PDA

View Full Version : You're, your. Their, they're, there.

Uncle_bob
May 2, 2004, 03:03 PM
Come children, have a seat. Uncle is going to learn you some English.

Your - Used when saying if something belongs to "You". "I say, George, is this your pipe?"

You're - Verb, used when "you" is doing something. "You're not going to the store, Roberto."

Their - Used when saying if something belongs to a group of people. I.E., them. "Mommy-dearest, is this their soccer ball?"

They're - Verb, used when saying if a group of people are going to do something. I.E.,them. "Mister Smith, I believe that they're going to the restaurant later this afternoon."

There - Used when pointing out the location of something. "Oh my! Father, there is the missing glass!"

Good day.

Sef
May 2, 2004, 03:15 PM
What hath brought on this English lesson good Uncle?

Zaneatron
May 2, 2004, 03:23 PM
"you" is should be "you" are. theres always 1 mistake in this kind of thread http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Uncle_bob
May 2, 2004, 03:39 PM
To Sef: Uncle just got kinda annoyed..

To Zane: Uncle used "you" as a regular noun in that sentence. Much like as how you would use "dog" in a sentence.

Sharkyland
May 2, 2004, 06:40 PM
I would probably say 'you're' and 'they're' as a subject of a sentence, not a verb. You and they are pronouns while are is a linking verb.

Uncle_bob
May 2, 2004, 08:28 PM
Tis more of a verb, atleast in Uncle's opinion.

Nai_Calus
May 2, 2004, 08:50 PM
"...they are going to the store..."

How is this not proper English? Really.

It's like "I'm here." "I am here." See also "You're here." "You are here."

Don't forget the usual mauling of its and it's.

Cowboy
May 2, 2004, 08:54 PM
I want this to be stickied, and emailed to every address i can find.

Subliminalgroove
May 2, 2004, 09:24 PM
eh, I'm a graduate with a BA in English and I am not so concerned with this. Typing in this forum can be easily likened to casual conversation, where we say all sorts of things that would just sound strange if really analyzed. Granted, it can cause some confusion. But usually, if the person is coherent enough, the rest of the sentence gives you the context for how the word is used.

If this was a professional situation, it would be a different matter. But, as I said, casual typing. Correct grammar and spelling take a back seat to speed and ease of use for most people.

Nai_Calus
May 2, 2004, 09:52 PM
On 2004-05-02 19:24, Subliminalgroove wrote:
eh, I'm a graduate with a BA in English and I am not so concerned with this. Typing in this forum can be easily likened to casual conversation, where we say all sorts of things that would just sound strange if really analyzed. Granted, it can cause some confusion. But usually, if the person is coherent enough, the rest of the sentence gives you the context for how the word is used.

If this was a professional situation, it would be a different matter. But, as I said, casual typing. Correct grammar and spelling take a back seat to speed and ease of use for most people.

...Except that if someone types lIkE ThIs or like this with no punctuation or breaks and goes on for three pages with a single incoherent sentance full of slang and shorthand lik u n ur n m8 n ne1 i tend to think that they are a complete, total, utter waste of skin, as well as a flaming moron. >_>;

I'm sorry, but really, it does not take any more time or effort to type like an intelligent human being and not a completely brainless puddle of a ooze. >_>;;;

Subliminalgroove
May 2, 2004, 09:54 PM
On 2004-05-02 19:52, Ian-KunX wrote:

...Except that if someone types lIkE ThIs or like this with no punctuation or breaks and goes on for three pages with a single incoherent sentance full of slang and shorthand lik u n ur n m8 n ne1 i tend to think that they are a complete, total, utter waste of skin, as well as a flaming moron. >_>;

Then that's not very coherent, is it? Which was kind of the crux of my statement.

KodiaX987
May 2, 2004, 10:05 PM
Those types of mistakes won't kill me, but they nevertheless eventually piss me off, and thus the theorem is the following:

These types of mistakes will kill the one who makes 'em. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
May 2, 2004, 10:07 PM
On 2004-05-02 19:54, Subliminalgroove wrote:

On 2004-05-02 19:52, Ian-KunX wrote:

Then that's not very coherent, is it? Which was kind of the crux of my statement.

...Which was also my point. You seemed to be implying that it was OK to type like that, as long as it was coherent. I fail to see how that sort of typing can ever be coherent. Really, the shift key is not hard to press. Neither is the . key.

