PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe

Pages : 1 2 [3]

kazuma56
Mar 23, 2005, 10:13 PM
On 2005-03-23 09:48, Solstis wrote:
Just me, or does it look like the same exact game idea, but with more people and better graphics?

I think that they will include all the old levels for nostalgia reasons, why not, it takes time off of creating new stages.

And if anything that IGN/Gamespot has said about it from that shonenJump thing is true, the game is supposed to span 3 worlds in the Grail system, so one of the 3 worlds might very well have Forest/Caves/mines and ruins, but the other 2 stages will probably be totally different.

And vehicles are also supposed to make their way into the game so does that mean we would need that driller from PSIV to get to caves? and then some sort of land/sea vehicle to get to a mining factory?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2005-03-23 19:13 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 23, 2005, 10:36 PM
Since when the fuck was powerful hardware a requirement for entertaining games? Oh FUCK, Phantasy Star IV isn't in 3D with voice acting and a billion polygons! It must suck shit!

And the reverse fanboying in this thread is ludicrous. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it's not coming out on the console you spend your nights wanking off against. When are you people going to figure out that a good game can be made on any platform, including, gasp, the PS2!

Hell, people are still making homebrews for the Atari 2600 that own the fuck out of the regurgitated trash companies puke out these days, so what the fuck does power have to do with anything? Oh shit, the PS2 can only do this much while that other console can do that much! So fucking what?

Quit whining and puling, maggots. Sega is not going to come give you a blowjob and put it on GC or Xbox or your old NES sitting in the corner just because you hate the PS2.

Whether or not it's well-designed and balanced, with good gameplay and story... That's what will make it a good game or a bad game, not what console it's on. Honestly, grow up and go play some fucking Duck Hunt.

And yes, I do own a PS2 in addition to my gamecube. I do not own an Xbox. Why? No games that interest me. I don't care how good the console is, if there's nothing I'm going to play on it.

So! To recap!

The PS2 will not eat your children, and PSU coming out on it is not the end of the world.

Stop being so goddamned shallow.

There's this mysterious thing I've heard rumours of lately... I believe it was called 'sunlight'. I've heard that it has some amazing properties. Maybe you should check it out?

PJ
Mar 23, 2005, 10:51 PM
It's not really that we (Or atleast it's my case, I) hate the PS2, but that PSO, Episode 1-3 was all on the GC. So it's kind of expected that they'd continue that trend.

If PS1-3 was put on Genesis, and PS4 had been put onto the SNES (I know, impossible since Sega was a console developer at the time, jsut an example), people would have been angry because there is a fanbase on the Genesis for this particular series.

I dunno if I'm even making sense to myself. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

But, again, I'm only speaking for myself.

Dhylec
Mar 23, 2005, 11:03 PM
guys, please keep the console wars out of this sticky
i'd hate to see this nice big thread shot down in flames =|

Outrider
Mar 23, 2005, 11:17 PM
Eh, don't worry. Ian's just trying to get some attention. It's about that time of the week.

See, I'm more upset because making a game on the PS2 is not going to show us anything knew. It's got no harddrive, it's a weak system - it's dead, for the most part. Heck, developers don't even like programming for the system. It's being put onto the PS2 solely for the fact that it's the guaranteed money-maker.

Of course, that IS a good reason. A much better business decision than putting it on the Gamecube, and maybe the X-Box. Everybody needs to put food on their table, and more money is good for Sega. Some people just feel a little betrayed.

I just can't wrap my head around them making a game for a system in this generation, though. If it's supposed to be an ongoing online RPG, wouldn't it make sense to put it on a system that's going to be around in two or three years?

Skuda
Mar 23, 2005, 11:18 PM
looks like PSU's (hopefully) NPC's names are Ethan Ever, and Karen Ella (or era).

and I assume hunters are called "guardians" now.

this is really starting to remind me of FF8...

shinobu_seta
Mar 24, 2005, 01:06 AM
And yes, I do own a PS2 in addition to my gamecube. I do not own an Xbox. Why? No games that interest me. I don't care how good the console is, if there's nothing I'm going to play on it.

This is the reason I don't have a PS2, there just aren't any games that interest me. I like 2D fighters a lot, but all of the good ones came out years ago on the Dreamcast already.

Think you could cut down on the cursing? Not only is it offensive but it makes you look like an idiot and a child. Maybe you're joking? I don't know, but maybe if you had some of this "sunlight" you speak of, you wouldn't get so worked up over a message board on the internet.

Now, to actually contribute something to the thread; Does anyone have the new EGM yet? They said that it should be hitting the subscribers by now. I hope that it includes some type of poster like the old PSO issue of EGM did.

If the grail system is at war, could this mean that there could be some Player vs. Player combat thrown into the mix? I'm sure there will eventually be a battle mode since PSO had it. But maybe there could be something that actually contributes to the story?

AzureBlaze
Mar 24, 2005, 02:00 AM
ARGH!
Why'd they have to update the site only in flash? You can't copy and paste out of flash and into babelfish to get horribly wacky translations! I am not after horribly wacky translations, but at this point I will take anything I can get.

I got mad and tried to translate it myself, but they crammed in so many of those complicated katakana as to make it impossible on purpose. There's no way you can look up symbols like that...soooo frusterating. I started with the names and got something very diff from the above post
"NormalKid" I-Sa-So-U-E-Ba
"Newman Girl" "Ka-Re-E-Ra"

The worst part is knowing how long they're going to UTTERLY IGNORE the english side. If they keep to their track record, we'll be lucky to even get a peep out of it a week before the official release. Fans don't like to translate because the language is too difficult and it takes too long. Who can memorize 2000 different (yet shockingly similar looking) bundles of lines?

Also the guy...is rather normal looking. I mean, you see dudes like this in the mall. Granted sans the "Belly Shirt"...but still. Also to notice: he is dual weilding with diff weps. (not knives like she has) I've always wanted to dual weild...

faceless
Mar 24, 2005, 03:19 AM
read this on gaming-age forums:

Originally Posted by john tv:
The new EGM is out to subscribers today -- a friend of mine got an early copy (I guess they're showing up in mailboxes as of today), and offered up a couple of tidbits from the PSU feature. I haven't seen the issue yet myself, so please don't press me for details. Here's what he said:

- Independent Offline and Online modes confirmed

- Offline is a full-on 40-hour single-player RPG -- I guess this is where the "Is it Phantasy Star V?" bit came from in the E3 trailer last year

- Online is basically a true sequel to PSO, but apparently it's NOT an MMORPG. EGM says there'll be more party members than PSO, but they don't clarify how many

- Character creation system is apparently very nice (that's where the "breasts" comment came from, I guess)

- Class system is very different from PSO's, more open-ended

- They feature two pages on offline, two pages on online, and an interview with Yuji Naka. Lots of new screens, too

Subscribers are getting their issues now (he got his today), so I suppose more info will be popping up soon.

its like two games in one!

man, i can't wait even more now!

gigavdp
Mar 24, 2005, 04:42 AM
The stage is the Graal Star System, consisting of three planets. Each planet has it's own culture, formed by it's different race.

The history of Graal Star System is filled with conflicts amongst the different races. However, after the Final Conflict 100 years ago, the union was formed amongst the three planets, which gave birth to the Allied Army and ultimately peace to the Graal Star System.

At this time, the 100 year anniversary of the Graal Star System Alliance is being celebrated. The main character Ethan, and his sister Rumia were both enjoying the ceremony, which showed off their space fleet - the pride of the Allied Army. However, one by one the fleet was destroyed by an incoming meteor shower, and even the lands were envelped in flames. It actually wasn't a meteor shower, but was a space lifeform that would later be called SEED, which tried to lead Graal to its destruction. From SEED which landed, invasions occured, and soon the lands were covered in darkness.

