PDA

View Full Version : Road runner?

Miroku77
May 5, 2004, 11:57 PM
what adaptor should i buy for Road runner internet access??

TY in advance. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif

VioletSkye
May 6, 2004, 11:37 AM
You will need to get the BBA (broadband adaptor.)

Miroku77
May 6, 2004, 10:29 PM
what about AOL?

EJ
May 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
if it aol BB then you need a BBA if it's the dialup one then you need the dialup adapter

VioletSkye
May 6, 2004, 11:04 PM
AOL dialup isn't directly compatible, so in both cases he will need the BBA and a crossover cable to get his GC online with ICS.

Miroku77
May 6, 2004, 11:28 PM
what is ISC? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miroku77 on 2004-05-06 21:29 ]</font>

VioletSkye
May 6, 2004, 11:44 PM
Internet Connection Sharing. Basically you share your pc's internet with your GC. I'm not familiar with AOL cable however. If you can access the internet without logging on and without using their proprietary software, then you may be able to do either a direct connect or use something like a router or hub.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-05-06 21:45 ]</font>

Miroku77
May 6, 2004, 11:46 PM
so you cant get online with a modem adaptor if you have AOL???

BTW what is a cross over cable? does it have one end of a phone cord and the ohter end of a ethernet cable?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miroku77 on 2004-05-06 21:47 ]</font>

VioletSkye
May 6, 2004, 11:52 PM
On 2004-05-06 21:46, Miroku77 wrote:
so you cant get online with a modem adaptor if you have AOL???

BTW what is a cross over cable? does it have one end of a phone cord and the ohter end of a ethernet cable?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miroku77 on 2004-05-06 21:47 ]</font>

In the US, you will not be able to get online with AOL dialup unless you use ICS (which means the modem will not work.) A crossover cable looks like a regular cat5 cable but the end pins are different. Basically what it does is properly line up the send and receive pins so that two physically connected machines can communicate with each other.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-05-06 21:53 ]</font>

Miroku77
May 6, 2004, 11:58 PM
so...
insted of just pluging the cable into your wall, you have to run it through your computer with a crossover cable?

I can go online with my DSL line, but my best game friend has AOL and has been wanting to get the online adaptor. He finally got the courage to buy one so he bought a modem cause he dosent have Ethernet cable internet access. He got the adaptor, and now he can't even go online. *mumbles swear words under breath*

Now his parents are thinking of getting Road Runner, should he get a Broadband adaptor and wait???

(and is there any way to get online with a Broadband adaptor with AOL...
he only has the dial up AOL

VioletSkye
May 7, 2004, 12:04 AM
On 2004-05-06 21:58, Miroku77 wrote:
so...
insted of just pluging the cable into your wall, you have to run it through your computer with a crossover cable?

The crossover cable would go between your Gamecube and your PC'c nic. If you don't have AOL, then you normally do not need to use ICS. ICS is really only for AOL and other ISP's that require special software to connect. You persoanlly should be able to use a direct connect or a router/hub.

I can go online with my DSL line, but my best game friend has AOL and has been wanting to get the online adaptor. He finally got the courage to buy one so he bought a modem cause he dosent have Ethernet cable internet access. He got the adaptor, and now he can't even go online. *mumbles swear words under breath*

Now his parents are thinking of getting Road Runner, should he get a Broadband adaptor and wait???

If he is likely to get RR, then I would suggest getting the BBA and returning the modem (since the modem won't work with AOL anyway.)

(and is there any way to get online with a Broadband adaptor with AOL...
he only has the dial up AOL

If he has dialup AOL then he would still need the BBA and a crossover cable.

Miroku77
May 7, 2004, 12:13 AM
where could you get a Crossover cable?

VioletSkye
May 7, 2004, 12:15 AM
Pretty much anyplace that sells pc stuff. Best Buy, Comp USA, Circuit City, Radio Shack etc. Any of those will carry crossover cables (also called patch cables.)

Miroku77
May 7, 2004, 12:21 AM
ok...ty

now with the crossover cable, where does it plug into. Computer, phone jack? where? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

VioletSkye
May 7, 2004, 12:28 AM
Remember that the crossover cable will only be needed for AOL and other ISP's that use their own software. If you aren't using AOL, then you don't need a crossover cable. If you are asking for your friend then he would first need to enable ICS on his pc. To do that follow the instructions in the Sticky Topic at the top of the Tech Support forum. Then the crossover cable will go from the BBA port to the pc's NIC (network interface card) which will have a port that is slightly larger than the dialup one.

Miroku77
May 7, 2004, 12:51 AM
how do you get a NIC???

Is it built in to your computer?
Do you have to buy it ???
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Dhylec
May 7, 2004, 09:22 AM
a nic is a network card for your pc..
you can buy it at any computer store.. for around $10

Rich_T
May 7, 2004, 11:52 AM
Ay-up, this ones rambling on a bit.
'tis a nice day for a walk, so lets go:

Youve got the BBA havent you?
look at the socket on it, the one that sticks out of your gamecube, see it?
now look on the back of your P.C, the bit with all the wires poking out, can you see a socket thats the same shape as the one on your gamecube BBA?
if so then thats a Network interface card (NIC)
quite a few P.Cs have the Network card built in on the main circuit board.

CoPsOleader
May 20, 2004, 12:36 PM
So aol RR wont work with the GC?

Inuyasha777
May 25, 2004, 03:29 AM
Thank you Miroku77 for asking about the RR and thanks to every one els of ansering all the questons.