PDA

View Full Version : Come Battle, people!

Liquid_Bacon
Apr 26, 2004, 01:32 PM
As my fellow PSOXers know, the Battle community on Xbox is virtually nonexistant. Sure, there are a bunch of Battle games, but every time you go into one, you find out that it's just a bunch of people screwing around, killing eachother in the Forest.

It's time to take it to the next level, people! Real Battle, or "Quest" Battle as most Xbox players seem to like calling it, is really something cool. It's a contest of skill, not a contest of who has the most Al Rappies and hacked items. If you consider yourself skilled and you're up for something new, try out a real Battle at the Guild Counter!

I realize that there is a lot of confusion surrounding Battle mode on Xbox, and so I'll try here to dispell a couple of the misconceptions that are floating around.

1) See that "W:0 D:0" above your head? This is your Battle mode record. The "W" stands for "Wins", (Duh) and the "D" stands for "Disconnects". That's right, not "Defeats" or "Deaths." Yes, you heard me - people in the lobby can't tell if you've lost. My HUmar has 212 wins and 8 losses, but all you see in the lobby is "W:212 D:0" because I've never wimped out and quit during a battle. Handy, huh?

2) Battle mode is hard at first. Right now, there's only one person on the Xbox version that can beat me. But do you think I started off like that? Of course not! It took a lot of losing to people who were much better than me to make me that good. A LOT of losing. That's the best way to learn your way around Battle mode, by the way - just do it lots. Try to always play against people who are better than you and pick up on their little tricks and techniques. You see, real Battle is really just a contest of who knows more than the other person. Sure, you have to be able to execute on that knowledge, and getting good at this takes time, but Battle mode really boils down to a battle of wits. Real Battle isn't "cheap." It isn't "gay." Remember, everything that your opponent does to you, you can do back. No excuses. No cheating. No hacks. Just a ten-minute contest of skill, and a cool part of PSO that most players are missing out on.

I wrote a little Battle guide a while ago for a clan I was part of and I'm hoping that now it will help even more people. Here is the URL for the guide:

http://members.shaw.ca/chris_dekker/battle.html

Hopefully, armed with this knowledge, you can make a solid start to your Battle career. Don't get discouraged if you lose - it's part of the learning process. Good luck! I'll see you out there!

EDIT: I added some stuff to the guide and I would like to bump this because I really beleive that it's something more players should see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid_Bacon on 2004-05-20 16:09 ]</font>

Liquid_Bacon
May 20, 2004, 06:10 PM
*Kick*

geewj
May 21, 2004, 07:18 AM
Like I said before, for some reason people here at PSOW don't care much for the battle mode. Back when I used to hold a weekly battle mode event maybe 2 people would show up. I wasn't able to get enough people around for an offical PSOW tournament.

I know that the Battle comunity was decently sized on GC PSO, or at least it was when I stopped playing it was. If you really want to battle you might try that.

Liquid_Bacon
May 21, 2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah, the Battle community wasn't bad on GameCube. I used to play on GC before my GameCube broke down. Unfortunately, of the 5 consoles that I've played PSO on, the Xbox has to have the most little kids/cheaters/ignorant people, and so there isn't a lot of Battle Mode, which is a shame.

haruna
May 23, 2004, 01:35 AM
Battle makes my poor ole box freeze. I need a new DVD lens! X_X

I've got similar gripes about the size of the c-mode community.

Kuea
May 23, 2004, 05:21 AM
wow

a month bump
well anyway i still like battle mode and would always participate if online