Even the Guardians Colony was suddenly attacked by the mysterious lifeform, and fell into a panic. In the midst of the confusion brought on by Gaurdians falling one by one, only Rumia remained in the rubble. To save his sister, Ethan would borrow the strength of the Guardians, and start his first which could mean life or death.

Characters:
Ethan Webber

Sex: Male
Race: Human

17 years old, living on the Guardians Colony. Came to watch the 100 year anniversary of the Planetary Alliance. Got caught up in the invasion of the SEED. Takes assignment after the initial SEED invasion, becoming a trainee of the Planetary Defense Organization [called] "Guardians". Began to train vigorously under Karen.

Karen Era
Sex: Female
Race: Newman

17 years old. Has 3 years of battle experience, and becomes Ethan's instructor. Experienced her mother being killed by a primeval (protozoan) lifeform, and even though is a Newman, has to live with the handicap of being unable to use techniques. Is a bit harder on herself than she needs to be, and stubbornly acts tough.

translated by gajin punch over at
Japan Gaming (http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~japangaming/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615)

Omega_Nova
Mar 24, 2005, 02:26 PM
On 2005-03-23 19:36, Ian-KunX wrote:
Since when the fuck was powerful hardware a requirement for entertaining games? Oh FUCK, Phantasy Star IV isn't in 3D with voice acting and a billion polygons! It must suck shit!

And the reverse fanboying in this thread is ludicrous. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it's not coming out on the console you spend your nights wanking off against. When are you people going to figure out that a good game can be made on any platform, including, gasp, the PS2!

Hell, people are still making homebrews for the Atari 2600 that own the fuck out of the regurgitated trash companies puke out these days, so what the fuck does power have to do with anything? Oh shit, the PS2 can only do this much while that other console can do that much! So fucking what?

Quit whining and puling, maggots. Sega is not going to come give you a blowjob and put it on GC or Xbox or your old NES sitting in the corner just because you hate the PS2.

Whether or not it's well-designed and balanced, with good gameplay and story... That's what will make it a good game or a bad game, not what console it's on. Honestly, grow up and go play some fucking Duck Hunt.

So! To recap!

The PS2 will not eat your children, and PSU coming out on it is not the end of the world.

Stop being so goddamned shallow.

There's this mysterious thing I've heard rumours of lately... I believe it was called 'sunlight'. I've heard that it has some amazing properties. Maybe you should check it out?

Thank you, Ian, Thank you.

Also If you don't like PS2 so much just get it for computer.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 24, 2005, 04:01 PM
Attention: Until I can recieve scans of the pages that contained PSU information, I will not be posting anything on the front page. Given the nature of this information, I want to confirm it with my own eyes before I post. I ask that someone scan and upload them to a server so I can check them out for myself.

Puppet_Papaya
Mar 24, 2005, 04:05 PM
I was comparing PS2 RPGs to each other, if you didn't notice.
You're right. PSU is starting to look disturbingly similar to Star Ocean. I'm still really excited about this though!

BTW I love you, Ian.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Puppet_Papaya on 2005-03-24 13:16 ]</font>

Omega_Nova
Mar 24, 2005, 05:56 PM
On 2005-03-24 13:05, Puppet_Papaya wrote:

You're right. PSU is starting to look disturbingly similar to Star Ocean. I'm still really excited about this though!

BTW I love you, Ian.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Puppet_Papaya on 2005-03-24 13:16 ]</font>

Yeah, I agree 100% with what Ian said, I don't have an Xbox, for the same reason. Really a good game isn't determined by techinical specs (The Phantasy Star series, mario, sonic series, Megaman X, FF6, Crono Trigger etc.) this topic reminds me of my school, they all go around saying "XBOXERZ>>>>>TEH WHOLE WORLDZERS CAUSE ITZ BETTSERZ GRAPHICS!" I've yet to see the relation between good games and better systems, perhaps somebody could give me a formula

shinobu_seta
Mar 24, 2005, 07:39 PM
On 2005-03-24 14:56, Omega_Nova wrote:

On 2005-03-24 13:05, Puppet_Papaya wrote:

BTW I love you, Ian.

Yeah, I agree 100% with what Ian said, I don't have an Xbox, for the same reason. Really a good game isn't determined by techinical specs (The Phantasy Star series, mario, sonic series, Megaman X, FF6, Crono Trigger etc.) this topic reminds me of my school, they all go around saying "XBOXERZ>>>>>TEH WHOLE WORLDZERS CAUSE ITZ BETTSERZ GRAPHICS!" I've yet to see the relation between good games and better systems, perhaps somebody could give me a formula

I don't think anyone's really complaining about the specs of the PS2, or how well it performs. The concern is that a lot of people on this board simply do not have PS2s/network adaptors, and many had no interest in getting them. So the fact that PSU is coming out for it is an inconvenience.

PC has been confirmed, right?

Omega_Nova
Mar 24, 2005, 08:00 PM
yes

PJ
Mar 24, 2005, 08:14 PM
So, that leaves us without a PS2, and a half-ass computer unable to play (Well, hopefully my computer can run it, but it can't even run BB X__X). And no money for either.

Like yay.

Alielle
Mar 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/swf/screen/universe_01.jpg

OMG clipping!!1

Polycount is up though, which is nice to see. I hope they'll improve the animations. And dammit, I wanna see my character blink. Is that so much to ask?

I'm nitpicking. :/

Eagerly awaiting more info.

kazuma56
Mar 24, 2005, 08:45 PM
I want more info, it's kind of dumb that offline doesn't feature some sort of multiplayer function.

As for the whole PS2/PSU thing, it reminds me of the PSX getting FF7 and nintendo getting jack from square, I at the time didn't really care because I was a Sega person but my friends who had N64 or PSX would continually argue how stupid square was to abandon the Nintendo followers of FF and put it on PSX while the others will say they made a smart move.... I guess it is true, history does repeat itself in some ways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2005-03-24 17:47 ]</font>

Omega_Nova
Mar 24, 2005, 10:58 PM
On 2005-03-24 17:14, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
So, that leaves us without a PS2, and a half-ass computer unable to play (Well, hopefully my computer can run it, but it can't even run BB X__X). And no money for either.

Like yay.

The PS2 network pakage isn't that expensive right now, Honestly if you have any job and put a bit a way each paycheck you should have enough for a PS2 by the time PSU comes out.

Wyndham
Mar 25, 2005, 04:04 AM
On 2005-03-24 19:58, Omega_Nova wrote:

Like yay.

The PS2 network pakage isn't that expensive right now, Honestly if you have any job and put a bit a way each paycheck you should have enough for a PS2 by the time PSU comes out.

if there's even ONE of yu left who is unsatisfied with PSU on PS2 clickhttp://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20050205.jpg

shinobu_seta
Mar 25, 2005, 09:18 AM
On 2005-03-25 01:04, Oran1324 wrote:

Like yay.

if there's even ONE of yu left who is unsatisfied with PSU on PS2 clickhttp://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20050205.jpg

Usually when I encounter similar arguments in my life it's the other way around. It's usually a playstation fanboy who's never tried a Gamecube or Xbox....yet they automatically suck in comparison to the awesome power of the playstation 2. Because you know EVERY mainstream console fanboy has a PS2.

Can we please please please not turn this into a console war thread? -_- This will be the last thing I post about any console. I hope everyone else does the same.

PSU...this topic is about PSU...

PJ
Mar 25, 2005, 09:43 AM

No job, and everytime I sent in an application, they looked at me weirdly and never called >=l

Omega_Nova
Mar 25, 2005, 10:12 AM
On 2005-03-25 06:43, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

No job, and everytime I sent in an application, they looked at me weirdly and never called >=l

As a last ditch attempt, Beg for money in some starbucks some where (Hell if they have five dollars to spend on a coffee then the can free up some extra change)

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 01:35 PM

Oran, don't try to bring out the console war veterans. Disliking that a game is on a particular system is perfectly fine if there are legitimate reasons. Saying you are unhappy with PSU being on the PS2 because "The PS2 is teh suck" shows you're an idiot. Saying you're unhappy because PSU is on the PS2 because you don't own a PS2 or something along those lines is perfectly reasonable.

And Omega, stop acting like anybody can just go and buy a console. Sure, a PS2 isn't that expensive, but some people are a little young to get a job, or have more important things to spend their money on, such as food.

For people with money, sure, getting a PS2 isn't that hard. Not everybody can easily get the cash for that or is completely willing to, though.

Those who aren't going to get PSU because it's on the PS2 and you'd rather not buy the system - more power to you. There's a few of us who have PS2s and still might not get it, as picking up another modem for just one more game seems a little silly (to me at least) at this point in time. I'm definitely gonna wait for some gameplay information and more footage before considering that purchase.

gigavdp
Mar 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.uploda.org/file/uporg63908.jpg

http://www.uploda.org/file/uporg63910.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gigavdp on 2005-03-25 11:51 ]</font>

Neith
Mar 25, 2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, I'm now in agreement that this IS looking like FF8 all of a sudden.. As for the Network Adapter, I bought mine on release, and have been online on a total of 2 games: Killzone and Need for Speed Underground. Both lag like crazy when I run them, and I use a 300k broadband connection. Not great I know, but it's still an issue. In my opinion, the 'Central Station' feature of PS2 is under-populated, and there are not enough players. PSU may change this, but I think it sucks that after years of GC/Xbox/PC, they've jumped ship. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif to Sonic Team. Gamewise, I dont see much n ew. FF8 but online is the impression I get..

Mitri3
Mar 25, 2005, 04:08 PM
well for me i can't find a job. i have applied but they never call back. i didn't like the ps2 because everythihng in my opinion for it game wise was the same that is why i got the xbox. then since the xbox2 is supposed to be released in novemember that is where my money is going no matter if pso is there or not. i'll play true phantasy.

Nash
Mar 25, 2005, 05:30 PM
Soul4ger on GAF has the latest EGM and posted this excellent summary of the PSU article:

"Offline - 40-hour quest. It's a linear story, but you can explore the world as you please. It has everything you'd expect from an actual RPG -- huge towns, more than 20 dungeons, more than 15 bosses. You can have up to three members in your party, and while you don't directly control them, you can assign them commands. The single-player mode will have cutscenes, dialogue, an in-depth story, character development, etc., etc. Some people will have to join you for missions, but when you just want to explore and build levels, you can apparently select anyone to go with you. By the end of the game, you'll end up exploring three planets. It starts on the hume world, Parum, which gets attacked by weird aliens. You visit Neudaiz, a water world of "newman people," and Motwob, the planet of the beast people - desert planet. THe main character's name is Ethan Waber. He decides to fight because his sister gets attacked. Gameplay remains relatively similar to PSO, but there will be more puzzles and stuff in dungeons -- and not just flipping switches.

Online:

No longer jobs, just character races. Each of the four races has its own strengths, but you can develop them as you see fit. For example, casts are the best with guns, but that doesn't mean you can't build up their other characteristics and make them good magicians. Character customization is apparently incredibly improved. You can change colors of lips, eyebrows, eyes, hair, clothes, shoes, you can mold faces and bodies, create large or small breasts, make them firm or jiggly. That's an example the lead artist gives. HDD is NOT supported, because Sony pulled the support. It looks substantially better on the PC, and EGM recommends that version. Voice chat, regardless, has not been confirmed, for either platform.

Combat remains relatively similar to PSO, but there are differences, There are six-hit combo strings now, but you insert custom technique attacks into the combos to change them up. Strafing has been adding, and button-timing is supposed to be quick, for combat. Like John said, the number of party members is much higher, but Sega hasn't revealed how many it will be yet. Characters can dual wield different weapons now, so a gunner can have a short range gun and a long-range one equipped at the same time. Mags are gone, robot partners are in. Downloadable content will be more frequent and more substantial.

And PSO Blue Burst is coming this Summer, the mag says it's "free," but you just have to pay the $13 Hunter's Fee.

One last thing I forgot, vehicles are included."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-03-25 14:32 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Mar 25, 2005, 06:26 PM
If the content posted in Nash's post ends up true, this should be quite interesting indeed, especially about customizable combos. The practical use of them is there potentially, which is great, but even if it's just for aesthetics, still can give people characters a good sense of uniqueness. Would also open up potential for "stances" (an aggresive twin combo that stuns more but leaves you more open to other attackers, a defensive combo for staying closer to one spot ala rangers and being more of a wall (since standing still helps with no getting swarmed)).

And the character customization sounds good, but starts to get creepy (change breast size and determine how jiggly they are? heh).

Offline version sounds like .hack or Kingdom Hearts mechanics, but we'll see.

I'm still reserved, not building hopes up because I know how in the past we hear about this sort of stuff only for it to not be released as expected (not only from ST mind you, most games end up pulling that), so basically... we still shall see.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 07:47 PM
I'm actually far more interested after hearing that bit of information. The ability to customize your characters to that extent sounds very good to me.

But uh... still don't know if I'll be getting it. It really depends on if I can play it on PC/find a cheap network adapter/have the cash/don't have other games to play/etc.

Dark_Heal_v2
Mar 25, 2005, 07:53 PM
The info sounds very promising, and the offline game indeed sound a lot like .hack. I suspect the relation between online and offline mode would be more or less like in EP3.

But have yet to see how the 6 streak combo turns out and how the massive multi-player team fits into the current system of PSO.

BrokenHope
Mar 26, 2005, 01:02 AM
Hopefully it will cater more for high end pc's and will be able to do more than 30 frames per second when on high settings.

Wyndham
Mar 26, 2005, 01:18 AM
On 2005-03-25 10:35, Outrider wrote:

Oran, don't try to bring out the console war veterans. Disliking that a game is on a particular system is perfectly fine if there are legitimate reasons. Saying you are unhappy with PSU being on the PS2 because "The PS2 is teh suck" shows you're an idiot. Saying you're unhappy because PSU is on the PS2 because you don't own a PS2 or something along those lines is perfectly reasonable.

And Omega, stop acting like anybody can just go and buy a console. Sure, a PS2 isn't that expensive, but some people are a little young to get a job, or have more important things to spend their money on, such as food.

For people with money, sure, getting a PS2 isn't that hard. Not everybody can easily get the cash for that or is completely willing to, though.

Those who aren't going to get PSU because it's on the PS2 and you'd rather not buy the system - more power to you. There's a few of us who have PS2s and still might not get it, as picking up another modem for just one more game seems a little silly (to me at least) at this point in time. I'm definitely gonna wait for some gameplay information and more footage before considering that purchase.

I actually posted it to get people to stop the blanket statements and whinings of "oh, it's on ps2, now sonic team has made it suck" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

kazuma56
Mar 26, 2005, 04:15 AM
I haven't tried PS2 online yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about the connections, most friends that have played online say it's exactly like a PC, Lag and slowdown are 2 different things, I know it's impossible to say that PS2 will lag more than a PC game or not, but there is too many factors that go into it to say otherwise.

