PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pop/Punk bands?

Skagen
Apr 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
What's everyones favorite pop/punk bands? I myself like new found glory, the starting line, home grown, yellowcard, mest, sugarcult, simple plan, brand new, allister, the early november, never heard of it, and blink 182, i like some more but these are my favorites.

Ness
Apr 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
I really like Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff.

Kent
Apr 10, 2004, 01:03 PM
I don't listen to pop.

Xero_Silvera
Apr 10, 2004, 01:10 PM
absolutely cant stand pop...
but for punk, i like real punk, not some emo shit.. So i'd go with Anti-Flag.
-xero

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xero_Silvera on 2004-04-10 21:43 ]</font>

ERS
Apr 10, 2004, 01:21 PM
On 2004-04-10 11:10, Xero_Silvera wrote:

As for punk: Sex Pistols, Ramones, Pennywise.

Zero999
Apr 10, 2004, 02:03 PM
likin park!!!

Zaneatron
Apr 10, 2004, 04:28 PM
A) Hotwaterdeath is going to rape this topic alive

B) pop/punk is the genre, he doesnt mean Pop & Punk, he means pop/punk, the bands he listed fall into that group. I myself like a few of them, being homegrown, yellowcard, and brand new.

Pop/Punk is more light hearted rock, and not as deadly serious as other types such as metal for instance.

C) Emo is not punk in the first place

D) erm, LP and LB and other dumbass bands like that suck, im sure HWD would agree, so i have nothing to fear, apart from the other bands i agreed to liking. but meh, i dont listen to them 24/7.

Anyway, im more into FFAF, Thrice, Hundred Reasons, and Million Dead. bits of Iron Maiden here and there, and other random Heavy Metal, including Metal covers of greats such as "hit me baby one more time", "take on me" and some other song that i cant remember the name of at the moment...

whatev.

Noone
Apr 10, 2004, 10:15 PM
well... green day and offspring... is that pop/punk? don't pay attention.

Herogod
Apr 10, 2004, 10:41 PM
Punk:The Clash

Xero_Silvera
Apr 10, 2004, 11:47 PM
there are so many different styles of music these days its hard to classify stuff. And i will tell you right now that iron maiden ISNT pop OR punk and it definatley isnt both. Honestly, i dont think it's possible to be Punk & Pop, that would make you something completely different (like what new blink is turning into, *shiver*) And when i said emo, i just meant the crappy punk wannabes or the fading punk bands that are trying to go all soft.. (good charlotte = crappy punk wannabes; new blink: fading.. Just IMO tho.)
Anyways, i dont think Dead Kennedys classify as punk anymore, but maybe 80's punk or somethin =p
(haha the ramones kick ass too, but theyre classic as well!)
-xero

Zaneatron
Apr 11, 2004, 09:39 AM
i never said Iron Maiden are Pop/Punk, i said i listen to them, subtle difference.

Dont classify "fading" punk bands as emo, because its nothing to do with that. Good Charlotte were never all that good in the first place, and any punk band going soft isnt emo. emo stands for emotive or emotional, not soft. and songs like "i miss you" by blink isnt emo.

and the other bands i listed arnt pop/punk by a long shot, especially thrice...

wheres HWD? he hasnt raped this yet?

HotWaterDeath
Apr 11, 2004, 02:23 PM
On 2004-04-11 07:39, Zaneatron wrote:
i never said Iron Maiden are Pop/Punk, i said i listen to them, subtle difference.

Dont classify "fading" punk bands as emo, because its nothing to do with that. Good Charlotte were never all that good in the first place, and any punk band going soft isnt emo. emo stands for emotive or emotional, not soft. and songs like "i miss you" by blink isnt emo.

and the other bands i listed arnt pop/punk by a long shot, especially thrice...

wheres HWD? he hasnt raped this yet?

