PDA

View Full Version : possibility of an expansion?

Alisha
Apr 17, 2004, 04:29 PM
do you think theres enough abscent cards to faccilitate(sp?) an expansion
today i decided to do a quick romp through ep2 and upon examining my banks i said to myslef WTF theres no card for that. i mean seriously i could make short list

Talis
Demo comet
Guardianna
fucking gae bolg! <---WTF! brioniac and vjaya but no gae bolg
section id cards
soul banish
colored rings not including red but including ragol ring
rico's glasses and earings
twin brand
gi gue bazooka
berla cannon
s-beats/reds blades
of course to balance it out they would have to make some new monsters or introduce more + version of monsters
and they could also give us the option to create our own SC and allow us to level to and gain abilities for it

Arislan
Apr 17, 2004, 04:38 PM
Many of those items that you listed do have card descriptions, but no actual data. Some of them were rather powerful as written, and were likely cut due to play balance issues.

Given the number of enemies and items that could exist and don't, yeah, I'd say ST has a very good opportunity for an expansion. Problem is that the expansion and the original couldn't "talk" to one another, as any new cards would not be viewable on the original.

Link00seven
Apr 17, 2004, 05:37 PM
They could do a EpIII Ver.2 and allow you to set it for either users of EpIII or the new one. If you set it for original, you couldnt have a deck with the new cards.

I'd like to see that be released, and maybe the JP version of it having English...so I could import it and not pay the stupid $8.95/mo...

Getintothegame
Apr 17, 2004, 05:47 PM
And fix some glitches http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

3v1L19
Apr 17, 2004, 05:58 PM
On 2004-04-17 15:37, Linkooseven wrote:
They could do a EpIII Ver.2 and allow you to set it for either users of EpIII or the new one. If you set it for original, you couldnt have a deck with the new cards.

I'd like to see that be released, and maybe the JP version of it having English...so I could import it and not pay the stupid $8.95/mo...

That would kind of delete the purpose for The new version if you couldnt use the new cards in the old version its too soon anyway this game will be uber dead and no one will want to play PSO anymore after about the end of summer...Only if they brought back Another episode and did the old style with hand to hand combat no dang cards...

Arislan
Apr 17, 2004, 06:07 PM
Hmm, I think someone's a bit bitter about Ep 3 being a card game.

In any case, this game has afollowing about half as strong as the orignal PSO, numbers wise on servers right now. So saying it will be dead come summer isn't really a true statement. Despite being around 4 years old now, the PSO franchise is still going surprisingly strong.

Squall179
Apr 17, 2004, 06:13 PM
Anyway, those cards are DANGEROUS! The Pioneer 2 scientists might have gone back to Photons again because of the Germ so....it might not be a card game anyway if there was a continuation of the series. If I remember correctly however, it was said somewhere that Ep3 would end the Ragol senario.

3v1L19
Apr 17, 2004, 06:20 PM
On 2004-04-17 16:07, Arislan wrote:
Hmm, I think someone's a bit bitter about Ep 3 being a card game.

In any case, this game has afollowing about half as strong as the orignal PSO, numbers wise on servers right now. So saying it will be dead come summer isn't really a true statement. Despite being around 4 years old now, the PSO franchise is still going surprisingly strong.

I bet you half those players that are playing right now will have quit by summer anyway... so the people that play during the summer will have about the numeber of people playing now...

I bet ya alot of DC players and GC players that arent gonna play this game would come back if they went back to the original idea with no cards..

Boxblaster666
Apr 17, 2004, 08:11 PM
would it be possible to make new cards (of course would be online only), not included in the game's original programming?

Kanore
Apr 17, 2004, 10:52 PM
A continuation-type expansion like War and Starcraft would be nice. New cards AND a continued storyline, since they're 'ending' at EPISODE 3.

Of course, how could you to compare to Blizzard?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChibiWarrior on 2004-04-17 20:53 ]</font>

Herogod
Apr 18, 2004, 09:48 AM
On 2004-04-17 14:38, Arislan wrote:
Many of those items that you listed do have card descriptions, but no actual data. Some of them were rather powerful as written, and were likely cut due to play balance issues.

Given the number of enemies and items that could exist and don't, yeah, I'd say ST has a very good opportunity for an expansion. Problem is that the expansion and the original couldn't "talk" to one another, as any new cards would not be viewable on the original.

I don't feel that is true they could put some info server side for the original version to read I remember that ver1 users could use and see ver2 items

3v1L19
Apr 18, 2004, 10:09 AM
On 2004-04-17 18:11, Boxblaster666 wrote:
would it be possible to make new cards (of course would be online only), not included in the game's original programming?