The Gameplay looks good, still wondering how the offline portion works, do you create a char or play a pre-rendered one, when online, is there armor that actually change clothes, will PSO weps make their way into the game?

I'll probably go for PS2 because the PC version will probably need something high-end... which is something that probably won't happen to my PC for long while.

Calibur
Mar 26, 2005, 10:30 AM
On 2005-03-25 14:30, Nash wrote:

Online:

Combat remains relatively similar to PSO, but there are differences, There are six-hit combo strings now, but you insert custom technique attacks into the combos to change them up.

Best news so far, beside the server side saving.

This new combo system should make the game less repetitive.

kazuma56
Mar 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
I can just think of it now, 1-2-3 Earth (combo ends) 1-2-3-4 Cross slash (combo ends), 1-2-3-4-5-6 Cross Cut(combo ends), this is a probabability since they did say techniques could be intergrated into the combo.... and for those new Phantasy Star players,Techniques and magic were 2 different things, Rune/Lutz knew magic while others could only do Techniques.
Skills were character skills only he/she had,like Chaz was the only one that could do CrossCut, while Wren was the only one (could be wrong because Demi may have had it too) who could use Barrier/Flameshot/burst

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2005-03-26 13:00 ]</font>

Split
Mar 26, 2005, 04:15 PM
On 2005-03-26 01:15, kazuma56 wrote:
I haven't tried PS2 online yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about the connections, most friends that have played online say it's exactly like a PC, Lag and slowdown are 2 different things, I know it's impossible to say that PS2 will lag more than a PC game or not, but there is too many factors that go into it to say otherwise.

The Gameplay looks good, still wondering how the offline portion works, do you create a char or play a pre-rendered one, when online, is there armor that actually change clothes, will PSO weps make their way into the game?

I'll probably go for PS2 because the PC version will probably need something high-end... which is something that probably won't happen to my PC for long while.

I'm not sure, but it's starting to look like you play as this Ethan webber guy, although I would much rather thrust my own characters into this supposed deep story. Unfortunately, it's impossible to create CG cutscenes particularly with such deep character customization and feature a custom character in said cutscene.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2005-03-26 13:33 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 26, 2005, 04:56 PM
What I've gathered is that the single player is a standard single-player experience. Then, for the online play, you make your own character, and go gallavanting around the galaxy with your friends online.

adamgnome104
Mar 26, 2005, 05:56 PM
Woah, on one of the screenshots on the official page...it looks like a lobby. o_o An awesome lobby! Who needs regular trees when you have palm trees! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And the 3 planet thing is so a referance to the old Phantasy Star games.

http://tinypic.com/2d1eko

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2005-03-26 15:33 ]</font>

Arnot
Mar 26, 2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah for PSU articles:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3138974&did=2

All about PSU!!!

adamgnome104
Mar 26, 2005, 06:39 PM
Does anybody think this game would be a good idea to play as your first action game for PC. >_> I always played console games, and I don't have a Playstation 2.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2005, 10:18 PM
On 2005-03-26 14:56, adamgnome104 wrote:
Woah, on one of the screenshots on the official page...it looks like a lobby. o_o An awesome lobby! Who needs regular trees when you have palm trees! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2005-03-26 15:33 ]</font>

Ok, look at this picture. All the way to the right side of it, in the middle - there are two tiny people. The rightmost one is a redhead from the looks of it, and the guy just to the left of that character has blue hair and a white vest.

Err... isn't the blue-haired one with the white vest the main character from the new Star Ocean?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2005-03-26 19:19 ]</font>

Zelutos
Mar 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
On 2005-03-26 19:18, Outrider wrote:

Ok, look at this picture. All the way to the right side of it, in the middle - there are two tiny people. The rightmost one is a redhead from the looks of it, and the guy just to the left of that character has blue hair and a white vest.

Err... isn't the blue-haired one with the white vest the main character from the new Star Ocean?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2005-03-26 19:19 ]</font>

You know, i bet that is what they are going to make the online lobbies look like. Very nice though, better than the ones we have now.

Wyndham
Mar 26, 2005, 11:07 PM
I can't wait until I can spend all my game time online.

Jebusism
Mar 27, 2005, 03:46 AM
On 2005-03-26 19:18, Outrider wrote:

It took me a while to spot him, but yeah your right he does look like the same character. O_o

Axel3792
Mar 27, 2005, 09:35 PM
here's my guess for how the offline/online character stuff will go>

there's most likely going to be an offline story that follows around a main character and their group (say, like Tales of Symphonia) and an online mode featuring your own character, which is saved server side.

maybe this explains the OFFLINE/online game with SERVER SIDE characters...

Oh, and get this:
what if each world was it's own set of servers, and PSU came with three discs, one for each world? might save on the HDD issue, but it would be a pain in the ass to change discs for every server hop. just a thought, since

SEGA IS GOING TO LOSE A HELL OF A LOT OF PLAYERS DUE TO THE FACT THEY SCREWED US GAMECUBE PEOPLE OVER. NOT EVERYONE HAS A POWERHOUSE COMPUTER AND A SPARE PS2 W/ A HDD TO BOOT. okay, this is turning into a rant. post=over

Calx
Mar 27, 2005, 10:31 PM
PSU doesn't use the HDD.

Omega_Nova
Mar 28, 2005, 08:36 AM
SEGA IS GOING TO LOSE A HELL OF A LOT OF PLAYERS DUE TO THE FACT THEY SCREWED US GAMECUBE PEOPLE OVER. NOT EVERYONE HAS A POWERHOUSE COMPUTER AND A SPARE PS2 W/ A HDD TO BOOT. okay, this is turning into a rant. post=over

1. Sega didn't have alot of people to start with (Compared to other online RPGs)
2. More people are on the PS2 and it's not using the HDD.
3. Gamecube doesn't exactly have quality online suport.
4. it is a rant

Dark_Heal_v2
Mar 28, 2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah... you could say Sonic Team was left out in the cold on the issue of online support on GC by Nintendo. Nintendo should have provided more support to their own hardware rather than a 3rd party, can't blame SEGA on this part of withdrawal of online games from GC.

Alisha
Mar 28, 2005, 08:44 PM
ill be leaving FFXI as soon as this game launches http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

_Sinue_
Mar 29, 2005, 01:13 AM
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200503/109.asp

More screenshots... supposedly from a new issue of Famitsu.

Aunt_Betty
Mar 29, 2005, 01:35 AM
This game is going to my list. But, on the top of the list. Perhaps that is a lobby, or a very big meeting place. Either way, it is awesome.

I was wanting for it to be like Final Fantasy XI. A big world with many players. Also, remember in the trailer when a person was pioleting a spacecrft? Maybe players can drive. Maybe the game is more user-ran.

Calibur
Mar 29, 2005, 01:11 PM
On 2005-03-28 22:35, Aunt_Betty wrote:
Also, remember in the trailer when a person was pioleting a spacecrft? Maybe players can drive.

EGM said that you can drive.

