PDA

View Full Version : Read Any Good Books Lately?

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 01:35 PM
I just read a book by my sisters 5th grade teacher from back in the day. It's called "The Winter Walk". All about how life was a hundred years ago on the Seward Penisula of Alaska(which is where I'm from origonally). Very interestin read. How ppl survived in the harsh Arctic w/out western civilization always intrigues me.

Rite now I'm readin the 1st book in the Left Behind Series. A very good book. I've got the 2nd to read after I'm done and will probably read all ten. Well, by then there may be more. lol

LollipopLolita
Apr 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
yes some, but i don't think it would be of interest to anyone there

navci
Apr 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
On 2004-04-14 11:43, LollipopLolita wrote:
yes some, but i don't think it would be of interest to anyone there

try us! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 01:53 PM
Yea try us Lolli, I guessin I'm the only one here readin about Eskimo life a century ago. Then again I just may be the only Eskimo here! lol

Cheep
Apr 14, 2004, 01:59 PM
I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo right now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Kinda hard to understand at first,but much easier after. Can't say I've read anything that good in the past year,even. 5th Harry Potty stunk http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

tiltnkirby26
Apr 14, 2004, 02:08 PM
I'm reading The Lord of the Flies. OK book but all the symbolism(sp?) is a bit hard for me to catch sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tiltnkirby26 on 2004-04-14 12:09 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Apr 14, 2004, 02:24 PM
"Ishmael" and then "My Ishmael", which I started quite a while ago but hadn't picked back up.

For some reason I'd prolly be able to read it better if it were on the comp, damn turning of pages and all that.*

*New level of low.

LadyRedComet
Apr 14, 2004, 02:56 PM
I'm reading Kushiel's Avatar right now, and it's a very interesting book. The other two books in that series (Kushiel's Dart and Kushiel's Chosen) are very good as well.

Another good book is the Hyperion Cantos.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I like Sci-Fi

Rainbowlemon
Apr 14, 2004, 03:27 PM
On 2004-04-14 12:08, tiltnkirby26 wrote:
I'm reading The Lord of the Flies. OK book but all the symbolism(sp?) is a bit hard for me to catch sometimes.

Nooooo! I hate that book! Our English teacher was soo boring, he forced us to listen to him read through that every lesson for at least two months, analysing every single scrap of detail along the way! Gah!!

My favorite book (Or rather, set of books) is 'His Dark Materials' (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman. It is one of the most captivating series of books I have ever read, and I was literally crying towards the end. Please please do yourself a favour and read them all if you haven't, they are amazing!!!!

I read a book recently called 'The Day After Tomorrow', an uncategorisable book by Allan Folsom. (If I was attempting to categorise it, I would say it would go under Crime/action/suspense)

It had a very intricate plot, which was also extremely captivating, and although the beginning took a little while to get into, it was well worth it, as the story really had me sat on the edge until the very end. The beauty of it all was that questions about the things occuring were floating inside my head throughout the book, with me trying to figure out 'why this?' and 'why that?', and the very last sentence brought it all together, and solved all them questions. It was a strange, but nevertheless incredible experience, so I also seriously recommend this to anyone with the time!

~ Antimony

Bradicus
Apr 14, 2004, 03:31 PM
I'm a sucker for King books, so i picked up the new gunslinger yesterday... Still havn't managed to get around to it, as I just finished Wheel of time 11 (actually a prequel) two hours ago.

astuarlen
Apr 14, 2004, 04:29 PM
Wheeeee books! ^o^
Let's see, right now I'm reading The Collector by John Fowles and L'Etranger by Albert Camus (in French... damn you, French class! >_<)

Cheep: Gah, that book is so long and slow! I got about half-way through it, and decided to pick up the abridged version instead which was still 500 or so pages... >_>

Antimony: w00t, Dark Materials ownz0rz my phonez0rz... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Ness
Apr 14, 2004, 04:38 PM
I'm reading all the Magic: The Gathering Books by Robert J King. He's a pretty good author and uses comical elements and respectable rhetoric in his stories.

