PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Mode, Why Do You Hate Me So?

Mixfortune
May 6, 2004, 12:37 AM
Ok, this is my first rant topic I've made, and I'm only really making this so that I don't have to take it out on something else... which I suppose is a reason for ranting anyways.

So... I decided I wanted to get some Episode II S-Ranks, and so try to get on Alcyone (however it's spelled) 6, but it is either overcrowded or there are about 3 people on it. So today I just decided to sit there for hours so that I will be in once it picks up a little.

After perhaps an hour someone wants to play E2C1, which is what I needed to do as well. It was my first time playing E2C1 (thanks for putting up with my random walking, Sharkyland), but I learn the stages fairly quickly, provided I carry out the same tasks the next time the characters split.

It was decent the first time, and we ended up with 2 scapes at the end (I think we missed one of the extras). We blew off the head armor fairly quickly, and did decent damage afterwards, but ended up failing.

So I was sitting around again. After a while someone wanted to play E1C1, so I figured I may as well, since I didn't even have RA-Gou on this newly created character. 11 minutes... not terribly bad.

Shortly after one of the people who played the E1C1 joined me for another try at E2C1. Again, we ended up getting to Barba Ray with two scapes remaining. This time we ran completely out of scapes against Barba Ray, and I ended up dying (I thought I was well out of the range of its raft landing move).

So I go back once again to waiting for another go at E2C1. After some amount of time someone logs in and asks if anyone wants to play C1. I ask if they want to play E2, and so we create a game for another E2C! try. This time we end up with 3 HUcaseals and... a FOnewm -_-. I was thinking it wouldn't be too big of a problem, though.

I start loading up the stage. The two other HUcaseals haven't played E2 Cmode before, and the FOnewm said he had no experience in Cmode. I myself had only started to play E2C1 today as well, so needless to say I hoped my memory skills would serve me well :|

Although the FOnewm lost his scape on Area 2 or 3, we did fairly well. Another person lost a scape, and we grabbed the extra one by one of the switches in one of the later areas. One of the HUcaseals had to leave, so we had 3 scapes for 3 people and a fair amount of monomates, as well as three decently percentages daggers.

All of a sudden I'm getting really hopeful as we near the end of Area 6. About 15 or so minutes away from completing the stage, up comes the message:

Server Maintainence in 10 minutes. Please quit all games immidiately (or something to that affect, whatever the Server Maintainence message is).

GAH!

Oh well, at least it was only 7 hours spent...
At least now I know E2C1 fairly well... but still... GAH!

Nai_Calus
May 6, 2004, 06:46 AM
You failed it 3 times and still haven't passed it? XD

Then again, I shouldn't talk, my time is like... 1'59"something. XP

One HUcast, one HUcaseal, one December morning not long after a server maint, two hours, so damned many Monomates I actually fed one to my Mag for the sake of doing something with it... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Good times.

OK~! C-mode pointers:

Get a map. Use the map. PSOW has maps, look at them. They will help you suck far less.

Try to have at least one other English-speaking player, and pray the JP with you know what they're doing. Communication is maddening at best.

Play with people you know so that when they/you screw up, you're with people you feel comfortable yelling at/being yelled at by.

*nods sagely*

I'll volunteer to help you if you can deal with my semi-n00bishness, but not until next week after finals. XP

Mixfortune
May 6, 2004, 12:32 PM
Good pointers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I have the map fairly memorized now, except for the Stage where you have to find 4 laser barrier switches. I had planned on printing the maps before (as I had done with E1 stages), but my printer was out of ink, bleh.

All of the players I played with were English speaking.

Tried it a fourth time and failed again. RAcast got smaashed by the crushers twice, or at least something that took over 3/4ths of his health o_o.

While I now tried it four times, the third time wasn't necessarily a failure on the teams behalf, since we had to leave the game due to server maintenence. Fourth try we were doing pretty well off, at least I was getting the hang of the Temple Stage. Only really got hit two or three times in 4 stages.

I will try my luck again today.
Hopefully the rest of the stages won't be as aggravating! Not the stage itself, but the close call failures, bleh.

Sharkyland
May 8, 2004, 08:08 PM
I think I failed with you once. ;_; I was the RAmarl, though we'll beat Cmode Episode 2...

Firocket1690
May 9, 2004, 08:29 AM
*deep sigh*

So that's why theren't any more good Challenge players in Alycone 6 anymore ...
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Nai_Calus
May 9, 2004, 08:50 AM
Because Mix was trying to find someone competent to play with? XP

What, exactly, are you saying, Firo? XP

Firocket1690
May 9, 2004, 09:57 PM
On 2004-05-09 06:50, Ian-KunX wrote:
Because Mix was trying to find someone competent to play with? XP

What, exactly, are you saying, Firo? XP

All of the players I played with were English speaking.
Admit it, majority do suck.
Very first time on GC c1 was 7 min something with three japanese people.

I've had some rather difficult expierences with us players. =/

Personally, the language barrier isn't too much of a problem, but they have skill, and most know what they're donig.

astuarlen
May 9, 2004, 10:30 PM
I feel for ya, Mix. It's not E2C1 I've had problems with, but E2C2. Out of seven attempts... 0 successes. *shakes fist* It's always that stupid Gol Dragon's fault. >_< I don't understand how I can fail 7 times without actually being the one to die with no scapes! (Except for one time when I suicided w/ consent of team because it wasn't going well at all. :/) I know the map well, at least. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nai_Calus
May 10, 2004, 02:51 AM
Hah, when I did C8 on Alc 6, the sole truly competent member of the team was the other US player. XP

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

There are good US players, and there are shitty JP players. Don't generalize.

Sharkyland
May 10, 2004, 10:25 AM
I'm okay at challenge mode though I'm not the best at there is, but I'm okay though I am not playing with my RAmarl anymore, she's weak as anything. ;_; Though I will teach newbies about Cmode if they are willing to do it.

Scejntjynahl
May 10, 2004, 10:38 AM
I admit, I'm one of those lousy US players Firo is talking about. Unfortunately there are fewer players left to play in Cmode. Most are either on eps3 or some other online game *cough*.

Which puts me at odds, I want to help, but I dont want to contribute to lousy time for those who know what they are doing.

So, if I do join, I follow the leader like gum on a shoe.

I just finished Cmode One with 16 min and 33 seconds. Not bad, but I woulndt know.

And to those who are PRO *coughfirocough* be patient with those who are new, and given a chance we could be of a great asset. Just give a little patience.