Heres the quote from EGM:

"You'll be able to ride futuristic motorcycles, hoverboards, and even large animals," says designer Shintaro Hata. "How you'll use the vehicle depends on the mission- in some missions, each player might have a bike, but in others, all the online players will ride one big tank like in Halo."

http://www.gameraddicts.com/forums/files/page5_179.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calibur on 2005-03-29 10:13 ]</font>

RegPaq
Mar 29, 2005, 04:34 PM
anyone know where i can get quality EGM scans of the PSU's articles like the one above, except quality? Like the margin on left is cut off and such

Split
Mar 29, 2005, 05:32 PM
On 2005-03-27 18:35, Axel3792 wrote:

hmmmm. Mebbe the online will be free, since a lot of ps2 online games are. And a lot of PC games (Diablo 1). After all, the fanbase for PSO was once a lot bigger than it is now(including the fanbase for DC) and they really just left a lot of us behind. I figure enough people will buy it, anywho, so ST won't care to put costs on it. Then again, they really are cheap bastards...so I dunno.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2005-03-29 14:34 ]</font>

King_Rappy
Mar 29, 2005, 05:53 PM

You're stupid. Get off my internet.
Also, you will most likely have to pay anywhere from 10 to 13 dollars to play online. It will NOT be free. Mark my words.

Omega_Nova
Mar 29, 2005, 06:05 PM
On 2005-03-29 14:53, King_Rappy wrote:

Thank you, just thank you.

Velocity_7
Mar 29, 2005, 08:23 PM
On 2005-03-27 18:35, Axel3792 wrote:

Looks like someone didn't read all the details and jumped to conclusions too damn fast.

kazuma56
Mar 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
^ lol, why is everyone so bummed on the PS2 thing, it ius coming to PC, why does everyone seem to not acknowledge that fact? Sure you can say "my PC isn't gaming quality" and blah blah blah, so I'll create a guide to see which one is cheaper in the long run for you to get.

Say your PC is 800 MHZ, 256 MB SD Ram,Geforce vid card and 5GB HDD... for starter, you will need a new processer which could probably cost you $80 dollars, since you bought a new processor you will need a new motherboard, which could be around 100+ depending on features, so that's 180, you will probably need 512 DDR-Ram to be safe which goes for around 100 bucks, and for optimal performance, you'll need 2, which makes that a total of 380 so far, now you'll probably need a Video Card, say you get a Geforce 6600 GT, which is around 180-200 bucks... make that the latter of the 2 so that's a total of 580 dollars, now you might want windows XP seeing as it's the most recent windows, another 120 or so dollars which makes that price 600 now,5GB HDD isn't the most so you'll probably want about 40GB which is standard for today, which probably goes for 80 dollars.

Total Price - $680

mind you, this is excluding the fact that you know how to install all the parts yourself(or know someone that does) and would not have to spend a service charge asking a store to do it for you and that's also not taking in the fact that your CD drives may be less than 50X.

now for a PS2, you buy a network bundle which probably goes for 200 (with ATV ORF2) or just the Slim PS2 which is around 150-180 bucks, you buy PSU (say $80) and pay the online service charge. costs you less than 300 dollars and is quite cheap.

adamgnome104
Mar 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'm juts going to buy the game, see if it works on my computer, and if it doesn't I'll return it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That is, if my crappy walmart ever gets it. >_>

Split
Mar 30, 2005, 08:53 PM

Also, you will most likely have to pay anywhere from 10 to 13 dollars to play online. It will NOT be free. Mark my words.

Thanks for crushing every freaking hope I might've had. You really make me sad.

King_Rappy
Mar 31, 2005, 02:29 PM
No problem! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_Nova
Mar 31, 2005, 08:47 PM
On 2005-03-30 17:53, Split wrote:

Thanks for crushing every freaking hope I might've had. You really make me sad.

Ofcourse MMORPGs are always free, aren't they? </sarcasm>

Split
Mar 31, 2005, 09:54 PM
[/quote] Ofcourse MMORPGs are always free, aren't they? </sarcasm>

[/quote]good point. There really are quite a few non mmo's that're free on ps2 though

adamgnome104
Mar 31, 2005, 10:37 PM
On 2005-03-28 22:13, _Sinue_ wrote:

Woah...Some of those are pretty cool. The new dragon firstboss, a tech, and random monsters. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I hope the game isn't as repetitive as PSO though. XP

kazuma56
Apr 1, 2005, 12:08 AM
On 2005-03-31 19:37, adamgnome104 wrote:

On 2005-03-28 22:13, _Sinue_ wrote:

Woah...Some of those are pretty cool. The new dragon firstboss, a tech, and random monsters. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I hope the game isn't as repetitive as PSO though. XP

Every MMORPG is reptitive for the most part, fighting never changes, they just add new stuff to do, like fishing and mining... which also get reptitive as well....

Calx
Apr 1, 2005, 01:55 AM
Sega plans to add new content on a weekly basis (EGM), so you can rest assured you will be paying a monthly fee.

adamgnome104
Apr 1, 2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I meant like in PSO You always go through the same 8 levels or whatever, but I think the worlds are going to be huge enough anyways from what I've heard about it.

And I mean come on, since when was the last game we could go to different planets? It was for Genesis or something wasn't it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rain_1
Apr 3, 2005, 05:07 PM
Am I your fucking god or what?

Here it is, entirely in high-resolution, the entire PSU EGM Article (http://rain01.free.fr/PSU_EGM_Article.rar). (If you're brain dead, click on the link).

It's a 5 meg .RAR with high-resolution .jps in it (about 600k each).

Thanks to none of you, since I had to do it myself, because apparently nobody would.

Jonathan might feel free to host this and link on the main page (as long as he doesn't link my site in it... I don't want to rape it, as it's free).

Now you can all bown down and kiss my feet.

Omega_Nova
Apr 3, 2005, 06:06 PM
On 2005-04-03 15:07, Rain_1 wrote:
Am I your fucking god or what?

Here it is, entirely in high-resolution, the entire PSU EGM Article (http://rain01.free.fr/PSU_EGM_Article.rar). (If you're brain dead, click on the link).

It's a 5 meg .RAR with high-resolution .jps in it (about 600k each).

Thanks to none of you, since I had to do it myself, because apparently nobody would.

Jonathan might feel free to host this and link on the main page (as long as he doesn't link my site in it... I don't want to rape it, as it's free).

Now you can all bown down and kiss my feet.

*Praises Rain*

Zelutos
Apr 3, 2005, 11:25 PM
Thank you, Rain, for that article. However, you shouldn't be so high on yourself. Yes you did us all a favour, but keep your thinking your the best to yourself. You'll get alot more praise if you just saying something like "It's no trouble at all." rather than "I thank none of you".

Keep that in mind.

Outrider
Apr 3, 2005, 11:40 PM
On 2005-04-03 21:25, Zelutos wrote:
You'll get alot more praise if you just saying something like "It's no trouble at all." rather than "I thank none of you".

Keep that in mind.

Pfft. It's the internet, Zel. What are you talking about?

Rain_1
Apr 4, 2005, 01:34 AM
You'll get alot more praise if you just saying something like "It's no trouble at all." rather than "I thank none of you".

But that's the thing - it was trouble... and a lot of it...

First of all, i had to find the .pdf... then, i had to figure out a way to make a .jpg of each page that didn't suck major ass.. then i had to upload it to my hosting company.. then i had to post a link here - mind you without anybody really asking me to do it. I just did anyway because i knew that everybody that checks this thread preriodically wanted somebody to do this for them as much as I wanted somebody to do it for me.

Hell, i coudl've made it unreadable 100k jpegs each, but no, i choose to do the good high quality 600 meg version (and if anybody asks me for a higher quality, i will - even tho it will mean nothing, since all pictures look pixelated when resolutions bigger than that).

Now, if you can't notice or take the sarcasm.. well, that's not really my problem, now is it?

Onto more important things - i didn't see one single pic of any character dual wielding.... i really wonder how is that going to work out... hmm.. different buttons for different weapons maybe?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2005-04-03 23:36 ]</font>

3v1L19
Apr 4, 2005, 05:45 AM
I think it's quite funny when someone refers to themself in such high praise. Hell, I do it all the time myself. Thank you Rain, as well, for that article!

