PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 11:54 AM
I just saw the Resident Evil 4 trailer (about 10 mins of in-game footage) they supplied with this months Cube Magazine (UK).

I think the game looks great, a massive improvement over all the other games in the series. I liked Resi 1 and 2 but by the time Code Veronica and Zero and Remake had come out, the whole Resi Scene was looking a little repetetive. But the footage of Resident Evil 4 looks amazing. Semi-Intelligent Enemies (well, how intelligent can a paranoid in-bred from Europe be?) and new weapons, camera angles, attacks and bosses. The gameplay looks like it has had a complete overhaul; the in-game footage looks as realistic as cut scenes from FFX and the mood of the whole game looks dark, evil and overall pant wettingly scary.

Anyone else seen the footage yet? Any thoughts on the game??

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 12:27 PM
As IGNCube's Matt Casamassina once said, Resident Evil 4 will be my father.

Yes, the game looks like it will be awesome, but I'd just like to note that if you skipped out on the REmake, you're really missing out on one of the most atmospheric games to date. Zero was also pretty cool, so I mean... at least try one of those two.

But to reiterate, RE4 looks rockin'.

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 12:35 PM
I have every Resident Evil game (Except the Survivor Series, they just awfull) REmake was good, but it was just repetetive, if youve played 1,2,3,Veronica then it was all a bit samey.
But Resi 4 looks so great, the only GC Resident evil so far (Exclusivly to GC I mean) And the possibilty of muliple characters to play as (In the bottom right of the In-Game footage is a health meter with the word 'Leon' by it, as his name is by it does this not mean that there will be other characters to play as? Cube magazine asked Nintendo about this point and they said that other STARS members will be playable yet gave no indication of who).
I can't wait till this game comes out, it will indeed, be my father.

Kizaragu
Apr 18, 2004, 12:56 PM
I'm really excited about this game also, but there's one small thing that bothers me about it.
Throughout the whole Resident evil series it's been pretty much, We must destroy Umbrella! We must rid the world of them! and there's been all this build up for say, a whole resident evil game based in the main main Umbrella HQ and then... Resident Evil 4.
Oh yeah, Umbrellas dead now. No more of them.
A little bit of an anti-climax, no?

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 01:19 PM
Actually, the other character is going to be somebody new, not a STARS member. I think it was mentioned in some interview on IGN.

And I know what you mean, Kiz... especially since every RE game since 2 has had some sort of mention of "stopping Umbrella" and it just goes and happens while we're not looking.

I mean, I'm assuming that Umbrella is definitely not gone, so we could still have some huge game about destroying Umbrella with (hold on... must remember everyone): Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca, Billy, Leon, Claire, (Hunk?), Carlos, Nicholai, Ark, (Lily & Lott?), Sherry, Ada, Wesker, Steve, Bruce and Fongling, DIJ the Mouse and any other surviving characters I may have forgotten. (I don't even know about those Outbreak characters.)

Jeez, there's a heck of a lot of characters sitting around doing nothing, aren't there?

Heck, Resident Evil Online should've just been everyone picks a character and runs at Umbrella with a gun. There seem to be enough characters that everyone could pick a different one and there'd still be plenty left over. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-04-19 12:54 ]</font>

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hmm...Cube magazine says that Capcom revealed that STARS members will show up in the game, I guess they put the two together and assumed that you could play as them.
And Umbrella was destroyed (well most of it) labs destroyed in 1,2 and Veronica where the main Umbrella research labs and as such Umbrellas research has been shut down, for now?
Anyways, Sherry is the only know carrier of the G-Virus (in her vile) and she gets kidnapped, Leon has to find her. Thats basically all the plot so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sayuka on 2004-04-18 11:53 ]</font>

Kizaragu
Apr 18, 2004, 01:58 PM
...Sherry's in it?
Most annoying Resident Evil character ever. Surpassing even Rebecca Chambers! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Skett
Apr 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
This is the first RE game I have ever been excited for. The move to a real 3D world should be easier to play on but boy, this game looks great. Plus its more action orianted and the enemies are more faster and intellegent. This will be great.

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 02:34 PM
Sherry IS kidnapped by whatever organization Wesker works for as said in Wesker's Report, but I haven't read anything that said Leon is looking for her. As stated by IGNCube after interviewing the game's producer, "The government has destroyed the Umbrella Corporation, which has been behind just about every plot and disgusting bio-chemical mutation in the survival horror series. Now-US agent Leon Kennedy has been dispatched to Europe to save the President's daughter from 'crazed organizations.'"

