PDA

View Full Version : The Passion of the Christ

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 01:20 PM
I was wondering who here saw the movie and what effect it has had on them and their lives. If u wanna bash Mel Gibson that's fine, u can do that in another thread por favor. I've seen the movie and I have read posts from others who have seen it also. Not a movie for children. Even Christian children. Maybe when they hit the 6th grade @the earliest. Then they might be able to better grasp the movie.
So, what did you think?

Cheep
Apr 14, 2004, 01:33 PM
I'm an atheist so I haven't seen it and probably never will. I think like everyone else where I live has though,hehe. Maybe I could be a bhuddist...

navci
Apr 14, 2004, 01:47 PM
I kinda wanted to see it just to see what the hype was. But I never had the money and was told that it was really gory.. so I didn't see it in the end.

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 01:52 PM
Sure it is gory, but so is the Biblical account of the Crucifixion. "The Passion of the Christ" is true to what is protrayed in the Gospels. It is on par w/The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur as far as major motion pictures of Biblical accounts or set in Biblical times go. In other words. It is a must see. Even if you can only take it once.

Cheep
Apr 14, 2004, 01:56 PM
Everyone at school was trying to get me to see it. I wouldn't though. I've seen too much evidence disproving the christian and jewish religion and some others. I like my science! Anyway the people I've talked to who've seen it say its moving and stuff. so if you're not like me I think you should see it.

Stricker
Apr 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
Its a religious movie. And like all religions, people here were like "NO THAT WAS WRONG", "THAT DIDNT HAPPENED", "YES THATS WHAT HAPPENED YOU MORON", "NO HE..." And thats what I hate from religions. Thats why Im atheist.

Im really not interested in watching that movie. I prefer punisher or kill bill...

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, three posts from ppl who haven't seen the movie. Who here has? I just hope this doesn't turn into a religious flame thread.

ABDUR101
Apr 14, 2004, 02:26 PM
I'm going to pipe in and say if you haven't seen the movie, don't bother posting about whether you think religion is crap or not and your reasons. Stay on-topic and have some respect for other's beliefs even if you don't beleive yourself.

Cheep
Apr 14, 2004, 02:33 PM
On 2004-04-14 12:26, ABDUR101 wrote:
I'm going to pipe in and say if you haven't seen the movie, don't bother posting about whether you think religion is crap or not and your reasons. Stay on-topic and have some respect for other's beliefs even if you don't beleive yourself.

Umm,I don't care if you practice religeon. I respect those who do,and who don't. I just don't like people who push their religeon onto others who don't want it. I beleive this movie would be good for those who are christian. I'm just saying why I have not seen it which is an example of the fact that the movie does appeal to a limited audience. Most people where I live are christian or catholic so they saw it and liked it,but I have heard it is offensive to the jewish.

anwserman
Apr 14, 2004, 02:34 PM
I'm going to see it tonight with Mitch.
Full thoughts on it later. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Outrider
Apr 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
I thought it was pretty good. Very VERY gory, though. I also think some scenes were way too Hollywood for me. Meh.

The only part I really got a bit teary at was when Mary is in the alleyway and relating what's going on to when Jesus was a kid. A very emotional scene, but maybe it was jsut me.

Now, I'm catholic, but I'm not going to claim to know everything about my religion. Probably less than I should. But I was trying to pay attention to how Gibson might've made it anti-semitic as some people said. I understand the major argument is that he picked some key lines, but what I gathered while watching the movie was that he basically used the gospel from Palm Sunday where Jesus is condemned. Um, if that's what is supposed to be offensive... Christians hear it every year in church, so I'm a little confused as to why this should be as big a deal.

I dunno, I just have seen some people who are very very against this movie. A few have said they'll never see another movie that Mel Gibson is involved with ever again. The odd thing is the vast majority of them have not even seen the movie, and refuse to discuss how that kind of hurts their argument. A lot of these people could be quite militant...

I dunno, it was a decent movie. Even if you don't believe in it, I'm sure it could still be a powerful movie.

One thing I specifically remember though... at the very end when it shows Jesus rise from the dead... anyone else think it was a classic "cliffhanger to sequel" ending for a movie? I was kinda laughing about that later on.

DeathCheese87
Apr 14, 2004, 04:13 PM
I plan on seeing it, even though I don't practice Christianity.

Hahahaha, Kill Bill Vol. 2 comes first! But thats beside the point.

