PDA

View Full Version : PSO names! Wtf were they smokin?!

Xero_Silvera
Mar 26, 2004, 06:33 PM
Anyone notice the odd names of creatures in pso somewhat relate? Sinow? Maybe like 'robot' or something. Gue as in Gulgus-Gue, Gi-Gue? Maybe like 'a more powerful form'? Pal? Another upgrade in power maybe? (Ie: Pal sharks, Pal rappys) Just a wonder.. and not that this relates really.. but is Olga Flow named Flow becuz he is flowen?
-xero

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xero_Silvera on 2004-03-26 16:31 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2004, 06:47 PM
"Gue" seems to mean "Leader" or "King". As far as "Sinow" goes... My understanding is that this word identifies with Ninjas, somehow. It's also my understanding that "Shino" is the same word, when written in the Japanese alphabet. I'd feel better about the Sinow/Shino statements if someone fluent in Japanese, such as Navi, could verify though.

Eihwaz
Mar 26, 2004, 06:51 PM
On 2004-03-26 15:33, Xero_Silvera wrote:
Anyone notice the odd names of creatures in pso somewhat relate? Sinow? Maybe like 'robot' or something. Gue as in Gulgus-Gue, Gi-Gue? Maybe like 'a more powerful form'? Pal? Another upgrade in power maybe? (Ie: Pal sharks, Ral rappys) Just a wonder.. and not that this relates really.. but is Olga Flow named Flow becuz he is flowen?
-xero

Olga Flow's name is derived from the fact that he's Flowen, yes. And since he had the OLGA AI implanted into him, that makes...Olga Flow.

Sinows seem to be fairly advanced military robots.

Gees are some kind of bee-like creature native to Ragol, and Gee-gue is just a mutated/"Queen" Gee.

EDIT: Myria does have a point. Sinows in Ep1 are quite ninja like, jumping around, cloaking themselves, striking at you with sharp blades...

But Ep2 Sinows seem different. They use brutal punching, and overall aren't nearly as lithe. They're a lot bigger, but they do have that cloaking device...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-03-26 15:57 ]</font>

Mr_Special
Mar 26, 2004, 06:53 PM
On 2004-03-26 15:51, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2004-03-26 15:33, Xero_Silvera wrote:
Anyone notice the odd names of creatures in pso somewhat relate? Sinow? Maybe like 'robot' or something. Gue as in Gulgus-Gue, Gi-Gue? Maybe like 'a more powerful form'? Pal? Another upgrade in power maybe? (Ie: Pal sharks, Ral rappys) Just a wonder.. and not that this relates really.. but is Olga Flow named Flow becuz he is flowen?
-xero

Olga Flow's name is derived from the fact that he's Flowen, yes. And since he had the OLGA AI implanted into him, that makes...Olga Flow.

Sinows seem to be fairly advanced military robots.

Gees are some kind of bee-like creature native to Ragol, and Gee-gue is just a mutated/"Queen" Gee.

I love working on the gaps ST left in the storyline. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AKA, stating the obvious? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-26 16:44 ]</font>

Xero_Silvera
Mar 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
Just wondering.. and i didnt think about how answering the flow question might ruin storyline.. ah well, if youre on the forums generally youv made it to him.. and if you havnt you wont even know what the olga ai is, HA! as far as Sinow goes, yea, come to think of it.. Sinow does ring a bell elsewhere of PSO.. erm.. and even though the episode 2 sinows are much less agile, they still leap at you AND disarm you as well as teleporting.. (which i think is just a high speed movement your characters senses dont pick up on, as they are not able to use techniques.-xero

A2K
Mar 26, 2004, 07:27 PM
Ha... I've occasionally called the Sinows "ninjabots" but I didn't know that there was a reason for that, hehe. I also call Dubchic and Dubchiches "zombiebots", although I doubt there's any link there.

Mr_Special
Mar 26, 2004, 07:47 PM
the teleporting, high power, spewing of fire, and cloaking are definately Ninja-like abilties... as are Ep1 Sinow's leap and pimp-dagger slash/slap.

in other words, I concur http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Xero_Silvera
Mar 26, 2004, 07:56 PM
You know whats funny... iv always heard people use that statement, and never once has it occured to me to ask what concur means. Im just too damn lazy to look it up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif mind spillin?
-xero
ps: anyone else who can understand the number system in PSO's world, along with the words around the city? Like if you look above the shops and tekker, it actually says what each one is.. i didnt notice they were real words till a month after i started.. lol. 'tekker' 'arms shop' 'tools shop' 'guards shop'
if i remebered correctly, thats what they say. and above the bank is 'check room'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xero_Silvera on 2004-03-26 16:57 ]</font>

Dragon_Knight
Mar 26, 2004, 09:02 PM
The PSO font is the same as our English font but it simply looks wierd, the numeral system is kinda screwy too, I don't remeber all of it.

