PDA

View Full Version : heart of poumn

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 09:59 PM
"A Laconiatask tempered with the Eclipse Torch's flame. Also known as Alis' Claw."
would someone please tell me what the hell this is about, i got this the other day, i know what it is(i'm using it at the moment) but what the hell is the..."A Laconiatask tempered with the Eclipse Torch's flame. Also known as Alis' Claw."
all about?

iamfanboy
Apr 17, 2004, 10:02 PM
It's from Phantasy Star II, I think.

...I think. I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know, but I think I remember something about a character named Alis in that one...

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
thanx, but what is phantasy star II? and who is alis?

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2004, 10:07 PM
On 2004-04-17 19:59, Dana_ranger wrote:
"A Laconiatask tempered with the Eclipse Torch's flame. Also known as Alis' Claw."
would someone please tell me what the hell this is about, i got this the other day, i know what it is(i'm using it at the moment) but what the hell is the..."A Laconiatask tempered with the Eclipse Torch's flame. Also known as Alis' Claw."
all about?

Well, I haven't played PSII, but let me explain what I can.

Laconiatask, I think, means it's like a tool, or weapon forged from Laconium metal. Like the Club of Laconium. Perhaps it only refers to bladed weapons, though...

The Eclipse Torch, I THINK, is some kind of eternal flame that the Motavians worship as a diety.

And Alis was a character in PSII.

Again, I need someone to confirm these, as I'm really not sure.

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 10:15 PM
i was pretty cluesless too at first... after someone had told me that heart of poumn meant a planet called poumn in the middle a solar system in one of the ps games... i'm sure poumn is somewhat related to a planet...

and it was also mentioned at the ruins dor along with mutts and ditts... which might also be planets from another phantasy star game...

as for tempered with an eclipse torches flame, it could be referring to the metal from which the claws were made from being forged or just heated with that flame...

well.. the only info i could find about it was Here (http://www.algol-star-system.net/library/comparisons-pso.shtml), and poumn is supposed to mean palm... also... the ragol ring is a pso referance to the Algol ring and the description for it is as accurate as that of the Algol ring http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dragon_Ash on 2004-04-17 20:34 ]</font>

iamfanboy
Apr 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
*fanboy sucks on his old, toothless gums as he prepares to recite ancient video game history*

Phantashy Shtar I & II were the only worthwhile RPGsh on the Shega Genesish, oh my yesh oh my.

I don't know if you young'ns remember that shyshtem; maybe you've sheen the Mag? I remember a time when I would have called you a liar, if you had shaid to me that Shega would be making gamesh for Nintendo, becaushe for a long, long time it was Nintendo vershush Shega...

*rocks back and forth in his old, creaky chair as he falls back into memories of a better time, a simpler time, when Sonic games were about Sonic the HEDGEHOG, and not stupid foxes piloting mechs or dumb moles flying around looking for gems*

Well, I never played that many games for the sega, actually. The only other worthwhile RPG I ever played was Shadowrun, and that's because I'm a Shadowrun player from wayyyy back.

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 10:39 PM
thank you, that cleared that up for me.

Jae
Apr 17, 2004, 10:40 PM
Eihwaz, Dragon_Ash and iamfanboy pretty much covered it...

Mutts, Ditts and Poumn were originally Motavia, Dezolis and Palma. These three planets were the main setting of the Phantasy Star universe, although one of them got blown up in PS2, I think it was Palma. Don't ask why the names changed over time, I think that's just Sega/Sonic Team being lazy their JP-to-US translations as usual.

The Eclipse Torch is also a recurring theme in Phantasy Star, and was supposed to be a thing of worship for the people of Dezolis. This site (http://www.algol-star-system.net/library/comparisons-4.shtml) says this about the Eclipse Torch:

The Eclipse Torch is regarded as a symbol of worship (PS4).
"- An eclipse occurs on this planet once every hundred years. A torch lit during an eclipse is called an "Eclipse Torch" and is regarded as holy by the Dezorians."

Laconium is just a metal that usually made "strong" weapons in the PS series. Too bad all we got was the cruddy Club of Laconium for PSO.

Alis actually made her appearance in the original Phantasy Star for the Sega master system, where she was the heroine.

In other words, the description on Heart of Poumn is just another reference to the fragmented story of the old Phantasy Star series.

*edit* I got beat to the punchline.

On 2004-04-17 20:27, iamfanboy wrote:
*rocks back and forth in his old, creaky chair as he falls back into memories of a better time, a simpler time, when Sonic games were about Sonic the HEDGEHOG, and not stupid foxes piloting mechs or dumb moles flying around looking for gems*

Truer words have never been spoken. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jae on 2004-04-17 20:49 ]</font>

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
wow, all that from just alittle question, i never new how deep this game was....

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 10:56 PM
yes.. there are a lot of things that relate to the phantasy star series.. like Nei and Rika's claw... and even the rag and al rappies were in PS before this... still running away http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 10:59 PM
now i just want to know more.....what the hell is all the other stuff about, rag/al rappy rika's/nei, i really want to know

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 11:04 PM
eh... @_@

then please use the link i provided in one of the above posts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 11:10 PM
so what exactly is psi, i,etc.......

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 11:15 PM
did you get the link that i posted in the first post?

and PSi is just phantasy star 1, and should be PS1...