From what I've heard, its alot of hype. Eh, I'll have to decide for myself, eventually.

astuarlen
Apr 14, 2004, 04:18 PM
I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't at all impressed. :/
As a movie, I felt it was a huge disappointment. I hate to say this, but I was bored, really bored. Two hours of pure gore did absolutely nothing for me.
There was little to no character development, and therefore I found myself having little or no interest in the characters. The flashbacks to Jesus's past were, in my opinion, a feeble attempt to make up for the lack of background to the story and characters. Sure, a lot of people know the basic story, but as a movie, there needs to be some setting up of the situation. The movie opens suddenly with guards coming for Jesus. Well, why? There's a difference between getting a movie off to a fast and interesting start and feeling like you just sat down half-way into a film! To me, it felt like a poorly thought-out action film minus the special effects. >_>
To be honest, I couldn't care about the Jesus in this movie. It was completely imbalanced; the persecuted and suffering side was shown but not the good works and preaching side. A movie should be, IMO, a whole package. You can't just assume, "Oh, everyone already knows about all the great things Jesus did. Let's just leave that part out and add more whipping scenes!!" Take away the name, and the Jesus of this movie is just some guy getting tortured and executed. Change all the names and it could just as easily be "The Passion of Bob". And let's face it, no one would pay to see Bob getting whipped, abused, and nailed up to a cross.
I found the dialogue to be a bit simplistic, too. But it's not immediately obvious, because everything sounds good in a language you can't speak! Neato!
Now, you might say I'm missing the point. It's a movie about Jesus; it isn't supposed to be entertaining, you say. Ah, but I go to the movies to be entertained or moved emotionally. If I'm looking for spiritual fulfillment, I can pray or read a religious text or do something out of the goodness of my heart... for free!! This movie just didn't serve up the goods. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I'd be interested to hear what some other people who saw the movie thought. Everyone I've talked to so far who has seen it had a unique opinion of their own. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 04:50 PM
On 2004-04-14 12:33, Cheep wrote:

On 2004-04-14 12:26, ABDUR101 wrote:

Umm,I don't care if you practice religeon. I respect those who do,and who don't. I just don't like people who push their religeon onto others who don't want it. I beleive this movie would be good for those who are christian. I'm just saying why I have not seen it which is an example of the fact that the movie does appeal to a limited audience. Most people where I live are christian or catholic so they saw it and liked it,but I have heard it is offensive to the jewish.

Ty Abdur.
Cheep, this thread is not meant for me or anyone else to Beat ya'll up w/our Bibles. I suppose you could say that this does appeal to a limited audience. But then again, considering how much this low budget film has brought in, perhaps you need to redefine limited. $350,000,000 roughly. I respect that you are an atheist. I'm sure you have your reasons and I respect that. I don't like ppl who push their religon on others either. I don't believe in religon. I have a relationship. The movie has made me see that I need to build on the relationship that I have. Fact is Jesus was a Jew himself. People will argue that the Jews killed Jesus, but Christians will say that he gave himself up freely for all of us.

On 2004-04-14 14:18, astuarlen wrote:
I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't at all impressed. :/
As a movie, I felt it was a huge disappointment. I hate to say this, but I was bored, really bored. Two hours of pure gore did absolutely nothing for me.
There was little to no character development, and therefore I found myself having little or no interest in the characters. The flashbacks to Jesus's past were, in my opinion, a feeble attempt to make up for the lack of background to the story and characters. Sure, a lot of people know the basic story, but as a movie, there needs to be some setting up of the situation. The movie opens suddenly with guards coming for Jesus. Well, why? There's a difference between getting a movie off to a fast and interesting start and feeling like you just sat down half-way into a film! To me, it felt like a poorly thought-out action film minus the special effects. >_>
To be honest, I couldn't care about the Jesus in this movie. It was completely imbalanced; the persecuted and suffering side was shown but not the good works and preaching side. A movie should be, IMO, a whole package. You can't just assume, "Oh, everyone already knows about all the great things Jesus did. Let's just leave that part out and add more whipping scenes!!" Take away the name, and the Jesus of this movie is just some guy getting tortured and executed. Change all the names and it could just as easily be "The Passion of Bob". And let's face it, no one would pay to see Bob getting whipped, abused, and nailed up to a cross.
I found the dialogue to be a bit simplistic, too. But it's not immediately obvious, because everything sounds good in a language you can't speak! Neato!
Now, you might say I'm missing the point. It's a movie about Jesus; it isn't supposed to be entertaining, you say. Ah, but I go to the movies to be entertained or moved emotionally. If I'm looking for spiritual fulfillment, I can pray or read a religious text or do something out of the goodness of my heart... for free!! This movie just didn't serve up the goods. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I'd be interested to hear what some other people who saw the movie thought. Everyone I've talked to so far who has seen it had a unique opinion of their own. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyone who watches the movie will have questions about the film. If you want them answered, there are those who can give them to you. You just may not like their answers.