Sord
Apr 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
woo hoo, i am not the only one that has read His Dark Materials!!! I want my own daemon, or rather i want it to be in a visible animal form.

Other good books i have read...

"Abarat"
"Protector of the Small" (series)
"Eragon" (curently reading)
"Young Wizards Series" (series)
"Coraline" (a semi-good book)
"The Magic Circle" (hansel and gretel, but from the witch's point of veiw (before the house came about, so it explains that to,) short, but a good read)
Artemis Fowl (series)
"Sabriel," "Lirael," "Abhorsen," (trilogy, really great)

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 04:54 PM
I have over a hundred Star Trek books that I've read. My wife won't let me put them out on display tho. ha

Lord of the Flies was very good back in high school. I'm a sucker for some good American and English Lit.

Timeline by Michael Criton was very good. I let my Father-In-Law borrow it and he couldn't put it down. Hopefully the movie comin out on dvd will do it justice.

Sord
Apr 14, 2004, 05:05 PM
On 2004-04-14 14:54, kevlar_pso wrote:
Timeline by Michael Criton was very good. I let my Father-In-Law borrow it and he couldn't put it down. Hopefully the movie comin out on dvd will do it justice.

i remember that book, very good. But for such a sciency type book, they should have had a better explanation for what the guard was at the entrance to secret passageway.

also, i read a good book quite awhile back, but i can't quite recall it. It was either "Waylander" or "Waylander The Slayer"

Wyndham
Apr 14, 2004, 05:09 PM
currently reading: Book of Katana by that dude in DC PSO.
wanting to read: a menu.

...what?
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif
you deserved it.

Xero_Silvera
Apr 14, 2004, 05:13 PM
I was reading "The tragedy of macbeth" again for the 5th time... also 'The practical dictionary of Feng Shui'.. And i read "Misery" again, i love that book.
Authors:
Shakespear
Multiple, look for them online.
Stephen King
-xero
ps: lol im not sure if its stephen or steven, its been awhile scince i bothered to look o.O;

Sanjifire
Apr 14, 2004, 05:29 PM
Well...I was reading Lord of the Rings untill Cheep stole it from me. So I read Harry Potter(lame). I then Started reading The Hobbit BUT Cheep took it. My brother had LOTR by this time.
I have finally started reading The Hobbit.

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 06:05 PM
When I'm not readin Left Behind, I have a lot of Game magazines and basketball magazines I read. Oh and Transformers comics also.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 14, 2004, 06:10 PM
Im currently reading 'Montrous Regiment' by Terry Pratchett. Not the best of his books sadly, he seems to have taken i different writing style of late. I just wish i hadnt left the book back at my flat over the easter break http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Only other books ive read of late are 'The Witches Trilogy' by Terry Pratchett, they were good. Granny Weatherwax is a great character.

kevlar_pso
Apr 14, 2004, 06:18 PM
My wife is an avid Danielle Steele reader. She has @lest a dozen of them, if not more.

Firocket1690
Apr 14, 2004, 06:25 PM
What is this 'book' you gys are talking about ? never heard of it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On a more serious note:
I just finished the diary of Anne Frank. Thingy for school, started in November. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

i used to love books, dunno what the hell happened in recent years ...
(I got my computer... XD)

Outrider
Apr 14, 2004, 06:27 PM
On 2004-04-14 15:29, Sanjifire wrote:
Well...I was reading Lord of the Rings untill Cheep stole it from me. So I read Harry Potter(lame). I then Started reading The Hobbit BUT Cheep took it. My brother had LOTR by this time.
I have finally started reading The Hobbit.

The hobbit is great. I personally liked it better than the LOTR trilogy.

Sef
Apr 14, 2004, 06:27 PM
I just finished something by Steven King...

I think it was, "From a Buick 8".

