PDA

View Full Version : Jim Carrey's best Movie

AUTO_
Mar 30, 2004, 12:12 AM
Probably one of the funniest actors around today--and most all of his movies have been knockouts (that's why he gets umpteen millions to do any movie)..

But...

Which has been your favorite?

Just curious.

Blitzkommando
Mar 30, 2004, 12:33 AM
I liked Bruce Almighty. Methinks it was the Ass-dwelling Buttmonkey that I liked so much. That or Morgan Freeman playing God. Either way it was funny.

_Ted_
Mar 30, 2004, 12:35 AM
I'm torn between Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, but I went with Ace Ventura!

TedEdFred
Mar 30, 2004, 12:36 AM
I always forget to vote for dumb and dumber and vote truman. ><

Outrider
Mar 30, 2004, 12:51 AM
Easily Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He will definitely get a nomination for it. It's also one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Enyalis_Cho
Mar 30, 2004, 12:54 AM
I haven't seen that one yet, so I voted for Liar Liar.

Pancake
Mar 30, 2004, 01:02 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

AUTO_
Mar 30, 2004, 01:24 AM
Just nobody mention Earth Girls are Easy or Rubberface.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I want to see his new movie really bad...

Oh, I guess my vote goes for Liar Liar.

Not sure why, just my favorite out of his performances so far.

Cheep
Mar 30, 2004, 03:34 AM
I find him just a wee bit annoying, ok alot. Not a big fan, but he does have his moments. I like Cosby...He's cool,right? >.> <.< >.>

SuperSpeedyv2
Mar 30, 2004, 07:44 AM
Truman Show

I found it real funny.

Sparticus
Mar 30, 2004, 09:12 AM
i used to really like ace ventura but my friend keeps on quoting from this film all through chemistry, at first it was funny and i would join in to sometims, but now it drives me up the wall! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Armok
Mar 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
Dumb and Dumber

Who needs a radio
Mock
Yer

ing
Yer

Bird
Yer

Yer!
Yer!

Aredhel
Mar 30, 2004, 10:52 AM
Once Bitten

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 30, 2004, 11:22 AM
Har! Jim Carrey was in Dead Pool!

Blatt4Life
Mar 30, 2004, 01:19 PM
Wow this is a tough decision. I would have to say Bruce Almighty.

KaFKa
Mar 30, 2004, 01:23 PM
eternal sunshine. one of the best movies i've seen him act in.

The_Pea_Guy
Mar 30, 2004, 03:00 PM
Bruce Almighty is my favourite Jim Carrey film.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2004-03-30 12:01 ]</font>

Hrith
Mar 30, 2004, 03:02 PM
Man on the Moon, Kaufman is one of my favourite humourists, and Carrey is wonderful in that role.

Blatt4Life
Mar 30, 2004, 03:30 PM
Well I still need to see Eternal Sunshine, so my vote may change.

RicoRoyal
Mar 30, 2004, 03:38 PM
I really shouldn't be responding to a poll where people actually think Bruce Almighty was Jim Carey's
best movie, but here goes anyway. Before I continue, I'd like to just say that Bruce almighty (IMO) barely even qualified as a movie, let alone a good one (this will be adressed in just a bit).

I've taken the liberty of categorizing this poll's main options into my own personal order of good and bad (remember, it's all just opinion)

The Great:

Eternal Sunshine
Dumb and Dumber

The Good:

The Truman Show
Ace Ventura
Man on the Moon
Liar Liar

The Meh:

The Mask

The Borderline Offensive:

Bruce Almighty

Yes, I voted for Eternal Sunshine. Now it's time to actually explain WHY.Oh, what? Did you think I was just going to ignorantly vote for something just because some small insignificant part of my brain said "huhhuh, remember the monkey.... no need to think this through, just push the button and vote!"
If there is one thing I've noticed about today's society of young people, it's that they seem to be lacking any sense of individualism; they just go with what everyone else thinks. This brings me to my little talk of Bruce Almighty...

