PDA

View Full Version : Veterans

Rapture
Apr 28, 2004, 11:04 AM
What would you all take into consideration for someone to be a PSO veteran. E.g. played since V1.
I bet no one answers this lol (as in virtually every topic i have ever made).

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 11:06 AM
It depends on skill for me, not time played.

I am sure that goes for many others too.

Nai_Calus
Apr 28, 2004, 11:09 AM
Skill.

I've met so many incompetent 'DC vets' it's not even funny.

I don't care if you started playing last week, if you've managed to become good and know how to play, congratulations. You're already a vet, as far as I'm concerned.

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 11:24 AM
you two are mistaken, vets are people who have experience, not skill. A person good at the game who "started last week" can in no way be a vet.

Personally, I do not consider anyone who does not have at least a Lv 150 char a vet, you can have 12 Lv 100 chars, I don't care.

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 11:31 AM
On 2004-04-28 09:24, Kef wrote:
you two are mistaken, vets are people who have experience, not skill. A person good at the game who "started last week" can in no way be a vet.

Personally, I do not consider anyone who does not have at least a Lv 150 char a vet, you can have 12 Lv 100 chars, I don't care.

But experiance doesn't matter as much as skill though.

But either a 115 or over a year would be a Vet for me then. By 115, you have a good feel of the game, and can get a idea of your ID.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2004-04-28 09:34 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Apr 28, 2004, 11:33 AM
Nonsense, Zero's L141 and I still don't know REDRIA's drops worth crap. Don't care much, either, since he never finds rares. >_>; No point in looking or knowing. Besides, if it DOES drop, it's gonna be a Braveman.

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 11:37 AM
On 2004-04-28 09:31, Ketchup345 wrote:
But either a 115 or over a year would be a Vet for me then. By 115, you have a good feel of the game, and can get a good feel for your ID.
Simply put : no.

You have to do a whole lot number of runs in each area to know your ID, and how to play your character in each area. Knowing the drops is knowledge, neither skill nor experience.

And experience and skill go together most of the time, don't they ?

And online players need at leat one Bu-EI, of course.

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
On 2004-04-28 09:37, Kef wrote:

On 2004-04-28 09:31, Ketchup345 wrote:
But either a 115 or over a year would be a Vet for me then. By 115, you have a good feel of the game, and can get a good feel for your ID.
Simply put : no.

You have to do a whole lot number of runs in each area to know your ID, and how to play your character in each area. Knowing the drops is knowledge, neither skill nor experience.

And experience and skill go together most of the time, don't they ?

And online players need at leat one Bu-EI, of course.

What's with 150 thats much different than 115?

Knowledge can be used in skill and in some cases how much of a veteran you are. Also, not all 150s can really be considered Vets, since they can either Recobox or do the Monest trick (or the AR codes).

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=veteran):
A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
A person who has served in the armed forces: ?Privilege, a token income... were allowed for veterans of both world wars? (Mavis Gallant).
An old soldier who has seen long service.

At level 115, you have spent a lot of time learning this game (especially if you are doing it offline with no help from anyone), and know almost everything you need to about the general game.

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 11:52 AM
Well you'll see by yourself the HUGE difference there is between 115 and 150 when you get there.
Actually, even levels gained after Lv150 teach you a lot.

And I was talking legit people, as I always do >_>

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 11:59 AM
On 2004-04-28 09:52, Kef wrote:
Well you'll see by yourself the HUGE difference there is between 115 and 150 when you get there.
Actually, even levels gained after Lv150 teach you a lot.

And I was talking legit people, as I always do >_>

My 7 levels haven't taught me much (except online play, but I could have learned that other ways/on different characters). I don't learn much per level, except for C-Mode.

Also, play time is major factor (take out lobby chatting time though).

New vet for me must include:
A few hundred hours+ (not including lobby chatting)
At least one Bu-Ei
One of each character type in Ultimate helps, but isn't necessary

Special areas not included.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2004-04-28 14:09 ]</font>

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 12:25 PM
well that's how you see things for now, maybe it will change when you reach higher levels, maybe not. But that's not how I see things.

I require:
-1 Lv 150+
-1 Bu-EI (for online players)
-1 char of each class (as in RA/HU/FO) Lv 100+
-legit
-basic knowledge of Lv 150 char's ID drops and stuff.

I feel a lot more experienced in the way of the RAmarl now that Terra is 200 than how I felt about it when she was 150ish, a lot more.

Dragon_Ash
Apr 28, 2004, 01:15 PM
I guess leveling can also count for experienced players... for me, veterans are more than high level characters... they have to be able to be competent when it comes to using the class they chose...

around a year or so ago i wasn't very experinced with my fonewearl and i'd mostly die a lot and panicked when i used the wrong tech element against the wrong enemy.

but i think i'm a veteran in some way when i look back at some of the hardships i had to go through with her, rather than struggle with stages, i can do things very easily, i know all the enemies tech weaknesses and i can also empty rooms swarming with some of the toughest enemies in a matter of seconds...

i'm almost level 144 with her... and though gaining a level, i don't quite feel like i'm more of an experienced player as such

Rainbowlemon
Apr 28, 2004, 03:02 PM
I have a level 138 character, a level 108 and level 105, amongst a few in 80s and 90s. I have lots of experience, as I also had a level 130 char. and a level 115 char. on the cube, which is before I moved to my box. I am offline, but have played challenge mode with my friend.

I consider myself a skilled player, yet am not a vet. according to your specifications. Therefore, I agree with Ketchup more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 03:16 PM
On 2004-04-28 13:02, Antimony wrote:
I consider myself a skilled player, yet am not a vet. according to your specifications. Therefore, I agree with Ketchup more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
That is my point exactly. People want to be considered vets, and therefore lower the standards, which is stupid on a game so vast in so many domains as PSO.

I can tell you I take no pride in being regarded as a vet (I assume I am).
And I can also tell you that you learn something as long as you play, with this game.

I do not think my standards are exaggerated, but I cannot expect everyone to meet them.
After all it would be stupid to consider everyone vets, wouldn't it ?

With this said, I insist that I am not doubting anybody's skill at the game.

SolRiver
Apr 28, 2004, 03:28 PM
well, I believe there can have vet in each area such as..

-mag farmer
-c mode freaks
-ba mode punks
-lv machines
-rare hunters
-map worms
..more

You dont need to be good at all areas =/ but of course, u got to have at least beyound normal player's knowledge. Such as for mag farmer, they should at least know all the mag name and their class. just examples...

Hrith
Apr 28, 2004, 03:32 PM
That is a good point SolRiver, but what is a map worm ? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

SolRiver
Apr 28, 2004, 03:40 PM
someone who like to look at map... alot alot... and know where each area have what monsters spawning... and maybe what orders...

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 03:47 PM
There probably is more than one type of veteran, but a PSO vertan doesn't necessarily mean everything that Kef said:

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=veteran):
A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
A person who has served in the armed forces: ?Privilege, a token income... were allowed for veterans of both world wars? (Mavis Gallant).
An old soldier who has seen long service.
That varies from person to person on opinion. There is no general thing that makes you a vet. It depends on who you are talking to.

A 150+ can be Recoboxed or TTfed up (without doing anything, just relying on someone else), and the player not know a thing. They could play C-Mode with very good teams and get good maps and be lucky. 100+ is easy to get (2 methods above). Those tricks are considered legit to some. The drop charts are not hard to memorize and get to know.

It all depends on who you talk to. Each person has their own thing of veterancy. Not everyone will meet everyone's criteria. There are few who meet everyone's criteria. Kef thinks one way, I think a different way. Solriver thinks that there should be more specific types of vets in this game, which is a good idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2004-04-28 14:15 ]</font>

Liquid_Bacon
Apr 28, 2004, 04:09 PM
If you want to stick with the literal definition, then a veteran is somebody who has played for a very long time. Remember, the term "war veteran" includes everybody who went to war - and they weren't all necessarily 'war all-stars', so to speak. It's the time spent there that makes them veterans, no their skill.

This being said, I don't think being a PSO veteran really means anything. Neither does having a high level character. As was mentioned before, these are nice things, but the most important thing in PSO is skill.

<Bacon's Obligatory Pro-Legit Spin>The best way to become skilled at PSO is to try and experience its various game modes (Normal, Challenge and Battle), and to play legit, using only the items you find and leveling up without the various leveling tricks.</Bacon>

LoreSeeker
Apr 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
What an interesting topic! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I don't know if I'd consider myself a veteran or not. On one hand, I generally know a lot more about items, playing the game, and just overall stuff than a lot of players. On the other hand, there are some people who know a LOT more than me, who have played a LOT longer than me, and who are at a LOT higher of a level than me.

I know my way around many of the maps, but not all of them. I don't know much about mags at all, except that I'm way too lazy to raise one of my own. I have no doubt that some of my items are dupes, but whatever, I traded for them with my items. I know a good deal about all of the special little things about different classes, but I don't have everything memorized.

My RAmar is level 166 at the moment, so I meet your (Kef's) level requirement, but there's no way that I could do C-Mode to get a Bu-EI, simply because I like to take my time and chat with people to have fun. I'm not a recoboxer or a TTFer, so I haven't really cheated my way up. I've learned how to play my character better over time, especially once I hit Ult.

If I'm not a vet, I'm at least very far from being a noob. I've gained enough experience in the game that I don't act stupid as any character, and I can act pretty smart with some.

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 04:21 PM
On 2004-04-28 14:11, LoreSeeker wrote:
What an interesting topic! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I don't know if I'd consider myself a veteran or not. On one hand, I generally know a lot more about items, playing the game, and just overall stuff than a lot of players. On the other hand, there are some people who know a LOT more than me, who have played a LOT longer than me, and who are at a LOT higher of a level than me.

I know my way around many of the maps, but not all of them. I don't know much about mags at all, except that I'm way too lazy to raise one of my own. I have no doubt that some of my items are dupes, but whatever, I traded for them with my items. I know a good deal about all of the special little things about different classes, but I don't have everything memorized.

My RAmar is level 166 at the moment, so I meet your (Kef's) level requirement, but there's no way that I could do C-Mode to get a Bu-EI, simply because I like to take my time and chat with people to have fun. I'm not a recoboxer or a TTFer, so I haven't really cheated my way up. I've learned how to play my character better over time, especially once I hit Ult.

If I'm not a vet, I'm at least very far from being a noob. I've gained enough experience in the game that I don't act stupid as any character, and I can act pretty smart with some.

Nothing wrong with TTF, I just forgot the part where I was supposed to mention you don't do anything except tag the enemies, and let others do the work.

I would call you a Vet, since you do have a lot of time in this game, and know a lot about it. The C-Mode Bu-Ei is just an extra addition, and doesn't have to be met by everyone.

RequiemWolf
Apr 28, 2004, 04:22 PM
I'd have to go with the amount of time you've spent playing...I mean the more you've played the game, the more experience you'll have, thus moving you closer to becoming a veteran (you can't argue with the Dictionary).
Anyway, what does it matter...it's about enjoying the game.
Isn't it?

Solstis
Apr 28, 2004, 04:46 PM
Tell you the truth, I have NEVER played CMode.

It never seemed to catch my interest, and I rarely play B-Mode.

I rarely spend time with my characters anymore (I've rarely played in the last month), and I doubt my HUmar with ever break 120 at this rate.

Am I not a vet then?

I dunno, as I haven't exactly explored every facet of PSO, nor do I plan to.

But, I could be considered a map worm http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif as far as Episode I is concerned, and I know a lot of technical info about the game.

