PDA

View Full Version : Magic: The Gathering

Link00seven
Mar 27, 2004, 06:32 PM
Hey.

I've decided to start playing this again. As I was going threw some stuff, I found my old 7th Edition Starter Decks I bought over a year ago.

I've got a couple of questions though.

1: How should I improve my deck? I mean--I can buy booster packs but im a newbie and dont know how to edit decks and stuff.

2: What's a good website for MTG information?

Thanks for the help. I'd also appricate any other advice you have to the MTG newbie.

Mustashi2278
Mar 27, 2004, 10:15 PM
I maybe able to help you, im a MTG champ at my school http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1.Try to do a balanced deck, 20 lands, 20 creatures and 20 others.(limit your deck to 60 cards) If you buy booster packs, you need to buy some of the right edition. I recomend you 8th edition and onslaught, stay away from Dark steel and Scourge, thoses sux!!!! ALOT!!!
You also need to choose a color. make pure color or dual color only! 3 or more color sux unless its a Gold deck. Here is a list of color that works well with others
Green/blue, my deck, they are VERY strong but VERY hard 2 make. Mine is worth 350$ http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. you need a bunch of BIG green creatures, Elvish pipers, thoes are very importent, also very rare, a bunch of flying creatures, card drawers and alot of counterspells.

Green/white enchantemnt deck. VERY strong and eazy to make. Put a bunch of low cost creatures, some big creatures and ALOT of enchant creatures! I highly sugest Sprit links, Armadilo cloaks and a bunch of power boosting things. A small creature can easly become 30/30 trample and give you 3 times has much life that it does damage, very strong type of deck

Red/Black put of bunch of creature destroying spells and damage dealing spells. Add alot of big creatures and try to discard them. Add alot of zombifys and stuff like that.

2. http://www.yavipengs.com its in french but card description is in english.
http://www.magicthegathering.com The offical site.

Link00seven
Mar 27, 2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the tips.

My friend said to buy a DarkSteel deck, and use the cards from it and my current 7th edition starter set (I just started playin recently) and I could probably make a good deck. Problem is, the starter deck (7th edition) isnt that good.

What do you think I should buy next?

BTW: The 7th Edition Starter has about 65 cards ranging from blue, white, red, and green. The best card is sadly a Thorn Elemental w/ 7/7 and its a green.

The problem really arises in that I dont know where to start at all. I need to use the starter deck cards with some other cards to create a good deck...but I just dont know what to buy next :-/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Linkooseven on 2004-03-27 20:37 ]</font>

geewj
Mar 28, 2004, 12:12 AM
I used to play MTG. I didn't started during 3rd edition (revised, I think it was caled).

Great game, but after 6th edition I thought a lot of the cards and rules were turning to crap.

KaFKa
Mar 28, 2004, 12:26 AM
well, although i cant link to the site here, the wizards boards are a great place to get deck creation tips and general advice

as the colors and strategies are going now, you should start off with getting a "fat pack" of any given set. this will give you foour or five booster packs, a 60-card tournament pack, a countdown die to keep trackof life and a bunch of other neat goodies (plus a book to read when you get bored)

my advice is to get a green deck, and choose between a "stompey" deck or an "elf" deck. theyre two decks with almost opposite strategys.

the stompie deck has many low-cost creatures and mana boosting, essentially, the strategy is to get a bunch of creatures out, make a massive attack, and then bump up the group with sorcerys and instants. my current deck can win on the third to fifth turn http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

elf defcks are made for the long haul, once you get the right cards out, you keep gaining life and creatures, essentially making your opponent nothing but a nuisance. the only problem with this kind of deck is that you have to either deck your opponent or splash enough white in to be bale to use test of endurance (if you have 50 or more life at the beginning of your upkeep, you win)

thats about all i can say without linking to other places. if you want i can PM you the link to the wizards boards (wizards being the company that makes MTG cars)

Solstis
Mar 28, 2004, 12:35 AM
Well, if we were talking Invasion (and the one after it, whatever it's called) block decks, a Blue/White or pure Blue deck can own.

Get you some board clearing cards, Return X to opponent's hand, and a hefty dose of Counterspells, and you got yourself deck there, pardner! (don't forget the "ping" creatures---tap to deal damage)

I once made a black/white deck (actually, I still have it somewhere) with Necrovolvers, Ga... (legendary white whats-his-face), Desolation Angels, and some life regenerators.

Really PO'ed some people with that one.

But these days, I dunno how the game is played. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

geewj
Mar 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
I had a kick ass blue deck. You had to check with me before doing anything.

KaFKa
Mar 28, 2004, 12:50 AM
On 2004-03-27 21:35, Solstis wrote:
(don't forget the "ping" creatures---tap to deal damage)

oh my god, i just had a bad flashback of the painful loss to a machinegun crab deck T_T

(in case you people were wondering, there is a blue card, forgot which one it was, that lets you tap the enchanted creature for 1 point of damage. put this enchantment on a horseshoe crab, which lets you pay one blue for untapping it, and add in the blue sorcery "high tide(all islands produce one extra blue mana)", and you have what the name implies, a machinegun crab. now you just add in the obligatory counterspells and pther things that go along with blue decks, and you have one helluva painful deck)

rising_sunset
Mar 28, 2004, 12:50 AM
my bro plays a lot, but I know some from watching him play. Let's see...
He had this very interesting 2 decks that he would always use...
One is pure black and other is pure green, Don't know about black but green is revloved around the phantoms!

