PDA

View Full Version : Setting up xbox live

goku4ever
Apr 16, 2004, 11:49 AM
ok i think i no wot im doing i just wondered about the router. at this site:
http://www.xbox.com/en-gb/live/start/broadband/bt.htm
(look at pic)
the router is connected to the pc. Does it also work if the router is connected to a pc which is on wireless lan and the other computer having the internet thing that u connect wiv (if u no wot i mean)

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 11:56 AM
You really need to work on cleaning up your typing skills... It's difficult to understand what you're saying, especially when we're starting to get technical in nature...

BUT...

Keep in mind that the purpose of a Router is to distribute an internet connection to multiple devices. The example there suggests that you connect everything directly into your router.

To integrate the router into a wireless LAN, I'd reccomend that you plug your router into your wireless hub, but the catch there, is that you'd need a second wireless hub to plug your Xbox into.

Once you've done that though, you'd be good to go, so long as your wireless network is set up to communicate properly. Personally, I've never set up a wireless network, so I wouldn't really know how to accomplish that task.

Still, nonetheless, I'm not so certain that it's even possible to go through a computer to share Xbox Live! with your Xbox, seeing that Xbox Live! uses an unusual connection protocol that your computer is seemingly incapable of seeing.

goku4ever
Apr 16, 2004, 02:08 PM
firstly i choose 2 type like this coz its quiker and secondly it is possible to share the connection wiv Xbox and computer at same time.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 02:30 PM
On 2004-04-16 12:08, goku4ever wrote:
firstly i choose 2 type like this coz its quiker and secondly it is possible to share the connection wiv Xbox and computer at same time.

I can type like I flunked all my spelling tests in elementary, too; but I prefer to type so that people can understand me-- I probably type faster than you do, too; I've put more discipline into learning how to type properly. Remember that what you put up here is permanent. Shorthand is understandable in a real-time environment (such as an online game), but when posting on a forum, it makes more sense to make sure that your point is made, than to try to get your message up quicker. Speed is not a concern, here.

That asside. I'm not here to flame you about your spelling and grammar.

Yes, it's possible to share a broadband connection with an Xbox and a computer at the same time. That's what the router is for. Be advised though, that the Xbox likes to hog bandwidth while connected to Xbox Live!, and because Xbox Live! uses a peculiar protocol, I doubt that it's possible to share a broadband connection through your computer with an Xbox. Again though, this is what the router is for-- the router shares the connection so that your computer doesn't have to. The router logs in, and makes the connection active, then provides it to your LAN. The router will plug into your hub, along with your computer and your Xbox, therefore enabling your computer and your Xbox to be online concurrently.

derBauer
Apr 16, 2004, 03:37 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know what the fuck you are saying...
Try English next time.

BogusKun
Apr 16, 2004, 11:50 PM
On 2004-04-16 09:56, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
You really need to work on cleaning up your typing skills... It's difficult to understand what you're saying, especially when we're starting to get technical in nature...

Haha.. I was wondering the same myself...

Rich_T
Apr 17, 2004, 04:45 AM
Fist of all, if you havent already, you would be better asking about routers in tech suport.
without knowing how your internet stuff is set up, theres not much that can be done to help you.
you need to suply the folowing information

Your location
Your internet service type, DSL (ADSL/SDSL/VDSL etc down your phoneline)) Cable, Satelite, Wireless ( aerial on your roof pointing at a mast)
your conection equipment used on your P.C ( usb modme/router etc)