NOTE: These are just quick write-ups on pros and cons of movies. These aren't actually reviews(otherwise you would expect a whole lot less slander towards other peoples' points of views)

Bruce Almighty

Where to start, where to start... I suppose I should ask everyone a question: what part of the movie did you actually find funny and why? Second, was that funny part of the movie not already in the promos? Third, were you one of those infants that laughed excessively when your parent or guardian kept doing the same repetitive peekaboo trick on you? I thought so. Now lets continue. I personally like to believe that when I pay 7 or 9 dollars to see a movie, I'm supposed to get my moneys' worth in entertainment.
Sadly, this movie gave me back jackshit. The monkey part in the alleyway... funny? How so? They couldn't even get good actors to play the part of the gangsters. Meanwhile, Jim Carey seemed to be enjoying that whole scene wayyyy too much. I can't find it funny, because it was just plain disturbing. Some people in my theater seemed to die of laughter when the file cabinet opened up and flung Jim Carey clear across the room. You know, how very odd, I'm sure i've seen that about 50,0000 times before in Looney-mother-fucking-Toons! How veryyyy original (note sarcasm).
So on opening week, after having vomited from watching the movie, I talk to my friends to find out what most of them thought about it. Their responses... "hahaha, it was funny as hell." So I ask, "what part did you think was funny?" They go on to say "uuhhh, ummm, errrr, the whole movie was funny!" At this point in my mind, I roll up a very heavy sunday newspaper, hit everyone over the head with it and exclaim "no!" It get's better. After some serious thinking on my friends' parts, everyone manages to come up with at least one part of the movie that they found funny. Well, what a surprise, everything they go on to describe as funny, was ALREADY IN THE FUCKING THEATRICAL TRAILER!!! Out of an hour and a half of movie, there were approximately three fucking minutes of "funny" moments. Shame on all of you who voted for this movie. My theory is that Bruce Almighty is the only movie you people have ever seen in your whole entire lives.
Please feel free to prove me wrong. I encourage differing opinions, and I do not claim to know anymore about movies than anyone else; but if your going to vote for something, try to give some sort of reason as to WHY!

Now for the other stuff... (just quickie comments based on my own personal opinions)

The Mask

Overall, it was an enjoyable viewing experience to watch this... when I was 12 years old that is. Looking back on it now, the movie was a wee bit over the top. Nonetheless, still a good movie to watch with the kids, or when you just cant find anything better to watch. Story was there, acting was there (it was actually meant to be over the top, unlike Bruce Almighty), humor was oftentimes there (a few hit and misses)... okay stuff.

Liar Liar

Great family film. Great for the kids since Jim Carey is just such a great contortionist (sp?), and can always pull out a funny face when the movie seems to be getting slow. Fun and inventive plot was there, acting was there, humor was most certainly there (even for adults). Good stuff, good stuff.

Man on the Moon

This movie was either a hit or miss with most people. Either people found it boring, or they found it was funny, touching and aweinspiring. Guess which one I'm leaning towards? Plot? Fuck yes. Acting? My hat goes off to Jim Carey for his wonderful depiction of Andy in this movie. Humor? Sure, if your open enough to actually get most of the "jokes." I loved every second of the movie.

Ace Ventura

Over the top, ridiculous, and brilliant. If you didn't laugh during this movie then something ain't quite right upstairs in yer' noggin'. Jim Carey's body language played a major role in making this movie funny, which served as a huge launching pad for Jim Carey's "popularity." Plot... haha, I guess. Acting: Errr, sure. It takes some guts to do some of the shit Jim did during these two movies. Humor? hhhmmmm yessssssssss. Spears in knees - great material.

The Truman Show

This movie was certainly not meant to be an Ace Venture type of movie. Does that make it bad? No. It had its humorous moments that helped keep most people who suffer from A.D.D in their seats while at theaters. It had a very interesting (albite not 100% original) plot. The actors worked perfectly with what they were given. A very touching/funny movie with quasi-significant meaning to it (especially for today's generation of young adults). If you haven't seen it, do so now.

Dumb and Dumber

GENIUS!!! Critics hated this movie. Why? Because it was rude, obnoxious, offensive, and hilarious! There were so many funny moments in this movie. The whole bar scene where Jim Carrey's Lloyd pisses off the truckers was great. Later, Harry and Lloyd are driving away and so harry says ,"that was awesome" Lloyd:"yeah, I got it from this one movie" Harry:"Yeah, so what happens to the guys" Lloyd:"well, eventually the group of truckers catch up with them..." Harry:"uh huh" Lloyd:"and the guys get their throats slit!! It was awesome..hahaha" Harry"uhhh". Classic shit.The toilet scene also holds a very strong argument... in that it was funny as hell. The headless bird - classic. The worm farm - classic. The extra pair of mittins worn by Lloyd - classic. The IOU's in the brief case - nice. The scene where Lloyd finds out about Mary's boyfriend and so he takes out the revolver and shoots him repeatedly only to quickly figure out that it was all in his imagination - awesome. Harry on fire at the gas station - brilliant. The kungfu fight with the asian chef - pure freaking genius. I adore this movie soooo damn much. Plot? lol... actually, yes. Acting.... okay, know what, just fucking awesome movie. To all you kiddies who thought Bruce Almighty was a comedy, go see this movie. According to my calculations, you will probably die from lack of oxygen about half way through the movie. If you like this movie, I'd also like to recommend the other 10,000 movies like it; amongst which is animal house and old school.

