PDA

View Full Version : best startrek series

Swan
Apr 29, 2004, 02:24 PM
Everyone knows it's TNG, but there hasto be someone who thinks not. this is a doohiky designed to flush out such people.

navci
Apr 29, 2004, 02:49 PM
I personally like DS9 best. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I guess it has something to do with that I wasn't old enough to have access to all episodes of TNG.

And, I like Captain Sisko better.

Logical2u
Apr 29, 2004, 02:57 PM
While one cannot debate the greatness of the original series *SPOCK!!!*, TNG was a great series, and also featured a bald man as captain. EQUAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS, you can go home now!

Subliminalgroove
Apr 29, 2004, 04:26 PM
TNG, hands down... so many hotties in just one show! Mmmmm, Patrick Stewart.

DarthFomar
Apr 29, 2004, 04:48 PM
I chose Deep Space 9, b'cuz rat-face is in just about every episode. He's just so discusting that it actually makes the show interesting. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

The Next Generation is only any good cuz of Picard...and Worf, and maybe La Forge. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Scejntjynahl
Apr 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
Star Wars > Star Trek

DarthFomar
Apr 29, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yes...star wars is awesome, but where else can someone be completely disintegrated by a phaser besides Star Trek... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

VulpesMundi
Apr 29, 2004, 05:03 PM
I rate the five series in this order (best to worst)...
The Next Generation
Enterprise
Original
Voyager
Deep Space 9

The Next Generation gave us such characters as Data/Lore (Brent Spiner) and Q (John DeLancie). That's enough to make it the best. On top of that, this series used a lot of smart dialogue and intelligent plotlines to grab the audience and intruige us. The good casting was definately a big plus.

Enterprise took on the daunting task of going back to the roots of Star Trek, before even the original series took place. The series is decently cast and gripping enough to keep me interested. My only complaint is a liberal use of plot coupons (such as time travel).

The original series was ground-breaking for its time. However, it is definately showing its age. Most of the time it feels like it was there to simply give Kirk an excuse to bastardize more children. But Bones, Spock, Checkov, Scottie, and even Mr. Sulu made it all worthwhile.

Voyager was kind of lacking. It tried to repeat what TNG had done, but was rushed and too politically correct. It relied far too heavily on plot coupons, as well. And the only two characters that seemed worthwhile were the Holo-Doctor and the return of Q every now and again.

Deep Space 9 didn't even feel like a Star Trek series to me. The fact that the majority of the show took place on a space station, instead of exploring, kinda defeated the concept of Star Trek (exploration). There were no endearing characters for me, either.

_____
Babylon 5, which ran at roughly the same time as Deep Space 9, was a far better series than any of the Star Treks. The creater, J. Michael Strazynski, devised an entire five year story arc (plus various history) before the show even began filming. It was intelligently written, superbly cast, and hit you with every emotion in the five years it ran. If you want sci-fi the way it should be, this is the best TV series bar none.

Subliminalgroove
Apr 29, 2004, 05:03 PM
On 2004-04-29 15:00, Furankunichan wrote:
Star Wars > Star Trek

Bah, SW is just a rip off of Wagner's Ring Cycle...

navci
Apr 29, 2004, 06:25 PM
On 2004-04-29 15:03, VulpesMundi wrote:
Voyager was kind of lacking. It tried to repeat what TNG had done, but was rushed and too politically correct. It relied far too heavily on plot coupons, as well. And the only two characters that seemed worthwhile were the Holo-Doctor and the return of Q every now and again.

Deep Space 9 didn't even feel like a Star Trek series to me. The fact that the majority of the show took place on a space station, instead of exploring, kinda defeated the concept of Star Trek (exploration). There were no endearing characters for me, either.

I know many people didn't like DS9 for the fact that:
1. It was too similar to Babylon 5
2. It was on a space station.

I think it is still better than Voyager.

Voyager is what I call utter (bad word) in the ST franchance. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Seriously, the Doctor is the only thing that made me watch most of the episodes.