Subliminalgroove
May 2, 2004, 10:27 PM
On 2004-05-02 20:07, Ian-KunX wrote:
...Which was also my point. You seemed to be implying that it was OK to type like that, as long as it was coherent. I fail to see how that sort of typing can ever be coherent. Really, the shift key is not hard to press. Neither is the . key.

The point I was trying to get across, perhaps I was not clear enough, was that the use of "your" in place of "you're" (or vise-versa), and so on, is not such a heinous crime as long as the individual is piecing together a reasonably coherent sentence. For example: You're statement above is well thought out. Obviously I have used the word "You're" incorrectly, yet any buffoon can understand what I am implying.

I agree with you that typing in 1337, AlTeRnAtInG CaPs, and eschewing the use of punctuation marks is frustrating and makes any statement incomprehensible. I was refering to the swapping of the words in the manner which Bob noted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Subliminalgroove on 2004-05-02 20:28 ]</font>

WraithVerge
May 3, 2004, 12:35 AM
lol oh god.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The internet and the wonders of spelling and grammar.

While I agree with Uncle and I try my best to spell things correctly and use grammar properly, the only reason why I see people use "there" instead of the other words is because it is the most used word and easiest to type. TYPE, not write. And the thing with "it's" and "its".... if a person doesn't give a damn about spelling and grammar, it's easier to leave the ' out of the contraction than to put it in.

Cuz really, do u CARE nuff bout others typing 2 try n correct em? i no this is a rant bout people that DO type like this but there isnt much you can do bout there typing when the person your trying to correct doesnt give a damn. i type this up like 30 sec i think. interent lets me leave things out so i can type fast 2 get my point across or annoy u easier this way.

(Ack.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chuck-ball.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-05-02 22:36 ]</font>

Kent
May 3, 2004, 07:36 AM
I always use proper english to ensure that I have the highest chance of getting my point across.

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2004, 10:36 AM
Actually, from what I understand 'its' is actually correct in many situations. Perhaps Sub can correct me if I'm wrong?

And yes, I see what you mean now, Sub. It wasn't quite clear to me before.

English is a retarded language anyway. We should all be speaking Japanese. ^_^

PJ
May 3, 2004, 10:51 AM
On 2004-05-03 08:36, Ian-KunX wrote:

Or Spanish ^-^

Hola seņior! *can't wait to take Spanish next semester*

(I don't tihnk this board supports Spanish @_@)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2004-05-03 08:54 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2004, 10:56 AM
No, not Spanish. Anything but Spanish. Really, does everything -need- a gender? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Arislan
May 3, 2004, 12:10 PM
The place where people get messed up on it's and its is believing that "it's" is a possessive, so saying "it's pages" when speaking of a book is correct. However, it's is just a contraction, short for "it is", and does not represent a possessive noun.

Outrider
May 3, 2004, 12:19 PM
On 2004-05-03 08:36, Ian-KunX wrote:
Actually, from what I understand 'its' is actually correct in many situations. Perhaps Sub can correct me if I'm wrong?

And yes, I see what you mean now, Sub. It wasn't quite clear to me before.

Screw English and Japanese. We should be speaking Esperanto like William Shatner.

LadyRedComet
May 3, 2004, 02:35 PM
On 2004-05-03 08:56, Ian-KunX wrote:
No, not Spanish. Anything but Spanish. Really, does everything -need- a gender? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

How about sixteen? I heard of an African language (in a book on linguistics and languages of the world) that has sixteen different genders for its words. Yeesh...

Bender202
May 3, 2004, 04:45 PM
I cOuLd PeRsOnAlLy cArE lEsS wHaT lAnGuAgE i Or ThE aNyBoDy ElSe SpEaKs, As LoNg As My PoInT iS gEtTn To Em http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

***wow the only thing more annoying than typing that is tryn to read it***

Rainbowlemon
May 4, 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm with you Uncle, but I would like to make an addition:

To borrow - To GET something to use for a time, with the promise to give it back afterwards.

To lend - To allow a person to use something of yours for a short time.

Itch (noun) - An itching feeling.

Scratch (verb) - To rub the skin with fingernails or claws because it ITCHES.

[i]Taken from my Oxford School Dictionary.

Please please please don't get these mixed up, for the sake of all that's English in this world http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sharkyland
May 4, 2004, 11:51 AM
As long as I can understand you, and you can understand me, then we are good to go!