PDA

View Full Version : Would the Ability to jump make this game better?

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 06:52 PM
What do you think? I mean, Androids could have like a 5 second Jet Pack, Humans could double jump, and Fo's could float for a while?

Xero_Silvera
Mar 27, 2004, 06:56 PM
it would help if they designed levels to be RPG/Platforms, and if the AI of monsters counteracted the jump abilities. that way you could jump/dodge attack jump/dodge attack =)
-xero

Cyger
Mar 27, 2004, 07:23 PM
Don't want to be harsh, but does the term RPG mean anything to you?

Uncle_bob
Mar 27, 2004, 07:30 PM
Why? No need to jump. :l

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 07:55 PM
Hey, it's not a Turn Based RPG.

Zeroy
Mar 27, 2004, 08:58 PM
jumping would be awesome http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

and Zelda is an RPG, and Link can jump.

Cheep
Mar 27, 2004, 09:04 PM
You could jump in the way of someone dramaticaly screaming "NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!" You could also jump rope! Jump on the enemies soldiers and wack 'em! It would be great if you could jump out of the beaten path and go explore ragol, but nooooo, that would be too cool. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Darkmage13
Mar 27, 2004, 10:36 PM
It's simply not in the nature of the game.

I'd appreciate if they did come out with a PSO style action/platformer with similar graphics and all the same classes and weapons but much more action oriented along the lines of Devil May Cry or the new Ninja Gaiden game.

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 10:44 PM
PSO Volley Ball, the spin off of DOA Volleyball. Naw that alright.

Zero999
Mar 27, 2004, 11:05 PM
jumping in pso might not be a bad idea! It helps when ur getting ur a** kicked!

Zinger314
Mar 27, 2004, 11:57 PM
Heh, if we could jump, then we could probably jump on Dal Ra Le!

"Faster, my beloved wurm, faster! YEEHAW!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2004-03-27 20:58 ]</font>

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 11:59 PM
On 2004-03-27 20:57, Zinger314 wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2004-03-27 20:58 ]</font>

What happens when he submerges?

Solstis
Mar 28, 2004, 12:23 AM
On 2004-03-27 20:59, Episode3 wrote:

On 2004-03-27 20:57, Zinger314 wrote:

What happens when he submerges?

Obviously, ST would implement swimming!

And jump attacks, wall running, etc.

I think a Ninja Gaiden-like PSO would be cool!

But it ain't this game.

Pancake
Mar 28, 2004, 02:24 AM
Yea, Run up on the wall while slicing off a Booma's Head.

Flashlight
Mar 28, 2004, 02:38 AM
Well if u can jump...uhm...just make it a platform game he he (jumping helps you reach Elenor in that mission whit the commands)and then you can also fall of the land...that wud also be cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif use ure weakest weapon...do a Hard Attack...Demian falls off the platform http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Bonus +EXP!!!!

That wud be cool...

Flashlight

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 03:09 AM
I think everyone else is playing a different game than I am. Last time I checked, PSO wasn't some random action game.

Flashlight
Mar 28, 2004, 03:26 AM
On 2004-03-28 00:09, Outrider wrote:
I think everyone else is playing a different game than I am. Last time I checked, PSO wasn't some random action game.

LOLZ!!!

Arislan
Mar 28, 2004, 03:59 AM
I'm with Outrider on this one. I appreciate the slower pace of this game, I really don't need it to become a frenetic action game or a platformer. Not that that may not be able to be done well, but it won't be the same game anymore.

Kuea
Mar 28, 2004, 04:04 AM
if they included jumping in it it would lower the people playing because there would be the jackasses that do nothing but jump when they should be helping. they would just jump everywhere annoying everyone.

Butoden
Mar 28, 2004, 07:28 AM
Jumping would be a cool addition, but they would have to totally redo every map and boss, etc.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 28, 2004, 07:48 AM
On 2004-03-27 16:23, Cyger wrote:
Don't want to be harsh, but does the term RPG mean anything to you?

'Role Playing Game'. Nothing in that phrase suggests that there shouldn't be any jumping.