Sanjifire
Apr 14, 2004, 06:54 PM
I think it is like that because it's easier to read. LOTR is hard to read sometimes even for me.

BlackRose
Apr 14, 2004, 10:23 PM
I just finished Steve Martin's new book, "The Pleasure Of My Company," and it really surprised me (considering what I've seen of Steve Martin). It was really an excellent book, but the ending... bah.

*could have sworn he posted that somewhere else*

I would read more books, but they're very bad for me. Make me stay up waaaaay too late.

*makes a note to pick up His Dark Materials*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlackRose on 2004-04-14 20:24 ]</font>

Outrider
Apr 14, 2004, 11:57 PM
On 2004-04-14 16:54, Sanjifire wrote:
I think it is like that because it's easier to read. LOTR is hard to read sometimes even for me.

I just really like the light-hearted adventure theme to the book. In LOTR, there's this heaviness that hangs over their heads for a good amount of the story.

Enyalis_Cho
Apr 15, 2004, 12:36 AM
On 2004-04-14 13:31, Bradicus wrote:
I'm a sucker for King books, so i picked up the new gunslinger yesterday... Still havn't managed to get around to it, as I just finished Wheel of time 11 (actually a prequel) two hours ago.

I own the entire Gunslinger series to date, as well as just about everything the man has ever written since he's my second favorite author. Have you been watching Kingdom Hospital by the way? It's quite disturbing.

Anywho, I'm currently reading Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury. It's pretty good so far.

As for your problem Abdur, try books on tape. My mom is really into them and is trying to get me hooked on them since I have less and less time to read. They're not that bad actually.

Eihwaz
Apr 15, 2004, 01:27 AM
On 2004-04-14 13:27, Antimony wrote:
My favorite book (Or rather, set of books) is 'His Dark Materials' (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman. It is one of the most captivating series of books I have ever read, and I was literally crying towards the end. Please please do yourself a favour and read them all if you haven't, they are amazing!!!!

~ Antimony

Ooh! Good taste! Those are excellent books, indeed. The first book is known as "The Golden Compass" in certain places (America, I think).

The ending of "The Amber Spyglass" was so sad, I was crying. For just a little bit, I couldn't help myself.

Eragon is really nice too, it was quite cool. Looking foward to any sequals.

Sord, isn't that "Arabat" book by Clive Barker?

Also, another good read is the sci-fi novel, "Shade's Children". It's by Garth Nix, and it's really good. Lots of freakiness, and a hopeful ending. Anyone else read this?

EDIT: Something Wicked This Way Comes was by -FAR- the BEST "in-class novel" I've ever read. Creepy, with a really unique writting style. I wanna try some of Ray Bradbury's other works...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-04-14 23:29 ]</font>

opaopajr
Apr 15, 2004, 04:05 AM
um, well i probably shouldn't answer this, it's so personal and all... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

what i'm reading right now:
'Unfortunately, It Was Paradise' translations of Mahmoud Darwish's poetry, renowned as the palestinian national poet. some of the poems are difficult, but others are just are completely overwhelming in their contrastive beauty. difficult, but rewarding.

'Premiere Etape - revised' Otto Bond. primer to get into the swing of reading french. quite useful

'"Ooki na Ie" o Mitegoran' Sodeyama Takuya. a japanese children's book, because my japanese is atrocious and i need to start somewhere.

'In Focus - Peru: Guide to the People, Politics, and Culture' Jane Holligan de Diaz-Limaco. learning about another culture. want to know more about where some relatives live.

'Poems from France' William Smith. anthology of poetry from france. nice layout too - one page french, alternate page the english translation. i've come to absolutely adore french poetry - and it's so much better in french.

'Bias' Bernard Goldberg. tried a conservative view of the media bias. poorly written, unacademic, ranting piece of drivel. i had to stop after i came across the 10th horrific misrepresentation of statistics to essentially lie to his audience. abyssmal.