I'm on it now, buddy. hahaha

Good golly! I just wrote a big, piece of crap about this only to have it erased (I bet that'll save a HUGE amount of page space), so you people can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Suffice it to say, that punk and pop are TWO, ENTIRELY, seperate entities, that can never become one! "Pop"ular music is the embodiement of everything that "punk-rock" is (Supposed to be, mind you) "fighting" against. Punk was born to combat the popular music of the Dead heads, Beatles, etc. Anti rockstar, anti-establishment. etc, etc, et cetera. Pop music is a vehicle of the mass-media. Diluted commodites, or shallow vestiges of the art-forms they strive so hard to emulate. Simply put: There is not "pop" in "punk-rock".

I'd like you people to tell me how bands like NFG, the Ataris, Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday are punk rock? Feel free to answer, or just make asenine remarks about it, either way...I'm sure it will amuse me.

Then there's this "Punk"Voter.com site, which happens to be the biggest joke on the planet. Think about it, punkvoter".-Freakin' COM!" I bet they sell lots of tee-shirts though....mass manufactured tee-shirts are soo punk rock....and so are the child laborers that mass produce them for tards like Fat Mike. Maybe if they had some interesting leftist literature, it might make the venture worthwhile. But, as it stands, its a cheap effort to capitalize off the blind flurry of Dairy Queen skater-rats and Hurley kids. All style, no substance.

As for "emo". Know that the very mention of that "term" is slander. It is derogetory slang against the "Revolution Summer" break away of the the mid-eighties of the DC scene. Artists of the said form were most definitely inspired by late seventies punk, as well as 80's hardcore (Talking Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat) - who were, in turn inspired by early punk-rock as well. The emotional indie-rock scene was hoisted out of the ashes of the early 80's DC hardcore scene, in an effort to escape the blind conformity of the said scene (as well as the DC punk scene)and strive to achieve something beyond the confines of a restricting moniker. The result was the birth of what so many people call "emo", and the usage of such a term around that time would definitely be fighting words. I can understand why so many people hate this form when their introduction to it comes in the form of generic clones like; Saves the Day, or Coheed and Cambria. Heck, if that was my gateway into it, then the bloody fencepost would have enough chains on it to sink Rhode Island. Aim for the roots of any form, they're (For the most part) superior to the end product.

Now my fingers hurt. So, I'll stop.

Zaneatron
Apr 11, 2004, 03:38 PM
Now wasnt that enlightening kiddies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I cant claim to be a punk rocker and so fourth, but some of the music from it is good, some of it is shit. a lot of people focus on the words too much. i know you yourself dont like bands such as Homegrown, which is fair enough. i happen to like them, but its more about the actual music to me, if i like the tune and the way the song goes, i tend to like it.

I would agree that Yellowcard arnt punk at all, they have an electric violin for crying out loud. i like Believe by them, that being one of the only songs by them that ive heard, but i still liked it. its currently featured in Anwserman's sig funnily enough.

Pop/Punk is a genre put on bands that dont actually belong in the Punk genre, and then amazingly enough dont fall into any other. i guess its called pop/punk because its bound to be more "popular" than actual punk music, and is also a completely different sound too. its just the way of the world, everything has to have a genre, and if a new band come along who dont fit into one, one will be created for them.

i dont listen to the punk music all the much, its mainly about the rock/metal here. quite a lot of the stuff i listen to has a political slant to it, like Million Dead/Hundred Reasons, and the ex-kings of political rap/metal, Rage Against the Machine. Thrice, as my firend describes them, are "Post-hardcore Metal" and Funeral for a friend are basically Metal, but i find it hard to label them as my favourite band, if you like Iron Maiden, you should like them, seeing IM do http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif but they supported them on Iron Maidens UK tour recently http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

anwserman
Apr 11, 2004, 03:43 PM
I would agree that Yellowcard arnt punk at all, they have an electric violin for crying out loud. i like Believe by them, that being one of the only songs by them that ive heard, but i still liked it. its currently featured in Anwserman's sig funnily enough.

