PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding corruption?

Polar
Mar 30, 2004, 06:56 AM
I'm going to be back online soon, and am wondering, what combination of settings are best to avoid corruption? There are Timeout settings in the network options, and some settings in the in-game menu too. What should they be set on so, if something goes wrong, the game NOTICES and saves rather than me to reset and possibly losing items?
Thanks.

rising_sunset
Mar 30, 2004, 08:39 AM
I think this has has been ask many times before but there are some ways to do it. The only ways to avoid corruptions online is make sure you don't get FSOD by someone while you are saving. Or else the freezes with the save screen on and you turn off you system. There is a VERY high chance of corruption. Now, how to avoid FSOD, I'm sure you can search and look for your answer in a previous thread.

Jason
Mar 30, 2004, 09:27 AM
On 2004-03-30 05:39, carolsdegga wrote:
I think this has has been ask many times before but there are some ways to do it. The only ways to avoid corruptions online is make sure you don't get FSOD by someone while you are saving. Or else the freezes with the save screen on and you turn off you system. There is a VERY high chance of corruption. Now, how to avoid FSOD, I'm sure you can search and look for your answer in a previous thread.

You don't get FSOD by someone. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif This isn't Dreamcast. You usually get a high chance of having FSOD by entering a ship block with a high number of players (90 for example.) So, if you got a FSOD, it's your fault. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Superguppie
Mar 30, 2004, 12:37 PM
That's not what I heard. At least on GC FSOD CAN be forced on you.
Anyway, the only thing you can do to prevent corruption is to prevent FSOD: Stay out of crowded areas, use a BBA, listen when other people are saying there's an FSODer in some lobby.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 30, 2004, 01:28 PM
On 2004-03-30 03:56, Polar wrote:
I'm going to be back online soon, and am wondering, what combination of settings are best to avoid corruption? There are Timeout settings in the network options, and some settings in the in-game menu too. What should they be set on so, if something goes wrong, the game NOTICES and saves rather than me to reset and possibly losing items?
Thanks.

Those settings aren't very significant. Just go with whatever gets you online, never enter a lobby with something of value unequipped and try to avoid exceptionally crowded lobbies. Do that, and it should be fairly rare for you to lose anything. Myself having a character at 115 and another character coming up on 100, as well as another 10 characters across a total of 4 cards, using these methods I have never had a corruption. I have FSOD'd only two or three times when entering particularly crowded lobbies, and I have lost items only *once*.

Polar
Mar 30, 2004, 02:11 PM
Gee, thanks. I may not have as many posts as you, but I'm not a newbie. I HAVE looked and NEVER come across a post specifically linking to the network and auto-disconnect settings. I'm not referring to normal corruptions (although other people's answers have been useful), but, for example, times when the game has hung while loading, and the game SHOULD notice this when it's not heard from the server for a while.

Those settings aren't very significant
Much more like it, thank you very much ^_^

_brainchild
Mar 30, 2004, 02:18 PM
I'm not a newbie... but what's FSOD? I'm not farmilliar with that acronym...

But I sure as heck am farmilliar with my character being corrupted/deleted!

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 30, 2004, 02:31 PM
On 2004-03-30 11:11, Polar wrote:

Much more like it, thank you very much ^_^

You're quite welcome.

On 2004-03-30 11:18, _brainchild wrote:
I'm not a newbie... but what's FSOD? I'm not farmilliar with that acronym...

But I sure as heck am farmilliar with my character being corrupted/deleted!

Frozen Screen Of Death.

The screen freezes, you hear a buzzing noise, and nothing will happen again, until you reset your GameCube.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-03-30 11:32 ]</font>

shifter
Mar 30, 2004, 02:36 PM
On 2004-03-30 10:28, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I have FSOD'd only two or three times when entering particularly crowded lobbies, and I have lost items only *once*.

same here, but for me its been like eight to ten times. and ive never lost any of my items by it. but i have FSOD a few times of late and ive got a BBA and most of those times(all of the time) im in a game and boom it hits me. people using there mags, piping from one lvl to the next, even in the middle of battle, ive lost some good stuff cause of it.

rising_sunset
Mar 30, 2004, 10:30 PM
Lucky peoples... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

I have gotten FSOD countless times...

