PDA

View Full Version : .beat time

Eihwaz
Apr 9, 2004, 08:36 PM
For those who have online PSO, I have a question.

Exactly how does .beat time work with regard to your time zone?

If you're online, is it all synchronized? Or is it different, depending on your time zone? IE the .beat time for someone in Pacific Time Zone would be different from someone in the Eastern Time Zone?

Please, reply quickly.

Jarek
Apr 9, 2004, 08:40 PM
Well, I can reply quickly, but I don't know if it'll help. ^_^'
I think that they would all be synchronized.
Like say "everyone meet at 100 beats"
that would be like 2AM for some but maybe midnight for others.
This is what I've always assumed anyways...

Kuea
Apr 9, 2004, 08:50 PM
well like s/he said, for me I think that 100 beats is the same beat everywhere just a differant time.

Eihwaz
Apr 9, 2004, 10:25 PM
Ah, okay. That would make sense, seeing as how PSOW has the various "Weekly Cmode/Battle Mode" meetings for GC, with one .beat time mentioned.

So it seems, .beat time is synchronized for everyone online...

Neith
Apr 20, 2004, 03:39 PM
Hate to say this, but I live in the UK, and i was playin offline. The GC clock was set correctly, and the beat time was 145. I then went online, to find it was 028, so mine is different. Not that it's important, unless the beat-item theory is proved.

Ketchup345
Apr 20, 2004, 04:21 PM
On 2004-04-20 13:39, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Hate to say this, but I live in the UK, and i was playin offline. The GC clock was set correctly, and the beat time was 145. I then went online, to find it was 028, so mine is different. Not that it's important, unless the beat-item theory is proved.

Right, online the time goes by a certain place (I forget where). But offline, it acts as if you GC was that place. That is why there is a difference between online and offline beat times.

DezoPenguin
Apr 21, 2004, 03:10 PM
On 2004-04-20 14:21, Ketchup345 wrote:

On 2004-04-20 13:39, UrikoBB3 wrote:

Right, online the time goes by a certain place (I forget where). But offline, it acts as if you GC was that place. That is why there is a difference between online and offline beat times.

Um...I don't get that at all (well, sort of--online beats are different because the online beat time is taken from the server's clock while offline beats are taken from the game clock), but unless you're in a location that doesn't follow the rest of its time zone (like how some U.S. locations don't do daylight savings time, which would put the GameCube's clock off by one hour from "real" time because it thinks it's supposed to switch when it's not...), why would it be different?

Ketchup345
Apr 21, 2004, 03:27 PM
On 2004-04-21 13:10, DezoPenguin wrote:
Um...I don't get that at all (well, sort of--online beats are different because the online beat time is taken from the server's clock while offline beats are taken from the game clock), but unless you're in a location that doesn't follow the rest of its time zone (like how some U.S. locations don't do daylight savings time, which would put the GameCube's clock off by one hour from "real" time because it thinks it's supposed to switch when it's not...), why would it be different?

The Server's clock is set to a certain timezone, (I don't know exactly what one), but for example let's use the standard GMT. Online, the beats go by GMT time. Offline, the beats go by if your GC's clock was set to GMT (which for most players, it is not set to the specific timezone), resulting in a difference between server time and offline beat time.

DezoPenguin
Apr 21, 2004, 03:36 PM
On 2004-04-21 13:27, Ketchup345 wrote:

On 2004-04-21 13:10, DezoPenguin wrote:

The Server's clock is set to a certain timezone, (I don't know exactly what one), but for example let's use the standard GMT. Online, the beats go by GMT time. Offline, the beats go by if your GC's clock was set to GMT (which for most players, it is not set to the specific timezone), resulting in a difference between server time and offline beat time.

Okay, thanks...I *think* I get it. If it's 12 noon in my time zone, the GC displays the beat time appropriate for 12 noon at the server's time zone when I'm offline?

Isn't that kind of moronic, though? I mean...if I make an appointment to meet someone online at "140 beats"...which is the whole point of this beat time crap anyway...how am I supposed to figure out what "140 beats" is (other than logging online and figuring out what beat falls where in my timezone on a separate occasion)? You'd think the software would be bright enough to convert local time.