PDA

View Full Version : Oh bless those american troops

Saladwood
May 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=TMAL4NZJI5ZGSCRBAEOCF FA?type=topNews&storyID=5014060

they always do such great work

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 12:16 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/03/iraq.photos/index.html

I'm getting rather annoyed with the media's continued coverage of the negative events in Iraq.

Yes folks, let's plaster the negative news all over everyone's faces with apoxy, and let the positive details concerning progress in the fine print.

Bastards.

LollipopLolita
May 3, 2004, 12:27 PM
positive details aside (some might argue the validity of this statement), no one has the right to do that

now if there weren't negative events, there won't be any to report.

things that make you go hmmm

Saladwood
May 3, 2004, 12:30 PM
and please, they cover up SO much of the negative media. the ONLY reason those officers got ANY reprimand was because they were SHOWN IN A VIDEO MAKING THOSE PRISONERS DO THOSE THINGS. I would bet good money that the camera man got of scott free because he wasn't shown in the video!

If that video wasn't shown on Iraqi TV, you wouldn't have heard about it.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 01:01 PM
On 2004-05-03 10:27, LollipopLolita wrote:
positive details aside (some might argue the validity of this statement), no one has the right to do that

now if there weren't negative events, there won't be any to report.

things that make you go hmmm

Naturally, the negative events are indeed worth covering, but on the other hand, I'm getting tired of seeing, "Two more US Soldiers dead!" on the big headline on the front page of CNN.com every day, then looking around a bit more to find stuff relating toward Iraq's progress toward independence in the smaller headlines, and otherwise more difficult to locate.

I mean, every time someone dies over there, there's a huge headline on it, but if someone makes a brief treaty, it takes a back seat. Something's just not right, here.

LollipopLolita
May 3, 2004, 01:03 PM
because people would rather read about how many people die than look up their world atlas to see where the other countries are.

again, some might argue your statement about iraq's progress towards independence. if only people here know of other news sources

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-05-03 11:04 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
May 3, 2004, 01:15 PM
On 2004-05-03 11:03, LollipopLolita wrote:
because people would rather read about how many people die than look up their world atlas to see where the other countries are.

Yeah... It's all about ratings, really; which seems a crime. If this sort of focus is maintained, then before long, The New York Times will be indistinguishable from an extra thick edition of World News Weekly.

Dangerous55
May 3, 2004, 03:02 PM
Yup, it was every American soldier too.......

Please keep ONE thread:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=81642&forum=11&start=0

Scales_of_Air
May 3, 2004, 03:15 PM
On 2004-05-03 10:16, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/03/iraq.photos/index.html

I'm getting rather annoyed with the media's continued coverage of the negative events in Iraq.

Yes folks, let's plaster the negative news all over everyone's faces with apoxy, and let the positive details concerning progress in the fine print.

Bastards.

I completely agree Meira... Those shits in the news media... Why is it that society seems to thrive off of the pain of others? I'm tired of seeing "Deadliest Attack in Iraq Today" and who's died recently. Do they think the families appreciate having their lost posted in the media like some damn advertisment? I wouldn't... My girlfriend's father is in the military, and luckily he's safely at home but I'd be mortified if something happened to him and even more so if the news media threw it out in the public like some hot commodity. They invade the personal lives of everyone who has lost someone in this war - It's like gossip now.

I don't watch television anymore, I grew tired it a long time ago. Worst of all, it captures the majority of America's society; for some reason, we like to see these things, and that's why the news media still exists... I don't want to live here and be stereotyped as if I also enjoy looking at the misery of others... But is it better anywhere else?

Shattered_weasel
May 3, 2004, 03:40 PM
I am going to say this again. Not all US soldiers are like this. My father who is retired called them a dipshits. And the guy im living with now is right now in Iraq(so im not really living with him). Also said they got some major asschewing.

This is just a select few.

Ness
May 3, 2004, 04:31 PM
This is old news. As for the news only being negative, they tried positive news, but nobody watched it.

Guile
May 3, 2004, 09:14 PM
People love negative news, especially people who were against going to war in the first place. They just want to see American Troops fuck up. No one wants to read about the troops taking over a city that they never heard of, they much rather read how an American accidently shot a young Iraq in the leg! (example)

derBauer
May 4, 2004, 12:47 AM
On 2004-05-03 10:27, LollipopLolita wrote:
positive details aside (some might argue the validity of this statement)

Yeah, those people are called idiots.