'What Liberal Media?' eric alterman. this was the liberal view to complement and compete about theory in media bias. i had my reservations but it so thoroughly beat the pants off of 'Bias' as to leave no contest. i'm still gonna do more research, but it's definitely obvious who did their homework and who just likes to shoot off their mouth.

then there's another book on peru, by the US Army's research college, and another japanese children's book (on egyptian mummies! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) but i'm not gonna count those, because those i've just finished.

LollipopLolita
Apr 15, 2004, 11:08 AM
On 2004-04-14 11:45, navi wrote:
try us! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On 2004-04-14 11:53, kevlar_pso wrote:
Yea try us Lolli, I guessin I'm the only one here readin about Eskimo life a century ago. Then again I just may be the only Eskimo here! lol

I might be the only one here reading this stuff as well.

but alright you guys asked.

Three Books on Life - Marsilio Ficino
Soul Code - James Hillman
Original Self - Thomas Moore
Thou Art That - Joseph Campbell
Philosophies of Art and Beauty - Albert Hofstadter
Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism - Ayn Rand

and for light reading

The Losers' Club - Richard Perez
The Partly Cloudy Patriot - Sarah Vowell

if anyone wants a good funny book

Me Talk Pretty Some Day - David Sedaris

Aveida
Apr 15, 2004, 11:24 AM
I've been reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight, by Weis and Hickman. First part of a 4 book series of which I accidentially read the 4th book first. Doh.

kevlar_pso
Apr 15, 2004, 11:32 AM
OBTW if you liked the "Mother Earth, Father Sky" books by Sue Harrison you'll like "The Winter Walk" by Loretta Outwatter Cox.

Finished "Who's Lookin' Out For You" by *gasp* Bill O'Reilly. It's not as conservitive as you'd think. He does critisize dubaya in his book.

I need to finish "Left Behind" this week so I can move on to the second book.

Orange_kid
Apr 15, 2004, 11:44 AM
Hmm... Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovski if you like good non-fiction. I think someone tried to ban it back in the day because it offers evidence of the Old Testament being true, in a non-traditional sense.

Scales_of_Air
Apr 21, 2004, 08:19 PM
I recently completed The Bumblebee Flies Anyway by Robert Cormier. At first it was rather drab with so few characters with little developement, but as one reads further it becomes a great, worthwhile read with quite a haunting ending. I was sad when it ended (I am with every book I enjoy; I with the story would carry on for a while) but I guess all the characters had to... nevermind, just realized I might spoil it. But anyway, I enjoyed it.

Kadou
Apr 21, 2004, 09:41 PM
On 2004-04-14 12:56, LadyRedComet wrote:
Another good book is the Hyperion Cantos.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I like Sci-Fi

I didn't realize anyone other than me (on PSOW) has read this. It is, in my opinion, one of the best sci-fis out there.

Latelyy, I haven't been reading very much, though.

geewj
Apr 21, 2004, 10:33 PM
"The Sword of Truth" series, by Terry Goodkind, is a pretty good read. Give it a look!

DarthFomar
Apr 22, 2004, 04:08 AM
I read magazines, and comics, and game manuals. But books don't usually steer my way. Most of them are boring, unless it's a sci-fi novel, or adventure *not Huckle-berry fin stuff either*.

The Resident Evil, Star Wars, Marvel, LOTR, Tom Clancy, and game novels are usually the only books I read...but I don't read that many of them. I'm a spur reader *I like to read things that just happen to pop up in my day*; like cereal boxs, label warnings, game and movie cases, an occassional article here and there.