Not to mention, anyone who writes fictions is a vet in my book http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Gah... I'll just stick with my unappreciated title as a DC vet http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Mixfortune
Apr 28, 2004, 04:58 PM
Well, it seems I may be able to match up to Kef's definition of a vet, except that I never was able to get a RA to 100+, mostly because of multiple corruptions. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Of course, the terms "veteran" and "skilled player" can have different meanings depending on how you look at it. Of course, half the things described here as vet material are statistically impossible on version 1. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Cyger
Apr 28, 2004, 08:34 PM
I consider a veteran for this game someone who is extremely skilled in the game and has followed the PS path since near its beginning. Take for example me: I've been playing PS games since the very first with Nei(at least, I think that was the first one....it's been so long now...)...I'm not sure if people would consider me as a "vet" though. I have the knowledge of all my characters in depth(what rares they find, how to stratesize against all monsters/bosses, knowing the levels, knowing how to take advantage of all the weapons uses like swords to keep back enemies for example, etc). It all depends on a person's thoughts of whom they look to. And you also find simple yet often missed specialties of weapons. When I first used a Card weapon with my force, I realized that it could be the strongest weapon, if you are close enough to an enemy on the third stage of a combo, all three shots hit it for damage and can do some major killage.

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
On 2004-04-28 18:34, Cyger wrote:
I consider a veteran for this game someone who is extremely skilled in the game and has followed the PS path since near its beginning. Take for example me: I've been playing PS games since the very first with Nei(at least, I think that was the first one....it's been so long now...)...I'm not sure if people would consider me as a "vet" though. I have the knowledge of all my characters in depth(what rares they find, how to stratesize against all monsters/bosses, knowing the levels, knowing how to take advantage of all the weapons uses like swords to keep back enemies for example, etc). It all depends on a person's thoughts of whom they look to. And you also find simple yet often missed specialties of weapons. When I first used a Card weapon with my force, I realized that it could be the strongest weapon, if you are close enough to an enemy on the third stage of a combo, all three shots hit it for damage and can do some major killage.

Problem with this is that the question was a PSO Vet. Not everyone knows about or cares about much of what happened in PS1-PS4. You don't need anything from the previous games to be a vet in PSO.

TiRune
Apr 29, 2004, 01:48 AM
On 2004-04-28 10:25, Kef wrote:
well that's how you see things for now, maybe it will change when you reach higher levels, maybe not. But that's not how I see things.

I require:
-1 Lv 150+
-legit

I feel a lot more experienced in the way of the RAmarl now that Terra is 200 than how I felt about it when she was 150ish, a lot more.

I've been playing for over a year now, I know every map by heart and how much monsters spawn, and when. I've made countless S-rank weapons, have a win rate of about 80% in battling without withdrawing. I know the dropcharts by heart and I know almost every glitch and tactic in the game, but, I've never had a lvl 150+ char, since I always like remaking them twinking them and lvling again and again. (btw I'm also legit http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). so only because I don't have a lvl 150+ char I'm not a veteran?

doesn't make sense too me o_O

I've also seen loads of people who have a lvl 150 char by playing ttf all the time, but they are the biggest n00bs I've ever seen. they asked me what my S-rank twin for a kind of weapon was... when I told them it was a s-rank they told me they didn't know what it was o_O.

ur a veteran if you know loads of aspects of the game in my opinion...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TiRune on 2004-04-28 23:54 ]</font>

Saigan
Apr 29, 2004, 03:15 AM
Agreed, this is a terribly interesting topic. So interesting that I even feel the need to post (post count 29 maybe?)
The use of the term veteran is being horribly skewered here. Agreed, it is not clearly defined but it certainly does not coincide with good player. I just recently hit level 150 with my FOmar Saigan and did notice that I had learned a fair amount about the game has to offer. Technically speaking I am a DC vet, however I would be embarassed to even speak of how horrid a player I was. (Never beat off line caves in normal; stopped played at level 45)
I do consider myself to be all the wiser and a skilled FOmar player.
I realized I had reached an understanding of my class' purpose on a team during a TTF during which I was almost purely support aside from throwing in the occasional help with the Can room in the Mines and bosses. I tagged enemies with J/Z and spent the rest of my team running from party member to party member throwing out Resta and Anti before they even thought to ask for it.
Then I recieved compliments; "Excellent Forcing Saigan!", "Everyone, meet Saigan; the best battlemage in this game!", and the one I still hold closest "Could you please help me. A friend said you're good." (The last one came from a level 31 RAcaseal newbie who was having trouble with Hard Forest... And Yes, I aided her.. not by letting her tag enemies but by offering up advice on what she was doing wrong and showing her how to avoid taking hits from the less newb friendly beasties.)
Now that I have reached the point where I see that my party's effectiveness would drop greatly if I were not present and that the younger/less experienced players truly improve after my advice I feel as if I have become "good" at this game.

Now to tackle C-mode...

Rapture
Apr 29, 2004, 05:50 AM
LOL I never expected this topic to have so many views (and replies, well more replies than any other topic I have made). I also welcome the comments about this being an interesting topic too, I was going to post this on Gamefaqs but I thought, "hey, wait a minute, I'll post this on PSO World as that's where a lot of PSO lovers are.

Anyway I have enjoyed reading these post and seeing peoples different views on what makes a veteran. Personally I would consider myself a Vet, although I have no 150+char, have never played C-Mode and battle mode (to any note worthy degree, plus FSOD-X puts me off going online) i still consider me a vet.

My reasoning, well it's simple really, I believe myself to have a vast knowledge of the game, tech weaknesses,I'm legit,rare drops,how to ultilise my weapon use (somthing I don't think many people have touched on) e.g. timing my combos so not to leave me open to attack, such as with the mechs, it is possible to leave a large gap between blasts, this is useful for holding an enemy back from you. Anyway have fun peeps.

P.S. After I made this topic yesterday i went on an ult forest run with my Hune (lvl 77) I found a Pal Rappy......a FAT Pal rappy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif . I have never seen one of those before.

ShinAsura666
Apr 29, 2004, 08:58 AM
I think a vet should be anyone who has hit lvl 200(legit)and found some pretty damn nice stuff.But they also have to be willing to help newbies and stuff too.

Hrith
Apr 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
On 2004-04-28 23:48, TiRune wrote:

On 2004-04-28 10:25, Kef wrote:

I require:
-1 Lv 150+
-legit

I've been playing for over a year now, I know every map by heart and how much monsters spawn, and when. I've made countless S-rank weapons, have a win rate of about 80% in battling without withdrawing. I know the dropcharts by heart and I know almost every glitch and tactic in the game, but, I've never had a lvl 150+ char, since I always like remaking them twinking them and lvling again and again. (btw I'm also legit http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). so only because I don't have a lvl 150+ char I'm not a veteran?

doesn't make sense too me o_O
You are limiting my statement to the "Lv 150+" argument, which is not the case.

I can assure you that you need to have a high Lv char to know more about the game, things you only learn this way.

DurakkenX
Apr 29, 2004, 01:52 PM
i think it's stupid to go off C-mode because if you take someone like me for example who has well over 10,000 hours and has played since the day the first version came out and now has a lvel 160 char still doesn't have a C-mode rank? why? because the people i play with suck. At least one person in my party always ruins it and you can not do Cmode on your own so you can not consider it being a veteran...plus not only that C-mode locks up a lot of times for people and people get tired of it so don't play it

lain2k3
Apr 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
On 2004-04-29 06:58, ShinAsura666 wrote:
I think a vet should be anyone who has hit lvl 200(legit)and found some pretty damn nice stuff.But they also have to be willing to help newbies and stuff too.

The level 200 statement, makes some sense, but you cannot base Vet-ness on pure luck.

Saigan
Apr 30, 2004, 05:26 AM
I recently went back and read through this string again and have two notes:

The first being that Nei was in Phantasy Star 2 for the Genesis. Phantasy Star 1 was for the 8-bit master system and starred Alis, Odin, Myau, and Noah in their fight against the evil Lassik (who turned out to be Falz anyway).

The second being that challenge mode in my opinion is the best way to test yourself in the game (read: "opinion"). Failure to construct a good team to tackle it with factors in as well. If you cannot put together a good team of people to do C-Mode with it means that you have not found the right group to tackle C-mode. No ragtag group of 150+ characters who believe that leveling is the only way to become better can stand a chance at C-Mode. I was fortunate enough to find a good mix of characters and with the help of Assassin (thank you thank you thank you) we did C3 with hardly any problems at all. Not a single scape doll was used. I attribute this to the excellent job Assassin did in leading the party and the excellent job each party member did at doing, well, their job.
C-Mode s a good way of testing more than your skill as far as level goes... it instead tests how well you understand your character, your team, and the game.

