PDA

View Full Version : argh, I need naming help

Sord
Apr 20, 2004, 09:42 PM
and character thread won't help with this either.

Okay, i need to know thw word "silence" in another [real] language other than French, German, Spanish, and Russian, and obviously it must be PSOW compatible.

Also, I need help with a girl's name, I can't think of this either.

Actually... just post any more unique girl and boy names you can come up with, I would appreciate it. Keep in mind I still want to know "silence" in another language. Also, I know some languages it varries depending on the sense/meaning, this is the meaning of staying quiet.

Would appreciat help,
Sord

White_Knight
Apr 20, 2004, 09:45 PM
well silence in jap is sairensu at least one way anyhow hope it helps

Sayara
Apr 20, 2004, 09:46 PM
And in Arabic its "Bes" (Horrible Romanizations) Which sounds like BETH if anything

________
VAPORIZER GUIDE (http://howtomakeavaporizer.info/)

EJ
Apr 20, 2004, 09:47 PM
Well i know a girl name Genesis which I think is a unique name

_Ted_
Apr 20, 2004, 10:19 PM
I think Silence in german is Ruhe...maybe...where's blitz when you need him!?

WraithVerge
Apr 20, 2004, 10:32 PM
"Silence"

Latin - Confuto

Serbian - Zaborav

--------------

Girl's name:

Amerandi (Ah - mer - ahn - dee)

Tayli (Tay - lee)

Niandra (Knee - ahn - druh)

Gena (Jen - ah)

Nai_Calus
Apr 20, 2004, 10:35 PM
Actually, if I recall correctly, the Japanese word for silence is 'chinmoku'.

Scejntjynahl
Apr 21, 2004, 09:45 AM
In Dutch I believe its "stilte".

Sharkyland
Apr 21, 2004, 10:12 AM
Using dictionary.com, I find:

Silence
(kimya, unyamavu) Swahili
(veikimine, vaikus, unarus) Estonia

Hmm, the other links are broken... oh well

Good girl's name, hmm...
I like the name Oceana...

Hikara
Apr 21, 2004, 11:49 AM
How's about... Myst? (yeah, I know...)

Or.... Quinn? No, wait. That's one of mine...

RX-79! Crap. that's an android...

Alea? I give...

Skuda
Apr 21, 2004, 11:59 AM
er. how about Shizuka? that in japanese means quiet if I'm not mistaken. it's a common girls name.

for a boys name, how bout Zenith. That's pretty cool

for girls, er... Rina? don't take that one though. I'm using it in my novel.

EndlessNight
Apr 21, 2004, 12:09 PM
As for the silence one, you have information. However, for the female one. Can you describe the character? Tell us what she's like, who she is. Personality. You can't make a name, then build a character around the name. You make a character, and it recieves a name.

Sord
Apr 21, 2004, 01:00 PM
On 2004-04-21 10:09, EndlessNight wrote:
As for the silence one, you have information. However, for the female one. Can you describe the character? Tell us what she's like, who she is. Personality. You can't make a name, then build a character around the name. You make a character, and it recieves a name.

I'm, uh, not completely sure about personalities yet. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I just need names because I' tired of all the old ones (tom, david, ect.) and as in any story that takes place on a ship filled with thousands of people, a main character is bound to meet several people of various genders and classes and whatnot. I Appreciate everyone's help, I'm making a table in Word to keep track of them. So if you have any more names, I would appreciate them, though I have enough for "silence," I just need to pick one out of the few I like.

Suggestion: Maybe we should have a name sticky, after all, names can be easier to list then entire characters, and sometimes a name might click with you, but the character description is diffrent. Sure you could change it, but then the creator of the character might bug you a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2004-04-21 11:02 ]</font>

LadyRedComet
Apr 21, 2004, 02:45 PM
How about Cihuapillahtocatzintli? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Hikara
Apr 21, 2004, 03:04 PM
OH NO! Not another one of those names! I had a hard enough time trying to shrink them to fit in the Hero Name field in RM2K3! RUN SORD! DON'T TAKE THAT ONE!

ladyjaderiver
Apr 21, 2004, 03:10 PM
Lady Red's means "queen" by the way.

Sord
Apr 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
On 2004-04-21 12:45, LadyRedComet wrote:
How about Cihuapillahtocatzintli? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Cihuli maybe? see-who-lee I might use that. Odd how a joke can actually help :/

Gnarled_rose
Apr 22, 2004, 07:42 AM
On 2004-04-21 09:49, Hikara wrote:
How's about... Myst? (yeah, I know...)

Or.... Quinn? No, wait. That's one of mine...

RX-79! Crap. that's an android...

Alea? I give...

Sit down now, buddy, just sit down.*Ruffles Hikara's hair*
How unique do you want? 'Cause as far as actual names I've heard, they're pretty rare depending on where you go....
For girls, I offer Alina, Lillian, Kerrigan, and Ambre(sounds like the petrified sap). For names churned up on the top of my brain, I guess....Lilandra, Erika, Mulits(Don't ask), and maybe an alternate spelling of Sereh(Sarah).
And guys....hmm....some more common names work surprisingly well in situations, like Brian, Nick, Stephen, so on....I suppose, though, if you're looking for less-common names, I could scrounge up a few...like, say, Gordon, Garth, something nick-namey like Mayhem, Terror(shortened to Ter works well.) The most extreme on my list (and rarest of all) are either Lamoni or Kith, both found in legal, published literature.
*Realizes Chaos Phoenix and Hikara are going to slap him, puts on horse blinders.* I'm INVINCIBLE!!

LadyRedComet
Apr 22, 2004, 02:37 PM
On 2004-04-21 14:41, Sord wrote:

Cihuli maybe? see-who-lee I might use that. Odd how a joke can actually help :/

Glad I could be of some use. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

WraithVerge
Apr 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
that name reminds me of Lilu (Leeloo?) from the Fifth Element.