Nothing to fancy just enough to keep my mind at bay *as pathetic as that may sound* lol. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Roy_the_White
Apr 24, 2004, 12:26 AM
I just finished A book called Shogun and let me tell you. Its about a sailor from England that crash landed in Japan when his crew and himself were making the pass under South America. He ends up being spared by the local daiymo and is taught japanese culture and language in return for his knowledge of Europe and its warfare. Takes place in either the 14th or 16th century...during the time of the Jesuits. Dunno my history to well right now. Anyway this is one tight book if you are looking for all of these things...samurai that murder villagers because its in the law that they can, sex, and old skool Japanese culture, beliefs and philosophy. Extremely good book and would recommened it to anyone who wants to enjoy any of the above things and doesn't mind reading a whole lot (1220 pages er somewhere around there.)

FOAtHeart
Apr 24, 2004, 01:58 AM
I'm finishing up rereading a great book called Green Angel. Ya...it's a low reading level, but I love it's symboloism. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and i'm reading 'the world since 1500'

YAWN.

Rotis
Apr 24, 2004, 06:33 AM
Most recently I've read Blindness by Jose Saramago and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Both good, in very different ways.

Also read A Clockwork Orange recently... well, sort of re-read... fantastic book, but folks, don't try to write an 8-10 page paper on it, or you'll end up needing to choose a different book.

Anyone here ever read Toni Morrison? Sula was terrible, in my opinion, but I really liked Song of Solomon. Been meaning to read Love, her newest book.

What else... Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury... crazy stuff.

Also been meaning to read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, since I'm a damned tree-hugging environmental science student and all that.

_Ted_
Apr 24, 2004, 11:32 AM
Right now I'm reading Arthur Clarke's "Childhood's End," it's a tale involving a rather odd way to end the world, but I like it.

I've got a copy of Isaac Asimov's "Prelude to Foundations," I've skimmed a few pages of it and it looks good, so I'll start reading that in a bit.

Solstis
Apr 24, 2004, 12:57 PM
Kudos to those that read "Abarat" and the "Abhorsen" series.

I just recently read both "Jarhead" by Anthony Swofford and "The Things they Carried" by Tim O'Brien for school.

"Jarhead" is extremely ... upfront and to the point.

ladyjaderiver
Apr 24, 2004, 09:59 PM
Well, if graphic novels count as books, then "X/1999: 3 - Sonata" and "Rurouni Kenshin 4".

If you only want "real" books in the sense of the word, then several books on Mexican and Central American mythology (for my concentration artwork...), Harry Potter 4 (for the millionth time - it's good reading before a bath, if for nothing else, because it's so easy to read), and the Great Book of Amber (all 10 Amber chronicles in one).

Sord
Apr 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
On 2004-04-14 23:27, Eihwaz wrote:
[quote]

Sord, isn't that "Arabat" book by Clive Barker?

no, it's Abarat, I specifically remember because the way the font was made, you could turn it up side down and it would still be Abarat, just the letters would face a diffrent way as though held up to a mirror. Maybe it's one of those U.K. to America things. Like "color" and "colour" or "armor" and "armour."

Also, I have started reading a new trilogy, and I'm halfway through the second book. The series is called The Claidi Chronicles, made up of books called "Wolf Tower" "Wolf Star" and "Wolf Queen" in that order. I would explain it to you, but the complexity of the world and cultures makes it very hard to do so. So far I have found the series to be rather good, I recomend it.

Scales_of_Air
Apr 26, 2004, 03:58 PM
On 2004-04-23 22:26, Roy_the_White wrote:
I just finished A book called Shogun and let me tell you. Its about a sailor from England that crash landed in Japan when his crew and himself were making the pass under South America. He ends up being spared by the local daiymo and is taught japanese culture and language in return for his knowledge of Europe and its warfare. Takes place in either the 14th or 16th century...during the time of the Jesuits. Dunno my history to well right now. Anyway this is one tight book if you are looking for all of these things...samurai that murder villagers because its in the law that they can, sex, and old skool Japanese culture, beliefs and philosophy. Extremely good book and would recommened it to anyone who wants to enjoy any of the above things and doesn't mind reading a whole lot (1220 pages er somewhere around there.)

Cool, I just requested Shogun from the library. Looking forward to the read http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif