PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill Vol. 2

_Ted_
Apr 17, 2004, 12:36 AM
I just saw Kill Bill Vol.2 today, I really liked it (just like I liked the first one). I think it would have been better if they hadn't divided the movie into two sections though, I would have liked to see it as one long movie. Has anybody else seen the movie? If you have did you like it and did you think it was better or worse than Vol.1?

Pai Mei has got to be the coolest guy ever.

BlackRose
Apr 17, 2004, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I just saw it too. Definetely as cool (if not better) than the first. I disagree with you though, I think they're better seperate. Volume 2 is a lot different than the first one, it's tone is much more focused on what's going on in heads; not where those heads are going. Also, this way it's 5 hours long. Where can you go wrong with an awesome 5-hour movie?

Anyway, it's definetely worth not waiting for the cheap theaters to see.

Blue-Hawk
Apr 17, 2004, 02:43 AM
Saw it today also. Damn. This had the one single nerve wracking scene I have EVER seen in a movie. Now I know how must feel to be buried alive. >_<

_Ted_
Apr 17, 2004, 02:57 AM
Will spoil parts of the movie if you read this, so if you havent seen it, THEN DON'T READ IT!
Her being shot there in the begining really caught me off guard and then they buried her and I started thinking "How the heck is she going to get out of this?!"
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Spoiler Over.

Allos
Apr 17, 2004, 02:16 PM
I'm seeing it today. I tried to go yesterday but it was sold out.......and I was a very unhappy camper....

Evil_Althena8
Apr 17, 2004, 02:17 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I really want to! Vol.1 was awesome...i can't imagine it getting even better

Sef
Apr 17, 2004, 02:22 PM
As long as I can remember, I don't think I've even seen the first one. What's this whole series about?

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Apr 17, 2004, 03:17 PM
I've never been so disappointed in a movie. Volume 2 was crap. Pai Mai was the only redeeming point in the whole thing.

_Ted_
Apr 17, 2004, 03:35 PM
It wasn't what I was expecting, but I didn't think that made it total crap. Why do you think it sucked so badly?

That Pai Mei guy was the man wasn't he?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Ted_ on 2004-04-17 13:36 ]</font>

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Apr 17, 2004, 03:47 PM
It was a terrible follow-up. Volume one is one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it three times in theaters and bought the DVD on the 13th. Volume Two was different. By different I mean long and boring. There weren't any impressive fight scenes that let you know that the film was paying homage to/making fun of other movies. It seemed as though it was trying to create depth in the characters, and failed pretty badly. I read the script in early December, and I loved it. However, Tarantino removed every scene that stuck out in my mind as "Holy shit, that is going to be awesome."

It might not be horrific, but it is nothing compared to the hype, hope, and glory that volume one induced.

Outrider
Apr 17, 2004, 06:22 PM
On 2004-04-17 13:47, BlackCanaryOfDeath wrote:
It was a terrible follow-up. Volume one is one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it three times in theaters and bought the DVD on the 13th. Volume Two was different. By different I mean long and boring. There weren't any impressive fight scenes that let you know that the film was paying homage to/making fun of other movies. It seemed as though it was trying to create depth in the characters, and failed pretty badly. I read the script in early December, and I loved it. However, Tarantino removed every scene that stuck out in my mind as "Holy shit, that is going to be awesome."

It might not be horrific, but it is nothing compared to the hype, hope, and glory that volume one induced.

First off, I'd like to warn those who haven't seen the movie. I may post some spoilers in the following post.

Ok then.

You seem to be forgetting that it was never supposed to be two movies. YOu can't think of them as two separate works. There was no need for long dramatic fight scenes in the second part, as her enemies had changed their tactics.

However, I wouldn't have minded a bit more action. I'm not saying the movie was bad without it, I just wonder if it might have been better. Really, I just wanted Budd to fight, and not be some fat guy in Texas. Dunno why.

