PDA

View Full Version : anybody like RPGs?

Blade_270
Apr 20, 2004, 04:53 PM
I have RPG aker and it's great. does anyone else have it? (for computer)

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 20, 2004, 04:57 PM
I've tinkered with it, but that's about as far as it's gone.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 20, 2004, 05:04 PM
RPG Maker blows in my opinion. Nothing beats hard-coding the whole damn thing by yourself. No pansy 'we'll do the work' stuff. As a program it's unstable and not very good.

Mustashi2278
Apr 20, 2004, 05:44 PM
I use RPG maker and making a game. When its finished, i could put a post so u guys could download it but... its in french, quebec french, u guys wouldn't undersant anything and the humor in my game ( its more of RPG spoof full of dumb jokes) would be WAAAAY to weird, unless your from Quebec.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2004, 05:53 PM
I made a bunch of sprites for RPGMaker... but I couldn't figure the darn thing out.

To be fair, my experience with programming involves ZZT and Megazeux. And nothing all that fancy on either of them. (Although I did have a fairly good RPG engine working on MZX.)

Allos
Apr 20, 2004, 06:09 PM
On 2004-04-20 15:04, SpikeOtacon wrote:
RPG Maker blows in my opinion. Nothing beats hard-coding the whole damn thing by yourself. No pansy 'we'll do the work' stuff. As a program it's unstable and not very good.

I've never tried it because I lack the patience but I've heard the exact same thing from many sources.

Mixfortune
Apr 20, 2004, 06:16 PM
The problem with RPG Maker is that you have to work within the confines of the system, unless you add some extra code... in which case you would be better off just hard coding an RPG anyways.

Granted, RPG maker can be nice for some games to share with friends and family or whatever, but there are often better options.

Elvendar
Apr 20, 2004, 06:24 PM
RPG maker sucks.

Learn to use your microsoft visual basic.

Kent
Apr 20, 2004, 07:20 PM
It'd be a lot nicer if you could use .MP3 music in it, too...

Nai_Calus
Apr 20, 2004, 10:18 PM
On 2004-04-20 16:24, Elvendar wrote:
RPG maker sucks.

Learn to use your microsoft visual basic.

*spits*

NiNeTeeN69
Apr 21, 2004, 02:20 AM
i thought this topic was does any body like RPG's, not does anybody like RPG maker, yes i like RPG's but iv never played RPG maker and dont plan to,i would end up spending way too much time making a game that i know exactly what will happen then it wont be so much fun to play.

Skett
Apr 21, 2004, 07:24 AM
I didn't even know that RPG Maker was for the PC. Now that I do though, I am going to buy it.

Sharkyland
Apr 21, 2004, 10:23 AM
Too aggrivated to make my own pixelated characters...

Mixfortune
Apr 21, 2004, 11:22 AM
On 2004-04-21 00:20, NiNeTeeN69 wrote:
i thought this topic was does any body like RPG's, not does anybody like RPG maker

Yes but the first post seems to suggest discussion about RPG Maker... and more likely than not, those who have an opinion on RPG Maker have a good chance of being into RPGs as well.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 21, 2004, 11:34 AM
On 2004-04-20 15:04, SpikeOtacon wrote:

On the other hand, it works well for people who want to tell a story in the format of an RPG and have a decided lack of knowledge in C++ or Visual Basic. After all, what would an intelligent programmer do, if he wanted to make an RPG? They'd make an engine, then create some tools to build the game data that his engine reads, then work with that. RPG Maker only takes out that first step of programming an engine and game data tools.

Only an inexperienced programmer would make an engine that couldn't be re-used.

That's not to say that making your own engine isn't the most ideal circumstance; but for some people, it just isn't an option.

Evil_Althena8
Apr 21, 2004, 01:57 PM
I used to mess around with RPG maker alot. It got kinda old though, and too little options.