See. I'd really like to point out the lack of continuity in Voyager. It generally doesn't make sense. Where do all the shuttlecraft come from? What about endless supply of supplies?

Especially with the recent turn of Enterprise, we are seeing real development on a Captain, for his crew and planet, to what extreme would he go to. Which, I thought was the issue that Voyager was supposed to deal with, but never did. I loathe Voyager as a series, it had individual good moments. But in general, I hated it. And I will leave you a couple episodes where you can think about the horribleness of the series.

1. Where Tom Paris went through warp 10 and become slug with Janeway.
2. Q and a female Q and their baby and some war that happened in their Q world.
3. Janeway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
4. Almost every of the Neelix episodes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
There are more. But I am eager to forget them.

Some are really good though, one in particular with the story about the Equinox. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

One thing didn't make TNG my favourite aside from reasons mentioned above:
Lwuxana Troi http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zzzzzz
Apr 29, 2004, 06:36 PM
Seasons 2-7 on DVD, baby!
So, yeah, I prefer TNG over all other Star Treks.

I notice a lot of people will watch parts of series they don't like because of one person. I prefer, if I'm gonna watch Sci-Fi, at least have a good cast.

And I still need to watch Babylon 5.

Para
Apr 29, 2004, 11:25 PM
TNG definitely.
I guess TNG was more mystery like than action.

And welcome back subliminalgroove havent seen you in ages o_O

now we got a pso hunny and a pso sweetie o_O!

_Ted_
Apr 30, 2004, 12:08 AM
TNG! I always liked that one the best.

I've never really watched an episode of Enterprise though, it really just doesn't seem very appealing to me.

BlackRose
Apr 30, 2004, 12:11 AM
Next generation, by far. I almost bought cable when I heard they were showing it every night on spike tv. o_O

*remembers to start trying to sell his star-trek cards*

Para
Apr 30, 2004, 07:05 AM
On 2004-04-29 22:08, _Ted_ wrote:

I've never really watched an episode of Enterprise though, it really just doesn't seem very appealing to me.

I agree. I was utterly disappointed by the back track in technology... I wanted to know what happened with the technology admiral janeway brought back...

Swan
Apr 30, 2004, 08:02 AM
Voager was vary lacking, dispite Q (who's god-like powers really didn't fit star trek, methinx) the last season of DS9 was one any startrek's high points. TOS had Spock... so yeah. TNG was the best. you cna thank the epesode "starship mine" for that. *sigh* good times...

PS: "year of hell" = best VGR epesode.

Nai_Calus
Apr 30, 2004, 08:42 AM
On 2004-04-30 05:05, Nites wrote:

I agree. I was utterly disappointed by the back track in technology... I wanted to know what happened with the technology admiral janeway brought back...

Uh... Enterprise takes place before TOS. >_>; No freaking duh there's backtracking, none of that stuff is invented yet. XP

Para
Apr 30, 2004, 12:40 PM
On 2004-04-30 06:42, Ian-KunX wrote:

On 2004-04-30 05:05, Nites wrote:

Uh... Enterprise takes place before TOS. >_>; No freaking duh there's backtracking, none of that stuff is invented yet. XP

Thats why Im utterly disappointed. No good technology... no beautiful armour.... no sexy transphasic torpedoes..... ;_;

Also DS9's last season was pretty good.

Zaneatron
Apr 30, 2004, 12:55 PM
the last season of DS9 owned, period. they spent ages developing the Dominion story line, which is similar to what they're doing in Enterprise with the Xindi, albeit its going a little off track, but you need breif breaks from a solid plot line.

i do like all the series really, except TOS, too old fashioned for me. the films were good though. the voyage home was awesome.

but dont foeget, in "all good things" parts 1&2 they travel at warp 13, which is contradicted by the episode of voyager where warp 10 is an infinate speed, so theoretically you couldnt go any faster. unless warp 13 is just a neame given to space folding :S
anyway, i loves my ST, but choosing 1 is a hard task. i would prefer to choose a favourite episode from each series, because, imo, they all have strong cases.
if i were held at gun point to pick a series, prolly TNG, cause of Patrick Stewart, cause hes English http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif im so vein...

but i like Stargate a lot too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Jack and Teal'c. what a combination http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

navci
Apr 30, 2004, 01:29 PM
On 2004-04-30 10:40, Nites wrote:
Thats why Im utterly disappointed. No good technology... no beautiful armour.... no sexy transphasic torpedoes..... ;_;

I know in Sci Fi we all seek to look at super technologies and stuff. But, I think Voyager really brought it to a point that all the new technology takes away any drama there can be. I mean, if the episode if full of technobbable and nothing you know something is not quite right.