But I greatly disagree with your comment about Tarantino not paying homage and whatnot. Did you notice the entire section with Pei Mei was shot at a different quality to match up with those old-school Kung Fu movies? Or how they would do the ridiculous quick close-ups and things like that? I think Tarantino definitely did a good job. If anything, Vol. 2 was more like his old movies than Vol. 1. I really liked some of the things he did here. Aside from the "Old Kung Fu" stuff, some of his directing was great. Wasn't it cool when the Bride is just waking up after Budd knocks her out how it wasn't in widescreen anymore? Or how the credits were run in a similar fashion to old Lassie-era television shows?

I really enjoyed Kill Bill. I hope that when they release the second DVD, they maybe release a Director's Cut version that has both parts edited together like they were originally supposed to be. I'd really like to see that.

And by the way, what character did Tarantino play in this film? I wasn't really paying attention, but I didn't pick up on him at all.

Allos
Apr 17, 2004, 06:37 PM
On 2004-04-17 16:22, Outrider wrote:

You seem to be forgetting that it was never supposed to be two movies. YOu can't think of them as two separate works. There was no need for long dramatic fight scenes in the second part, as her enemies had changed their tactics.

However, I wouldn't have minded a bit more action. I'm not saying the movie was bad without it, I just wonder if it might have been better. Really, I just wanted Budd to fight, and not be some fat guy in Texas. Dunno why.

But I greatly disagree with your comment about Tarantino not paying homage and whatnot. Did you notice the entire section with Pei Mei was shot at a different quality to match up with those old-school Kung Fu movies? Or how they would do the ridiculous quick close-ups and things like that? I think Tarantino definitely did a good job. If anything, Vol. 2 was more like his old movies than Vol. 1. I really liked some of the things he did here. Aside from the "Old Kung Fu" stuff, some of his directing was great. Wasn't it cool when the Bride is just waking up after Budd knocks her out how it wasn't in widescreen anymore? Or how the credits were run in a similar fashion to old Lassie-era television shows?

You took the words right out of my mouth. It seemed to me that Vol.2 made up for the missing action with character development, and vice versa for vol.1.

-Geshtar-
Apr 18, 2004, 01:13 AM
Eeee...spoiler.

When "the bride" ripped out Elles eye. That was like nerve shocking at first...but when she was rolling around screaming, hilarious/ more grossome to think about being totaly blind and in pain like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Geshtar- on 2004-04-17 23:13 ]</font>

_Ted_
Apr 18, 2004, 02:44 AM
On 2004-04-17 23:13, -Geshtar- wrote:
Eeee...spoiler.

When "the bride" ripped out Elles eye. That was like nerve shocking at first...but when she was rolling around screaming, hilarious/ more grossome to think about being totaly blind and in pain like that.

Yeh, I was expecting some sort of big elaborte sword fight, but that was a pretty cool way to end it too. Damn that woman for killing Pai Mei!

Kent
Apr 18, 2004, 05:02 AM
...What's this "Kill Bill" nobody will shut up about?

Solstis
Apr 18, 2004, 11:15 AM
I do agree (as does my mom, not so much my dad) that Volume 2 had more... "umpf" to it.

The plot, the jokes, the dialog were all MUCH better.

Sure, there weren't as many fight scenes (although there weren't really 88 of them---that gave me a laugh), but there were more "duels" and such.

Though....

I still think that Bill isn't dead. Why?

It's a Tarantino movie. (did anyone see that preview for the new Jet-Li one.... *gurgle*)

Allos
Apr 18, 2004, 11:25 AM
On 2004-04-18 09:15, Solstis wrote:
I do agree (as does my mom, not so much my dad) that Volume 2 had more... "umpf" to it.

The plot, the jokes, the dialog were all MUCH better.

Sure, there weren't as many fight scenes (although there weren't really 88 of them---that gave me a laugh), but there were more "duels" and such.

Though....

I still think that Bill isn't dead. Why?

It's a Tarantino movie. (did anyone see that preview for the new Jet-Li one.... *gurgle*)

The Jet Li thing looks like Kill Bill: Chinese Edition. But I do think that Bill is dead.

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 12:29 PM
Actually, I read that Tarantino was considering a Volume 3 for the future.

Ok, first off, I'd just like to state that I really REALLY hope he was kidding. I don't want anything else, as that would just ruin it.

But anyway, he said that it would deal with Vivica A. Fox's daughter being raised by the eye-patch lady to go after Uma Thurman for revenge.

Allos
Apr 18, 2004, 02:00 PM
On 2004-04-18 10:29, Outrider wrote:

Ok, first off, I'd just like to state that I really REALLY hope he was kidding. I don't want anything else, as that would just ruin it.

But anyway, he said that it would deal with Vivica A. Fox's daughter being raised by the eye-patch lady to go after Uma Thurman for revenge.

I don't think it sounds that bad at all!

Solstis
Apr 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
On 2004-04-18 12:00, Allos wrote:

On 2004-04-18 10:29, Outrider wrote:

I don't think it sounds that bad at all!

Me either.

Then, the two daughters fight it out!

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 02:30 PM
I think this is one of those cases where they shouldn't make a sequel. It's exactly how it should be as is.

Madzozs
Apr 18, 2004, 07:08 PM
Spoiler warning:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Did anyone else notice that the 5 point palm heart exploding technique, which was supposed to have killed the person after 5 steps, actually took 6 steps(7 if you include him standing up). Either way, that was a great way to end it.

Bradicus
Apr 18, 2004, 07:17 PM
On 2004-04-18 17:08, Madzozs wrote:
Spoiler warning:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Did anyone else notice that the 5 point palm heart exploding technique, which was supposed to have killed the person after 5 steps, actually took 6 steps(7 if you include him standing up). Either way, that was a great way to end it.

After seeing that, i had the uncontrolable urge to start poking people in the chest...

I never thought a film could surpass pulp fiction and reservoir dogs...

_Ted_
Apr 18, 2004, 07:18 PM
On 2004-04-18 17:08, Madzozs wrote:
Spoiler warning:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Hey! I was counting those steps and it only took him five! He collapsed after the fifth steep with his leg appearing to take another step.

Madzozs
Apr 18, 2004, 07:26 PM
His foot lifted, moved forward, and touched the ground. That counts as a step in my eyes. Either way, I figure its just that it takes a second or two for something to explode inside your body, and the blood will obviously be thrusted quite violently through your veins so a 6th step is almost inevitable. Either way, I'm just a stickler for that kinda stuff.

Allos
Apr 19, 2004, 02:42 PM
On 2004-04-18 17:26, Madzozs wrote:
His foot lifted, moved forward, and touched the ground. That counts as a step in my eyes. Either way, I figure its just that it takes a second or two for something to explode inside your body, and the blood will obviously be thrusted quite violently through your veins so a 6th step is almost inevitable. Either way, I'm just a stickler for that kinda stuff.

I never saw it touch the ground either....

metatime
Apr 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
The movie that Jet Li is in is called "Hero." Its a high budget Hong Kong movie that was made a couple of years ago and QT just want to import it over here.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 25, 2004, 07:33 AM
I enjoyed the movie, but it felt totally different to the first volume. I was just gagging for a great action scene and for Bill to show what he was worth, but i was kinda let down on both those points. Not to say it was a bad movie mind you. Alot of people ive spoken to have said they were bored during alot of the scenes, but i sat and watched every part intentavily.

Spoilers:
Only thing i think they should have cut down on: Budd getting fired. That scene just felt out of place and not really necessary for the length it was. That scene could have been summed up in 2 minutes to show how down on his luck he was, not dragged out for so long.

Good movie though.

Anubis_
Apr 25, 2004, 08:37 AM
I stopped watching kill bill for the first time to catch the shuttle(troop bus) to come to the MWR room(rec room with internet and phones) to utelize this computer to make posts.. like this one..

I only saw the first few scenes but when i get back to my platoon tent i'll wath the entire thing.. Plus volume tent..

A SGT in my squad baught the bootleg from the Haji Mart.. i mean the Bizzare(sorta like the black market..if you will) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/Chocolate.gif

I really liked volume one so far.. espesialy the animated parts.. which kinda threw me off for a second.. i kinda thought it was distastefull at first considering alot of people dont like anime..

But at the same time the idea is kindof inviting.. so i liked it..