I still feel that it would ruin the game though - For one, it would make the game a whole lot easier, and it would also lose that edge that it has over other games by not being able to jump.

~ Antimony

Dragon_Ash
Mar 28, 2004, 07:53 AM
The games an RPG type game...not a Tomb Raider game...though i agree with gajeh, that there would be a lot of people clowning about...

also, i don't see how it'd make the game any better than it already is, and i think many people like the game how it is now...so i'd have to disagree with jumping...though i wouldn't mind seeing one or two more weapon types and enemies added to the game....levels/areas too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kaziko
Mar 28, 2004, 12:50 PM
NO....because there would be n00bs in the lobbies going MOSH PIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 ^_^;

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 01:01 PM
Also, for whoever said that Link jumps in the recent Legend of Zelda games... I don't think I would have a problem if it was automatic jumps at some points like that... but adding a jump button is in no way the same thing.

Blitzkommando
Mar 28, 2004, 01:25 PM
Just where would jumping come in handy? The levels are (mostly) flat, and, well frankly, have no need for jumps. Enemies don't need to be easier. It would bring more problems than solve.

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 01:33 PM
Well, as for me, I'm assuming there would be new levels, designed with the "auto-jumping" in mind. They should pretty much just take a page out of the Zelda book for any new changes they want to add.

Kaziko
Mar 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
What would be cool is a jump attack like the delsabers..that'd rule http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sharkyland
Mar 28, 2004, 02:08 PM
You ever read the 'Adventures' webcomic, before it started getting terrible which made so much parodies of RPGs... they mocked Final Fantasy VII where Cloud jumps high into the air and does a slash, but when they get to a platform with a treasure chest that is a little higher than their knees, they say 'we gotta find another way to get there'

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
Sharkyland, you're an Adventurers! (http://www.adventurers-comic.com) fan as well? Rockin'. Can you believe it's winding down?

Xero_Silvera
Mar 28, 2004, 03:09 PM
Anyone here play everquest? the jumping in that game doesnt affect combat, and you basically only use it to get to certain places (like gaps, and if you missjump you wont get the items or mobs in there) Jumping wouldnt be as bad as you all think and it wouldnt even ruin the game.. although they might have to design levels a bit different.. OH NO! not minor changes! jeeze.. its not like youd be able to jump over the monsters and whatnot..
-xero

UnrealCube
Mar 28, 2004, 03:22 PM
Jumping would be off tha HeEzY

Mr_Special
Mar 28, 2004, 04:29 PM
too bad Zelda games aren't RPGs ^_^

how about bunny-hopping? bunny-hoping would make PSO GREAT!

kazuma56
Mar 28, 2004, 04:33 PM
no, I think adding a jump ability would just be stupid and would probably make the game a ton easier than it already is, let's just think about it, 4 Tollaws surronund a lvl 90 Fomar, instead of having to figure out a way to move around all them and kill them he simply just jumps over them casts a Gi/RA tech and repeats till all are killed, where is the strategy in that, also, chars with high EVP would be useless because you can dodge yourself thus making every character basically equal in the EVP stat.

Dragon_Ash
Mar 28, 2004, 05:22 PM
On 2004-03-28 10:25, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Just where would jumping come in handy? The levels are (mostly) flat, and, well frankly, have no need for jumps. Enemies don't need to be easier. It would bring more problems than solve.

well...you could jump out of a group of enemies when your surrounded...or maybe jump over laser fences and doors...not to mention some lil gaps http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Scales_of_Air
Mar 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
Jumping would a be a cool feature to add, but as everyone has portrayed here, it could have some positive and negative effects. I would definately like combat to be a little more Zelda-style; being able to evade swiftly and have a larger array of physical strikes. EVP could contribute to that, maybe in speed or something. Jumping, if it was assigned a button instead of automatic, could be like Battle Houshin (Mystic Heroes in America :/) and enable some new Techs. Jumping would also force ST to make levels alot more complex and in-depth, rather than these flat room-to-room levels which, to me, are minor set-backs because they make the game more repetitive in that aspect. By adding more complex levels, ST might find the need to finally upgrade the graphics engine, thus making the game a little more attractive visually. If they didn't already make Episode III into a turn-based game, these new features would a be a unique addition to the RPG style of PSO - there's my opinion ^_^