It is a Sci Fi show, we should have technology, but it also should be able the people who are behind the technology. That's what I liked about Enterprise. So yes, technology is backwards, but it also adds to the story now there is no easy way to do things. Like, if you wanna escape from some ship, you can't just beam them out. It is a little closer to home than other series, yes, there are some really exciting moments of first getting this kinda technology and that kinda technology, showing the hardship in the process of getting it, as well as what it was like before ... kinda a no taking it for granted thing.

I guess the series is really turning around with the Xindi arc. I just think Enterprise has a set of things that are interesting to explode, ... the characters (at least, the one that get written) are pretty damn facinating to watch (Captain Archer in particular)... now I just wish they give some of the younger character SOMEthing to do too, instead of just standing around saying a line or two. (come on, Mayweather is cute! Give him something to do!!)

Ya.

Subliminalgroove
Apr 30, 2004, 06:30 PM
On 2004-04-29 21:25, Nites wrote:
And welcome back subliminalgroove havent seen you in ages o_O

Good to be back. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Swan
May 1, 2004, 03:58 PM
DS9 did have the coolest season ever. peroid.

RavenTW
May 1, 2004, 06:52 PM
Voyager owns all. Deal with it.

Link00seven
May 2, 2004, 11:46 AM
In Order, from best to worst.

1: The Next Generation
2: Original Series
3: Voyager
4: Deep Space 9

I cant rate Enterprise (the newest one) because I havent watched it. The original series, although really good, doesnt live up to what TNG created, although it came afterwards.

Dragon_Ash
May 2, 2004, 01:13 PM
TNG pwns all, my favourite best to worst

1 - TNG
2 - Enterprise
3 - original
4 - Voyager

I won't bother with DS9, never really watched it, not my cup of tea http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Swan
May 3, 2004, 01:16 PM
you never watched DS9? it had the coolest ending ever! but overall, TNG was still better. voyager still blew. I stand by that. enterprise was pretty good, but it came up just slightly short of DS9. don't make me explain that again.

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
In order from pwn-ness to lameness:

TOS
DS9
TNG
Voyager

Haven't watched Enterprise much.

Oh, and lyrical themesong for Star Trek = Ewww

Swan
May 3, 2004, 01:28 PM
the only gross trek themes are enterprise and TOS. and how gross they are!

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2004, 01:42 PM
On 2004-05-03 11:28, Swan wrote:
the only gross trek themes are enterprise and TOS. and how gross they are!

Ungodly heathen. Begone from my sight. XP

Dragon_Ash
May 3, 2004, 07:18 PM
On 2004-05-03 11:16, Swan wrote:
you never watched DS9? it had the coolest ending ever! but overall, TNG was still better. voyager still blew. I stand by that. enterprise was pretty good, but it came up just slightly short of DS9. don't make me explain that again.

I've seen one or two episodes... some where ok but then they stopped airing them on tv and replaced them with TNG re-runs and Voyagers episodes >_>

Swan
May 4, 2004, 02:20 PM
watch the last season. it rules!

Pixel_Toa
May 6, 2004, 09:47 PM
On 2004-05-03 11:20, Ian-KunX wrote:
In order from pwn-ness to lameness:

TOS
DS9
TNG
Voyager

Haven't watched Enterprise much.

Oh, and lyrical themesong for Star Trek = Ewww

^See above^

And by the way, the TOS theme song owns all.

EJ
May 6, 2004, 09:52 PM
I say DS9 it had the best plot and the final episodes were good but that just me