KaFKa
Mar 28, 2004, 12:51 AM
On 2004-03-27 21:47, Prof_Frink wrote:
I had a kick ass blue deck. You had to check with me before doing anything.

thats called a control deck, frink. i have one, but i normally dont play it unless in playing against a red deck

geewj
Mar 28, 2004, 12:59 AM
It was an early one, with the good old cards. Not all this set decks crap or tournament decks. And before people made the exact same decks as eachother.

Heh, also had an infinite damage deck.

*in an 8 player game*

"I uh...fireball everyone for 1 million...each."

KaFKa
Mar 28, 2004, 01:04 AM
ah yes, i remeber people playing those decks

*in a 12 player game*

"you all die"

(lige-gaining deck player) "i have at least two thousand life, how is that possible?"

"uhm, you just took four thousand?"

Link00seven
Mar 28, 2004, 08:05 AM
So...I guess to start i'll pick up one of them green decks you were talking about. And I agree with that statement, since I did like the green cards I had in that starter deck...

How much are the "fat packs?"

Btw, you guys talk about 2000 life and stuff, that just sounds crazy when your talking to a newbie! The guide says you start at 20 LOL!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Linkooseven on 2004-03-28 05:08 ]</font>

KaFKa
Mar 28, 2004, 09:45 AM
fat packs range anywhere from $20 at your local Wizards of the Coast store, to $50 at your local comic book ripoff store.

and for a new guy wanting to get a decent green dek going, i would suggest the oddesy block, it has lots of good green cards and other nice things.

if you want a good starting deck to base off of, i would suggest the premade deck fron the oddesy block caled "trounce o' matic" you get alot of good green cards in there, as well as a few nice other goodies for other decks.

2000 life? with a well made white life gaining deck, you can gain life somewhere in the neighborhood of ten to twenty life per spell your opponent takes. (ideal for multiplayer) then you have other things that give you even more life...

Blatt4Life
Mar 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
On 2004-03-28 06:45, KaFKa wrote:

2000 life? with a well made white life gaining deck, you can gain life somewhere in the neighborhood of ten to twenty life per spell your opponent takes. (ideal for multiplayer) then you have other things that give you even more life...

Yeah when my friends and I decided not to play with a max health (I think in tournaments you can only go up to 99 health), someone gained a huge amount of life.

rising_sunset
Mar 28, 2004, 11:53 AM
Actually 99 health can be brought down really fast, if you have no defense:disapprove: I think green decks are able to do that. I don't remember but I remember my bro having 30 something squrriel tokens and used coat of arms and did MASSIVE DAMAGE! lol

SuperSpeedyv2
Mar 28, 2004, 08:02 PM
On 2004-03-27 19:15, Mustashi2278 wrote:
1.Try to do a balanced deck, 20 lands, 20 creatures and 20 others.(limit your deck to 60 cards)
Not really. A 1:1:1 ratio isn't needed. If you go to wizards.com/magic, and look at the articles that show some decks that have won tournament... you'll see that any ratio of creatures and other spells can be used. But 20-24 lands is a must!

If you buy booster packs, you need to buy some of the right edition. I recomend you 8th edition and onslaught, stay away from Dark steel and Scourge, thoses sux!!!! ALOT!!!

Darksteel isn't bad. It has indestructable artifacts, Talon of Pain, Echoing Truth, Panoptic Mirror, the Arcbound creatures, SkullClamp, Gemini Engine, a bunch of golems that have affinity for a basic land type, Death Cloud (MBC's dream card)... I could go on!

_Ted_
Mar 28, 2004, 08:16 PM

1.Try to do a balanced deck, 20 lands, 20 creatures and 20 others.(limit your deck to 60 cards)

Why limit your deck to 60 cards? Although it does get a bit hard to shuffle when you hit 90 though...

metermore
Mar 28, 2004, 11:33 PM
I maybe able to help you, im a MTG champ at my school http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

20 lands are the limit
anyway person ally i go with a elf deck or my 3 color deck(red blue and green+artifacts)

there is also sevral things that you must take into acount w/ the diff colors:
blue is manily counter/drawing instences and for cretures basicaly flying
main creature:???

green is powering up monsters and in my opinion the best for cretures because of the combos that you can do.
main creature:ELFS

red you would use for a burn or dealing damage w/ sorcerys the cretures mainly do the same
main creature:goblins

white is all about healing and protection the creatures if you get the right ones are almost the best in the game
main creature:clerics/angels

black killing off cretures and useing your own health to do damage the creatures basicaly just the to protect you from others
main creature: undead/skelltons

