 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
There are significant differences. Probably the most significant is that Sonic Team still maintains online servers for Gamecube and X-box, while the Dreamcast ones have gone bye-bye.

Other than that, Ep. I&II includes:

>Offline multiplayer, including c-mode and Battle Mode.
>"Episode II," consisting of four new Areas to explore (though two of them, VR Temple and VR Spaceship, are recycled from Dreamcast battle mode).
>Additional online content over and above what was included in DC, including an entire new Area, "Control Tower"
>Three additional new character classes: FOmar, HUcaseal, and the butt-kicking RAmarl.
>Slight tweaks to the character classes to balance them out a bit. HUmars no longer rule the known universe. Forces are quite a bit better in Ep.I&II generally than they were in DC Ver.2. There is distinct variance in what techniques can be used, and there are other special abilities such as android HP regeneration, tech damage bonuses, and the like. You can no longer use infinite stat materials.
>Considerably easier difficulty on Ultimate Mode. GC/Xbox Ultimate mode is far, far easier.
>Rare drops happen more often.
>Other tweaks to the system. Certain items are gone (Waah! I miss my State/Maintenance!), others are changed, many new items have been added.
>Some bugs are gone. New bugs have replaced them.

And the most significant change of all...

>Mome plays dead during the De Rol Le battle at the end of Unsealed Door so you don't have to protect him. Woot!

All in all, I prefer it greatly to Ver.2, though the original Version 1 was still the most fun, IMHO. On the other hand, I think that's probably because then it was still Shiny and New instead of being something I had done for thousands of hours.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2004, 03:20 PM
The Dreamcast v2 lacked the following--

Episode 2
RAmarl
HUcaseal
FOmar
A number of rare weapons
Special models for semi-rare weapons like the Cross Scar and Flowen's Sword (they were represented with the normal model, but with changing colors-- they were more or less considered to be normal weapons; in Ultimate they didn't even appear as ?SPECIAL WEAPON? when found)
Red boxes (they were all color coded as if they weren't special)
Episode 2 lobbies (they were all like Lobby 11, and the "soccer" lobbies)

DCv2 also had what looked like an Atari logo hidden on Pioneer 2, that has mysteriously disappeared in the GameCube and Xbox versions.

There were probably a few less-obvious differences in the content, as well.

Jason
Mar 26, 2004, 03:30 PM
Don't ever bother getting version two of Dreamcast if your planning on getting Ep I & II of GameCube.

kutulu
Mar 26, 2004, 03:49 PM
On 2004-03-26 12:30, Jason wrote:
Don't ever bother getting version two of Dreamcast if your planning on getting Ep I & II of GameCube.

Well right now its a question of whether I want to spend $49+ on the GC episode 1&2, or spend the 9.98 for version 2 on the DC. I have still yet to decide though.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2004, 04:02 PM
On 2004-03-26 12:49, kutulu wrote:

Well right now its a question of whether I want to spend $49+ on the GC episode 1&2, or spend the 9.98 for version 2 on the DC. I have still yet to decide though.

The GC version is the better version, by far. The graphics are tweaked a bit, there's far more to do, far more to find, the servers are still up, and the overall balance of the game has been TREMENDOUSLY improved. The GC and Xbox versions are just plain better.

kutulu
Mar 26, 2004, 04:08 PM
On 2004-03-26 13:02, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2004-03-26 12:49, kutulu wrote:

The GC version is the better version, by far. The graphics are tweaked a bit, there's far more to do, far more to find, the servers are still up, and the overall balance of the game has been TREMENDOUSLY improved. The GC and Xbox versions are just plain better.

And that has alot to do with my problem. Im not ready to spend the amount of money to play online yet. I own Episode 3 and i've beaten twice on offline, and I used to play the DC version 1 online and offline all the time but I never owned version 2. So now im stuck between investing the money in Episode 1&2, buying a hunters license, and getting the controller keyboard or just getting version 2 and playing it offline till im ready to invest in the former.

Rich_T
Mar 26, 2004, 04:19 PM
if your going down the dreamcast route, try and get hold of the Jap or EU versions of PSO as the servers for those are still up and running.

kutulu
Mar 26, 2004, 04:21 PM
On 2004-03-26 13:19, Rich_T wrote:
if your going down the dreamcast route, try and get hold of the Jap or EU versions of PSO as the servers for those are still up and running.

Thanks I think i'll working on getting the EU PSO version 2 now.

Rain_1
Mar 26, 2004, 05:25 PM
Get the Ver2 PC version.

But i don't think i can discuss the advantages it offer in the public boards tho..

oh well... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Drayma
Mar 26, 2004, 07:59 PM
Its not called online for nothing but GC PSO you can play with others offline, DC you can't.

kazuma56
Mar 26, 2004, 08:20 PM
And something else others did not post was that they took away animation on chars to I guess balance them out, because the Male saber,Double saber, and Partizan combos have lost the back-step/slight movement backwards after the end of the combo thus only sabers and partizan's can now hit an enemy without you getting whacked to the ground (using a god/battle that is), the Sword combo has changed for Males for the Worst I guess, because you move in after the end of the combo so you will always get hit unless you attack the enemy(ies) from the side or behind them.

_Sinue_
Mar 27, 2004, 02:10 AM
One dissapointment about Ep I & II, is that Ulimate mode has been severely nerfed. If you get DC v.2, don't expect to make much progress very fast. It's extreemely unforgiving, even for a level 100 v.1 character. All v.1 rares are basically worthless until you can boost your ATP enough.. and even then, they will do less damage than the v.2 weapons. Unfortunately, the only way to get v.2 weapons is to play Ultimate mode.

Whereas in Ep I & II you could beat the Sil Dragon at level 50 or so.. you shouldn't expect to beat him in v.2 until at least level 80 - if not into your 100's. Expecially if you have an android character.

kutulu
Mar 27, 2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Because of what I've learned on these boards about the differences in the games I've ended up purchasing episode 1&2 for my GC. It wasnt easy considering I was low on cash but I had some gba games to trade. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif