PDA

View Full Version : Broadband adapters on AOL broadband

joddy24
Apr 17, 2004, 03:45 AM
I need help desperatly. I've been on tons of sites and noone seems to know if Broadband adapters work on AOL broadband in the UK. Please help me as I have been waiting to get online for over a year now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joddy24 on 2004-04-17 06:26 ]</font>

Rich_T
Apr 17, 2004, 04:52 AM
I need help desperatly. I've been on tons of sites and noone seems to know if Broadband adapters work on adapters work on AOL broadband in the UK. Please help me as I have been waiting to get online for over a year now.

this aplies to the UK only:

Until recently AOl would nly work with the modmes they suplied, and they didnt suply routers or any type.
however recently things have changed, and some but not all routers now work with AOL, all you need is a compatable router, and a BBA.
you can try asking for compatable routers on the AOL forum on ADSL guide at http://www.adslguide.org.uk, say you want to get your games console online and you ave AOL broadband, what routers will work.

joddy24
Apr 17, 2004, 08:17 AM
Thats Fantastic!
Just one thing, I don't know much about these routers. What do they do?

Ketchup345
Apr 17, 2004, 08:35 AM
On 2004-04-17 06:17, joddy24 wrote:
Thats Fantastic!
Just one thing, I don't know much about these routers. What do they do?

They let you have multiple machines on one Broadband internet connection. So you can have the DSL/Cable modem hooked up to the router, and the GC (and/or) XBox and a few comutputors hooked up to it so that they can all be online at the same time (the more things sharing the connection at one time, the slower the speeds will go, but it won't matter too much if only a few things {2 or 3} are on at the same time).

joddy24
Apr 17, 2004, 09:02 AM
Does the PC have to be on while my GC is then?

Ketchup345
Apr 17, 2004, 09:20 AM
On 2004-04-17 07:02, joddy24 wrote:
Does the PC have to be on while my GC is then?

Not if you are using a Router, only if you are using ICS.

The Modem is hooked up to the Router (which has its own power source), and the Router connects to the GC.

joddy24
Apr 17, 2004, 11:33 AM
I just went on the site above and a guy said that routers cost around £93! What the hell!? I'm 14 for god sake I could never afford that! Is that how much you guys payed for it?

Steal
Apr 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
keep searching for routers online they have cheaper ones out there. but they arent really cheap though

Rich_T
Apr 17, 2004, 01:41 PM
heres how it workds, the router your after has a built in modem, and there comonkly called ADSL routers , or modem/routers.
it may also be worth asking on the adslguide forums about setting up Internet conection sharing with AOL for use with an online gamesconsole.
your basic costs are going to be:

35pounds for the BBA
5 pounds for the ethernet cable
60pounds for the router

With internet conection sharing your looking at
35pounds for the BBa
3 pounds for the Crossover ethernet cable

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2004-04-17 11:42 ]</font>

joddy24
Apr 18, 2004, 06:24 AM
Thats a point...
can I get online without a router on AOL Broadband?

Rich_T
Apr 18, 2004, 06:33 AM
it might be posible to set up internet conection sharing, theres a description on how to do this in this forums sticky.
also it might be worth asking on the AOL forums on adslgiude on how to set up ICS with AOL for an online gamesconsole.