PDA

View Full Version : Why do people always ask A/S/L on MMORPG'S

eXo
Mar 29, 2004, 01:19 AM
Well personally i dont have a problem with it i also cant really remember asking *sex8 but i have asked age and location. Is knowing someones sex really important we are all gamers right http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif and if we stay respectful female gamers will not be offended by are comments anyway.

googles
Mar 29, 2004, 01:47 AM
I have never had anyone ask me my a/s/l on any mmorpg.

ABDUR101
Mar 29, 2004, 01:50 AM
Really just a rushed way of having a conversation, which bothers the hell out of me.

Why ask A/S/L when you can hold a damn conversation? I don't feel comfortable talking to people when they just outright ask A/S/L because it seems like they're looking for some kind of specific criteria.

I'd rather go kill some stuff and hold a discussion during the entire time, ease into getting to know each other before you outright ask something as personal as A/S/L. I play a game to have entertainment and generally stay away from real life discussion, and that involves people asking me personal questions and all that. For the most part, I want myself to be viewed as whatever character I'm playing as, and keep my anonimity, atleast until I'm comfortable with who I'm playing with.

It really depends on the situation, it doesn't always bother me, but more often than not it is quite annoying.

Cowboy
Mar 29, 2004, 01:59 AM
Yeah...what abdur said. (damn you! you always say what i wanna, before i say it, in more understandable terms! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

i can understand asking it AFTER you spend some time playing, but right off the bat is stupid. whats even more senseless is that it DOESNT matter to the people asking it half the time, its just a habit.

Blitzkommando
Mar 29, 2004, 02:15 AM
All of that and some of them are desperate for dates. :/

-Geshtar-
Mar 29, 2004, 02:36 AM
Well I figure A/S/L is a way to determin what that person may or may not be into. For instance I'm 17, but what if I tried to hold a convorsation with someone...oh let's say 37. I'm sure we may have things in common, but it may or may not be much at all. Some people just feel better with people near their own age, or to some it may not bother them.

Kuea
Mar 29, 2004, 02:39 AM
o guess what your like?

SpikeOtacon
Mar 29, 2004, 05:59 AM
It's not just on MMORPGs, it's everywhere on the intarweb. Chats(but you knew that), boards, and all sorts of games. I got asked A/S/L on a Counterstrike 1.6 game a while ago. Haven't been back since(for other reasons too). As to WHY they do it, it's probably to find whos a male/female, so that they can treat the 'women' with respect. I got a kick out of seeing my friend go around on FFXI and get a whole bunch of free stuff for acting like a woman. I just don't get it. I don't care who i'm playing with, so I never ask A/S/L, because I also know that someone else is going to ask it at least twice before the game starts. I like to play around a lot and change my age and Location, and for 's' I put 'yes please'. Makes 'em shut up real quick.

Hrith
Mar 29, 2004, 06:07 AM
I usually do not answer, or say "I'm too old for you" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nothing more to say, Abdur covered my thoughts >_>

eXo
Mar 29, 2004, 07:33 AM
Hmm im glad im not alone with this,and im glad that perple understand where im coming from if you are going to ask something like that atleast be friend in the game for awhile http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif i mean like 6 + months http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

decswxaqz
Mar 29, 2004, 07:43 AM
A - not bothered. Doesn't really affect much
S - some people react different around women/men. Going down the sterotype route, find out you are the same sex, you can talk about things that are related to your gender (I'm not saying it's true/correct, just sterotyping).
L - another topic of conversation. Also helps you. Most people will speak English (if they know it) in an online game (unless it's a foreign game like RO). You find out someone lives in the same country as you and you can speak your own language.

And it's just curiosity. I just like to know where people live and male/female. I don't have any hidden agenda and it doesn't affect how I treat that person. I'm just curious and as such, if someone wants to know I'll just tell them.

rising_sunset
Mar 29, 2004, 09:25 AM
uh...

One question: What does MMORPG mean, because I've never heard of it, only heard of ASL.

Outrider
Mar 29, 2004, 10:18 AM
On 2004-03-29 06:25, carolsdegga wrote:
uh...

One question: What does MMORPG mean, because I've never heard of it, only heard of ASL.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Think Everquest or Final Fantasy XI.

Nai_Calus
Mar 29, 2004, 11:33 AM
You character has an age, a sex and a location, don't they? XP Just give them that. XP

Wait, no, someone would be stupid enough to believe that. XP

KodiaX987
Mar 29, 2004, 11:46 AM
Note to operators: Those who ask for ASL should be banned on sight! ^.^

Zaneatron
Mar 29, 2004, 12:06 PM
On 2004-03-29 08:46, KodiaX987 wrote:
Note to operators: Those who ask for ASL should be banned on sight! ^.^

Amen brother!

on sites like jippii, its straight in asl, nothing else, you give them that and the conversation stops basically

whats the point?

ive found a few cool people in the actual chat room, but they usually get full of people with names like "hu wants dikk?" and crap like that, spouting abbrasivness everywhere. people like that should be banned too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

jippii also censors the word "and" for some reason? wtfomg!!!

