PDA

View Full Version : Deck: Malice

Mixfortune
Apr 29, 2004, 03:45 PM
I figured I'd post a deck and get some feedback. Of course, that means I can't really use this deck online because of similar decks or counter decks (although I don't think anyone is really bent on making counter decks specifically against me), but oh well.

I just made this deck yesterday after thinking for a little while. I tested some of the concepts within earlier decks, and this deck seems to work quite well against COMs, but I have not really tested it against human players, since it's missing a few cards.

Story Character: Kranz

DB Saber x2
Slicer of Assassin x3
Mechgun x1
Soul Barrier x1
God's Shield Genbu x1
DB's Shield x1
Mag x1
Assault x1
Mighty Knuckle x1
Half Attack x3
Punch x2
Change Attack x2
Dodge x2
Guard x3
TP Defense x2
Escape x2
Card Return x2

The focus of this deck is to destroy items or creatures and bypass many viable means of defense.
The deck centers around the Slicers of Assassin and keeping them alive and around, with a DB Saber as backup for tight spots or when you are surrounded (fixed range of slicer won't attack a square next to you), and also help create the link if you use the DB shield to help protect a Slicer of Assassin.

This is a one weapon, one shield setup. Depending on the cards available, adjustments can be made, such as the removal of dodges and guards for more suitable Punch Guards, etc.

Cards such as Escape and Card Return help keep the low number of weapons available. The mechgun can be any other backup weapon, such as another DB Saber, so long as it has a cost of 1 or 2. I chose a mechgun for its range, since it can be used in conjuction with either the Slicer's range or the DB Saber's range.

The main point of the deck is to destroy items and creatures by means of Minor Death. With Minor Death, if the target has 3 or less HP after an attack, it is automatically destroyed, regardless of damage taken.

If I attack an Evil Shark that has 3 HP for 4 damage and it blocks with a Guard, doing 0 base damage, it will still automatically destroy the Shark, since it had 3 or less HP.

Likewise, if a creature with 5 HP takes 3 damage from the Slicer of Assassin, bringing it to 2 HP, it is also automatically destroyed. Here's where the Half Attacks come in.

Half Attack brings the target down to half of its current HP (no affect on story characters), and is virtually unblockable. Half Attack used in conjunction with Slicer of Assassin can automatically destroy any target with 7 or less HP. Quite nifty with fixed range.

Downsides of this deck become apparent when surrounded without the proper weapons equipped, or when facing certain Hunters. Against Hunters, I recommend using the God's Shield as opposed to DB's Shield, as the four point cost of the God's Shield will allow more than one weapon to be equipped. Watch out for major rampage when equipping three or more weapons, otherwise the Slicers are toast.

No doubt there are better cards to place in here, such as Punch/Penetrate guards and cards such as Immortality, but this is what I currently have to work with.

Overall it's a risky deck in the beginning, but if you handle yourself well early on, the EX bonus and fixed range from Kranz should make it easier to use the cards you need to.

Suggestions? Comments?

EDIT- Fix may work well in this situation, making it easier to keep the Slicers alive while destroying targets with 5 or less HP. Hmm...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-04-29 13:48 ]</font>

Skorpius
Apr 29, 2004, 07:12 PM
Inferno Bazooka/Slicer of Assassin
WILL kill anything with 7 HP or under.

Mixfortune
Apr 29, 2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah I was thinking about using an Inferno Bazooka, but that can take up a ton of slots, whereas Half Attacks only cost one point (as much as a normal attack). If I used Inferno Bazzoka, a shield, and Slicer of Assassin, I'd be more vulnerable to Major Rampage, which I don't really want to deal with on a Slicer of Assassin given I have hardly any punch guards.

If I use an Inferno Bazooka and Slicer of Assassin alone, the Slicer is easily targetted.

Much easier to deal with Half Attack cards than dealing with Inferno Bazookas in this deck, at least until I get some more cards like Immortality and Specialized Guards.

Question: Does Half Attack still do 2 under the affects of Fix?

EDIT- Actually, it took less points than I thought (when I was checking the card earlier, I thought it was 4 cost). I will try replacing the mechguns with an inferno bazooka, but it still won't be as good of a strategy until I have more punch guards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-04-29 17:46 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Apr 29, 2004, 07:54 PM
Unless you want to leave yourself wide open to major rampage/major pierce, you're only going to attack once per turn at most. Someone with two or three weapons or an Arkz with 2 or 3 monsters can easily have you naked and taking direct damage in a single turn. I prefer to stick to two weapons, myself. More damage opportunities, especially against Hunters, but that's just me. Also, you seem to be relying on medium-high cost things without any Dice +1 or Dice Fever and the like, which makes it vulnerable to bad rolls as well. *shrug* Plus very few weapons makes it really easy for bad hands to leave you naked for several turns while you try to get what you need out. It's an OK deck, but it does need work.

Mixfortune
Apr 29, 2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You highlighted the problems well.
Practicing against COMs (not really good practice) and a human offline, I am able to do well as far as keeping weapons out is concerned. I almost always start with a Slicer of Assassin, and if not, a DB Saber. I usually pull one of the shields as well. Since these are only 2 cost, I'm generally safe for the first turn unless I get a 1-1, but who isn't?

So far the dice rolls have gone well, allowing me to pull of the Card Returns and Escapes. If someone is not expecting an AC based Slicer of Assassin deck, Kranz can usually get a nice amount of EX.

Naturally, this deck only works well on wide open maps. Kranz's fixed range with slicers is not going to be a happy camper in cramped areas, and he needs about 2 turns to get situated. Even with high cost it usually never takes me longer than that, depending on the shield I pulled (2 cost, 4 cost, or 5 cost)

I realized recently that, tweaked a bit of course, this might make a decent team deck, with this deck destroying the items easier while the teams deck attacks afterwards, or attack first to bring them to Death range. Of course, this in itself would be risky.

I think if I had something like Immortality, the one weapon/one shield would do well. And like I mentioned, I still need punch guards http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

shinto_kuji
Apr 30, 2004, 02:31 AM
I had made a deck somewhat like this (minor death with half attacks and change attacks) a little while back for fun. Have yet to try it anywhere but offline as it can get pretty risky with the steady damage that it has in it... >.> <.<

The only thing I would suggest is putting in some Heavy Fogs if you have any. Could really help out when you desperately need for Kranz to not have the slicer range.

Skorpius
Apr 30, 2004, 04:13 AM
*posts a hunter deck where I equip three items*
*gets "Weak to Rampage and Pierce" replies*
Honestly...what the...

I recently am working on two versions of this idea, a while back I made an Arkz version using Ob lilies and La Dimenions. Now I use Guykild with Bazooka/Yas2k/Slicer of Assassin. If you want to discuss stratagies with me, PM me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Nisshoku
Apr 30, 2004, 10:37 AM
I'd say Shuffle All would be a good card to have in there, personally. Gives them less of a chance to draw the card they might need to win the game.

I might even add that to my current Arkz deck, that'd go really well with that card.... Maybe more on that, later.