PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't the Saves like This...?

PJ
Apr 15, 2004, 06:00 PM
Alright. I was taking my friend home one day and he turned on his GBA for his Pokemon game. Apparently, he had turned the power off while it was saving, and it said his file was corrupt.

Being the PSO-minded person and aware of corruptions, even though never hit by one, I was like, "Uh oh, that's not cool @_@"

Then he presses start and his file is still there!

The only difference? It was where he was where he saved before his file had, "Corrupted."

So... maybe I'm just ignorant as to how the saves work in PSO (As in, really, I am ignorant on this matter @_@) but why isn't PSO like this? Considering how many times it saves online, we wouldn't lose much at all really.

I'm sure there's some technical answer to this right?

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 15, 2004, 06:15 PM
I suppose that most cartridge-based games that have a save feature will save a back-up of the save file. When you know that there isn't going to be any additional game data from other games in your memory space, you have that memory space to devote to the present number of save slots on the cartridge. In other words, when you KNOW what's going to be there, you can be prepared for it.

In the case of PSO... It very well could be that they're concerned about people exploiting the back-up save. Wouldn't be too hard, if you think about it. You wouldn't even need a cheat device.

TatuPreb119
Apr 15, 2004, 06:17 PM
tha biggest problem with that would be .. Kinda like a express lane for duping Thank god it doesn't work that way... not a good idea

sry alittle too much explanation

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TatuPreb119 on 2004-04-15 16:21 ]</font>

Cheep
Apr 15, 2004, 06:19 PM
I got really scared when that happened to my pokemon game. It would be nice if you could save like that on pso,but I don't think it'd work.

iamfanboy
Apr 15, 2004, 06:24 PM
If only the save system worked right in the FIRST place, so we wouldn't be constantly living in fear of hundreds of hours of work going straight to the shitter.

[/rant]

DurakkenX
Apr 15, 2004, 06:29 PM
damn them for patching that..., but actually they do have similliar...on DC it saved every 13 secs so a good dropper, like me, could dupe 30 items in about 2 minutes...now there is another save that you can do simmilliar with but i'm not at liberty to say on this board..and no i don't do it so http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 15, 2004, 06:54 PM
Maybe if the back-up didn't save items, it would work just fine...

DurakkenX
Apr 15, 2004, 07:05 PM
and thats what it does do...it saves your char data and what you have equiped while data, being as it is only temp and equipment is usually long term...THAT is why there is FSOD fear...5-13sec saves that aren't gonna cause slow down can only be minor...

the reason you can do this other dupe i mention is because it has to transfer and load ALL the data to the game, loading it into ever persons game so you could posably do it quicker, but i'm not goin there lol

PsychoMantis
Apr 16, 2004, 12:30 AM
actually it would be even better if u can save whenever u wanted in PSO (example: go to hospital and have an option to fill up life or save) this would kinda work like an rpg. u know that feeling when u get a new rare and u want to save but ur at the boss or just wanna go on w/ playing without restarting..yah this is when the saving would come in handy.

DurakkenX
Apr 16, 2004, 10:16 AM
once again with that you could abuse this and dupe super easy...drop, don't save, reload

Soukosa
Apr 16, 2004, 12:15 PM
On 2004-04-15 16:15, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I suppose that most cartridge-based games that have a save feature will save a back-up of the save file. When you know that there isn't going to be any additional game data from other games in your memory space, you have that memory space to devote to the present number of save slots on the cartridge. In other words, when you KNOW what's going to be there, you can be prepared for it.

That seems to be how Sonic Advance works. I think it has 6 saves on the cartridge, with 5 of them being backups. When one gets messed up, it uses the last backup save and if there isn't any other good ones, it'll just generate a new save.

Neith
Apr 20, 2004, 03:31 PM
Not necessarrily rite on topic, but i wouldnt recommend having an F-Zero GX save on the same card as PSO, whenever my F-Zero file corrupts, it takes the PSO file with it, just thought it mite be worth saying, use a separate card for pso.