PDA

View Full Version : Too many ideas for story...

Sharkyland
Apr 22, 2004, 04:05 AM
Argh argh argh argh argh...

I come up with so many good ideas for comics for Phantasy Star Episode I, II, and III as well as other comics, but I can't seem to never finish them. Or when I'm drawing it, I keep thinking of improved or better ideas for the past few pages. This is really pissing me off so badly.

Someone give me a cure. ;_; I'm going to go crazy if this continues.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 22, 2004, 05:15 AM
Ok, so the problem is too many good ideas, not enough time? Simple. Focus on one idea. Just one. Screw the rest. Too many ideas at once can lead to a downfall in quality of the others. Work that one idea until you get the absolute best out of it, then finally use it. Then you can move on to the next in a sort of rinse/repeat cycle.

Outrider
Apr 22, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sharky, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have dozens of comics and stories planned out - some of them in writing, some of them in sketches, some of them just sitting around in my head - and I never seem to even start them.

It really stinks.

But I think Spike is right... just try and handle them one at a time. That's something I keep telling myself to do, but can never manage to do it.

Nai_Calus
Apr 22, 2004, 01:31 PM
I can think of at least 5 distinct possibilities for merely the backstory of someone in my fic who is merely a major character, and not even the main character. The hell with endings. (Got about 20 of those.)

See, this is why I keep things internalized. I'll put something one way, and then later decide that this or that plot point or path would be better/more interesting/whatever. XP

WraithVerge
Apr 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Try writing up a quick rough draft; a foundation to begin building. Keep it simple and straight forward, no details and focusing on one idea. Then go back and add onto (or re-write) that rough draft: details and descriptions, ideas that flow with the story/comic, fix typos and grammar, etc. That way you'll eliminate ideas that end up NOT being good for the particular story/comic you are writing now, but you can save those ideas for later http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-04-22 22:11 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Apr 23, 2004, 02:18 AM
rough draft... heh, done those... had around 30+ versions once of this one storyline... it's just that I brainstorm too vividly and it just goes out of control

WraithVerge
Apr 25, 2004, 12:58 AM
hmmm.... I dunno then. I normally get flooded with ideas myself, but once I set a clear path down I add what I want MOST in, then try to work other ideas in at a later time.

navci
Apr 25, 2004, 02:52 AM
I have too many ideas.
But there is no way I can write them out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Arislan
Apr 25, 2004, 04:26 AM
Same thing happens to me concering decks on Ep3.. I've got about 20 or so ideas waiting in the wings, but haven't done anything about them..

As for fanfics, I've been running into writers block... I know precisely how I want things to go, I just have no idea how I'm going to get my characters to that point that I have planned out... It's like there's this huge story gap that the poor guys just can't jump.

Sord
Apr 25, 2004, 04:47 AM
if you can't pick one and one only to focus on, write them all down on slips of paper (the same size.) Of course you'll want to use short phrases. Any how, put them in something and shake it up and draw an idea. What ever it is, you will focus on that one until it's finished. You could also have someone else draw if you don't trust yourself somehow. Just a suggestion of course.

Outrider
Apr 25, 2004, 02:01 PM
On 2004-04-25 02:26, Arislan wrote:
As for fanfics, I've been running into writers block... I know precisely how I want things to go, I just have no idea how I'm going to get my characters to that point that I have planned out... It's like there's this huge story gap that the poor guys just can't jump.

Use a plothole! Those things rock.

Sharkyland
Apr 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
On 2004-04-25 02:26, Arislan wrote:

I hate those but they are usually solved when I begin doing it though it takes me a while to figure these things out and I usually have to brainstorm a lot.

Mixfortune
Apr 26, 2004, 05:07 PM
This is the sort of thing that is making my 3 book, 35 chapter each fic series into a 6 book, 45+ chapter each fic series. I just keep writing until I hit a block, then take a month or so to break through it. I have to keep things in check with as few inconsistencies in descriptions as I can think of.

Lukcily for me, as far as comics go, someone else I know in real life will be working with me in doing the art http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I know how I want it to be, and how it ends, and how it connects. The only thing stopping me is putting it in a realistic timeline and consistent actions and descriptions. That and I always forget which key plot points I have already put in previous chapters, and what I still need to discuss in order to progress in the plot.

Sharkyland
Apr 28, 2004, 12:49 AM
Damnit, I got another idea in my head.