TiRune
Apr 30, 2004, 08:05 AM
On 2004-04-29 09:23, Kef wrote:

I can assure you that you need to have a high Lv char to know more about the game, things you only learn this way.

Like what? o_O
if I have played every char, used almost all weapons around (I haven't always been legit in the past, please forgive me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ). what could a higher lvl char teach me? how total pwnage feels? if that's what u mean, I could just as well use my lvl 120 char and play normal http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

PSO_Komodo
Apr 30, 2004, 09:18 AM
PSO Veteran is someone who has played since DC in my opinion, it doesnt matter how skillful you are, you dont need skill to get high levels, only need skill for challenge. Heres my requirements:
Played online on DC ver.1 before PKing started and reached atleast lvl 90 legit.
Plays/ed online on Ep.1&2 and 3, and has progressed to atleast lvl 100 in Ep1&2.

Having skill is nothing to do with being a Veteran, and if you've met those requirements then you have experience in the games, any further than that and its just the same old stuff.

If you have never played DC ver.1 online then theres no way your a PSO Vet, no matter what level or however many S ranks youve earnt, that just proves that you play or are good at the latest versions.

If you never experienced how ver.1 online when it first was released then you have dont even have any idea what PSO originally was. It was revolutionary back then, an online RPG on a console, amazing, and the amount of players that played absolutely blitzed what ever Ep1&2 has achieved. Ep1&2 is a better game BUT it will never be as good as ver1 because it never had as many players or any revolutionary appeal. Ep3 I believe makes a great next game in the series although if only others were of the same opinion.

lain2k3
Apr 30, 2004, 02:26 PM
On 2004-04-30 07:18, PSO_Komodo wrote:
PSO Veteran is someone who has played since DC in my opinion, it doesnt matter how skillful you are, you dont need skill to get high levels, only need skill for challenge. Heres my requirements:
Played online on DC ver.1 before PKing started and reached atleast lvl 90 legit.
Plays/ed online on Ep.1&2 and 3, and has progressed to atleast lvl 100 in Ep1&2.

Having skill is nothing to do with being a Veteran, and if you've met those requirements then you have experience in the games, any further than that and its just the same old stuff.

If you have never played DC ver.1 online then theres no way your a PSO Vet, no matter what level or however many S ranks youve earnt, that just proves that you play or are good at the latest versions.

If you never experienced how ver.1 online when it first was released then you have dont even have any idea what PSO originally was. It was revolutionary back then, an online RPG on a console, amazing, and the amount of players that played absolutely blitzed what ever Ep1&2 has achieved. Ep1&2 is a better game BUT it will never be as good as ver1 because it never had as many players or any revolutionary appeal. Ep3 I believe makes a great next game in the series although if only others were of the same opinion.

So, by your definition, version 2 doesnt matter, and someone who didnt play V.1 can never in their lives be aveteran, even if they still play 1&2 offline 25 years from now.

I dont like it.

LoreSeeker
Apr 30, 2004, 04:06 PM
On 2004-04-30 03:26, Saigan wrote:
The second being that challenge mode in my opinion is the best way to test yourself in the game (read: "opinion"). Failure to construct a good team to tackle it with factors in as well. If you cannot put together a good team of people to do C-Mode with it means that you have not found the right group to tackle C-mode. No ragtag group of 150+ characters who believe that leveling is the only way to become better can stand a chance at C-Mode. I was fortunate enough to find a good mix of characters and with the help of Assassin (thank you thank you thank you) we did C3 with hardly any problems at all. Not a single scape doll was used. I attribute this to the excellent job Assassin did in leading the party and the excellent job each party member did at doing, well, their job.
C-Mode s a good way of testing more than your skill as far as level goes... it instead tests how well you understand your character, your team, and the game.

C-Mode is a great way to test your knowledge of the game. It can be a really great time if you have a capable leader to tell the team what to do, but it can also be completely lame if your team has no direction. I've seen both types of leaders in groups, and I think I can safely say that the leader is the single most important part of playing C-Mode successfully. Sure, everyone in the team needs to be able to play well and not get killed all the time, but it's really all about the organization of a group.