Dark_Heal_v2
Apr 4, 2005, 09:00 AM
Yep, thanks a lot! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RegPaq
Apr 4, 2005, 02:17 PM
I can't view that type of file. Any pdf format or jpg or gif format??? please?

Rain_1
Apr 4, 2005, 02:26 PM
On 2005-04-04 12:17, RegPaq wrote:
I can't view that type of file. Any pdf format or jpg or gif format??? please?

ever heard of FILE COMPRESSION?

http://www.rarlab.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2005-04-04 12:28 ]</font>

RegPaq
Apr 4, 2005, 02:56 PM
Actually the download got stuck on the last part. I thought it was done and I couldn't open it. Sorry for the mistake. But i tried it again and it worked fine. Great find by the way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RegPaq on 2005-04-04 12:59 ]</font>

Rain_1
Apr 4, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hehehe.. np... hope you guys enjoyed as much as i did.

J3553
Apr 4, 2005, 04:57 PM
On 2005-04-04 13:15, Rain_1 wrote:
Hehehe.. np... hope you guys enjoyed as much as i did.

I'd be happy to host the file on PSO Noobs as a mirror if you want. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the high res scans! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rain_1
Apr 4, 2005, 05:44 PM
On 2005-04-04 14:57, J3553 wrote:
I'd be happy to host the file on PSO Noobs as a mirror if you want. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the high res scans! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think it will be needed in fact... i just said that, in case Johnatan wants to put them on the first page (which i believe he won't), just don't direct link to my account. It can take some downloads from people on a forum no problem, but if massive amounts of pso players would start downloading it... well, that could be a problem.. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So hold the files and that though for a while (or even better, put them on there already... the more the better).. and thanks for offering...

RegPaq
Apr 5, 2005, 01:45 PM
I put it up on my site.

Rain_1
Apr 6, 2005, 09:37 AM
I was thinking... wouldn't be cool if PSU had a integrated Board (that you could read and write from both inside the game and from outside, aka, on a web-based site with a forum)?

For those aware, it would be The World in .hack...

it would be a cool thing to do inside the game while waiting for others to show up, games to free up some space...

Never the less, that occured to me while waiting on P2 for a gamespot on a particualr game..

It wouldn't be all bad nor hard to implement (at least on the pc version).

Velocity_7
Apr 7, 2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks for sharing the EGM article on PSU.

I don't think there are any high quality (and high resolution) art screenies of the characters yet are there?

Asura_UK
Apr 7, 2005, 10:11 PM
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/602/602628/phantasy-star-universe-20050407062955467.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/602/602628/phantasy-star-universe-20050407062956045.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/602/602628/phantasy-star-universe-20050407062957311.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/602/602628/phantasy-star-universe-20050407062956686.jpg

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/602/602628p1.html

FEBRUARY 2006, PS2 & PC, NORTH AMERICA & EUROPE

Rain_1
Apr 8, 2005, 01:31 AM
As you can see on the first and last picture, the girl is always dual wielding something - on the first pic, a Gun and a dagger-like weapon. On the last picture, the same dagger-like weapon and a.. i'm not sure.. different dagger?

Anyway, remmber the original trailer? The only character dual-wielding is the female fighting with a hucast.

Given the female-preference of sonicteam (as pointed out on some PSO:BB thread), and adding the fact that EGM says that some races/characters/classes (don't remember the term used) would be able to dual wield, i wonder if only females will dual wield..

Talking about that hucast, i have yet to see a picture of a android-like creature on any of the PSU pictures... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Rain_1
Apr 8, 2005, 01:38 AM
On 2005-04-05 11:45, RegPaq wrote:
I put it up on my site.

Some people... *sigh*.. he posted a newsbit on his site , never mentioned the source AND direct linked to my site. I'm removing the file from my webspace now - at least until he removes it from his website.

Calibur
Apr 8, 2005, 09:23 AM
On 2005-04-07 20:11, Asura_UK wrote:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/602/602628/phantasy-star-universe-20050407062956045.jpg

I wonder WTF hes holidng, seems like a MKB or BKB type of weapon......

AzureBlaze
Apr 8, 2005, 07:20 PM
No need to fear, males of PSO...
On that very same IGN site/article/photo area is a profile-type picture of Ethan that shows him with a sabre and a gun. Perhaps it is that you can only dual wield small type weps, not like the 2-hander swords and things that he's usually shown with?

As for the surprising lack of androids...this also annoys me, being HUcast. There is one android girl in some of the shots (reddish hair, clamp on back of head, crack in face under eye) and the guy on the cover of EGM (white hair) has the same head clamp, so he probably is one too.

But...I prefer androids which actually LOOK like an android! Hopefully there will be a zillion heads and some of them will be more...suitable then these fake fleshie faces all the "Cover people" have.

I think more "Other Race" data/shots will appear once E3 rolls around and perhaps online char-creation details are released. (also conspicuously un-photo'd are those beast guys--will they be like Galka, only males? That'd suck...)

The thing I am absolutly agitating to see are the Char-Creation details! I so so cannot wait until more online details are revealed. (after all, that's where we'll be (hopefully) spending our time having a blast!

Getintothegame
Apr 8, 2005, 10:57 PM
http://games.kikizo.com/media/phantasystaruniverse_mar05/18.jpg

This is so interesting... I mean, if this is the TRUE sequel to PSO, then that image changes everything.

If you know the storyline and a lot about the older PS games, then remember this:

MUTT - Green - Motavia
DITTS - Red - Dezoris
POUMN - Blue - Palma

Rain_1
Apr 8, 2005, 11:11 PM
On 2005-04-08 20:57, Getintothegame wrote:
This is so interesting... I mean, if this is the TRUE sequel to PSO, then that image changes everything.
If you know the storyline and a lot about the older PS games, then remember this:
[center]
MUTT - Green - Motavia
DITTS - Red - Dezoris
POUMN - Blue - Palma

Hm.. i don't really get this message... that has been posted over and over again already, and the EGM article states that PSU takes place on the Graal Star System, which mirrors the Algo star system, but it's not really the same place...

Edit: Not to make my message a useless spam/flame/whatever, here's the actual text snippet from EGM.

"PSU introduces the all-new Grarl star system, but its three planets — Parum, Neudaiz, and Motwob—neatly
mirror the worlds gamers explored in the old Star games: Palma, Dezolis, and Motavia. And series faithful will spot other points of reference...."

Even the names are similar.. but it's obviously a tribute/inspiration other than a re-telling of pre-PS3 events...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2005-04-08 21:17 ]</font>

Getintothegame
Apr 9, 2005, 04:57 PM
On 2005-04-09 14:21, Drithe wrote:
Gamespot is reporting that Phantasy Star Universe will be out NEXT spring in the US. No offense but this sucks big time. YEA YEA YEA we are at least getting the game, but let me share this with you.

This time next year Im hoping to be playing my shiny new PS3 and blah blah blah. I could go on but in the end I hate that we have to wait this long. Then while we are just getting it the japanese have 10 new updates that we can or cannot get later in the following year ...................yaaaaaaaaaaah!

On the main page, IGN says:

Phantasy Star Universe has officially been announced for release in North America and Europe. Confirmed by SEGA of America just moments before we went to press, the brand new role-player will launch in February of 2006 and is being simultaneously developed for the PlayStation 2 and Windows PC.

I wonder if Spring is considered February.

Let's go on... Anyone want even more high quality screenshots?