No mention of Sherry, but that's a good theory. I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up.

Kizaragu
Apr 18, 2004, 02:42 PM
Ssssssh! They'll hear you!

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 03:06 PM
((RESI 2 SPOILERS (Sorta) ))

Cube Magazine:
'At the end of Resi 2 Leon returns Sherry to her father (the president). With all known Umbrella labs blown to kingdom come, young Sherry is the only source of the G-Virus in existence. As such, it's not long before she is kidnapped by a rival company intent on extracting the virus from her. Leon is hired to go find her, his mission being a) to find the Presiden'ts Daughter, and b) to put a stop to this rival corperation's work.'

So as you can see, Sherry is the presidents daughter. Although that is the only plot so far that has been revealed (except the bit about the European village, but thats obvious)

shifter
Apr 18, 2004, 03:14 PM
dam refresh. anyway, i havent seen a trailer for RE4, but i have seen the screen shots and read a preview of it through EGM and i must say that im very interested about the departure its taking from the orignal RE games. the new stuff is some what overdue, like a smarter AI, but the others like first and third person views, and an action button to use at certian times, will be good add ins. as of now, im looking forward toward RE4, it should be even more entertaining that the RE1 remake.

Kizaragu
Apr 18, 2004, 03:26 PM
On 2004-04-18 13:06, Sayuka wrote:
Cube Magazine:
'At the end of Resi 2 Leon returns Sherry to her father (the president).
But isn't Sherry William Birkins daughter?

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 03:30 PM
On 2004-04-18 13:26, Kizaragu wrote:

On 2004-04-18 13:06, Sayuka wrote:
Cube Magazine:
'At the end of Resi 2 Leon returns Sherry to her father (the president).
But isn't Sherry William Birkins daughter?

Kiz is right. Where the heck did anyone get the idea that Sherry is the president's daughter? Her being William Birkin's daughter is an entire plot point to Resident Evil 2. It's impossible to go through Claire's game in RE2 without it being stated very clearly that William Birkin is Sherry's dad.

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 03:46 PM
Adoption? I don't know maybe it was stated in a press conference with Capcom (doubt it) or in one of Wesker's Reports or something. Thats what the magazine says.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 18, 2004, 03:51 PM
Im really looking forward to Resi 4, but like others im really dissapointed at the lack of finishing off Umbrella yourselves. And what about Wesker? Where he go to? So many things that are going to get skipped over, but hey, maybe theyll fill in the gaps with a later game.

Yeah, and as pointed out beofre, Sherry Birkin is the daughter of William Birkin. And she no longer has the G Virus Vile, as Leon threw it over the edge of the balcony or it got destroyed in another way. I think the only one who does have a copy of the G Virus now is Hunk, how retrieved the last vile of it and returned it to Umbrella.

Sayuka
Apr 18, 2004, 03:56 PM
Well aparently Sherry has the G-Virus inside her (don't ask).
And Wesker joined this rival company (who we assume is the company in RE4) as stated (I think) in Code Veronica.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 18, 2004, 07:12 PM
Sherry contracted the G Virus from her father, he implanted her with one of his parasites. Claire supposedly cured her of it before they escaped the Lab Facility at the end of Resi 2, but its not said if it was fully cleared up.

I know Wesker was working for another company, but which one is what i want to know. Will they clear this up in Resi 4? Will it even be in Resi 4? I hope so.

DeathCheese87
Apr 18, 2004, 07:32 PM
I remember reading some interview on IGN. They asked a question about Umbrella in the game, and they just replied with a not-so-subtle "Hehehe you will have to wait and see".

So yeah, look for Umbrella.

The_Pea_Guy
Apr 18, 2004, 08:15 PM
On 2004-04-18 17:12, Deathscythealpha wrote:

I know Wesker was working for another company, but which one is what i want to know. Will they clear this up in Resi 4? Will it even be in Resi 4? I hope so.