Ketchup345
Apr 30, 2004, 04:24 PM
On 2004-04-30 14:06, LoreSeeker wrote:
C-Mode is a great way to test your knowledge of the game. It can be a really great time if you have a capable leader to tell the team what to do, but it can also be completely lame if your team has no direction. I've seen both types of leaders in groups, and I think I can safely say that the leader is the single most important part of playing C-Mode successfully. Sure, everyone in the team needs to be able to play well and not get killed all the time, but it's really all about the organization of a group.

C-Mode is great.

I disagree with the leader part though. You don't need a leader if everyone knows their role, and what they are doing. If you have a map, or some knowledge of the map variations from normal play, C-Mode is fairly easy.

I know this by experiance. I have beat Ep 1 C-Mode completely on JP Alcyone 6-1, and most of my teams have had a part of it that speaks only Japanese. I do not speak a word of Japanese, but was able to beat every map on my first try in a very good time, without any words really spoken about the stage (except an occasional "Are you coming?" because I didn't see the yeam run by).

But C-Mode is a very great way to test your experiance. There is no true all around accepted definition of a vet in PSO though.

Evil_Althena8
Apr 30, 2004, 05:51 PM
On 2004-04-29 06:58, ShinAsura666 wrote:

kind of hard to do for some of us. I could care less about reaching lvl 200...kinda pointless unless you're one of those perfectionists that must conquer every aspect of a game. IMO it's time played that matters when considering being a veteran, as with being a veteran in anything else. Time=experience=skill

DurakkenX
Apr 30, 2004, 11:00 PM
episode does not matter...

BEING SKILLED =
being able to use every weapon proficiently that applies to the class that you play and are at least decent with weapons that you don't use

EXPERIENCE =
knowing how many times you need to hit a mofo with given weapon with certain ATP without needing a calc.

SKILL =
Getting to ULT alone online and offline without the need for someone to intrfere in your game (i.e legit)

Experience =
Knowing recobox is quicker and knowing the quickest ways to do it

SKILL =
Hitting enemies without getting hit at all when not one hit killing

Experience =
knowing WHEN you need to dodge

SKILL =
S/D J/Z before it actually run out and Reversering without being told to...

Experience =
Lieing dead on the ground for 5+ minutes become some jerk off is running around killing enemies while right next to you

SKILL =
Knowing the glitches

Experience =
Knowing the game and story

C-mode does not matter because i can beat C-1 alone offline with leaving my other controller idle accept for opening areas and such. It's just pathetic players that I can't get a rank with and everytime i get a decent person to run it with he wants to have 2 other people with that can't survive. so as far as C-mode RANK DOES NOT MATTER...however being able to do it DOES

time and level does not really matter because i know people with several chars over 160 that didn't know how to do a combo. Time doesn't matter because you could spend all day every day in a lobby talking. So what does being a vet entail?

Experience
Skill
knowledge of the game
knowledge of the game society
Your accomplishments
How long you've played..not hours played

in other words

1. knowing what to do and how to do it
2. being able to do that stuff
3. pretty much beating the game offline
4. knowing the social graces of being online
5. from characters to items to level 200 to c-mode beat the more you have of these the better your considered
6. let's be honest if you've played 1 week for 100hours versus someone who has played 6 months and has only wracked up 100 hours...i'm still calling the one with 6months time under his belt a vet over the one with a week. why? because the one with 6 months has gone through many personal revolutions and seen many changes in the games over the one that has only playd a week.