Concur means to agree with someone.

Cheep
Mar 26, 2004, 09:15 PM
There's a simple process to naming things which I've explained before.
1. Eat the interesting mushrooms in your back yard or at the park

2. Wander into the forest after the mushrooms take effect

3. Find something that inspires you

4. Try to explain the names
This or consulting children with vivid imaginations,such as me, works. Using logic never works because the people that made the game are crazy. As are the people who write anime. Where do you think pokemon come from.

Hmmm...Maybe head truma....

Xero_Silvera
Mar 26, 2004, 09:50 PM
anime writers are really... f**ked in the head sometimes, ya know? iv seen some PRETTY strange stuff on different animes.. *shiver* mostly just big robots, though. On topic, the numbers are like..1,2,3 dots inside top and bottom brackets. ( these [] things).. then there is a line inside brackets, then a line next to a smaller line with a dot on top of the smaller one (like this |i ) then there is three dots to the left side of the line. ive seen others, but i think it skips from 3 to one of those..
-xero

JBlink
Mar 27, 2004, 01:51 AM
Pokemon was based on the writer's bug collecton.

Blitzkommando
Mar 27, 2004, 04:19 AM
Most of the mags, as stated in previous threads, are based off of Hindu gods/goddesses. And much of what the names are base on is on language itself. Many games do this. Some base off Latin, Greek, or even Hebrew. PSO has a little mix of quite a few. German, French, Hindu, Japanese, English, and Spanish to mention a few. Basically names are often a lot more than what seems. This goes not just for the creatures but for the weapons, items, and techniques as well.

Mr_Special
Mar 27, 2004, 09:50 AM
On 2004-03-26 22:51, JBlink wrote:

that made no sense whatsoever...

Pokémon comes from the words "Pocket" and "Monster".
the JP name was originally "Pocket Monsters"...

Jack
Mar 27, 2004, 09:58 AM
No, what he means are the names and designs of Pokémon.

Arislan
Mar 27, 2004, 10:10 AM
And yes, Meira's right on the Sinows, kind of.

Sinow Beat
Shino Beeto
Shinobi

The Japanese love their plays on words.
Figured out Dubchic(h) today on accident, looking up a word on my friend's Electronic Dictionary...
Dabchick is the name of an extremely family oriented bird group, the offspring will nest near the mother, and they will continue to live as a family, revolving around the parents, till the parents die. Coincidence?

Mr_Special
Mar 27, 2004, 10:11 AM
but when you look at the names and designs, they are not based off of bugs http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

it still makes no sense...

Cheep
Mar 27, 2004, 01:12 PM
On 2004-03-26 22:51, JBlink wrote:

Yes,but you must follow the process to make an ant into pikachu. The bugs are the inspiration inwhich you find in the forest after eating the mushrooms.

Flashlight
Mar 28, 2004, 12:41 PM
On 2004-03-26 16:47, Mr_Special wrote:
the teleporting, high power, spewing of fire, and cloaking are definately Ninja-like abilties... as are Ep1 Sinow's leap and pimp-dagger slash/slap.

in other words, I concur http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Did no1 ever had that a Shinow (Ep.1) Multiplied????..he jumps back but dont charge..he cross arms and then u see 2 or 3 to the left and right

Flashlight

Cheep
Mar 28, 2004, 01:11 PM
On 2004-03-28 09:41, Flashlight wrote:

On 2004-03-26 16:47, Mr_Special wrote:

Did no1 ever had that a Shinow (Ep.1) Multiplied????..he jumps back but dont charge..he cross arms and then u see 2 or 3 to the left and right

Flashlight

So I'm not crazy!I do hope everyone else has noticed.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 29, 2004, 06:23 AM
On 2004-03-28 10:11, Cheep wrote:

On 2004-03-28 09:41, Flashlight wrote:

Flashlight

So I'm not crazy!I do hope everyone else has noticed.

