PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Gi-Oh! *kicks sensors*

Skuda
Apr 19, 2004, 02:00 PM
This Anime isn't entirelly ment for the child population. It is ment for teenage people. The blasted sensors in our society disallow the "good stuff" in Shows like this ( the blood,rude comments and the main characters being slightly perverted) , and chopped out a huge chunk of the first season. They also took out alot of the violence you can know and love by reading the Manga in Shonen Jump.

Why must the butcher works of art like this?! And why havn't I sen Naruto on Tv yet? That manga rules!

(on a side note, Inu-Yasha came out quite well. No butchering! YAY!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2004-04-19 12:24 ]</font>

PhotonDrop
Apr 19, 2004, 02:24 PM
I remember one of Pegasus' goons was threatening Kaiba with a bent finger!

I truly hate how ADULT Swim was toned down!

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and other shows they have there are truly not meant for kids.

If Inuyasha rips a few people apart, do kids need to see it?

Vash shoots down some cans on a fence, kids will mimic him as soon as they can.

Spike lights a cig, kids will try to sneak a puff from mommys cigarette or daddys cigar.

Haruko smashes someone into a wall with her guitar, definatly will be copied.

fuck you Standards and Procedures!! t(>.<t

Arislan
Apr 19, 2004, 02:33 PM
Even with Adult Swim, many of the dubs (and associated subs) are very different from their original meanings... I remember Gundam Wing had a few lines between Heero and Duo at their first meeting on a boat where Duo sounded like a little pansy in the US version, while in the original langaue Duo told Heero in no uncertain terms that he either stops what he's doing or he dies.

Translators/localizers annoy me sometimes. It's a wonder I want to be one.

-Geshtar-
Apr 19, 2004, 02:46 PM
Have to remember, America is a country of love and non-violent acts. After all, we did make Loony toons, that's pretty damn violent if I say so.

KodiaX987
Apr 19, 2004, 02:54 PM
Ahhhh, America. The only place in the universe where you can turn five hotshot pilots into a bunch of fucking teletubbies.

Soon enough, they will have hentai toned down for kids. I expect it no later than year 2006.

Robo47
Apr 19, 2004, 03:02 PM
On 2004-04-19 12:54, KodiaX987 wrote:
Ahhhh, America. The only place in the universe where you can turn five hotshot pilots into a bunch of fucking teletubbies.

Soon enough, they will have hentai toned down for kids. I expect it no later than year 2006.

Truer words were never spoken...

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 03:02 PM
On 2004-04-19 12:33, Arislan wrote:
Even with Adult Swim, many of the dubs (and associated subs) are very different from their original meanings... I remember Gundam Wing had a few lines between Heero and Duo at their first meeting on a boat where Duo sounded like a little pansy in the US version, while in the original langaue Duo told Heero in no uncertain terms that he either stops what he's doing or he dies.

Translators/localizers annoy me sometimes. It's a wonder I want to be one.

I'll bet the script was different for the uncut version. I thought it was great for them to have an uncut version, but looking back on it... it was pretty strange.

But anyway, yeah. Cartoon Network did show an uncut version (which was probably cut to some extent, but it definitely had darker dialogue and more explicit violence).

And hey, nobody can complain about any of these recent censorships unless they watched Dragonball Z. EARLY Dragonball Z.

navci
Apr 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
On 2004-04-19 12:54, KodiaX987 wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I simply don't understand the mentality of re-writing the story. Say.. Card Captor Sakura for example, was butchored pretty bad because they wanted to write Syaoran (the boy) as the main character and Sakura being well... minor-ish. The thing is, nothing makes sense once that rewritten story was showing.

... I just ya, don't understand people.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 19, 2004, 03:13 PM
On 2004-04-19 13:02, Outrider wrote:

I'll bet the script was different for the uncut version. I thought it was great for them to have an uncut version, but looking back on it... it was pretty strange.

But anyway, yeah. Cartoon Network did show an uncut version (which was probably cut to some extent, but it definitely had darker dialogue and more explicit violence).

If its Gundam Wing, they did put alot of the more harsher words back into it with the Uncut version (people say 'I will kill you' now instead of 'I will destroy you') and alot more of the violence (Heeros escape from the OZ hospital is alot more bloody. ALOT more).

There were some scenes still left cut from the uncut one though. They left out a scene where the pilots were enjoying a victory bottle of champagne, and they also left out a scene where Duo walks in on the scientists, how do i say it, 'going at it'.

Ness
Apr 19, 2004, 03:30 PM
Iagree that censorship here in the states sometimes goes too far, but it is a necessary evil. They way I look at it is that if you want to see anime in it's true glory then you can purcahse the uncensored DVD's. I do agree, however, that they should noe censor Adult Swim.