GuerillaPimp
May 1, 2004, 09:45 AM
Veteran: Noun

1. somebody with experience: somebody who has had considerable experience of a particular activity

2. military somebody who has served in the armed forces: somebody who has served in the armed forces

3. military experienced soldier: somebody who has been a member of one of the armed forces for many years and has seen a great deal of active service

If you take the dictionary's answer, Skill has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with the about of time you spent playing it. YOu can have two players of equal playing ability and one only be a true vet. Player A has been playing since DC, and player B since either PSOGC, or PSOX. Just because Player B is as good as Player A doesn't automatically make him a veteran

squeak
May 1, 2004, 10:43 AM
id say that being a vet is when youve played long enough to know the difference.

if you say "DC vet" then youre already saying dreamcast.
i remember DCPSO and knowing the differences because i had been pk'ed (player killed) and i remember the disgust i had at watching my wep get yoinked as i layed there dead.
the difference now being that weps dont drop they just unequip.

i remember banking the mag, cause leaving the team was when sync went down, not dying.

and i remember that you could see the damage numbers of weps that do "half hp damage" instead of that triangle star effect.

theres lots more too but i dont think theres a lvl requirement. if i just started GCPSO, id still be a veteran.

there are some real smart people that posted here tho, im glad i got to see some knowledge and maturity about a subject other than the bickering of legitness.

Rapture
May 1, 2004, 12:37 PM
time and level does not really matter because i know people with several chars over 160 that didn't know how to do a combo.

What the hell?????? They couldn't combo? man they must have had a hard time getting to that sort of level. I can't even begin to imagine how boring it would have been (and how obviously stupid those people must be, ever heard of the instruction manual).

DurakkenX
May 1, 2004, 09:00 PM
actually he knew about them, just couldn't figure out how to do them..some people are rythmically challenged but he can now since he started counting beats

ViewtifulJoe
May 2, 2004, 12:10 AM
Veterans are all those higher than me.

Saigan
May 2, 2004, 05:46 AM
I just met those 160s you spoke of. They hide in the hallway while the FO (ME!!!!) tackles the Sinow room in TTF. My poor Omachao is still recovering... When they did go in the room they died faster than I did. S/D NEVER wears off in my parties because I focus on the top left hand corner of the screen. Consfused? BAM anti! Paralyzed? BAM! anti! I'm faster with it than your cure/ailment slot.
Yet... they hid in the hall because no one wants to run the risk of dying. They couldn't combo, they insisted on using the strongest weapons they had instead of what would be more efficient. They chose 800 to one target over 400 to five targets...
I thought I was gonna go off at them for a while.
Death Rate: 20
Rank A
That's the first non-S I've had on TTF.
They were not Vets nor were they skilled. Mein gott.

SpyroDi
May 2, 2004, 04:19 PM
On 2004-05-02 03:46, Saigan wrote:
I just met those 160s you spoke of. They hide in the hallway while the FO (ME!!!!) tackles the Sinow room in TTF. My poor Omachao is still recovering... When they did go in the room they died faster than I did. S/D NEVER wears off in my parties because I focus on the top left hand corner of the screen. Consfused? BAM anti! Paralyzed? BAM! anti! I'm faster with it than your cure/ailment slot.
Yet... they hid in the hall because no one wants to run the risk of dying. They couldn't combo, they insisted on using the strongest weapons they had instead of what would be more efficient. They chose 800 to one target over 400 to five targets...
I thought I was gonna go off at them for a while.
Death Rate: 20
Rank A
That's the first non-S I've had on TTF.
They were not Vets nor were they skilled. Mein gott.

That's why you shouldn't judge people over their level as much...especially if they are a HUmar using hacked equipment and are silent(GC)or sound like a kid(XB)during the game,and complain often.

I think a veteran is someone who has a good enough experience with the game to be very knowledgeable about it,and has played enough to get there.

TiRune
May 3, 2004, 01:07 AM
I've seen people of lvl 180+ in ult ruins, who didn't know the c-mode trick with which u can walk past the rock in a certain room... such people aren't vets o_O http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DarthFomar
May 3, 2004, 02:31 AM
If you can perform well in a team with everyone else *as far as battle goes*, also if you have beaten the game on Ultimate or you can seriously kick ass all around, then you are a vet. Especially is you are using a FOrce, seeing as they are the support characters...you need skill to perform well with them.

Siris
May 3, 2004, 09:32 AM
Ok well, just because one has played the DC version amounts to...crap. Were there no bad DC players? Let's not confuse being a "veteran" with being a skilled or knowledgeable player.