PDA

View Full Version : Some discussion on EU importers and quests

PSO_Komodo
Apr 30, 2004, 04:42 AM
Im one of those unlucky people who imported the US ep3 only to find I couldnt do 2 of the quests or use my serial for my PAL version of ep1&2.

Now ive just read a thread on another less legit site than this about this issue, and no one there had any answers. So I figured I'd ask here.

Has any tried to see if its possible to change any settings or what not so that you can get authenticated via a different server? For example using a PAL version but logging into an US serial number and access key server. Or what ever happens when you get authenticated.

Even if it requires some sort of non legit way to do it, it would still benefit so many people much like that E code.

As for Future Dream/Bullet quests there are files out there on the net, which I have and would be willing to share with people, that can be used to play the quests. Yes I know this probably pushing the forum rules to the limits, but can you just let part of the thread be? Its seriously unfair how we cant use the serials let alone play the quests. Sorry if it is over the limit, just edit this bit out if it is.....

And finally will the rest of the JP quests be released for the US version?

Arislan
Apr 30, 2004, 05:11 AM
As for the first, it is possible to do, setting up a DNS server that tells PSO to connect to a different IP would solve this, as long as Ep 3 connections would be accepted on the EU authentification servers. An AR could also handle the same thing, but a DNS server would probably be easier... Although, the US version may use slightly different "handshaking" to talk to the auth server, thereby disabling this. Worth a shot if you've nothing better to do.

Nah, we've actually been talking about hosting the DL quests here anyway. If you didn't notice, the DC DL quests have been hosted here for a long time, nothing different about Ep 3 quests.

I highly highly doubt the US will get any of the previous quests released in the US. So no Flower Bouquet or Nintendo Kids for US oor EU players. Sorry.

As for rules, you didn't do anything against forum rules. Just don't actually *ask* for any codes, or give them out through PMs, and you'll be kosher in that regard.

PSO_Komodo
Apr 30, 2004, 05:29 AM
Well Ive read you just change your language to Japanese and then if you've download the quest file onto your mem card then you can play the JP quests, would that work? In fact I'll test it now.

As for the DNS thing I wouldnt know where to start, could somebody write up a quick guide or something, sometime for it?

Arislan
Apr 30, 2004, 05:41 AM
The JP quests also require a little bit of modification to them to be able to play. Open the gci up, the first part will be something like GPSJ8PÿPSO3DL_m000904p_j.bin

Change GPSJ to GPSE and the 904p_j to 904p_e
Then upload it and change the settings, no problem. No weird hex editing or anything needed. Just make *sure* not to change anything else, and make sure you keep case sentitivity or you'll have a corrupted quest.

Also, make sure the card you upload it to isn't the card that has the character game save. If it is, it won't work, and your character file will report as corrupted (the quest has an ID that matches the downloaders character file, but if the quest is on another card, it never looks for this identifier).

As for DNS servers, you're getting into something that's much much more detailed than most simple FAQs, especially given that there aren't very many free decent DNS servers around. Best bet is to do a search for Freeware DNS servers and a couple tutorials on setting one up.

PSO_Komodo
Apr 30, 2004, 05:59 AM
Well I tested the Beautiful Ino'lis quest on my usb card using the some dummy character I created, it worked without corruption. The file was already GPSE, but it still worked with 908p_j. I had my language set to Japanese also.

If I were to use these on my main character I'd do everything you said, but just one last question, would I be able play with the language set to English with the changes you said? Or still have to set it to Japanese?

Thx for all your help on this, I guess its possible for US and EU gamers to get all the quests.

Arislan
Apr 30, 2004, 06:43 AM
The first part is the file identifier, the second part if changed would allow you to have both versions of the same quest on the memory card (although only the language mode you were in would show up).

I'm honestly not sure on setting language modes.. I have the JP version, and english quests show up fine, but that may be because Japanese language mode has native support for English characters. Might as well give it a try without changing, worst that could happen is that you won't be able to access the quest till you switch language modes.

Malkavian
Apr 30, 2004, 08:44 AM
About Future Dream/Bullet quests there is a way for you to download them with no problem.
You would need someone with US Ep 1&2 to play the episode 1&2 quest with your US EP3 serial.

Link00seven
Apr 30, 2004, 08:59 AM
Man, talk about some complicated crap. But, either way, if a code was released to help out--it still wouldnt be allowed here, of course, discussion is still OK http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PSO_Komodo
Apr 30, 2004, 09:15 AM
I wasnt really looking for a code anyway, I dont own an AR, and dont plan to buy one. Just some alternate method.

I'll test out some more language setting changes for these quest things if I can, in case you ever decide to host the quest files.

Mr_Springate
Apr 30, 2004, 09:51 AM
Slightly OT (sorry):
Can someone please write a simple guide for an idiot (that is me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) on how to download the 'Beautiful Ino'lis' quest.

I have a US version of Ep.3.

Thanks.

Mr. Springate

Arislan
Apr 30, 2004, 02:13 PM
Well, given that Beautiful Ino'lis isn't available off the DL servers from the US, the process would be the same as for downloading any other game save off the net... Then follow the instructions to change it to a US quest I listed above, and toss it to a memory card and play. That's about it.

Mr_Springate
May 1, 2004, 03:39 AM
No chance of an idiot's step-by-step guide?!?
Please?? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Arislan
May 1, 2004, 04:04 AM
1) Find quest somewhere
2) Download quest file
3) Change header info
4) Upload quest to memory card
5) Change language settings
6) Play quest

Mr_Springate
May 3, 2004, 10:46 AM
Thankyou very much!.... however how do I actually get to the quest file for 'Beautiful Ino'lis' - do i need to change language settings or anything?
Again - I have the US Ep.3.

Arislan
May 3, 2004, 12:26 PM
Well, like I said, it's not available on the official servers for US users, so you can't get it from there. You need to find it "somewhere else". The language settings need to be changed to play the quest, downloading it has nothing to do with your Gamecube in the US version. At least, not for a US unavailable quest.

Mr_Springate
May 3, 2004, 06:54 PM
I also have a Japanese version of PSO Ep.3 - how can I download it with this?

(Tho I am hesitant to do this - as I will have have to pay the JP Hunter's License...)

Thanks for all the help so far!