DarthFomar
May 4, 2004, 01:09 AM
I have no opinion...other than that is just silly...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kevlar_pso
May 4, 2004, 12:11 PM
On 2004-05-03 11:03, LollipopLolita wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-05-03 11:04 ]</font>

Personally I don't think it's as much about ppl wantin to read this or that about who died and how many. It's just the liberal media tryin to influence popular opinion of the war. If the media can use this to turn enough ppls against Bush, then Kerry will win. Of course troops will die. IT'S WAR. Messed up stuff will happen, IT'S WAR. I'm not sayin that this justifies our troops or theirs in doin whatever they want. Just that this is war and it will happen.

Aren't we there to liberate the Iraqis and give them democracy? Where is the news on the progress there? Is it front page? Nope. I preferr to listen to talk radio to get away from the liberal print and programing. While it may be more conservative, if Bush or any1 on the right messes up, they will let them have it as well.

I know this could start a conservative/liberal flame war. If you really have a problem, call Bill O'Reily or Rush and vent on them. I'm too tired to put up much of a fight anyways. lol

LollipopLolita
May 4, 2004, 01:05 PM
On 2004-05-03 13:40, Shattered_weasel wrote:
is just a select few.

yes but sadly the select few also represent the whole collective and aren't doing a good job of it.

just because people don't agree with your opinions doesn't make them idiots. it does however make you narrowminded.

It's just the liberal media tryin to influence popular opinion of the war.

some would say it's conservative

Aren't we there to liberate the Iraqis and give them democracy?

and some others disagree

so oh well!!!

i'd rather go eat right now

derBauer
May 4, 2004, 04:16 PM
On 2004-05-04 11:05, LollipopLolita wrote:

just because people don't agree with your opinions doesn't make them idiots. it does however make you narrowminded.

Uhhh, no actually only a complete fucking idiot would say that there has been nothing good done over there. You might want to check to make sure you're not one of them. Or too narrowminded to see anything good. You pick.

And since I know you are too pissed off at everything Bush does and you probably hate the US on top of that, here is a link to just one good thing:
http://www.operationiraqichildren.org/

I win.

Zebulan7
May 5, 2004, 04:45 PM
First off, to be on topic, if what has been reported is true, its wrong. Anything of "that nature" is wrong. I think those responcible, if discovered without the video, would be punished, and there would be no cover-up, of sorts. I'm tired of these assumtions that all government institutions are all about cover-up. Ugh.

On a different tune, yeah, the news is twisted. As much as we can say "people prefer the good news," we have people here saying they look hard for the good news. Maybe some of you do prefer bad news, but I prefer the good news. Sure, the bad news must come, but simply not informing the public about it is wrong. My city's newspaper never has such good news printed, for some odd reason, small article or not. This irks me.

I also must say, the way you presented this topic, Saladwood, was wrong.

I must say: Yes, God bless our troops. God bless them for what they are doing, and protect them. I want my friends to come back, I want to see them again, alive. I think our troops need our support, not our disgust because of what a few people decided to do. Lets get the job done.

http://www.friendsofadrian.org/

lain2k3
May 5, 2004, 06:57 PM
Alright, I'm gonna be a complete idiot.

Nothing good has come of invading Iraq.

The people would be better off if Saddam was still in power, he kept the civil wars to a minimum. He was not an imminent threat to anyone, barley even to Iraqs population. The people of Iraq are not better, and in most cases, worse off than before, when they had at least a strong centeral Gov't that kept some degree of order.

Dubya needs to be sent to Iraq. or assassinated.

Ness
May 5, 2004, 07:38 PM
The liberal controlled media thing is just a myth. The media is controlled by no one.

Zebulan7
May 5, 2004, 08:11 PM
First, to respond to Ness: The media is controlled by someone, whether of one particular party or not is up to debate. Many news programs are hosted by certain anchors (Jennings, Kurich, etc), and they usually run their own show to investigate things. Even on news programs, they decide what news to air. The news is not necesarrily(sp) biased, but what we are told is. Its basically an inverse censorship of the press, to put it plainly.

Second, on the comment on wether or not Iraq is better off or not. Such turbulance is part of a transition, and the resistance is by a minority. Sure, Iraq is a war torn nation currently, and we have set ourselves to fixing it. I have never considered living in fear better off. I could even move to suggest that you believe that Iraq is not better off because you have not heard the progress we have made. I guess this could be linked back to media bias.