Thats a really good point...Maybe they could do that...but wouldnt you kinda half to be online or something or maybe it would just be a little download box. Anyway that Downtime might take a little more then an hour.

Codester
Apr 18, 2004, 12:22 PM
I'm no expert on what size of a download for card that have data (but still have discriptions and models) would be. I did read somewhere that Nintendo is planning on releasing a 1000 some block memory card though...

Arislan
Apr 18, 2004, 02:14 PM
Actually, a V1 player couldn't see any of the V2 models. They showed up as a standard weapon of whatever type it was (Elysion was a Saber, Twin Blaze a Double Saber), and if the V1 person picked up the weapon and piped with it, it *became* that V1 weapon. Bye bye V2 Ultimate rare.

In any case, this wouldn't work on Ep 3. I'll just call it V1 and V2 for ease of use. V1 user has no card art and no card data. V2 user plops down a Twin Blaze on his Hunter. V1 user sees a placeholder image, card art and data. Ok. But V1 user still has no description, or an old description, of that card. So V2 user then goes and whoops the V1 user with an ability the V1 user didn't kow the Twin Blaze had, given that it's not printed on the card. Not going to work.

The download data thing would be a god idea, and I support it, except for the fact that neither Nintendo nor Sega will force all users to go out and buy another memory card just to play their game. It's simply not going to happen. I would love it to, and would gladly run out and buy another 10 dollar card, but they just won't due it, due to marketing risks.

Boxblaster666
Apr 18, 2004, 02:24 PM
Any Ep3 fan would get it. THey can planon making them based off the sales and online participation of Ep3. If they made a $10 memory card and alowed character and card transfer, id get it in a snap.

Boxblaster666
Apr 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
or they could make a expansion disk (just with updates, not a full game, and make it 10 to 15 bucks) and have it join with the data already on your memory card.

Codester
Apr 18, 2004, 02:42 PM
I don't know if another memory card would absolutly be needed. I don't think that a save of just card data would take up that much memory space, if they do in fact still have descriptions and character models of some cards on the disc.

Then again, if you think about it, if we keep our current rate of receiving E card quests online, we probably have enough unreleased cards to last us until Christmas...

Kanore
Apr 18, 2004, 02:45 PM
The expansion is not likely to come next year even; ST will be busy keeping up with X-Box, Ep3, and Blue Burst.

Arislan
Apr 18, 2004, 03:01 PM
The descriptions would change. They'd have to. Some of the cards on here, if left the way they are, would simply be far too overpowered to be used properly. Which would require a new disc, sinc eI highly doubt Sega built in the capability of reading data files from a memory card. Would be great if they did, but I somehow doubt it.

punkasssss
Apr 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
sonic team is a bunch of crooks anyway, sure they would do it. Nintendo had the memory expansion pack for N64, although it was for more than 1 game, and Sonic team has released 5 versions of episode 1 and 2. I don't think they would have any qualms about releasing a game that required you to buy another memory card.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: punkasssss on 2004-04-18 13:05 ]</font>

punkasssss
Apr 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
actually 6 versions if you count blue burst.

Codester
Apr 18, 2004, 03:13 PM
The descriptions would change. They'd have to. Some of the cards on here, if left the way they are, would simply be far too overpowered to be used properly. Which would require a new disc, since I highly doubt Sega built in the capability of reading data files from a memory card. Would be great if they did, but I somehow doubt it.

They changed the discription of Explosion online, didn't they? If so, couldn't they do the same for the overpowered cards?

Edit: Also, while I have not gone through all of the special effects, some of them could be countered by giving the cards low stats and/or a high cost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Codester on 2004-04-18 13:16 ]</font>

Arislan
Apr 18, 2004, 03:57 PM
No, they fixed the effect of explosion online, it didn't work how it was stated. So if anything, they fit it to the description.

Some simply can't be fixed by raising cost. Double Edged Dice for example. 1-3, card attacking dies, 4-6 card defending dies. Throw a Dice Fever on and you have an action card that can kill anything in one hit, barring SCs. I suppose making it 7 cost would help, but anything below that would make it too easy to play.

Getintothegame
Apr 18, 2004, 08:54 PM
EDIT: Nevermind http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2004-04-18 19:16 ]</font>

Perfection_of_Mark
Apr 18, 2004, 08:59 PM
Umm... couldn't they just regulate some of those uber cards like they do with Red Slime? I do beleive his stats are different online than offline. Also, isn't the possbility of limiting cards to like 1 per deck. I know other card games have these kind of rules. Personally, I think if they did add these 'upgrades' weither by download or purchase, I think any online player would get them as who wouldn't want to be up-to-date with everyone else. And even if they would still be game-breakingly uber offline, who'd care? So what if you can cream your buddy who's over to your house, or beat Pollux easier (in fact i'd like to be able to beat her more easily.)