I talked about this movie briefly in another thread on this forum, so feel free to head on over to http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=78480&forum=9 if you still care about what I have to say. Great movie; so much so, that it gets my vote for Jim Carrey's greatest movie performance.

EDIT: Cheep, please delete that quote you made of my original message... it hurts even me to have to scroll through all of this TWICE.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RC4 on 2004-03-30 21:50 ]</font>

Cheep
Mar 30, 2004, 04:17 PM
On 2004-03-30 12:38, RC4 wrote:
I really shouldn't be responding to a poll where people actually think Bruce Almighty was Jim Carey's
best movie, but here goes anyway. Before I continue, I'd like to just say that Bruce almighty (IMO) barely even qualified as a movie, let alone a good one (this will be adressed in just a bit).

I've taken the liberty of categorizing this poll's main options into my own personal order of good and bad (remember, it's all just opinion)

The Great:

Eternal Sunshine
Dumb and Dumber

The Good:

The Truman Show
Ace Ventura
Man on the Moon
Liar Liar

The Meh:

The Mask

The Borderline Offensive:

Bruce Almighty

Yes, I voted for Eternal Sunshine. Now it's time to actually explain WHY.Oh, what? Did you think I was just going to ignorantly vote for something just because some small insignifantpart of my brain said "huh huh, remember the monkey.... no need to think this through, just push the button and vote."
If there is one thing I've noticed about today's society of young people, it's that they seemto be lacking any sense of individualism. They just go with what everyone else thinks. This brings me to my little talk of Bruce Almighty...

NOTE: These are just quick write-ups on pros and cons of movies. These aren't actually reviews(otherwise you would expect a whole lot less slander towards other peoples' points of views)

Bruce Almighty

Where to start, where to start... I suppose I should ask everyone a question. What part of the movie did you actually find funny and why? Second, was that funny part of the movie not already in the promos? Third, where you one of those infants that laughed excessively when your parent or guardian kept doing the same repetitive peekaboo trick on you? I thought so. Now lets continue. I personally like to believe that when I pay 7 or 9 dollars to see a movie, I'm supposed to get my money's worth in entertainment.
Sadly, this movie gave me back jackshit. The monkey part in the allyway... funny? How so? They couldnt even get good actors to play the part of the gangsters. Meanwhile, Jim Carey seemed to be enjoying that whole scene wayyyy too much. I can't find it funny, because it was just plain disturbing. Some people in my theater seemed to die of laughter when the file cabinet opened up and flung Jim Carey clear across the room. You know, how very odd, I'm sure i've that about 500000 times in Looney-mother-fucking-Toons! How veryyyy original (note sarcasm).
So on opening week, after having vomited from watching the movie, I talk to my friends to find out what most of them thought about it. Their responses... "hahaha, it was funny as hell." So I ask, "what part did you think was funny?" They go on to say "uuhhh, ummm, errrr, the whole movie was funny!" At this point in my mind, I roll up a very heavy sunday newspaper, hit everyone over the head with it and exclaim "no!" It get's better, after some serious thinking on my friends' parts, everyone manages to come up with at least one part of the movie that they found funny. Well, what a surprise, everything they go on to describe as funny, was ALREADY IN THE FUCKING THEATRICAL TRAILER!!! Out of an hour and a half of movie, there were approximately three fucking minutes of "funny" moments. Shame on all of you who voted for this movie. My theory is that Bruce Almighty is the only movie you people have ever seen in your whole entire lifes.
Please feel free to prove me wrong. I encourage differeing opinions, and I do not claim to know anymore about movies than anyone else; but if your going to vote for something, try to give some sort of reason as to WHY!

Now for the other stuff... (just quickie comments based on my own personal opinions)

The Mask

Overall, it was an enjoyable viewing experience to watch this... when I was 12 years old that is. Looking back on it now, the movie was a wee bit over the top. Nonetheless, still a good movie to watch with the kids, or when you just cant find anything better to watch. Story was there, acting was there (it was actually meant to be over the top, unlike Bruce Almighty), humor was oftentimes there (a few hit and misses)... okay stuff.