Thats really scary somebody noticed that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
http://www.lucky-s-designs.com/PSO/sig17.gif

I've been listening to Yellowcard as of recently, as a conversation with Mitch somehow lead to their name being stuck into my mind (we were listening to their music at the time too, which I did like!). So, I have Believe and Ocean Avenue downloaded, among two other songs I can't remember their names right now.

Eh, who cares if it is in a genre or not? If it sounds good to my ears, I'll listen to it. Simple as that.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

VioletSkye
Apr 11, 2004, 05:25 PM
TORI AMOS!!!!!!!
http://s88143030.onlinehome.us/ToriA57.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-04-11 15:28 ]</font>

HotWaterDeath
Apr 12, 2004, 12:46 PM
Well put Zaneatron.

Actually, I wasn't that down on Homegrown until they dropped their second guitarist and hopped on Drive-Thru records. Their previous releases were some decent speed-pop (With a hint of ska). I'm not totally against music like that, I just get a tad worked up when people call it punk.

Thrice is rather nice, and I believe your friends assessment of their style is dead-on. Iron Maiden rocked it as well. If only the bands that Iron Maiden inspired were half as good as they are.

DeathCheese87
Apr 12, 2004, 03:30 PM
Its weird, because when I first heard Fugazi, I could have sworn it was punk. But later I heard that it was really the foundation of emo. Well, Rites of Spring before them, I suppose.

PS modern emo/punk sucks.

Xero_Silvera
Apr 12, 2004, 04:13 PM
it was late at night and i misread your post.. i give!
-xero

Voodoochild
Apr 13, 2004, 11:01 AM
On 2004-04-10 11:21, ERS wrote:

On 2004-04-10 11:10, Xero_Silvera wrote:

As for punk: Sex Pistols, Ramones.

And Black Flag. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Outrider
Apr 13, 2004, 12:18 PM
I'd just like to state that the term "emo", while HotWaterDeath definitely knows what he's talking about, has come to mean a different type of music nowadays. As Zane said... emotional and whatnot. But as for the whole history... listen to HWD. He knows what he's talking about here.

HotWaterDeath
Apr 13, 2004, 03:37 PM
On 2004-04-12 13:30, DeathCheese87 wrote:
Its weird, because when I first heard Fugazi, I could have sworn it was punk. But later I heard that it was really the foundation of emo. Well, Rites of Spring before them, I suppose.

PS modern emo/punk sucks.

I'd say that Fugazi is definitely "punk-rock", if not by their unorthodox sound, then most definitely by their ethics. They most definitely rock. You're also correct about the Rites of Spring comment. They were defiintely the first (Well maybe them and Husker Du, but I'm leaning more toward Rites). Since Fugazi is composed of members from Rites of Spring and Embrace (The forefathers of the early indie rock movement) they could technically be lumped into the said movement/form, but I'm still iffy about that (Most would disagree with me there).You can thank Moss Icon for making the aforementioned music form into a bunch of high-pitched wads of...well I better leave it at that (Okay, so Moss Icon wasn't that bad, even if they sang really high).

I sincerely apologize for my rantings.

darthsaber9x9
Apr 14, 2004, 06:31 PM
WE INTERRUPT THIS THREAD TO BRING U THE FOLLOWING POST FROM DARTSABER9x9:

ok anyone heard of brian brain or public image limited?

pil especially- johhny rottens post-pistols project

my dad was bassist for both http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

on topic: yup ffaf rock.so do metallica, muse and feeder, none of which as pop/punk
o and who was it that said blink 182 are "becomming" pop/punk? cos fraknly they reached it already. way before they new material was written. imo anyway.

Skagen
Apr 15, 2004, 12:34 AM
HTD, I believe everything your saying, so what music genre would you classify most of the bands I listed above? Pop/rock? Modern rock?