Im really not up on this so does anyone know if there are only two volumes, or is more to come???

Ness
Apr 25, 2004, 09:18 AM
Overall it was great movie, but I did have a few complaints. In the first one they went into the history of the two people she killed, but they didn't do that in this one. Also, they never explained why Budd, Bill's brother, lied about his sword.

navci
Apr 27, 2004, 11:46 PM
On 2004-04-25 07:18, Ness wrote:
Also, they never explained why Budd, Bill's brother, lied about his sword.

If you walked into 2 thinking about seeing lots of killing and blood fountains, yes, then you'll be really disappointed and think it sucks.

But it does have a lot of character material. It's very different. And bro and I had a kick out of Pai Mei's Chinese dialogue, geebus, who wrote them?

Maybe spoilers.

Anyhoo. About Budd. Hm. Did we ever know what kinda disagreement Bill and Budd had? It would seem to me that Budd has just abandoned his past and went out to some middle of nowhere to start a new life of some sort. That's why he refused Bill's help on not getting himself killed by the Bride. And maybe that is why he said he sold the sword cuz he wants Bill to know that he isn't gonna go back to what he was before?

If you think about it this way then it makes sense that they show Budd being fired. Cuz, surely from the company of his you know that he could have make himself boss of that club and kick that dude's ass, but it seems like he is trying very hard just to live a normal life.

That's my theory.
The way he talked to Elle about comparing two Hanzo swords made me feel that he prolly knows more about the swords than Elle, and his fat, normal life is just... well his altered ego, perhaps?

Capricornus
Apr 28, 2004, 06:00 AM
Yeah I liked the movie a lot too.
Spoiler alert coming

What I mostly liked about the movie was that Tarantino always likes to surprise the spectators.
Example is when the bride meets Elle.
When both Hanzo swords cross each other, I think everybody was expecting a long swordfight, however, the fight ended very quickly in an unexpected move from the bride. (lol thinking about it)

Also when the bride meets Bill, who wasnt expecting a long swordfight on the beach? Then again, Tarantino packs out with the heart exploding palm tech (then again, I was expecting the bride to do this on Elle or Bud, but by the time she arrived at Bill I completely forgot that technique)

The Bud char surprised me a lot too. After viewing the first part, who wasnt expecting him to be the though guy of the group. He however ends up being fat, alcoholic and being killed by Elle.

Sad thing is Tarantino never showed the actual killing in the church (we just saw what happened before and what hapened after)

I also liked the Bill char a lot. After hearing him out it felt like you almost liked him and were willing to forgive him for his actions (he loved the bride a lot) Fave Movie quote was Bills when the bride asks an explanation for his action at the church: "Maybe I overreacted a bit"

navci
Apr 28, 2004, 01:30 PM
May contain Spoiler.

On 2004-04-28 04:00, Capricornus wrote:
Yeah I liked the movie a lot too.
Spoiler alert coming

Sad thing is Tarantino never showed the actual killing in the church (we just saw what happened before and what hapened after)

I thought it was the ingenius thing. Afterall we have seen many, many bloody scenes I thought leaving this one out actually make you think what happened and having to use your imagination. I personally think it was very good that it was left out.

I also liked the Bill char a lot. After hearing him out it felt like you almost liked him and were willing to forgive him for his actions (he loved the bride a lot)

That scene almost confused me. When I saw them sitting down peacefully making a sandwich I was almost wondering, will she actually kill Bill? Like, one moment they are just sitting down talking, the next they be pulling out guns and such.

But I guess that's the good part of it.

DeathCheese87
Apr 28, 2004, 08:48 PM
Give me my animated back stories!

DarthFomar
Apr 28, 2004, 10:51 PM
I liked kill bill...

But this disturbs me...I read this article 2 days ago that said Uma's *kung fu abilities* are better than Keanu Reeves'. Let me just say that she did a good job in the movie and all...but if Keanu Reeves and Uma Thurman duked it out, she would get royally beat down. Granted if she got to use her swords, it would be the other way around...unless he used one as well.

This aside...I can't wait to see KB vol. 2.