Cheep
Mar 30, 2004, 10:37 PM
I thought it might happen if you go into a crowded server with more than the max characters, not just 90. Like the other day there were 108 people on vega 01 . I Haven't fsoded,ever. Guess I'm lucky or somethin.

_brainchild
Mar 30, 2004, 10:59 PM
Why do you(everyone in general) think Sonic Team chose to make you lose all but your currently equipped items when you bug out like that online?

Jason
Apr 1, 2004, 08:18 AM
On 2004-03-30 19:37, Cheep wrote:
I thought it might happen if you go into a crowded server with more than the max characters, not just 90.

I didn't say just 90.

ElizaBluefull
Apr 1, 2004, 09:25 AM
All of my friends who corrupted did so on Vega. Stay out of Vega, and the chances of corruption will be significantly less. Don't make games in crowded lobbies and try to avoid crowded areas as was said earlier.

NiNeTeeN69
Apr 1, 2004, 01:57 PM
Getting a corrupted file is more common online than offline right?
like what are the chances offline?

Ketchup345
Apr 1, 2004, 02:42 PM
On 2004-04-01 10:57, NiNeTeeN69 wrote:
Getting a corrupted file is more common online than offline right?
like what are the chances offline?

Offline corruption:
1) Game disk stops reading (number of reasons: dirty disk, dirty laser lense, etc.)
2) Power outage
3) You do anything when saving

Not very often, but it happens.

Mr_Special
Apr 1, 2004, 06:10 PM
Player-caused FSOD on the GCN is only in Ep3, to my knowledge.

ima go test corrupting characters right now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

YoruTakami
Apr 1, 2004, 07:08 PM
I use a USB memory adaptor. If my data ever gets corrupted, hey, I've got a back-up of it.

Polar
Apr 2, 2004, 12:53 PM
On 2004-04-01 16:08, YoruTakami wrote:
I use a USB memory adaptor. If my data ever gets corrupted, hey, I've got a back-up of it.

I do the same, using a method not discussable here. However, if I corrupt online, I'm fairly sure that some server/client timestamp matchy-thing means that if I backup, I won't be able to go online...

Scales_of_Air
Apr 5, 2004, 08:32 PM
I can'tlay online, but I did have two power outages in a row when I was silly enough to turn PSO back on after the first... Lucky my FO wasn't deleted... I remember a forum about memory card corruption and keeping the memory card in a case to help. Is this at all related? I mean, even instruction booklets tell one to keep his/her memory card safe...

drizzle
Apr 6, 2004, 01:24 AM
On 2004-04-02 09:53, Polar wrote:

I do the same, using a method not discussable here. However, if I corrupt online, I'm fairly sure that some server/client timestamp matchy-thing means that if I backup, I won't be able to go online...

If you restore an older backup, the server does indeed detect this. It will then delete all your items and your Challenge Mode rank. But you get to keep your level so it isn't all bad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SJ
Apr 6, 2004, 04:55 AM
Even though its the psow block never go in ant or vega, i only go in unpopular blocks and iv stopped getting fsod (so far) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Polar
Apr 6, 2004, 04:57 AM
On 2004-04-05 23:24, drizzle wrote:

On 2004-04-02 09:53, Polar wrote:

If you restore an older backup, the server does indeed detect this. It will then delete all your items and your Challenge Mode rank. But you get to keep your level so it isn't all bad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So... I could put all my items on another memory card... and restore without losing anything (I don't do CMode yet). Does it delete items for ALL chars, or just the one you try and play with?

Neith
Apr 20, 2004, 03:47 PM
Ive found that whether u lose items 'cause of FSOD depends on what you're doin. If you're joinin a game, u nearly always lose stuff (RIP Yamigarasu), if its in a lobby, it SAYS u've lost items, but the worst ive lost from that is 2 dimates, damn it.. Costin me 600 meseta.. Offline corruption just tends to happen, usually when u've just found a great item, just to p*** ya off. Best advice is play offline only, or enter quiet lobbies. Stay away from vega, lol!