Cheep
Apr 15, 2004, 01:07 AM
Can't think of anything recent...I like Bare Naked Ladies,but I don't really think they're pop... They sorta rap,well real rap. Most pop is scary,with men who look and sound like women and hoes!

Outrider
Apr 15, 2004, 01:57 AM
On 2004-04-14 23:07, Cheep wrote:
Can't think of anything recent...I like Bare Naked Ladies,but I don't really think they're pop... They sorta rap,well real rap. Most pop is scary,with men who look and sound like women and hoes!

Cheep... BNL isn't really rap... or punk. They're a kind of rock band, I guess? They're great, but not really part of the topic.

Orange_kid
Apr 15, 2004, 11:28 AM
Then there's this "Punk"Voter.com site, which happens to be the biggest joke on the planet. Think about it, punkvoter".-Freakin' COM!" I bet they sell lots of tee-shirts though....mass manufactured tee-shirts are soo punk rock....and so are the child laborers that mass produce them for tards like Fat Mike. Maybe if they had some interesting leftist literature, it might make the venture worthwhile. But, as it stands, its a cheap effort to capitalize off the blind flurry of Dairy Queen skater-rats and Hurley kids. All style, no substance.

That reminds me of my brother and his friends (13). They buy stuff like anarchy wristbands and tee-shirts... Yuck I hope it's just a phase...

Zaneatron
Apr 15, 2004, 11:30 AM
I blame Avril Latrine Laveine.

kevlar_pso
Apr 15, 2004, 11:50 AM
Multi Colored Plaid.

The pokinatcha punks are my fave. I've pretty much been down w/them since they first came out. I preferr their older stuff tho. "Bad Hair Day", man I love that song. Ghoti Hook's "Numbers" is a fav of mine. Their homage to PeeWee's Big Adventure is a good song too, "My Bike".

SJ
Apr 15, 2004, 12:34 PM
I have no idea if this fits in but...
Good Charlote
Bowling 4 Soup
Blink 182
Guns 'N' Roses

HotWaterDeath
Apr 15, 2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-04-14 22:34, Skagen wrote:
HTD, I believe everything your saying, so what music genre would you classify most of the bands I listed above? Pop/rock? Modern rock?

I'd place most of those bands as "modern-rock", possibly "pop-rock".

Skagen
Apr 16, 2004, 07:29 AM
On 2004-04-15 11:03, HotWaterDeath wrote:

Ok, yeh that's what I was thinking. Another question, are bands that play with trumpets ska bands?

Zaneatron
Apr 16, 2004, 09:27 AM
It isnt nescessary for Ska bands to have trumpets/trombones/saxophones in them to be ska bands, but they are usually instruments of choice amongst those bands to give them that different sound, and define them from other musical acts and genres.

HotWaterDeath
Apr 16, 2004, 10:49 AM
On 2004-04-16 05:29, Skagen wrote:

Ok, yeh that's what I was thinking. Another question, are bands that play with trumpets ska bands?

Not all "ska" bands implement brass instruments (Though, a solid brass line-up is usually the case when dealing with a ska band). The most tell-tale sign of a ska band is up-stroke barre-chords (Muted down-stroke) on the guitar, and a jumpy bass line of some sort (Or some random guy yelling "Hep! Hep!", "Pick it up!" etc. Man, I feel retarded when I actually put that in a sentence). To fully answer your question - No - not all bands with trumpets are ska bands. Hone in on the up-stroke barre chords.

As far as some classic ska bands. I could make a list the size of Kansas, but I'll just drop a few favorites in the pot.

The Skatalites - (The fathers of ska)
The Specials
Spring Heeled Jack (USA)
Fishbone
Hepcat

If you want more, I'll PM you or something.

Alielle
Apr 18, 2004, 12:38 AM
Pop/punk? Green Day's "Dookie" is classic. I have a hard time listening to anything else under that label.

I get annoyed when emo kid noobs call some of my favorite indie bands of 10+ years "emo". Go corrupt another genre, you bastards. >_<

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 01:22 AM
But emo has been around for quite more than ten years.