Xero_Silvera
Mar 28, 2004, 05:56 PM
*wonders if ST ever reads fan forums*
Theres always episode IV =)
Besides, kazuma, you didnt read what i posted. I believe i said you wouldnt be able to jump over a booma, let alone a group of attacking ones.. I mean, really.. jumping/floating out of a group of attacking enemies isnt even realistic, youd get hit before you got out..and it'd be particularly hard to use techs while jumping, being that you can use them while walking... it takes too much concentration. Im all for the redesigning of levels and making it a little bit more interesting, i agree it gets boring when EVERYTHING is flat, i mean id rather climb vines in forest2 to get up that ledge, not warp =.. youd think a ladder wouldv been cheaper? lol
-xero
ps: Zelda IS classified as an RPG, but also as an Action title. Therefor it is an Action/RPG and you are all right

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 06:35 PM
On 2004-03-28 14:56, Xero_Silvera wrote:
ps: Zelda IS classified as an RPG, but also as an Action title. Therefor it is an Action/RPG and you are all right

Which is why they decided to call Zelda an Adventure game.

Pancake
Mar 28, 2004, 07:46 PM
You could play leap frog in the lobby. Hey, you can jump! In the lobby.

Sharkyland
Mar 28, 2004, 08:37 PM
Well, its hard to say what is good and what is not... maybe the ledge is too high or the battle is just simplistic instead of taking 59 damage (probably it's a recap of what happened between them), you know when your read comics that the action takes place a lot more than rpgs... and you rarely see in comics people taking 59 dmg.

goku4ever
Mar 29, 2004, 01:41 PM
On 2004-03-27 21:23, Solstis wrote:
And jump attacks, wall running, etc.

I think a Ninja Gaiden-like PSO would be cool!

And implement in some bullet time for some kool reason!

echo-2003
Mar 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
On 2004-03-28 15:35, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-28 14:56, Xero_Silvera wrote:

Which is why they decided to call Zelda an Adventure game.

Exactly, speaking as someone who has been playing the Zelda series since it's inception this is what the zelda games have always been categorized as and always will be!

EJ
Mar 29, 2004, 05:03 PM
But in most Zelda games you cant make Link jump whenever you want. Expect for gameboy color version with the jumping shoes ^_^

EJ
Mar 29, 2004, 05:09 PM
sorry for double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2004-03-29 14:18 ]</font>

KingChaos
Mar 29, 2004, 05:20 PM
Its Fine As It Is But Id Like A New Difficulty

Outrider
Mar 29, 2004, 06:55 PM
On 2004-03-29 14:03, ForceEJ wrote:
But in most Zelda games you cant make Link jump whenever you want. Expect for gameboy color version with the jumping shoes ^_^

No, that is not true. Only in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker can he jump, and that is the auto-jump we've been talking about this entire time. You can't make him jump whenever you want, he only jumps automatically when he has to.

Cheep
Mar 29, 2004, 07:01 PM
Ummm if you could jump, couldn't you jump off that ledge in forest 1 into the other room?

kazuma56
Mar 29, 2004, 08:16 PM
What I was saying was that the Force would jump over the enemy, LAND, and then cast spell, not doing it airborne, and for not being able to jump over enemies, it would seem stupid because if you create your char so that he/she is tall, you should be able to jump over rappies thus making my idea true, because if you can jump over some and not all enemies, what's the point of the feature?

Outrider
Mar 29, 2004, 09:14 PM
On 2004-03-29 17:16, kazuma56 wrote:
what's the point of the feature?

Exactly. There will never be any active in-battle jumping.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 30, 2004, 12:27 AM
Watch those Hunewearl jugs bounce as you jump. Up and down. Up and down. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

Or you could practice jumping over Rappies. Ha you can't get me! Ow! Shit! that was my ankle!