I think the movie had to be gory to stay true to what was written in the Gospels. I don't think the point of the movie was to be entertaining. Just to give a physical portrayal of what Christ went through. If you accept what He did fine. If not that's fine too. That's your perogative. As far as watchin a movie about some other guy getting tortured, I'm sure the ratings for the Jessica Lynch story were up there. Because ppl wanted to know what she went through.

I'm sure this movie appeals to Christians for the most part. I was just wondering if this movie had a dramatic effect on anyone and if it affected their lives.

Xero_Silvera
Apr 14, 2004, 05:00 PM
I'm athiest as well, and i do want to see it anyways. I just hope i dont burst out laughing at some random point where jesus screams..
As far as religion goes, i wont argue. But previously i was baptist, so i guess seeing the movie couldnt hurt. Everyone else has seen it, i might as well.
It's kinda like star wars if you think about it. People worship star wars, people worship god. People believe star wars is real, people believe god is real. People dress up like star wars characters at fan faires, people reinact thngs from the bible on easter or christmas. There are assloads of star-wars references & jokes, there are assloads of religious references & jokes.
People back when used star wars as a conversation starter, people now use the passion as a conversation starter.
"have you seen the passion, matt?"
"Sorry jennifer, i dont believe in god."
"Oh... you do realise youre going to burn in eternal hellfire, right?"
"Ha. I dont believe in hell either."
"oh."
-xero

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 05:12 PM
On 2004-04-14 15:00, Xero_Silvera wrote:
I'm athiest as well, and i do want to see it anyways. I just hope i dont burst out laughing at some random point where jesus screams..
As far as religion goes, i wont argue. But previously i was baptist, so i guess seeing the movie couldnt hurt. Everyone else has seen it, i might as well.
It's kinda like star wars if you think about it. People worship star wars, people worship god. People believe star wars is real, people believe god is real. People dress up like star wars characters at fan faires, people reinact thngs from the bible on easter or christmas. There are assloads of star-wars references & jokes, there are assloads of religious references & jokes.
People back when used star wars as a conversation starter, people now use the passion as a conversation starter.
"have you seen the passion, matt?"
"Sorry jennifer, i dont believe in god."
"Oh... you do realise youre going to burn in eternal hellfire, right?"
"Ha. I dont believe in hell either."
"oh."
-xero

Wow, thats pretty harsh. I guess I should have expected bashing. Maybe I'm the only one here that has been affected by this movie?

astuarlen
Apr 14, 2004, 05:48 PM
Anyone who watches the movie will have questions about the film. If you want them answered, there are those who can give them to you. You just may not like their answers.

I think the movie had to be gory to stay true to what was written in the Gospels. I don't think the point of the movie was to be entertaining. Just to give a physical portrayal of what Christ went through. If you accept what He did fine. If not that's fine too. That's your perogative. As far as watchin a movie about some other guy getting tortured, I'm sure the ratings for the Jessica Lynch story were up there. Because ppl wanted to know what she went through.

It's not that I don't understand the story. What I am saying is, as a movie, it was mediocre at best. It's an example of poor story-telling and characterisation. =/ It's not a matter of not believing what the movie is about. I've seen movies that affected me emotionally, and I think that is contributed to substantially by not only content, but also execution. I have some Christian friends who were very disappointed, as well, with the movie. I guess I'm just trying to say that, judged as a piece of cinematic art, The Passion is "meh", and because of that, the movie prevents itself from achieving its full potential impact. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

About the Lynch movie: But, see, she's not just anyone. The movie was a success because she was a news-celebrity, and there was tons of hype surrounding the whole situation.

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 06:04 PM
On 2004-04-14 15:48, astuarlen wrote:

It's not that I don't understand the story. What I am saying is, as a movie, it was mediocre at best. It's an example of poor story-telling and characterisation. =/ It's not a matter of not believing what the movie is about. I've seen movies that affected me emotionally, and I think that is contributed to substantially by not only content, but also execution. I have some Christian friends who were very disappointed, as well, with the movie. I guess I'm just trying to say that, judged as a piece of cinematic art, The Passion is "meh", and because of that, the movie prevents itself from achieving its full potential impact. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

About the Lynch movie: But, see, she's not just anyone. The movie was a success because she was a news-celebrity, and there was tons of hype surrounding the whole situation.