Bah!
Just do Rabarta, a freeze trap, or just attack the red-accented one. The yellow ones disappear after one hit people!
Common knowledge to most but maybe someone didn't know this, had never seen it before.

On topic, yes crazy names.
Especially on NPC's in the quests. Relating to those crazy looking HUmars and RAmars, not the NPC's that join you with their no mags, mostly single hit combos, and two techs(tech users) and no traps.

LollipopLolita
Mar 29, 2004, 01:01 PM
On 2004-03-27 01:19, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Most of the mags, as stated in previous threads, are based off of Hindu gods/goddesses. And much of what the names are base on is on language itself. Many games do this. Some base off Latin, Greek, or even Hebrew. PSO has a little mix of quite a few. German, French, Hindu, Japanese, English, and Spanish to mention a few. Basically names are often a lot more than what seems. This goes not just for the creatures but for the weapons, items, and techniques as well.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2029

Mindcooler
Mar 29, 2004, 03:21 PM
edit: the japanese got fuxored

tollaw = tourou = kamakiri = praying mantis

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mindcooler on 2004-03-29 12:22 ]</font>

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 30, 2004, 12:40 AM
This leads to the question of waht they were thinking when writing the names of the characters. I can't identify any specific language. There's Dacci (Dachi for those who don't know.) Doronbo, Tonzlar, but my favorite is Gekigasky. ....? Then there are normal names like Sue and Bernie and Lionel.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

We have already decided that whoever made this game was smoking something.

Mixfortune
Apr 1, 2004, 03:26 AM
Hidoom -> hidari = left
Migium -> migi = right

"umu" is probably something like "part" or something like that.

Squall179
Apr 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
Gekigasky

That sounds like a butchered form of a Russian(?) name.

PsychoMantis
Apr 3, 2004, 04:39 PM
whats with the double posting...trying to build a big post count http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif (not like i have many posts either lol) and whats a gekigasky or whatever? lol

oh yeah has any1 ever wondered about Booma or Evil Shark. like booma, is he supposed to boom when he hits u or what? the silly little creature cant even deal any damage even if he tried his hardest! and evil shark; he's not even evil, he's got this big ol' stupid smurk on his face. has any1 else wondered about these completely useless li'l vermins? i'd say they are the stupidest things in this game. lol j/k

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsychoMantis on 2004-04-03 13:41 ]</font>

Xero_Silvera
Apr 3, 2004, 04:50 PM
Wow a thread thats to 30 posts! shweet!
anyone notice when the sinow go to use their special attacks the hand position is the same as a ninjas? like if anyone plays Soul Caliber, when taki casts a spell or banishes, she holds up her index finger with her left hand clenched around the right..
oddly resembling, aint it?

King_Rappy
Apr 4, 2004, 12:41 AM
Most of the Rappies are named after planets/star systems in the PS universe. Pal(ma) Rappy, Rag(ol) Rappy, Al(gol)Rappy, and... Well, El Rappy is probably just made to sound cool or something. As for Sinows, the katakana for them reads "shinowa." It isn't all that similar to shinobi. It is still rather obvious that the word Sinow comes from shinobi. Gee is like bee, only with a 'g'... Gi Gue is a mistranslation of Gee Gue, guess... Pofuilly Slimes were called Poofy Slimes in the japanese version if I'm not mistaken, and that's self explanitory. As for Wolves... Well, if you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be using the internet. =P Monest stands for Mothmant nest. Del stands for D-cell, or D-cellular. Dubchic comes from that type of bird, and Gillchic is most likely based off of Dubchic. Dubwitch might be based on the word witch, as it is constantly reviving them. Witches were thougt to have evil powers back in midieval times. Gillchich etc. are just named after their normal counterparts. And that's all for now.

IceBurner
Apr 6, 2004, 04:20 AM
I once wondered of Boomas were meant to be Boomers ... this theory is likely totally unfounded, but bear with me for a moment and compare the way Boomas swing while trying to mangle your body...to the way a quarterback passes.

Yep. You could stick a football on the end of a Booma's paw and suddenly find the urge to go long. That's pretty much all that they do, other than walking around. If any one on Sonic Team is known to be a Jets, Cardinals, or Bengals fan, you just might be able to draw a connection with quarterback Boomer Esiason.

Or I could have just gone stark raving mad from talking to Rappies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif, bwahahahahahahahahahaha, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

ShrimpChips
Apr 7, 2004, 12:51 AM
Can someone explain this name, please..

GIBBLES

lol.