PDA

View Full Version : Why no server-side saving like everything else?

Vidar
Apr 23, 2001, 10:21 PM
(I'm very sorry, this seems to be double-posted on the main page)

<begin rant>
I need some help understanding Sonic Team's saving scheme, especially after having PSO freeze up on me yesterday afternoon. This is about the 4th time I've had my game freeze, bsod, or whatever since I've been playing. Apparently Jesus doesn't love me enough to let my DC disconnect after I unplug the cord, so each time this has happened I have lost items that were very important to me. Until now I would just get over it and move on, begging for money to replenish my fluid supply (I'm a Force), but this time was different. I lost my Soul Eater, which I spent 3-4 hours to obtain legitimately, a Soul Vulcan, which was my favorite gun, and 3 MAGs that I had been raising for about 50 hrs. and that had consumed over 1M meseta in items (remember, 1M is a lot for a Force). I know this pales to some of you guys' horror stories, but it still pisses me off to know that all that time and money was wasted because of a faulty save implementation. This would almost drive a man to dupe, it's so demoralizing. I mean, I don't ask for much in this game. I try not to bitch about the fact that I find NO rares, and I do my best to be a good combat/support Force. Now I have to take the time to buy/trade to get my items back, and worry about when the next freeze will happen.<end rant>

So anyway, this brings me to the real point of this post. Why did Sonic Team implement client-side saving instead of server-side saving? I've played EQ before and love the fact that every 5 mins. or so your character is automatically saved to the server and not your local machine. I think a similar scheme is in place is AC. If the server crashes or your machine locks up, no problem, you can load up your character just as he was before the crash. Was there some technical reason they had to do things the way they did in PSO? Are they going to change any of this in ver.2? I really would like to know if any of you guys can clue me in. If you made it through my whining to the end of this post, thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Vidar, lvl100 FOnewm

We met in the mist of morning

and parted deep in the night

Broken sword and shield

and tears that never fall

but run through the heart

Washed away by the darkest waters

The world.... is peaceful and still

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Vidar on 2001-04-23 20:34 ]</font>

MechDan
Apr 24, 2001, 11:26 AM
Mainly because they wanted PSO to be playable offline, for people who didn't want to pay for the online service (in Japan, online play is a pay service).

They didn't anticipate all of the problems this would cause--both in terms of lost character data and cheating.

Unfortunately, I don't expect this will essentially change with version 2. PSO v2 is more of an upgrade than an entirely new game.