PDA

View Full Version : NEXT PSO?

Omega_Nova
May 1, 2004, 07:55 AM
Theres rumors going around that a successor for the dreamcast could be unveiled at E3! The E-mail given to the press states that Sega has Big News!!! This could mean brand new PSO if this system is released! We'll have to wait and see!

Deathscythealpha
May 1, 2004, 08:59 AM
I would put off any hopes for a new Dreamcast for the minute, theres just to much competition for SEGA to take the plunge again. I expect SEGA's big announcement will be a 3D remake of some old game (hopefully the will continue the Chakan project they started on the DC)

DruidMettool
May 1, 2004, 10:02 AM
On 2004-05-01 06:59, Deathscythealpha wrote:
I expect SEGA's big announcement will be a 3D remake of some old game (hopefully the will continue the Chakan project they started on the DC)

I have a feeling it's going to be the Phantasy Star I, II, and IV remake they were working on for PS2.

Skett
May 1, 2004, 10:16 AM
Successor to the Dreamcast. I'm sure its just fanboy thinking. Sega left the hardware business for a good reason. Why would they go back to risk everything when they are making more money just making software? Besides, I think it would not do well against Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

Kent
May 1, 2004, 12:00 PM
Sega did make an announcement that they had enough money to produce, manufacture, and support another console, but never said anything about actually doing that.

Speculation at most. We'll have to wait until E3 to see how incorrect you are.

Mixfortune
May 1, 2004, 12:21 PM
On 2004-05-01 10:00, Kent wrote:
Sega did make an announcement that they had enough money to produce, manufacture, and support another console, but never said anything about actually doing that.

Someone may have seen that as well and either misread it or decided to play off of it when creating the rumor.

Also, however likely or unlikely the event that Sega release a new system anytime soon, it's pretty doubtful they will release a new PSO with it, at least not for a very long time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-05-01 10:22 ]</font>

RavenTW
May 1, 2004, 07:01 PM
And sadly, we all know the Dreamcast was better than the PS2 except for maybe Graphics.

I want a port of Alien Front Online and Outtrigger. Man those games ruled. Nothing but mindless carnage.

Uncle_bob
May 2, 2004, 03:41 PM
"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Wyndham
May 2, 2004, 03:45 PM
"if it aint broke, you're not trying."

Ness
May 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
E3 is coming up soon so we will have to wait and see, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sharkyland
May 2, 2004, 06:51 PM
*watches the seconds tick away* Curious, but not to the point where it's killing me.

Subliminalgroove
May 2, 2004, 07:26 PM
I don't think they are going to try another console until at least the next next generation... (did that make sense). Although I would LOVE to see anotherone as I have been a fangal since the mastersystem, I just don't see it happening.

Skett
May 2, 2004, 07:36 PM
Well, it might not be an actual new Sega system but...

"The announcement on May 12th at 10:00am PST will send shockwaves throughout the industry and will be an unprecedented first in the gaming market. Sega intends to form an alliance with a major console maker and co-develop the next generation console with them. In turn, all Sega games will be exclusive to that console and the Sega brand will be affixed to the front of the console much like a "Dolby Digital" logo. Yes, Sega is becoming a brand identification.

So no Dreamcast 2, No Alex Kidd Gamecube, No BS.

Cheers.

SegaInformant"

Thanks to MrGlubGlub on the 1UP.com's EGM board for this discovery. And if you check out the link below, you will see that many users (myself included) hope this is with Nintendo. This information originally came from the Sega.com forums. Please keep in mind that this is more or less just a rumor until Sega confirmes it themselves.

http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=egm_disc&message.id=167080

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-05-02 17:43 ]</font>

PJ
May 2, 2004, 07:44 PM
On 2004-05-02 17:36, Skett wrote:
And if you check out the link below, you will see that many users (myself included) hope this is with Nintendo.

Agreed.

*sees the future*

*something with... Sony? o_O Curses!*

Subliminalgroove
May 2, 2004, 08:15 PM
<shiver> as long as its not with microsoft. <shiver>

DruidMettool
May 2, 2004, 08:28 PM
Watch it be the N-Gage. I bet Sega has the balls to do it as an excuse to go bankrupt.

Kent
May 3, 2004, 07:42 AM
I'd rather see Sega be exclusive to Microsoft's next console than Nintendo's.

Regardless... Exclusivity means I won't have to buy all these consoles just to have access to all of Sega's great games (even though I'd end up getting them all anyway).