Picture 1 (ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/Phantasy%20Star%20Universe/screens%2004_08/PSU_01_Annc_04_08.bmp)
Picture 2 (ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/Phantasy%20Star%20Universe/screens%2004_08/PSU_02_Annc_04_08.bmp)
Picture 3 (ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/Phantasy%20Star%20Universe/screens%2004_08/PSU_03_Annc_04_08.bmp)

They are HUGE. Just to warn you.

Alright, and I can confirm a few more things for you. The 2 main characters' names are Eathan and Karen.

Here's some really low quality images of them. If you want the high quality, just ask.

http://www.something-or-another.com/psu/Karen_us_sm.jpg
http://www.something-or-another.com/psu/Eathan_us_sm.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-04-09 17:00 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Apr 10, 2005, 01:12 PM
February 2006, sounds fine with me. Seeing as I graduate just within the next couple months from that it will give me time to rest, and play hehe. Anyway, 2006 isn't that far away. It also gives us another year or two, my guess, on PSOGC/PSOX. That would be my guess though. I assume to be happy it is coming out and that it is on the PC. PC needs more MMORPGs that are good, heck consoles do too! But the number that are are few and far between.

65 players eh? Interresting, they usually do it as a multiple of 2, hmm.. I am a bit curious, like all of us here, as to how the actual gameplay is, but, I can wait to find out when it comes out, that makes it all the more exciting when I do get it.

Asura_UK
Apr 10, 2005, 02:11 PM
On 2005-04-10 11:12, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:

65 players eh? Interresting, they usually do it as a multiple of 2, hmm.. I am a bit curious, like all of us here, as to how the actual gameplay is, but, I can wait to find out when it comes out, that makes it all the more exciting when I do get it.

No dude. I think the 65 player thing was just early speculation.

In the IGN article they mention hundreds of players being able to gather on the same screen.

I think the online mode in PSU is a proper MMO.

About the gameplay, you can dual-wield weapons, as shown in the pictures.

Form your own custom combos, instead of the old 3-hit system.

Plus the map are really huge, and you can pilot and control vehicles to get around faster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2005-04-10 12:14 ]</font>

RyuuHokori
Apr 10, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think Feb 2006 is a tad too long for me..but thats just me. I'm gonna look into importing possibly for the ps2 since the jp release date for this is in fall or winter last time i checked.

RoninJoku
Apr 11, 2005, 01:19 AM
My EGM says that it will be out for the holiday season 2005.... is that wrong?

Also, about the androids... I'm sure there will be a TON you can do to customize them... I mean, the article even said- You will be able to choose lip/eye/hair/costume/sock color, Fine tune FACE SHAPE, and... breast FIRMNESS for females... FIRMNESS! I think we can count on some fun character customization... I for one will probably spend my first whole DAY with the game-simply playing with character creation! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Anyway... I'm REAAAAL excited! Even though I'm dissapointed it is coming out for the stupid PS2 at the end of it's stupid life-span! (But that's just my biased opinion) I'll see what I can do about getting the PC version...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-04-10 23:26 ]</font>

Rianna_Type1
Apr 11, 2005, 11:41 AM
On 2005-04-10 23:19, RurouniJoku wrote:
Anyway... I'm REAAAAL excited! Even though I'm dissapointed it is coming out for the stupid PS2 at the end of it's stupid life-span!

PS2 isn't anywhere near the end of it's life-span. =P

I'm not sure if your opinion was about the game or the PS2, but the PS1 lasted for a decent amount of time even after the PS2 was released. Games were still being made and bought for it. I feel the same thing will happen with the PS2.

Outrider
Apr 11, 2005, 04:55 PM
On 2005-04-11 09:41, Rianna_Type1 wrote:

That's a nice dream.

The PS2 is near it's lifespan, and just because the PSX floated around in limbo for a few years doesn't mean it was still a valid contender for years after it was no longer the main Sony system.

I'm getting more interested in PSU. But I don't think it'll be worth getting a network adaptor for... I need an excuse to upgrade my computer anyway, so maybe I'll get it on PC.

RoninJoku
Apr 12, 2005, 12:52 AM
On 2005-04-11 09:41, Rianna_Type1 wrote:

I'm not sure if your opinion was about the game or the PS2, but the PS1 lasted for a decent amount of time even after the PS2 was released. Games were still being made and bought for it. I feel the same thing will happen with the PS2.

As true as that may be... I was more of thinking it's too close to the end of its' life-span for an MMO... I probably shouldn't of said "At" the end either... I suppose PS3 will not be out until late 2006 (from what i've heard of it at least)...

Anyway, it definitely provides suitable reason for calling in a computer upgrade...

Mitri3
Apr 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
well even if the game is released at the end of the ps2's lifespan it will be here for the release of the ps3. since we all know that the ps3 will be backwards compatible it will be the first mmo in the nex-gen.

Mixfortune
Apr 12, 2005, 06:15 PM
On 2005-04-12 14:00, Mitri3 wrote:
well even if the game is released at the end of the ps2's lifespan it will be here for the release of the ps3. since we all know that the ps3 will be backwards compatible it will be the first mmo in the nex-gen.

IF it is backwards compatible, etc., there's still FFXI.

snowcrash27
Apr 13, 2005, 04:26 PM
i think psu will use hdd

Iron
Apr 13, 2005, 05:13 PM
i think psu will use hdd

I'm sure it wont. I doubt ST will focus on making a game compatible only with the old PS2.

Outrider
Apr 13, 2005, 06:17 PM
On 2005-04-13 14:26, snowcrash27 wrote:
i think psu will use hdd

It's not. I don't believe Sony supports it anymore and in the 1up.com interview, Naka all but said that PSU would not use the HDD.

snowcrash27
Apr 13, 2005, 09:39 PM
i thought the game was mmorpg? how would they update the patch without hdd? i don't think the memory card would be enough for all those patches.

Velocity_7
Apr 13, 2005, 10:35 PM
Look at PSO v1, v2, and Gamecube. They didn't use HDD did they?

Split
Apr 17, 2005, 02:48 PM
On 2005-04-13 20:35, Velocity_7 wrote:
Look at PSO v1, v2, and Gamecube. They didn't use HDD did they?

Honestly I don't think this game will be ANYTHING like GC, V1, or V2. I wouldn't count HDD out.

deathsyth
Apr 17, 2005, 07:39 PM
dude the game isnt on the same lines as an mmo 64 players wouldent really count as 1 so i doubt udd even need a hdd or anything special since 64 players isnt anything to special to get new or old hardware used

snowcrash27
Apr 17, 2005, 09:41 PM
i guess time will tell

Nash
Apr 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think it will need a HDD. Considering what they managed to achieve with just dial-up and memory cards with PSO, I think they will be able to do all they want to with broadband and server-side saving.

PSU will probably be it's own thing, not a conventional MMORPG.

Karen
Apr 19, 2005, 08:07 AM
It will not use the HDD as the newer model PS2's don't support it and as for updates on things? They can use the same method they use now for PSO 3 CARD, if they can alter the value of the cards in PSO3 without requiring the user to download something then they sure can do it here too.

Source - Game Informer Mag.

RoninJoku
Apr 19, 2005, 03:46 PM
We don't even know if 64 is a real number yet... Sonic Team has yet to go through most of it's game testing. It's very likely that that number may shrink/grow (more likely shrink) before the game is released.

As far as how the game is played... I think it will most likely be more PSO action based than anything else... The EGM article stated something like- the combo system would be much more advanced than in PSO, allowing for implementing mid-combo techniques, and making the standard combo a 6-hit... Sounds like fun... Last time I was on FFXI there weren't 6-hit combos... <.<

kazuma56
Apr 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
FFXI = Turn-based
PSU= Real-time combat

PSU 6 hits would be alot better than just clicking on stuff/waiting for team members.