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 11:18 PM
ok and psi, the i is roman numerals.......so ps1 is basicly what happend before pso, got it, i hope

Jae
Apr 17, 2004, 11:20 PM
Wow that really is a nice site now that I'm actually taking the time to check it out. I forgot how well done Rika's character model was. I wish PSO HUnes could get some armor like the suit Rika wore, instead of their current tacky outfits...

Rappies were enemies in Phantasy Star, Nei was something of a tragic heroine in Phantasy Star II, and Rika was the butt-kicking HUnewearl (Newman) in Phantasy Star IV.

Here's the link Dragon_Ash posted earlier.

http://www.algol-star-system.net/index.shtml

You really should check out the PS1, PS2 and PS4 if you haven't played them already. I can't recommend PS3 because I hated that game from start to grueling finish.

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 11:25 PM
yeah, the costumes are pretty cool.. especially Rika's.. and a nice kicka$$ claw too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

just from one weapon (heart of poumn) i feel the need to learn about the other PS games @_@; *is confused as to why*

maybe it's just one of sega's plans to get people back into PS http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 11:28 PM
still wowing the whole depth of Phantasy star, now i have 2 final questions.......i've completed both episodes many times in ep i i saw a new ending type thing are there any pics of that any where and what actually happend at the end?

Thank you SO much for helping me understand PSO better

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
well there are three sets of clips for episode 1 and none... one set is the original one that you get upon completing the game, the other from completing all quests and the last by finishing the ultimate difficulty setting... hopes that helps http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 11:37 PM
do you know where i can find images of these?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dana_ranger on 2004-04-17 21:41 ]</font>

Dragon_Ash
Apr 17, 2004, 11:41 PM
i'm not to sure... there might be some on psow.. but i haven't seen them, but as far as i know finishing the game will allow you to see them

Dana
Apr 17, 2004, 11:46 PM
thanks, you said that there is 3, but i think theres 4, 1 is after norm/hard, 1 after v.hard, 1 in ult and ther other one.....1 nrm/hrd-you
1 v'hard-you in diff style
1 ult-red ring rico
1 other-has alicia, bernie rico and her dad training, rico has red saber her dad has elysion

Evil_Althena8
Apr 18, 2004, 01:47 AM
Alot of weapons in PSO are references to old PS weapons and such. Rika's Claw(a newman from PS4), Nei's Claw(newman from PS2), Alis(from alot of PS's), and the Psycho Wand(wand from PS4 that Rune used to defeat Zio) are all from past PS's. As are alot of the techs. Foi and Res are some...I can't remember what Zonde and Barta were called.

Saffran
Apr 18, 2004, 01:38 PM
Depends on teh game. Barta was in PS3 only IIRC. Zonde was... not really there in PS2, the closest is Zan but it was wind based. Grants was a light based spell in PS2, and Megid was the "ultimate technique" (killed anything (except DF and Motherbrain) but cost half of your whole party's HP and 34 TP).

I love the weapons and armors descriptions, because it reminds me the other PS... and 3 was a lot of fun, with all due respect http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kargorok
Aug 11, 2004, 08:29 PM
Parma, not Palma is the name of a grouping of stars I believe, which is where the name of Parma, the planet got it's name. Dezolis and Motavia the second two planets were the remaining ones. Parma, which supporeted Human life was destroyed due in large part to Dark Falz, a.k.a Dark Force. Ships much like Pioneer One and Two left Parma before the explosion and some of them made it to Dezolis and Motavia. Motavia was known for it's bearlike race called none other than Motavians. Gryz is probably the most well known. As I recall the remains of Dark Falz, Known as the D cells landed on Motavia in a crevace known as birth valley. This spread upon the world like a virus, and appeared that Dezolis was experiencing similar problems of destruction. My guesse is that Dezolis was changed to Coral but that might not be right. And finally Mutt Ditz Poumn were incantations to the power of the triplanitary pact. Infact upon summoning a PB if you are quil enough you can read the words "I wish it at an alliance from several years ago" and "Pleaase protect us with virtue you are the great light power." This refers to the planetary pact, to seal away the dark god that plauged the three worlds. Also the planets were part of the Algol system. Funny the planet they find their old nemesis on is named Ragol eh?

Eihwaz
Aug 11, 2004, 08:35 PM
On 2004-08-11 18:29, Kargorok wrote:
Parma, not Palma is the name of a grouping of stars I believe, which is where the name of Parma, the planet got it's name. Dezolis and Motavia the second two planets were the remaining ones. Parma, which supporeted Human life was destroyed due in large part to Dark Falz, a.k.a Dark Force. Ships much like Pioneer One and Two left Parma before the explosion and some of them made it to Dezolis and Motavia. Motavia was known for it's bearlike race called none other than Motavians. Gryz is probably the most well known. As I recall the remains of Dark Falz, Known as the D cells landed on Motavia in a crevace known as birth valley. This spread upon the world like a virus, and appeared that Dezolis was experiencing similar problems of destruction. My guesse is that Dezolis was changed to Coral but that might not be right. And finally Mutt Ditz Poumn were incantations to the power of the triplanitary pact. Infact upon summoning a PB if you are quil enough you can read the words "I wish it at an alliance from several years ago" and "Pleaase protect us with virtue you are the great light power." This refers to the planetary pact, to seal away the dark god that plauged the three worlds. Also the planets were part of the Algol system. Funny the planet they find their old nemesis on is named Ragol eh?

-_-

You're not supposed to block old topics, and this one is four months old, so...yeah. Read the Forum Rules (http://www.pso-world.com/faq.php?myfaq=yes&id_cat=9&categories=Forum) before posting.