PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about taking the plunge

dude3282
Apr 30, 2004, 09:06 PM
Well, as if I didn't have enough things to do in my life, I've decided it would be nice for me (and hopefully for the readers of this board) to start writing PSO fanfics. I'm relatively inexperienced in the field, however I did write some comical Pokemon fanfics back at the Pokemon Abode before it fell off the face of the planet. And fiction writing isn't exactly foreign to me either: whenever the school had an writing contest, I was frequently the kid who won. My writing has matured since then, especially since I started taking harder english classes in high school. I'd like to improve my style a little bit. I'm usually very detailed; I love creating characters, fleshing them out, capturing emotions, sculpting situations and being generally long-winded about everything. So, I don't know when I'll get around to it but I do want to know what to avoid. I've read the stickies, however I do not want to start reading fics until after I've finished my first creation, I want to get my original ideas out before I compare them and see what the status quo is around here. Any help you could give an aspiring writer is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
OT: Yay for me, post #500 after a year and a half.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dude3282 on 2004-04-30 19:07 ]</font>

mr_rubbish
May 1, 2004, 04:05 AM
From what you've said above is sounds like you are more than qualified to write your fan-fics. You may wish to peruse Kafka's guide stickied to this board, otherwise bash out some text so we can have a read!

But...
Before I go, a couple o' pointers.

1. Proofread it before hitting that Submit button. If you copy from M$word it'll convert the " and ' into question marks.

2. Make sure there is plenty of white space. It is easier on the eyes.

3. Do not get discouraged if no one posts any comments. There are a lot less readers now adays and a lot more writers. We all compete for their affections! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

4. Have fun!

5. Welcome aboard!

Sagasu
May 1, 2004, 07:33 AM
*shrug*

Read KaFKa's ficcie guide. Nuff said http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Gnarled_rose
May 1, 2004, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you'll fit it real nice here, and we're all waiting eagerly for your first fic.

dude3282
May 1, 2004, 12:59 PM
Trust me, I'm going through it a few times before I post it, not just for conventional mistakes but for content as well. I hate it when I look back and see that my details don't fit the way I intended them to. I'm looking forward to this, it kept me up a bit last night thinking about ideas. In one of the guides, I remember someone suggesting that first person should be used in some circumstances. Has anyone dabbled with stream of consciousness type stuff, something like Catcher in the Rye? I might go that route for my first one, I dunno. I might start some rough work tonight, but I'll probably be tired of typing because I've got two essays to do for English. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif Peace out, people.

PS - do I have to learn all the "kawaii" talk stuff, like:

<me> wow, that r teh cutsiest thingie I ever sawed!!!!
<him> rice is my friened, no? i love pandas. *snugglies*

I don't really understand why that kind of stuff thrives in the fanart places I've been. But I'll get used to it eventually.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dude3282 on 2004-05-01 11:01 ]</font>

Solstis
May 1, 2004, 03:01 PM
I would be too worried about staying within the stream of consciousness to do it.

Not to mention that I usually write my chapters in about 10-45 minutes in a very impatient manner without any storyboarding or planning.(as many of you can tell)

Hm... I think Fanworks needs to import some readers from Off-Topic or something.

Oh, and I eagerly await your works!

BOC
May 1, 2004, 04:58 PM
hey go for it dude!

i'll keep an eye out for your first fic post. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

and now that rubbish and solstis have pointed out the number of readers has sorta dropped as of late.

seems like everybody is writing or drawing! but just cause nobody posts comments, doesn't mean nobody is reading it.

good luck!

PEACE!!!

MQuantum
May 1, 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Blank spaces are good. Put sufficient paragraph distictions in it, for sure.

I wish you luck on stream of consciousness. You had better be a fantastic writer if you're going to try that. And by everything you've said above, I expect you to be a fantastic writer.

If I remember, I will read your story, when it arrives. If you're good enough though, I'll make it a point to read you fiction, somewhat obsessively.

*nods*

Edit: Oh yes, I will also tell you what I feel is wrong with it, if I feel you need improvement. After all, we can all get better, no?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MQuantum on 2004-05-01 15:34 ]</font>

Zzzzzz
May 2, 2004, 12:20 AM
Yeah, what these guys said.

I await what you come up with!

Skett
May 2, 2004, 12:50 AM
Great, a new writer. Things have slowed down a lot since the big group fic project started and it sounds like you are qualified. I can't wait to read it.

KaFKa
May 2, 2004, 06:29 AM
yeah, read KaFKa's ficcie guide, the guy is a professional literature critic, he knows what he is talking about.

[/shameless self promotion]

and as everyone has said, welcome aboard, enjoy your stay, and dont get discouraged if you dont get many replies. most people read but dont reply (myself included)

oh, and one more thing; respect and fear La Chupacabra

-Z
May 2, 2004, 07:26 AM
ah, young blood stepping up to the plate. i await to see what you can do ^_^

Garanz2
May 2, 2004, 09:55 AM
^ What he said. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I look forward to seeing what you can do.

dude3282
May 2, 2004, 03:49 PM
Well, I've got an idea underway, typing will commence soon. It'll probably take me a good long while to actually finish, though, with exams coming up and all that school crap. But I'm gonna give this a try, darnit.

I personally didn't know what a chupacabra was until I met someone that had that as part of their name. I used to respect Raichupacabra back at the Bode, now I respect Kafka "la Chupacabra". Odd coincidence.
(or is it?)