Just about everyone I know IRL that has seen it has been impacted in a major way. Take a look @Ebert and Roper. Two thumbs up. Obviously other critics are gonna label this a gore fest from a demented mind or call it anti-semitic. With the amount of box office The Passion has brought in, I'd say it's had a pretty big impact. Just listen to the ppl on talk radio. They love this movie also.

Bradicus
Apr 14, 2004, 08:17 PM
My friend (two years older than myself) broke down and cried at the end of the film. He is very religious, and it obviously touched him. Me, I like going to the cinema for fun. Although the film was very well made, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Cheep
Apr 14, 2004, 08:20 PM
On 2004-04-14 18:17, Bradicus wrote:
My friend (two years older than myself) broke down and cried at the end of the film. He is very religious, and it obviously touched him. Me, I like going to the cinema for fun. Although the film was very well made, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

well said,that describes it well http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

BlackRose
Apr 14, 2004, 10:16 PM
Well, I saw it. I'm not Catholic now, but I was raised Catholic so I know all the story. And I must say, it was pretty amazing. I didn't like it so much, but that was because of my beliefs and those aren't the point here. I have a huge amount of respect for this movie. Mel Gibson has done a terrific job with this movie, and he deserves every bit of acclaim he gets. What amazes me more is the perfomance from Jim Caviezel. He went through a pretty tortuous experience as well to turn out that movie. I don't know, but I've heard he could only get a few hours' sleep each night because of the makeup, and during the cross scene he got pneumonia from being up there so long, and he even got struck by lightning.

It's an epic film and extremely well done. However, it's probably not great at all if you don't know the story.

SorceressofTime
Apr 15, 2004, 10:16 AM
that movie made me have tears in my eyes throughout MOST of the film... first movie to have done that to me too.

i AM a catholic and yet i don't follow the religion, though the teachings of religion for me was actually helpful when i saw it. i'm glad i didn't study the bible as a subject in high school cause apparently it was detailed if you did. hmmm.

i wonder how they did the special fx... O.o

kevlar_pso
Apr 15, 2004, 11:39 AM
I saw an interview w/Mel Gibson where he talked about how Jim Caviezel was hung up there on the Cross between takes. Everyone was milling around w/their various tasks and responsibilies while Jim was still hung up there. Jim exclaims, "Can we get on w/the movie? I'm dying up here!" Since the purpose of the Cross is to wear the bearer out from having to push themselves up to breathe.

Orange_kid
Apr 15, 2004, 11:52 AM
I dunno, it was a touching movie, but I think it misses the main point of Christianity... Crist ROSE form his death. I don't celebrate his punishment... I celebrate the rising. They barely gave 3 min on that part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Orange_kid on 2004-04-15 09:52 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Apr 18, 2004, 11:59 PM
On 2004-04-15 09:52, Orange_kid wrote:
I dunno, it was a touching movie, but I think it misses the main point of Christianity... Crist ROSE form his death. I don't celebrate his punishment... I celebrate the rising. They barely gave 3 min on that part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Orange_kid on 2004-04-15 09:52 ]</font>

Well, ya gotta admit, after an ending like that Mel could certainly put out another one. "The Ascention" anyone? I think w/a movie as big as "The Passion of the Christ" we'll see more movies taken from the Bible.

derBauer
Apr 19, 2004, 12:17 AM
I think if you don't care about religion you won't care about the movie.
If you love jesus, you'll probably think the movie is the greatest thing since sliced booma.

Kent
Apr 19, 2004, 06:45 AM
I'm never going to watch this movie.

For starters, I'm not one for extreme gore like I've heard most people say this movie contains, and secondly... I don't want my mom giving me the "Jewish people are evil" speech again.

I'm not even going to get into how much I despise Christianity and Catholicism, as anything I have to say about them is deemed offensive...

...I don't feel like having Abdur yell at me again...

KodiaX987
Apr 19, 2004, 07:07 AM
On 2004-04-15 09:52, Orange_kid wrote:

Grosso modo, the movie's message is "Hey buddy, this guy went through hell for all you guys." At least that's the Passion part. There's a lesson for virtually every chapter in Teh Big Book.