Liar Liar

Great family film. Great for the kids since Jim Carey is just such a great contortionist (sp?), and can always pull out a funny face when the movie seems to be getting slow. Fun and inventive plot was there, acting was there, humor was most certainly there (even for adults). Good stuff, good stuff.

Man on the Moon

This movie was either a hit or miss with most people. Either people found it boring, or they saw it was funny, touching and awinspiring. Guess which one I'm leaning towards? Plot? Fuck yes. Acting? My hat goes off to Jim Carey for his wonderful depiction of Andy in this movie. Humor? Sure, if your open enough to actually get most of the "jokes."

Ace Ventura

Over the top, ridiculous, and brilliant. If you didn't laugh during this movie then something ain't quite right upstairs in yer' noggin'. Jim Carey's body language played a major role in making this movie funny, which served as a huge launching pad for Jim Carey's "popularity." Plot... haha, i guess. Acting: Errr, sure. It takes some guts to do some of the shit Jim did during these two movies. Humor? hhhmmmm yessssssssss.

The Truman Show

This movie was certainly not meant to be an Ace Venture type of movie. Does that make it bad? No. It had its humorous moments that helped keep most people who suffer from A.D.D stay in their seats while in theaters. It had a very interesting (albite not 100% original) plot. The actors worked perfectly with what they were given. A very touching/funny movie with quasi-significant meaning to it (especially for today's generation of young adults). If you haven't seen it, do so now.

Dumb and Dumber

GENIUS!!! Critics hated this movie. Why? Because it was rude, obnoxious, offensive, and hilarious! There were so many funny moments in this movie. The whole bar scene where Jim Carey's Lloyd pisses off the truckers. Later, Harry and Lloyd are driving away. Harry:"that was awesome" Lloyd:"yeah, I got it from this one movie" Harry:"Yeah, so what happens to the guys" Lloyd:"well, eventually the group of truckers catch up with them..." Harry:"uh huh" Lloyd:"and the guys get their throats slit!! It was awesome..hahaha" "ummmm". Classic shit.The toilet scene also holds a very strong argument... in that it was funny as hell. The headless bird - classic. The worm farm - classic. The extra pair of mittins - classic. The IOU's in the brief case - nice. The scene where Lloyd finds out about Mary's boyfriend and so he takes out the revolver and shoots him repeatedly only to quickly figure out that it was all in his imagination - awesome. Harry on fire at the gas station - brilliant. I adore this movie soooo damn much. Plot? lol... actually, yes. Acting.... okay, know what, just fucking awesome movie. To all you kiddies who thought Bruce Almighty was a comedy, go see this movie. According to my calculations, you will probably die from lack of oxygen about half way through the movie. If you like this movie, I'd also like to recommend the other 10,000 movies like it; amongst which is animal house and old school.

I talked about this movie briefly in another thread on this forum, so feel free to head on over to http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=78480&forum=9 if you still care about what I have to say. Great movie.

Calm down man. Deep breathes, deep breathes. Now count to 10. I still like cosby >.> <.< >.>

Hrith
Mar 30, 2004, 05:32 PM
Do not quote for the sake of quoting, especially such a long post. It makes the scrollbar uselessly long.

Guile
Mar 30, 2004, 11:17 PM
*looks up*
Ga-damn!!
Ehh Dumb & Dumber.

BogusKun
Mar 31, 2004, 03:44 PM
Im surprised Me, Myself, and Irene/The Grinch/BatmanForever weren't mentioned... Not that I liked them but...

I voted Ace Ventura...

Pancake
Mar 31, 2004, 06:34 PM
OMG Bruce Almighty SUCKED!
The Grinch was lame also why did people like it

Cheep
Mar 31, 2004, 06:55 PM
On 2004-03-31 15:34, Creinus_Man wrote:

It was the grinch, man. It had values and holiday spirit.

Pancake
Mar 31, 2004, 06:59 PM
On 2004-03-31 15:55, Cheep wrote:

On 2004-03-31 15:34, Creinus_Man wrote:

It was the grinch, man. It had values and holiday spirit.

I like the cartoon version

BogusKun
Mar 31, 2004, 08:53 PM
This one guy was at the theatres saying it was a good movie back then...

...he was also high.