I think that the new company that Wesker is currently working with is called White Umbrella. I found this out from a RE book about a year ago, but it could just be a rumour just to excite the fans.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2004-04-18 18:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2004-04-18 18:26 ]</font>

Outrider
Apr 18, 2004, 08:42 PM
On 2004-04-18 18:15, The_Pea_Guy wrote:
I think that the new company that Wesker is currently working with is called White Umbrella. I found this out from a RE book about a year ago, but it could just be a rumour just to excite the fans.

Actually, White Umbrella was something S.D. Perry made up for her books. It's supposed to be like... the elite section of Umbrella, but it has no relevance to the games. So far, the only thing we know for sure is that Wesker works for some rival company of Umbrella.

It also doesn't mention anything about Sherry being the president's daughter in either Wesker's Report. If that's what Cube Magazine said, they're absolutely wrong. They either have no idea what they're talking about or they got their lines crossed. Probably a combination of the both.

The only remaining G-Virus is the bit that Hunk has and there may be some left in Sherry's body, but that's a very iffy possiblity. I believe it says in Wesker's Report that he somehow managed to get a sample for himself, but it doesn't say how. The problem with Wesker's Report is it seems to make even more plotholes than the actual games do.

Another potential sample of the G-Virus could be synthesized from Lisa Trevor. As stated in the second Wesker's Report, Birkin and Wesker first got the G-Virus from Lisa Trevor's body. So if her corpse wasn't completely destroyed when the Spencer Mansion went up in smoke, it may be possible to extract a sample from her. However, I think that's just the base of the G-Virus, and that means that you would need to repeat all of Birkin's work again.

Actually, in the interview with IGN the producer does say Umbrella will show up in some form in RE4, but he wouldn't go into anymore detail than that.

I really can't stress enough how much RE fans should read TWilde's Resident Evil Plot Analysis on GameFAQs. It sets everything up plain as day so there isn't any confusion, and pulls all of its info straight from the games.

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 07:11 AM
Cube mag doesn't say anything about Wesker's Report, they just say that Sherry is the Presidents daughter and that she is the only person on the planet with the G-Virus (Which I doubt) Aparently that is what they have been told directly from Capcom.
So many plotholes, so little time.

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 09:11 AM
On 2004-04-19 05:11, Sayuka wrote:
Cube mag doesn't say anything about Wesker's Report, they just say that Sherry is the Presidents daughter and that she is the only person on the planet with the G-Virus (Which I doubt) Aparently that is what they have been told directly from Capcom.
So many plotholes, so little time.

I highly doubt that Capcom said that. I've read no mention of it in any interview with the producers, directors, etc. It's also not true because it make no sense. It directly contradicts anything previously stated either by the company itself or shown in the actual games. If EGM were to say that Mario is actually a blue dinosaur, it doesn't mean I would believe them. They're still wrong.

Either you're reading it wrong, or it was a hideous typo.

Armok
Apr 19, 2004, 09:44 AM
Wow some big RE fans here. I only just got into the series.

I'm hearing alot about a 3d real time enviroment

Does this mean
1,Cut scene zombie attacks will disappear. (always good)
2, NPC chars might randomly get attacked and become extra zombies.
3, Corridors that in other RE games that u just 'avoided' to save ammo wont exist as clever enemys will leave them and search round

And on a personal point:
Is there gonna be some kind of chainsaw that would kick ass.

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 11:01 AM
On 2004-04-19 07:44, Armok wrote:
Wow some big RE fans here. I only just got into the series.

I'm hearing alot about a 3d real time enviroment

Does this mean
1,Cut scene zombie attacks will disappear. (always good)
2, NPC chars might randomly get attacked and become extra zombies.
3, Corridors that in other RE games that u just 'avoided' to save ammo wont exist as clever enemys will leave them and search round

And on a personal point:
Is there gonna be some kind of chainsaw that would kick ass.

1. No Idea
2. Unsure about this, I doubt it though, as of yet there arn't any confirmed NPCs in the game, who knows, maybe?
3. There doesn't appear to be many corridors. A village in Europe (very few buildings, rickty, mostly out doors action) and a forest.
4. There is a chainsaw but it is used against you rather than you using it. A guy with a bag on his head attacks you with it, he's sorta like Nemesis, no matter how much you shoot him, he will come back later on and attack you. Again and again.

On a better note, if you are faced with a locked wooden door, no more do you have to spend hours finding the key. Whip out a shotgun and blow the door down, easy as that.