Also, suggesting assassination of anyone is horrible. Assassinating Bush would only worsen our situation, as we would have internal toil ravaging our own country, which we have sought to prevent. Maybe its you who should go to Iraq?

Uncle_bob
May 5, 2004, 08:19 PM

How does it make him narrowminded if they don't agree with his opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Bradicus
May 5, 2004, 08:47 PM
On 2004-05-05 18:19, Uncle_bob wrote:

How does it make him narrowminded if they don't agree with his opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

I think she was refirring to the fact that he resorted to insults instead of being civil. Just a minor misprint.

As for the media: I have a theory that it is truely controlled by a warped version of the general public. It gives us what we "want" to hear (eg. death, murder, rape). The media may be a bunch of vultures preying on the woes of the world for ratings, but we give it that power.

lain2k3
May 5, 2004, 10:16 PM
On 2004-05-05 18:11, Zebulan7 wrote:

Also, suggesting assassination of anyone is horrible. Assassinating Bush would only worsen our situation, as we would have internal toil ravaging our own country, which we have sought to prevent. Maybe its you who should go to Iraq?

yeah, I know. But he needs to be removed from office.

Kerry sucks less.

And gore won.

><

Swan
May 7, 2004, 02:42 PM
last time I checked, the americans were beating up innocent iraq dudes. yes i'm canadian.

Vanango
May 8, 2004, 02:03 AM
If we like them, they're freedom fighters... If we don't like them, they're terrorists. In the unlikely case we can't make up our minds, they're temporarily only guerrillas.

in any event patriotism is a person's conviction that their country is superior to all others because they were born in it.

DarthFomar
May 8, 2004, 02:06 AM
On 2004-05-08 00:03, Vanango wrote:
If we like them, they're freedom fighters... If we don't like them, they're terrorists. In the unlikely case we can't make up our minds, they're temporarily only guerrillas.

in any event patriotism is a person's conviction that their country is superior to all others because they were born in it.

Lol....patriotism...is to love or respect your country. I am an American Patriot. Yet I have no hatred toward other countrys, nor do I think I am better. I am also unbelievably obsessed with Japan.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Vanango
May 8, 2004, 02:14 AM
On 2004-05-08 00:06, DarthFomar wrote:

Lol....patriotism...is to love or respect your country. I am an American Patriot. Yet I have no hatred toward other countrys, nor do I think I am better. I am also unbelievably obsessed with Japan.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

it's one thing to love your country, another to be devoted.

DarthFomar
May 8, 2004, 02:17 AM
Same thing...almost. Devotion is just about *just about* the same thing as love in some ways.

So if you are obsessed with your country than you maybe *MAYBE* are a little arrogant and think you rise above all else that stand before you. But that just isn't that case. No one is better than anyone. In fact ppl are no greater than the dog sh!t that sits on the side of the road sometimes *but only sometimes*. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif just thought I'd try to metaphor or some junk for ya. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ness
May 8, 2004, 06:21 AM
On 2004-05-05 18:11, Zebulan7 wrote:
First, to respond to Ness: The media is controlled by someone, whether of one particular party or not is up to debate. Many news programs are hosted by certain anchors (Jennings, Kurich, etc), and they usually run their own show to investigate things. Even on news programs, they decide what news to air. The news is not necesarrily(sp) biased, but what we are told is. Its basically an inverse censorship of the press, to put it plainly.

They have done siceintific studies on this and all of them sadi that the media being controlled by a certain party is a bunch of BS.

Zebulan7
May 10, 2004, 08:01 AM
Well, I never said it was controlled by a specific party, just that news tends to dwell on the worser aspects of things, and that sombody does have control over what is put on the news.

One thing that distrubs me is that when the media reports someone has been killed, now they take it down to the place where they are from. Sometimes the media reports it before the army can tell the family, because the bodies are on their way home. I speak from experience.

and I quote

"The War in Iraq has cost the life of another in our area. ******** was stationed in *******.... And now to another hour long music..."

It was not comforting to his wife.

Besides, who did these reshearches?

this is getting completly off topic...

00JOE
May 10, 2004, 07:34 PM
A few soldiers do something, so all the other American soldiers are exactly the same. If you assume something like that, then you don't deserve to live. Why is W. apologizing? A few Iraqis dragged dead America bodies through a street and hung them from a bridge. I don't know, what do you think is worse?