Sayara
Apr 19, 2004, 03:49 PM
Its Annoying how they do things sometimes with the censoring. Like what everyone said as of so far, They did massacure alot of the Anime they show on CN, Trigun and CardCaptor Sakura being two of the worst i've noticed.

I'm sure i remember there was a Website that did alot of Anime Redo's like this! And then one totally dedicated to CCS >>;

________
MFLB VAPORIZER (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Outrider
Apr 19, 2004, 06:03 PM
On 2004-04-19 13:13, Deathscythealpha wrote:
(Heeros escape from the OZ hospital is alot more bloody. ALOT more).

That was the specific example I was thinking of.

And I keep hearing people talking about how much Cowboy Bebop has been censored for Adult Swim, "especially the last few episodes."

The only DVD I have is the one with the last few episodes, and I have no idea what anybody is talking about. It looks the same as on Cartoon Network to me.

Sayara
Apr 19, 2004, 07:34 PM
I did hear they did Ban a couple episodes of Cowboy Bebop a while back, Too related to 9/11 i guess.. I wonder if they air them now...

________
History of scuderia ferrari specifications (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/History_of_Scuderia_Ferrari)

Deathscythealpha
Apr 19, 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally they didnt show the Teddy Bomber episode of CB because it envolved a guy blowing up tall buildings. Understandable i guess. In Japan they didnt air the final episode cause of all the violence and death in it. They have however overturned both those examples and shown them in full on TV.

Only good thing about being in the UK: Cowboy Bebop was shown complete and Unedited. To bad thats the only new thing weve seen of late.

Bradicus
Apr 19, 2004, 09:11 PM
After all, we did make Loony toons, that's pretty damn violent if I say so.

Actually, many episondes of Loony Toons were banned about 15-20 years ago. Strangely, it was for the cross-dressing antics of everyone's favourite bunny.

Luckily, the episodes were later re-added into the line up.

_Ted_
Apr 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
On 2004-04-19 13:49, Tingle wrote:
Its Annoying how they do things sometimes with the censoring. Like what everyone said as of so far, They did massacure alot of the Anime they show on CN, Trigun and CardCaptor Sakura being two of the worst i've noticed.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly did they do to Trigun?

KodiaX987
Apr 19, 2004, 10:48 PM
For one thing, they totally screwed up the voice acting. Again!

EJ
Apr 19, 2004, 11:11 PM
The US mostly always screw up in many anime. Like what navi said card captor is one where the first US episode was like the 35 in the original and the last episode of the season was the first. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif And there's yugioh and yugioh duel monster. Yugioh the first season deals with yugioh and the puzzle while the other deals with the card game but nontheless much is cut and the US can't always think that anime is only for young kids because if they do than they"ll will be screwing up all the good anime out. ^_^ just my thought on it

Mixfortune
Apr 20, 2004, 03:42 AM
On 2004-04-19 12:00, Scott_Kuda wrote:

Why must the butcher works of art like this?! And why havn't I sen Naruto on Tv yet? That manga rules!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2004-04-19 12:24 ]</font>

Naruto is pretty long. The manga is not even close to being finished yet. Granted, there are currently 79 episodes that have aired in Japan, but for the purposes of not wanting to catch up to the anime with big pauses between DVDs (and perhaps other reasons), the anime will most likely not be licensed outside of Japan for quite a while. But even the more recent Naruto episodes are slightly censored compared to the manga.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2004, 01:33 PM
On 2004-04-19 18:52, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Originally they didnt show the Teddy Bomber episode of CB because it envolved a guy blowing up tall buildings. Understandable i guess. In Japan they didnt air the final episode cause of all the violence and death in it. They have however overturned both those examples and shown them in full on TV.

That's right. I had heard about the Teddy Bomber episode. But I mean, after the initial run-through, they put it back in. Problem solved.

M_BlackHawk
Apr 20, 2004, 01:49 PM
On 2004-04-20 01:42, Mixfortune wrote:

On 2004-04-19 12:00, Scott_Kuda wrote:

Naruto is pretty long. The manga is not even close to being finished yet. Granted, there are currently 79 episodes that have aired in Japan, but for the purposes of not wanting to catch up to the anime with big pauses between DVDs (and perhaps other reasons), the anime will most likely not be licensed outside of Japan for quite a while. But even the more recent Naruto episodes are slightly censored compared to the manga.

OH come on. As far as being long, Naruto is shorter than Rurouni Kenshin (96 Episodes), and it ran on CN not long ago on Toonami.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a network on DirecTV, Cable, and Dish Network that shows all unedited anime, not just from ADV either, as ADV's kinda gone downhill from the days of Nadesico and Evangelion.