Armok
Apr 19, 2004, 10:18 AM
I liked the film other than the bits with the devil in them far to arty.

Xero_Silvera
Apr 19, 2004, 10:32 AM
On 2004-04-14 15:12, kevlar_pso wrote:
Wow, thats pretty harsh. I guess I should have expected bashing. Maybe I'm the only one here that has been affected by this movie?

Well actually, i wasnt trying to bash this topic.. but i really have a sick sense of humor, and if there is gunna be lotsa religious people in the theater and i start laughing at jesus dieng because of my beliefs, its going to piss some people off. (even though they should allow me to have my beliefs scince i dont F with them for having theirs)
that was my only point.
-xero

Zzzzzz
Apr 19, 2004, 11:34 AM
Eh, I saw it. I am catholic, you know. My eyes became dry throughout the movie. Wierd, considering that, when I yawn, my eyes water up a little.

Yes, I was emotionally affected by the movie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zzzzzz on 2004-04-19 09:35 ]</font>

Boxblaster666
Apr 19, 2004, 01:01 PM
I just saw it the other day. I'm not catholic, but i know the story pretty well. It...I can't put my finger on it... but it did something to me, and I'm not the ype who is easily inspired. I saw what happened, and not saying anything religious, this was a man who made a choice to die for people. He loved all people, even though they beat him more than any normal man could take. He chose to die, he could have stopped it at any time. No man could ever go through that, and I mean no one. But I thought the freaky devil children were scarier than the Jesus beatings though.

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 01:35 PM
On 2004-04-19 08:32, Xero_Silvera wrote:
Well actually, i wasnt trying to bash this topic.. but i really have a sick sense of humor, and if there is gunna be lotsa religious people in the theater and i start laughing at jesus dieng because of my beliefs, its going to piss some people off. (even though they should allow me to have my beliefs scince i dont F with them for having theirs)
that was my only point.
-xero

That's fair, but don't you think laughing at the death of their savior could be interpreted as "f'ing" with their beliefs?

Boxblaster666
Apr 19, 2004, 06:20 PM
yeh really. Even I don't laugh at people's death in movies, unless it's really cheesy, like in older movies, or the ones they show at school.

Solstis
Apr 19, 2004, 06:58 PM
Maybe I'll see it on video (sounds anticlimatic to see it at home tho)?

I've heard some say they cried due to the message, others say they cried because they spent money on it.

I guess I'll see it one of these days, but I don't plan on reaffirming my faith through a movie. I think the bible has a wee bit more relevance than a blockbuster movie.

And... despite Gibson's well-intentions... he'd better give some of that bukoo (sp?) cash away to some churches or something, or he'll lose a lot of credibilty in my book.

kevlar_pso
Apr 21, 2004, 05:14 PM
On 2004-04-19 16:58, Solstis wrote:

I guess I'll see it one of these days, but I don't plan on reaffirming my faith through a movie. I think the bible has a wee bit more relevance than a blockbuster movie.

And... despite Gibson's well-intentions... he'd better give some of that bukoo (sp?) cash away to some churches or something, or he'll lose a lot of credibilty in my book.

Well consider that some of the wealtiest ppls of all time were recorded in the Bible. i.e. Abram/Abraham, King Solomon, Job. Why wouldn't God bless Mel Gibson for investing everything he had to get this movie made? And why is it that whenever ppls think of Christians, they think they are supposed to live on nothing and give all that they have away? As long as you tithe on your pay, God will take care of you if you believe He will.

Solstis
Apr 21, 2004, 05:19 PM
On 2004-04-21 15:14, kevlar_pso wrote:

On 2004-04-19 16:58, Solstis wrote:

Well consider that some of the wealtiest ppls of all time were recorded in the Bible. i.e. Abram/Abraham, King Solomon, Job. Why wouldn't God bless Mel Gibson for investing everything he had to get this movie made? And why is it that whenever ppls think of Christians, they think they are supposed to live on nothing and give all that they have away? As long as you tithe on your pay, God will take care of you if you believe He will.

My point is, we can't call Mel Gibson the holiest man on the earth.

He ain't, he's still human.

And what is he going to do with all of this cash, anyways?

Make a giant bank so that he can jump off of a diving board into it? (Ducktales... woo ooh!)

It would be nice if he at least gave some away to charity, to show that he cares. *sniffles*

kevlar_pso
Apr 21, 2004, 05:44 PM
Considerin what I know of Mel, I can't see him bein very selfish.