Also, I didn't read the mag wrong, I copied it out exactly how it was printed. If it was a typo, they'll correct themselves next issue, they should have more info by then anyways. Its on sale 6th May, so thats when I'll be getting it.

Armok
Apr 19, 2004, 11:11 AM
Guy with bag on head hes in Remake in the forest bit and doesnt seem to ever die

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
Theres an image (Art, not in-game) thats the main shot for RE4 of him with a chainsaw halfway through Leon's shoulder, looks damn painful. Also in the footage I have seen the bag-man does indeed plow a chainsaw through Leon's shoulder, blood everywhere, very fun.

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 01:49 PM
Got some screenshots for you guys:

First off, this is the girl Leon is looking for. She looks a little like Sherry. Who knows? Maybe it is actually her. Still, as of right now, they said the President's daughter.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/re4trailer_033004_x8_1080689597.jpg

Here's the man with the burlap sack over his head right before slashing at Leon with a chainsaw:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/re4trailer_033004_x21_1080689593.jpg

And Armok - the creature you're thinking of is Lisa Trevor.

http://www.residentevilfan.ws/encyclopedia/full/rem_lisatrevor_lg.jpg

She's the "woman who wouldn't die." Birkin and Wesker extracted the base of the G-Virus from her body.

NiNeTeeN69
Apr 19, 2004, 02:06 PM
I cant wait for Resident Evil 4, i too have all the RE games, im currently playing RE outbreak,im glad they way they are using more 3 dimentional backgrounds now rather than the pasted pre rendered picture stills, this brings the game more to life and gives it more depth.

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 02:20 PM
Hmm....If anyone here knows how to rip a Gamecube sized DVD to a mpg file I would post it here for you guys. But I sure as hell don't know where to start. I could scan in images from the magazine I guess.

Also, I'm pretty sure Leon Says 'Jill!' In a suprised voice at somepoint during the video, I will check it later and Edit this post.

Arislan
Apr 19, 2004, 02:26 PM
If it's an actual DVD, just pop it in your computer. If it's a GC disc, not much we can do. Even if you were to rip it, it wouldn't be playable without some major work on the video file conversion-wise.

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 02:28 PM
No it is a DVD (plays in a DVD player, doesn't work in GC) It's just GC disk sized. I'll try it after I watch it in a bit (ment to be doing h/wk)

<<EDIT>>:
Leon doesn't say 'Jill', he loks down at an up-turned car in a river-canyon and says 'NO!' no idea how I got them mixed up.

Also, does anyone know how to convert files on a DVD into MPG files? Because the sound and Video files are seperate and they are run with 'PowerDVD' which I didn'y know was even on this computer till just now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sayuka on 2004-04-19 12:45 ]</font>

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 02:53 PM
Heh... it would be very interesting if Leon did yell "Jill"...

Considering he was working with Chris around the time of Code: Veronica, I'm assuming he's at least crossed paths with her once, but we have no idea if they've met.

I think a likely character to show up in RE4 is Ms. Ada Wong.

Or maybe Tofu? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

(Oh, and I forgot the most important character in my "surviving characters" list: DIJ the Mouse. The post has been properly edited.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-04-19 12:53 ]</font>

Sayuka
Apr 19, 2004, 03:00 PM
Lol, Tofu would be good.
You turn a corner of a dank and scary viallage to find a large block of brightly coloured Tofu standing there.
Hehe

Arislan
Apr 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
But is Tofu really standing?
Definitely the most interesting of any of the suvivors... And even more fun to play than Pumpkin in PS2 Castlevania.

Sayuka
Apr 20, 2004, 05:18 AM
Standing, Sitting, Laying, it doth not matter, for Tofu strike terror into the hearts of his enemies. If they had hearts. And if he was more than just a slab of Tofu.

DarthFomar
Apr 20, 2004, 06:59 AM
When I first heard that Re4 wasn't based solely on Zombies and the Umbrella Corp, it kinda turned me off...I mean what could they do with the story then, lol. But when I looked up a bunch of material on the game, I found out that it was going to be a breath of fresh air with a new gaming experience, enemies, and plots. No more prerendered backgrounds, it's all real-time environments for this spook. And the game is also a lot more interactive *push down ladders that enemies are climbing*, stuff like that. And the enemies are still crazed, http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. I'm expecting this to be one of the best games of the year. It's a must have on my list.