Anyway, I watched DBZ from the first season on, and once FUNimation took over completely, the sagas got longer and unedited versions started releasing straight to video. I bought a lot of the unedited versions, and wasn't really disappointed, except for the pseudo-swearing.

later

M_BlackHawk

Evil_Althena8
Apr 20, 2004, 02:11 PM
I used to be a hardcore Sailor Moon fan, I watched most of all the seasons. When I learned that they weren't releasing the final season Sailor Moon:Stars, i was pretty pissed. I think it is because it features men who transform into women, but still...

Orange_kid
Apr 20, 2004, 02:26 PM
Hmm... I seem to remember Mr. Ted Turner was tossing about an idea of an all-anime channel... it was uncut and the like. I figure if he did create such a channel, they would just throw all of the Cartoon Network anime onto it.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2004, 03:41 PM
On 2004-04-20 11:49, M_BlackHawk wrote:
Anyway, I watched DBZ from the first season on, and once FUNimation took over completely, the sagas got longer and unedited versions started releasing straight to video. I bought a lot of the unedited versions, and wasn't really disappointed, except for the pseudo-swearing.

later

M_BlackHawk

So I'm sure you remember the early days of DBZ? Some of the censoring was pretty ridiculous.

To be fair, I'm not bothered by most US dubs. Nowadays they rarely have any significant editing and the voice actors range from decent to excellent.

Mixfortune
Apr 20, 2004, 03:53 PM
On 2004-04-20 11:49, M_BlackHawk wrote:

OH come on. As far as being long, Naruto is shorter than Rurouni Kenshin (96 Episodes), and it ran on CN not long ago on Toonami.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a network on DirecTV, Cable, and Dish Network that shows all unedited anime, not just from ADV either, as ADV's kinda gone downhill from the days of Nadesico and Evangelion.

later

M_BlackHawk

Oh, I'm not saying they won't show Naruto because it's long. Look at DBZ. That series is very long. What I'm saying is that usually anime are not licensed and dubbed outside of Japan and aired in places like Cartoon Network while it is still unfinished. Naruto itself has no determined length, since, as I stated, even the manga itself is not finished. If the manga were to stop right at this moment, the episode total in the anime would be well over that of Kenshin. Heck, it might end up being longer than DBZ itself, but that's not the point.

Naturally, dubs are generally seen as being not as good as the original, but I have seen a fair share of good quality dubs. I also have not seen Cowboy Bebop or Trigun on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, but I have the DVDs. Are they dubs different between the dubs on television and the dubs on the DVDs?

WraithVerge
Apr 21, 2004, 12:30 AM
Censorship is a joke, IMO. When it comes down to it, all censorship does it delay the inevitable. While I don't approve of extreme cases of cursing or nudity, I certainly don't understand why something like a random "Damnit!" would have to be edited out from a show. School was where I learned words like vagina and fuck, not from a TV show.

In US history, take a look at Prohibition. What happened? Not what the government expected. Ended up getting that amendment abolished.

Anything anime shown at midnight through the early morning hours should be uncut and unedited. Kids from 3 to 13 most likely won't be up that late. Kids that are age 14 - 17 to me won't be extremely tramatized by curses and nudity. Some people may have mental issues and develop strange fetishes at early ages, but not every child turns out to be mentally unstable.

Tell me, have any of you people watched an unedited anime then walked out to a public place and started shooting people? If you're mature enough to view material such as this, then power to ya.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-04-20 22:31 ]</font>

M_BlackHawk
Apr 21, 2004, 12:44 PM
On 2004-04-20 13:53, Mixfortune wrote:
Naturally, dubs are generally seen as being not as good as the original, but I have seen a fair share of good quality dubs. I also have not seen Cowboy Bebop or Trigun on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, but I have the DVDs. Are they dubs different between the dubs on television and the dubs on the DVDs?

I've seen my fair share of dubs, too. I'm not entirely disappointed in the quality of FUNimation's dub of DBZ and GT, but the pseudo-swearing, even in the uncut versions, does kinda get to me.

ADV did pretty well in the early years, with shows such as Blue Seed, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Mamono Hunter Yohko, but I've become quite disappointed in their work lately, especially with Burn Up Excess.

One of the best dubs I've seen, though, comes from Software Sculptors/Central Park Media. That's their dub of all 3 seasons of Slayers. Lisa Ortiz played a much better Lina Inverse than Cynthia Martinez who played Lina in ADV's dub of the movies and OVA's.

All in all, there have been some good and some extremely bad dubs released. Need I remind you of Media Blasters (Mediocre Bastards) dubs of both Magic Knight Rayearth and Rurouni Kenshin? Those were absolutely horrible.

later

M_BlackHawk