PDA

View Full Version : Wakarimasu hai, wakarimasu iie, wakarimasu enough to know wh

Nai_Calus
Apr 30, 2004, 10:20 PM
So nobody is on, I'm bored, and I'm feeling brave. Clearly this calls for a trip to Alcyone 6.

So I grab my HUcaseal, grab a map, get on, go to Alc 5, choice search my way onto block 6, and make a game appropriately titled 'C8' since that's the stage I was on and my 1-7 times don't really need that much work unless I want to get into TA. So I make my game, and I wait. HUcast shows up. JP, speaks fairly decent English. We wait, RAmar shows up. JP, speaks no English. We wait some more. The two start conversing in Japanese, which doesn't really bug me, I can follow it a bit. I see no reason to intrude on a conversation I only half understand, especially since I have my language settings on E because it takes me less time, obviously, to read english than it does katakana when I'm switching weapons quickly and the like. A couple minutes go by, and then I idly notice a turn in the conversation. Heh.

HUcast: "Doesn't speak Japanese"(The Japanese language tends to omit the subject if it's obvious, as it was in this case - Three people, I'm the gaijin)
HUcast: "Lucky"

From there it went into various insults about americans and gaijin and the like and wondering if I was competent. I wasn't sure whether to be insulted or amused. I should have typed something as pithy as I could manage in romaji, but I decided it was more fun to sit back and watch the show. Disk 6 was played, there are worse disks. Eventually another HUcast, this one US, shows up, and we start. US HUcast actually knows the map unlike the rest of us, unfortunately he gets DCed early on, leaving me as the only person with a map and thus any idea where to go, and only half the other people understand a word I'm saying. They also don't listen even when they do get it. >.>;

Also, I'm the only one who does the 'drop what you don't need in doorway to next room' thing. I get a single monomate throughout C8 that I managed to grab before everyone else(In the second to last area, no less - I'm already going through my Dimates), die three times(RAmar died the same three times, HUcast only died twice)... Daggers would have been nice, but when the HUcast gets 3rd-level Daggers to replace the 2nd-level daggers he'd been using, he doesn't drop the latter. He never uses the former, either. Meh. At least I managed to snag a nice 60% Hit Mechgun and a nice Lockgun. ._.

Nothing like soloing c-mode. >_>; At least we didn't fail. Our time sucked, though. 1'03"15. Meh, I'm still nowhere near 7 hours. Unless I get a worse C9 team, which would take work, I should still make S-rank time no problem. I'm not going to worry about TA my first time.

But yeah, nobody JP is going to read this, but be careful, regardless what language you speak, of what you say. Just because they don't let on that they can understand the gist of it doesn't mean they can't. >_>

'Swhat I get for being a gaijin. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

_Ted_
Apr 30, 2004, 10:32 PM
You should have said something to them!

Nai_Calus
Apr 30, 2004, 10:51 PM
I was having too much fun. XD

Murdercall
May 1, 2004, 03:24 AM
If someone was making fun of my country I wouldn't be having much fun : I would have flamed them and left the game so they would fail the challenge.

Arislan
May 1, 2004, 04:06 AM
Yes, but that just continues the cycle and makes them more likely to continue to antagonize in the future. Not the smart thing to do. Ian's not saying anything, besides telling them he understands what they are saying, was probably the best he could have done in this case.

Armok
May 1, 2004, 05:15 AM
If his setting where set on english their prob was no way he could have comunicated unless hes good with the word/phase delee.

Nai_Calus
May 1, 2004, 08:52 AM
The problem is that I'm not very good at word select under normal circumstances, and word select in challenge mode is different from word select in normal play. It's not as easy to find/say things you take for granted in normal mode... There's also no word select for things like "RAcast and HUmar, go North. I'll go South." >_>;

If we had been actually going with teamwork, one of them did speak enough English to understand any directions and relay them to the one who didn't...

Hmm. Since word select is more or less useless, I think I'll work out some directions I'm likely to use, translate them to JP as well as possible, and set them as shortcuts. >_>; I think I'll stop short of actually setting my language to JP, since I don't actually speak it, I just understand a little bit of it, and don't want to confuse anybody. That and my keyboard doesn't like to switch language modes(US keyboard with an adapter that works on US QWERTY layout), so even if I got people who spoke English, I wouldn't be able to communicate with them... Meh.

At any rate, yes, insulting them just reinforces stereotypes against Americans, so I remained silent, although I suppose I could have noted that I did understand a little. I also made sure to observe proper protocols, such as shooting traps for those who can't see them and leaving unneeded items in the doorway to the next room for the other players to collect... *shrug* Best I can really do is to try not to be a complete example of the clueless gaijin.

Murdercall
May 1, 2004, 04:18 PM
Best I can really do is to try not to be a complete example of the clueless gaijin.

Why not just stop playing with them? If the people you are playing with don't like you what's the point? You don't play a sport with a group of people that don't like you, do you? You play with people who like you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nai_Calus
May 1, 2004, 04:21 PM
On 2004-05-01 14:18, Murdercall wrote:

Best I can really do is to try not to be a complete example of the clueless gaijin.

Why not just stop playing with them? If the people you are playing with don't like you what's the point? You don't play a sport with a group of people that don't like you, do you? You play with people who like you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

There's a problem with this:

Very few people play C-mode.

Very few people play period at times I can actually get on.

Very few Japanese are willing to play with gaijin at -all-.

Most of the people I know have quit, moved entirely to Ep3, or are on at incompatible times.

I was lucky to get a team at all. >_<;

Scales_of_Air
May 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
Good move Ian, kudos to you at not holding up american stereotypes. There's really not much to do in that situation but let them wallow away in their ignorance until they realize that generalizations don't apply to everyone. *subtle applause to Ian*