PDA

View Full Version : Authors

_Ted_
Apr 12, 2004, 01:33 AM
Assuming that of you here actually read books, who is/are your favorite author(s)?

My favorites are Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, and Tolkien.

Cheep
Apr 12, 2004, 01:36 AM
I like tolkein and I sooo don't remember the author of some of my favourite books I read in the 5th grade.

Stormsworder
Apr 12, 2004, 08:01 AM
Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, writers of the Left Behind series. And who was it who wrote Dune again? I kinda liked those books. Also, I like Tom Clancy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stormsworder on 2004-04-12 08:21 ]</font>

Allos
Apr 12, 2004, 10:15 AM
Crichton, Tolkien, and good ol' Tom Clancy!

Skagen
Apr 12, 2004, 10:44 AM
Dr. Suess, haha j/k. Wait no I'm not, his books are hella cool. But yeh I enjoy Dickens, and Tolkien and others. Oh I also like the stuff by Bill Watterson, haha does he count?

Arislan
Apr 12, 2004, 11:22 AM
Terry Pratchett, Terry Goodkind, Douglas Adams, Aaron Alliston, Michael Stackpole, Mark Fabi
The Wyrm, by Mark Fabi, has to be one of my favorite books of all time. If you haven't picked it up, like a mix of seriousness, Sci-Fi, and comedic injokes (Monty Python humor abounds) you owe yourself to do so. It's not a crazy funny book, it's very serious, and very intellectual, but it has a lot of humor in it while it's at it.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 12, 2004, 05:32 PM
Terry Pratchett. Love his books, they can be funny as hell, really taking the piss out of something, but then make sense. I just love his humour.

Also Phillip K Dick. His short stories are good, and i love Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Solstis
Apr 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
Hrm...

Tolkein, Garth Nix, Brian Jacques (or at least, I used to), whoever did "Dragon's Song," and many others whose names I have forgotten.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I like reading/playing games too much, *sighs*

BlackRose
Apr 12, 2004, 11:51 PM
Douglas Adams tops my list, by a long shot.

Honorable mentions are Frank Herbert (Dune), Michael Stackpole (Battletech), Bill Watterson (Calvin + Hobbes), and Wiley (Non Sequitur)

I just read Steve Martin's new book, "The Pleasure Of My Company," which I thought was really good, except the ending was way too perfect and happy. Everything else in the book seems very realistic and plausible. But then again, I guess it is set in Southern California. Everything is perfect and happy there.

navci
Apr 13, 2004, 12:37 AM
Books? What are they?!?!?!?!?
Are they edible? Are they tasty?....

I don't actually have a favourite author. I kinda pick up whatever I read. I like the books written by Dr. Oliver Sacks. I actually read his stuff in a text book, and then went ahead and bought his books.

I also like Thomas King. His short stories were very cool to read. Hmm hmmm.

But ya, I don't really have a favourite author.
Oh wait. I love Akutagawa Ryunosuke (who wrote Rashomon), and Mishima Yukio (who wrote... a lot of books, and harakiri-ed himself on TV)...

Yes.

_Ted_
Apr 13, 2004, 01:14 AM
On 2004-04-12 06:01, Stormsworder wrote:
And who was it who wrote Dune again?

The original Dune? Frank Herbert.

alredy_taken
Apr 13, 2004, 07:11 PM
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Lois McMaster Bujold

Outrider
Apr 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Tolkien
Douglas Adams
I've only read Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy, but it was good.
Oh, and Great Gatsby was awesome.

I don't read too many books nowadays.

But when I was younger... I loved Beverly Cleary, Bruce Covell and Patricia C. Wrede for her books with Dragons in the title. I'm uh... not exactly sure what to refer to that series as.

Man, reading is fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-04-13 17:40 ]</font>

Solstis
Apr 13, 2004, 07:46 PM
Oh!

I can't forget Anthony Swofford, author of "Jarhead."

Had to read that for my DE ENC 1102 class.

Very... "graphic"

DeathCheese87
Apr 13, 2004, 08:10 PM
Vonnegut RAWKS.

Cheep
Apr 13, 2004, 08:16 PM
Erm,does anyone know ho wrote A Jar of Dreams I really liked that book,it had a good message,so did Julie of the Wolves (I think thats what its called). I can't for the life of me remember the author of these and my new school library doesn't even have them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif I sorta like Alexander Dumas,too. heh