Outrider
May 3, 2004, 09:28 AM
Well, judging from the way most of Sega's games have been selling recently as well as their track record with the company, I wouldn't be surprised if they sided with Microsoft. It'd be a shame, though. They were really synching up with Nintendo for a while there.

Too bad the Wall Street Journal rumor from a few years ago saying Nintendo was gonna buy Sega as a second party wasn't true, eh?

Stingray
May 3, 2004, 09:44 AM
It would be best for them to sign out with Microsoft or Sony... why? because both of these companies already see the true future of gaming. Nintendo never caught on with the GC and it was dumb not to...

What is the future of gaming??? Multiplayer Online games... we all know it is true and their are plenty of games that prove this #1 being Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike has horrible graphics (compared to todays standereds) but playing it online (the only way you can play it) is addicting. CS has a strong following and has kept one without needing to be completely remade simply because it was a good online game.

Yes single player games still rock but to make a good single player game takes more than making a good multiplayer game, but multiplayer games can easily out sell single player only games (simply because in a single player game you need to focus more on graphics and other visal aids to increase the AWWW factor... in a muti-player game all you need to a good idea with out making it broken.)

SEGA would be best to side with MS or Sony just because they see what is the furture for gaming...

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 12:12 PM
On 2004-05-01 08:16, Skett wrote:
Successor to the Dreamcast. I'm sure its just fanboy thinking. Sega left the hardware business for a good reason. Why would they go back to risk everything when they are making more money just making software? Besides, I think it would not do well against Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

Because they were selling five or six times as much software when they were producing the Dreamcast as they are now.

With the next generation of consoles coming, this is an ideal time to get crackin'.

It's worth noting that Sammy, the company that bought out a significant portion of Sega, does indeed want Sega to develop another console (which was the buzz flying around about a year ago, now). Now that Sega is back on its feet again, it very well may be that it's going to happen, now-- so it genuinely IS a significant possibility.

Somehow though, I doubt that this is what this announcement is going to be. I do suspect that the announcement has already been overhyped, due to strong wording.

Outrider
May 3, 2004, 12:17 PM
According to a link on Penny-Arcade, Sega might just be involved in some arcade console, and that's all.

Ah, I love the translation factor in video game news.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 12:26 PM
On 2004-05-03 10:17, Outrider wrote:
According to a link on Penny-Arcade, Sega might just be involved in some arcade console, and that's all.

Ah, I love the translation factor in video game news.

Yeah... Now see, they never did stop developing arcade consoles. They've produced at least *one* new console that I'm aware of, since the announcement that they were leaving the hardware business.

And hey, the old Naomi board (very similar to the Dreamcast) is still rather popular with developers.

Outrider
May 3, 2004, 12:40 PM
Whatever happened with the Triforce board? When it was announced, it sounded like Nintendo, Namco and Sega were best of buds. Is it only being used for games like F-Zero AX and Star Fox 2? Heck, did F-Zero even end up coming out in the arcade in Japan? Is Star Fox still supposed to have an arcade release?

Gragh. Four-player arcade Star Fox would've been so cool, too.

EDIT: Even though I never would've gotten to play it or even seen it, for that matter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-05-03 10:41 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 12:45 PM
On 2004-05-03 10:40, Outrider wrote:
Whatever happened with the Triforce board? When it was announced, it sounded like Nintendo, Namco and Sega were best of buds. Is it only being used for games like F-Zero AX and Star Fox 2? Heck, did F-Zero even end up coming out in the arcade in Japan? Is Star Fox still supposed to have an arcade release?

Y'never know... Maybe this announcement relates to the Triforce board becoming a home console, in very much the same way the Naomi became the Dreamcast.

Or was it the other way around, and the Dreamcast became the Naomi...?

Swan
May 4, 2004, 01:54 PM
yay.

TheOneHero
May 9, 2004, 08:53 PM
I have had a theory for awhile now...and it goes something like this. Nintendo will slowly shrink into the shadows, sony and microsoft will duke it out and sega will slowly and carefully plan out everything so they dont mess up again....and then! one day when microsoft and sony have battled to hard for to long, Sega will rise up from the ashes! *sound effects here* and scream out, "I HAVE RETURNED!" microsft and sony will flee in terror shreiking as sega takes all and slowly owns a monopoly in the gaming industry and nintendo will go back to making playing cards "hope that dont happen" and Sega will rule the world! the end...spiffy aint it?