EDIT: Still, the problem is a lot of bands have taken on "emo" as indie punk... and that's just not the case.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-04-17 23:23 ]</font>

Skagen
Apr 18, 2004, 11:27 AM
On 2004-04-16 08:49, HotWaterDeath wrote:

On 2004-04-16 05:29, Skagen wrote:

Not all "ska" bands implement brass instruments (Though, a solid brass line-up is usually the case when dealing with a ska band). The most tell-tale sign of a ska band is up-stroke barre-chords (Muted down-stroke) on the guitar, and a jumpy bass line of some sort (Or some random guy yelling "Hep! Hep!", "Pick it up!" etc. Man, I feel retarded when I actually put that in a sentence). To fully answer your question - No - not all bands with trumpets are ska bands. Hone in on the up-stroke barre chords.

As far as some classic ska bands. I could make a list the size of Kansas, but I'll just drop a few favorites in the pot.

The Skatalites - (The fathers of ska)
The Specials
Spring Heeled Jack (USA)
Fishbone
Hepcat

If you want more, I'll PM you or something.

Ok, yeh I've noticed that up-stroke thing, also does it matter on the tempo of their singing to be a ska band? Because the ska bands I usually hear have a very fast tempo when they sing, or is it just the band's style and it doesn't matter how fast they sing to be a ska band?

NiNeTeeN69
Apr 19, 2004, 03:16 AM
Old School Offspring (Smash,Ignition & Ixnay)

HotWaterDeath
Apr 20, 2004, 11:10 AM
On 2004-04-18 09:27, Skagen wrote:
[quote]

Ok, yeh I've noticed that up-stroke thing, also does it matter on the tempo of their singing to be a ska band? Because the ska bands I usually hear have a very fast tempo when they sing, or is it just the band's style and it doesn't matter how fast they sing to be a ska band?

I wouldn't say all ska bands have "hyperactive" vocals. In fact the roots of ska are a really mellow. I'd say that the third wave of ska (The Operation Ivy breakthrough, and subsequently the birth of the three-chord rock/ska hybrid) was what influenced the speedy mix into ska.

All in all, its good stuff either way.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2004, 01:06 PM
Actually, wasn't ska originally a branching off from Reggae?

HotWaterDeath
Apr 21, 2004, 03:30 PM
On 2004-04-20 11:06, Outrider wrote:

I'm going to get a WHOLE lot of flak for saying this (But its the honest-to-goodness truth), ska came before reggae. The Skatalites melded ska out some nice Afro-Latin rhthyms, american jazz and R&B in (Some nice rocksteady) the early '60s. Ska, later,was slowed down and mutated into the reggae form.

I can feel the avalanche.....

Outrider
Apr 21, 2004, 04:08 PM
On 2004-04-21 13:30, HotWaterDeath wrote:

On 2004-04-20 11:06, Outrider wrote:

I'm going to get a WHOLE lot of flak for saying this (But its the honest-to-goodness truth), ska came before reggae. The Skatalites melded ska out some nice Afro-Latin rhthyms, american jazz and R&B in (Some nice rocksteady) the early '60s. Ska, later,was slowed down and mutated into the reggae form.

I can feel the avalanche.....

Actually, I don't think anyone here knows enough about music history to really argue. I certainly don't.

Allos
Apr 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
On 2004-04-15 10:34, SJ wrote:

Guns 'N' Roses

HELL NO! In no way is Guns N' Roses a pop/punk band. They're way better than pop/punk crap.

Zaneatron
Apr 22, 2004, 11:05 AM
On 2004-04-21 14:39, Allos wrote:

On 2004-04-15 10:34, SJ wrote:

Guns 'N' Roses

HELL NO! In no way is Guns N' Roses a pop/punk band. They're way better than pop/punk crap.

i think SJ was answering this question:

whats your favourite pop/punk band?