Boxblaster666
Apr 18, 2004, 09:05 PM
I know that it shouldn't be out soon, but in a year or so, it will be needed, if they want to keep the game alive.

RuinedReBirth
Apr 19, 2004, 10:42 AM
Heh, and if they do do that, hopefully they will add the most elite card of all to the US pso...DEL RAPPY!!!11!!!1!!1!! WHOAMG, HEIL DEL RAPPY.

Arislan
Apr 19, 2004, 11:49 AM
The Del is out there, you just need to complete the oh so onerous task of collecting every single card in the game. Still a 98%'er out there, nothing higher (unless you count a cheat)

Malkavian
Apr 21, 2004, 10:48 AM
I really doubt it. For 2 reasons.

They said that wouldn't do more episodes/expansions of the same.

Episode 3 sold very bad.

An expansion of ep3 would reduce more the amount of players.

Arislan
Apr 21, 2004, 01:29 PM
Like I stated in the post about Ep 3 sales, it really didn't do that badly, given it's market. It's not *meant* to be a million seller, and I highly doubt Sega went into it expecting it would be. I sold decently well, more than well enough to make back profits and provide for new content (even well enough to pay GMS, but.. Meh). Just because it didn't sell as much as offline only games is not an indicator of much.

EJ
Apr 25, 2004, 03:56 AM
Also to point out it probably would have sold much better if there were some advertising if any for the game. I don't really remember if there were any for Ep1&2 also http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Edit: hehe typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2004-04-25 01:57 ]</font>

Arislan
Apr 25, 2004, 04:23 AM
They had plenty, I have a ton of print ads for all but the original PSO. Unfortunately, they all have this squiggly Japanese stuff on them...

EJ
Apr 25, 2004, 04:31 AM
On 2004-04-25 02:23, Arislan wrote:
They had plenty, I have a ton of print ads for all but the original PSO. Unfortunately, they all have this squiggly Japanese stuff on them...

They did in the US http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif . Hmm.. strange how I missed all of them. Did they also have tv ads? Cuz I don't remember seeing one cuz the only ads I see are for like zelda, mario, and other headliners games.

Arislan
Apr 25, 2004, 05:33 AM
I do remember catching a few ads in a couple of magazines, but never a full pager. And I never saw any TV ad at all for it. So no, this game was marketed by sheer word of mouth and branding.

Omega_Nova
Apr 25, 2004, 08:39 AM
about the expansion idea, it could be quite possible for ST to release a download (Similar to downloading a quest...) that would take up the for space of those 256 block memerory cards that would just includes some cards and stuff. I hate how the put the Billy Hatcher video in there but couldn't include a delsaber!

Callie
Apr 25, 2004, 01:35 PM
PSO has 4 different types of files:

Charater
Guild Card
System
Download

Don't you think they could have a forced download or save in the System file?

Raven2x
Apr 25, 2004, 02:25 PM
358.Gae Bolg.-----------mult.Sword-type. item.Hunter only..CG.SSword..CG AP Count...CG.SSword..CG AP Count.During battle,.this card.temporarily.gains AP 1/2 of.the number of.sword-type.items on the.(Continue)..field, including.itself

rofl

Skorpius
Apr 25, 2004, 02:44 PM
I have a 2 page ad for EP1&2 for Gamecube O.O
forgot what issue, but its Tips&Tricks, who also had DC PSO, and GC PSO guides..

Herogod
Apr 25, 2004, 06:43 PM
ep3+ MUST exist now! With the new BB monsters unleashed they will need an expansion http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_Nova
Apr 30, 2004, 09:48 PM
Pulls out my varista! ST WILL MAKE IT! Grabs a rag Rappy and takes it hostage, They have three months until this Rappy's head gets blowen out!

Arislan
Apr 30, 2004, 11:21 PM
Nah, the EU version will barely have come out by then. Perhaps a year and 3 we may be looking at one, but not a simple 3.

Omega_Nova
May 1, 2004, 07:44 AM
Need more hostages!!!

EJ
May 1, 2004, 11:15 AM
rag rappies?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif They are the best hostage to have cuz no one really cares for them unless you are a rappy lover http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif . I suggest trying to take Sonic, Elly, or Calus hostage cuz ST seem to care for them more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

-STE-
May 1, 2004, 02:09 PM
Lots of card was on ep 3 trial like Section ID cards i had one with VIP card but after Sega deleted it from final version... strange

Castoth
May 1, 2004, 02:21 PM
After ST announced they are making Blue Burst, anything is possible. Unfortunately, Episode 3 hasn't been exactly stellar in the sales department and the numbers of people that do play this game online has dwindled significantly.