KaFKa
Mar 29, 2004, 04:51 AM
On 2004-03-28 20:33, metermore wrote:
20 lands are the limit

for most decks

blue is manily counter/drawing instences and for cretures basicaly flying
main creature:???

little tricky fuckers is blues main creature, and blue is basically your "control" color most of the time

green is powering up monsters and in my opinion the best for cretures because of the combos that you can do.
main creature:ELFS

actually, green is also known for its huge beatsticks. take blastoderm for example. four green for a 5/5 that cannot be target yadda yadda. the theres the cloudscraper, which is a huge 13/13... i could go on, but i digress, green is the color for most fun decks, and is the second fastest (imo) but the elf decks are fragile when put up to a stompie

red you would use for a burn or dealing damage w/ sorcerys the cretures mainly do the same
main creature:goblins

red, fastest color, most potentially destructive. with cards like shock, lightning bolt, breaking point... yeah, burn... if you want to go back in the day, theres an urza saga card called "sneak attack" find that card, and watch the fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

red is most known for its goblins, but many people dont realize that red kavu decks, or even red beastie decks, are poerful when built correctly

white is all about healing and protection the creatures if you get the right ones are almost the best in the game
main creature:clerics/angels

dont forget the soldiers! dont count out the white weenie beatdown!!

but yes, white is all about "you cant touch me while i gain uber life"

black killing off cretures and useing your own health to do damage the creatures basicaly just the to protect you from others
main creature: undead/skelltons

black is such a devastating deck. ostracize, duress, etc...

basically, black is the hardest color to build a succesfull deck out of, but when done right, is nearly unstoppable

Mustashi2278
Mar 29, 2004, 06:16 PM
If you really want to make a cheap deck...
5 color sliver deck all the way!!
Find 4 Magma slivers, 4 essense slivers, 4 brood slivers, 4 sysnape slivers, 4 toxine slivers and 4 ``can't block my slivers`` slivers ( dont rember the name) The other is soooooo dead. My freind had one. It's so funny! I attack, you take 489572309573 (im not kiding, he did that much once) damages and heal 4 times that, I draw 25 cards and put 25 sliver tokens in play. You are dead.

Also, Thorn Elementals aren't that crapy. 7/7 un blockable damage can be quite formidable, when you have 8 in play ( wich hapens to me alot http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, with clones of course) I can have easly 6 of them in play on turn 6 , thanks to Elvish pipers, seedborn Muse and Clones http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And i dont think anyone was crazy enuf to buy a Booster box, 36 booster packs for 130$can. I managed to get some nice rares http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mustashi2278 on 2004-03-29 15:29 ]</font>

KaFKa
Mar 29, 2004, 06:31 PM
although this combo is banned in tournaments, first turn guaranteed win, your opponent doesent need to take a turn:

lotus petal+mountian+channel+fireball

20 damage first turn. you're left with one life, but you win http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

_Ted_
Mar 29, 2004, 06:35 PM
On 2004-03-29 15:31, KaFKa wrote:
although this combo is banned in tournaments, first turn guaranteed win, your opponent doesent need to take a turn:

lotus petal+mountian+channel+fireball

20 damage first turn. you're left with one life, but you win http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That is one nice combo...no wonder its banned.

Link00seven
Mar 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, def can see how that one got banned, real quick. lol.

NiNeTeeN69
Mar 31, 2004, 11:33 PM
I still play the game, i use a black deck it consists of

1 Demonic Tutor
1 Baron Sangir
4 Royal Assassins
4 Sorceress Queens
4 Will'O The Wisps
4 Icy Manipulators
4 Howling Mines
4 Hypnotic Specters
4 Drain Lifes
4 soul Burns
4 Bad Moons
4 Unholy Strengths
4 Feast of The Unicorns
4 Simulacrums
4 Dauthi Mauruders
4 Dauthi Horrors
4 Paralyzes
4 Dark Rituals
2 Lake Of The Deads
32 Swamps

badbitz
Mar 31, 2004, 11:54 PM
wow, i dabbled in magic a little when I got some demo for it for free. Maybe I should play it again...
I'll probably stick with PSO3 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Orange_Coconut
Apr 1, 2004, 01:59 AM
I personally lost interest in MTG around the time Invasion came out. Though, I still play since my cousin is into it. The thing is, if you're going to buy an older set, be willing to spend quite a few extra bucks for it.

I like the cards from Tempest, Urza's Saga (Destiny, and Legacy as well), Weatherlight, 4th Edition and below (edition wise), and Mercadian Masques.

I would say that I liked Prophecy, but it was a gamble in my opinion. They seemed to have very few commons, and the rare could be something good (Avatar, Wind, legend, etc), or something like Veteran Brawlers (I think was their name).

I liked Nemisis a bit, and if you can find Chronicles then I would say buy at least one pack. That's a combination of antiquities, the dark, and legends.

I of course, like the original cards, but they're ridiculously expensive now. So are many sets now. I don't go after old sets unless they're maybe 50 cents to a dollar more. Tempest BOOSTER packs (from what I've seen) have ranged from 8 to 12 dollars for just one. I would say, that's just ridiculous, but it's been out of print for years now, and people still love it.