Outrider
Mar 29, 2004, 12:43 PM
On 2004-03-29 09:06, Zaneatron wrote:
jippii also censors the word "and" for some reason? wtfomg!!!

I guess a conjunction attacked them years ago.

I haven't been in years, but AOL chatrooms used to be terrible. Even in roleplaying rooms you'd have a bunch of pre-teens trying to get girlfriends. It was horrible.

anwserman
Mar 29, 2004, 03:29 PM
Ah yes, the good ol' days of ASL.
Sometimes people ask that, and if you don't reply the way they want (e.g., you're not a female whose 16 and lives within a block of their house), they'll leave the game.

Or treat you like shit one of the two.
Or, if you reply that you're a female and that your character is a big-breasted warrior, then that you are that character so... um, they only play the game with one hand instead of two.

People are morons! Play the game, and stop getting your kicks online with games!

Cheep
Mar 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
They want to know, why else? They want to get to know you. I've spent like 15 minutes wondering if this one person was a kid,and if this other person was a girl or a weird guy. If someone didn't know I was a girl on my humar they might be afraid of me or think I'm a fruit. You might want to know where someone lives. I usualy ask and it explained why this one person was speaking really bad english-they were from holland. I like to know the age of people I play with too. You shouldn't swear or talk about certain things when you're playing with a 9yearold. I don't see why else you'd ask someone, though this one dude did want me to be their girlfriend and they were mean! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

Alielle
Mar 29, 2004, 07:46 PM
Ah, for what would the world be without pigeonholing based on stereotypes?

Pancake
Mar 29, 2004, 07:50 PM
They wanna find out where we live http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AUTO_
Mar 30, 2004, 12:23 AM
I honestly don't see why people get so upset over the "upfront" A/S/L.

I don't go around asking people's ASL in games (take PSO for instance); but I (myself) get to a point where it does interest me to know...atleast a persons gender and age.

I think one of the best things about online games is getting to know the people you play with, and it's pretty hard to know anyone if everyone keeps to themselves.

If you spend X hours per day with these people...you might as well know a little about them right?

ABDUR101
Mar 30, 2004, 12:56 AM
Depends on the atmosphere of the game and who you're playing with. Some people don't want anyone to know anything about them past what their character is, and some would atleast rather get to "know" the people they're playing with before they start asking where each other are from, how old, male/female, pets, etc.

Overall, I see it as this, if you group up with some people in game and don't know anything about them past what their characters are, and you have a hellishly fun time, thats all that matters, because thats all you're there for. If, after you've all played together for a while and you're all comfortable telling each other about yourselves, then that can add to it, but for me, until I know the people I'm playing with are going to have a fun time, I'm not going to tell them anything about me.

Some people judge stupidly based on age, sex and where someone is from, there are stereotypes for all of those categories. I'd rather play with people who are more interested in my personality and playstyle rather than my personal details.

But it's different for everyone, so it doesn't really matter.

derBauer
Mar 30, 2004, 01:51 AM
Todd once said "less yack, more whack".

KodiaX987
Mar 30, 2004, 08:29 AM
On 2004-03-29 22:51, derBauer wrote:
Todd once said "less yack, more whack".

I'll even add to it with a Jesse James quote: "Stop talkin', start walkin'!" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Guile
Mar 30, 2004, 11:15 PM
Becuase they are lonly guys looking for young girls that live near them, or not.

goku4ever
Apr 1, 2004, 11:48 AM
I my self used to play a mmorpg and a while into the hunt u would ask asl coz u like to no a little bit about em. U wanna try and start a conversation coz on the mmorpg im talking about it can get ery boring if u dont talk. Also its quiker so if some mobs spawn u can b ready to attack them.

Sanjifire
Apr 1, 2004, 12:06 PM
I find it is asked to find out your gender. The moment they know you are a girl...they hit on you.
That is why I usually don't answer, or wait until I know the person better.

KodiaX987
Apr 1, 2004, 12:47 PM
Actually, I usually say I'm a chick on MMORPGs, this way I can get a hefty amount of gifts I can resell later on. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sharkyland
Apr 1, 2004, 12:53 PM
On 2004-03-29 08:33, Ian-KunX wrote:
You character has an age, a sex and a location, don't they? XP Just give them that. XP

Wait, no, someone would be stupid enough to believe that. XP

Hmm, I did reply that to some people... intentionally.