RoninJoku
Apr 27, 2005, 09:13 AM
How bout this?
FFXI=STUPID
PSO=Awesome
PSU=Better be the latter or i'm not playing! >.<
(runs home to mommy)

Asura_UK
Apr 28, 2005, 01:45 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_09.jpg

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_14.jpg

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_18.jpg

There are 28 pics on the official site now.

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/

Split
Apr 28, 2005, 06:51 PM
hmph...looks like the laser fences are making triumphant return (bottom right corner of the last screenshot) Looks like there won't be any jump command in this one either...sigh... Still, those screenshots are absolutely sick-nasty ill.

Also.. I've noticed that techs are lloking much more spectacular in this iteration. Frickin' AWESOME!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2005-04-28 16:54 ]</font>

AzureBlaze
Apr 30, 2005, 12:16 AM
If you want a new screen shot of an enemy, check out the PSM magazine for this month.
They have a new article in it that pretty much says "Original pso good, this looks cool too yay yay we want voice support". They also have the same canned screens as everyone else....
But there is one new one of some sort of belra-like giant thing in a place that is pinkish. It is really tiny though. However, still worth a look.

So far, I don't think anywhere else has it.

Asura_UK
Apr 30, 2005, 11:16 AM
On 2005-04-29 22:16, AzureBlaze wrote:
If you want a new screen shot of an enemy, check out the PSM magazine for this month.
They have a new article in it that pretty much says "Original pso good, this looks cool too yay yay we want voice support". They also have the same canned screens as everyone else....
But there is one new one of some sort of belra-like giant thing in a place that is pinkish. It is really tiny though. However, still worth a look.

So far, I don't think anywhere else has it.

I saw a low quality scan of that on the Internet.

They'll probably add that pic to the official website at some point.

Aero_Hawk
May 2, 2005, 02:32 PM
WHy isnt there a PSU page on website? If there is sorry i couldn't find it.

digigram
May 6, 2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281260

here is some more info..

Hundreds of human-controlled characters will populate the screen at once, and three entirely different planets from the Grarl solar system can be explored.

Player-controlled vehicles that eliminate the need to travel by foot and a plan to include additional downloadable content for several years.

15 bosses.

Split
May 7, 2005, 12:51 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Also, note how it says the release date is November 1st this year, rather than frebruary somethingth next year. NICE!!!

digigram
May 8, 2005, 09:45 AM
yeah...was very interestig to read this on gamestop.. made it all the more closer.

RoninJoku
May 8, 2005, 10:38 PM
Ah that's what I had heard too! My sources said the game would be out in time for the 2005 holiday season... Whether that will be for both US and JP was left unclear though...

Split
May 9, 2005, 05:14 PM
I just checked what gameinformer.com said the release date was under games for the PC - November freaking first, 2005!!! Since I've only known GI to put the American release dates on their site and in their magazines, looks as though we'll be picking this up in time for the holidays!!! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

googles
May 12, 2005, 12:04 AM
IGN has posted first impressions... New screenshots and 2 in game movies!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/611/611874p1.html?fromint=1

This game looks amazing.

Para
May 12, 2005, 12:30 AM
*drools over karen* <3

It looks like they brought back some old features from PS series like duel wielding.. (hint double claws)

RoninJoku
May 12, 2005, 01:02 AM
Damn! I wanted to be the one to post that ign link first! /me is silly!

Anyway! I'm so excited! This looks so freaking fun and amazing! Did you see those combos? Especially the double claw one! omg... I want more >.<

SLON
May 13, 2005, 06:56 AM
Just watched the PSU videos posted by Johnathan_F. Mmm, well I can't say the enemy bots (2 headed dragon aside) look particularly daunting - aaargh, I'm surrounded by Herbivores, gotta cut my way out of these sheep-like creatures, before they eat some more grass! Take that, and that, you cud-chewers. Cmon, let's gang up on the big docile one...

Puppet_Papaya
May 13, 2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, didn't look all that impressive to me. Guess it's not the amazing PSO revolution that I thought it was gonna be.

RoninJoku
May 13, 2005, 01:15 PM
They said they were still working on the enemy AI's... So let's not worry too much about our consciences (unless you like harrassing and killing innocent creatures) slowing our exp growth just yet...

kazuma56
May 13, 2005, 07:07 PM
the graphics didn't look as bad as I thought they would on the PS2, they actually look quite on par with the likes of GOW.... Gameplay isn't as solid as PSO is ATM, not targeting system and no block button?, the combo's don't look all to great either but they are really fluent and smooth in their animations.... can't wait till more info and movies are released.

Rain_1
May 13, 2005, 07:40 PM
Gameplay footage (the ones on the front page of psoworld) were removed from ign, but a new trailer with ingame footage (some of the stuff we already seen on those 2 videos and new footage of a new stage and a vehicle stage) were just posted on IGN.

Here's the link.. it's the first video named Best Trailer.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/683/683215/vids_1.html?fromint=1

Ash1ey
May 14, 2005, 04:13 AM
It looks cool but the gameplay looks alot slower, and in those gameplay videos on IGN it shows on the right bottom corner under the attack pallete it had a pic of the claw wepon that the guy was using and then it had 240/240 on it and it went down everytime he hit something... Weapon HP... the one thing I HATE about the dark cloud games... kind of disapointing they put it in PSU, i guess i can deal with it, the game should be good anyway, but as of right now, I prefer PSO, but the game is still in development, so i guess i shouldnt complain, its still a work in progress after all..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2005-05-14 02:54 ]</font>

RoninJoku
May 14, 2005, 10:39 AM
Well that number probably could have been any number of things besides weapon hp! >.< Who knows? They might even change their minds about whatever it's supposed to be... Also, It seemed like the "hp" in question only drained when he did a certain combo attack with a different button than the normal attacks (the one with the most hits) Maybe it's more like some form of tp? Just a thought...

Anyway... My biggest beef from what I saw... Is that the characters only had 8 directional digital movement, something that has almost been abolished from 3d games these days... Let's just hope that they change that before the release, which I'm betting they will since they seem this early in the developement... Let's hope they make lot's of good improvements by release time http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Also, someone mentioned no targetting system... If you look closely, you can see and hear little targets appear on the enemies. And when he used multi-hit weapons it made multipe targets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-05-14 08:54 ]</font>

Split
May 14, 2005, 12:16 PM
On 2005-05-14 08:39, RurouniJoku wrote:
Also, someone mentioned no targetting system... If you look closely, you can see and hear little targets appear on the enemies. And when he used multi-hit weapons it made multipe targets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-05-14 08:54 ]</font>
It seems as though every weapon is multi hit.

googles
May 15, 2005, 04:44 PM
If you look closely, there are targets on the monsters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: googles on 2005-05-15 14:45 ]</font>

kazuma56
May 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
I noitced that now, but there is no lock on feature, good or bad, you decide.

BTW Sega has the release date at winter 2006 on their site, so it's a good year till it's release stateside... let's hope they get it right this time around (cheats/getting rid of FSOD etc).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2005-05-16 17:52 ]</font>

Blair
May 17, 2005, 10:30 AM
I still can't tell even from the videos how the battles are. The only thing that annoys me about PSO is how i feel so stuck to the ground all the time. Why am i posing after doing a 3 hit combo?

In any case it does look very good. I hope they don't drop the ball for the PC version.

kazuma56
May 18, 2005, 07:57 PM
There's a new PSU trailer up at IGN.com that shows a little online CAC, it looks so damn extensive it isn't even funny.

J3553
May 18, 2005, 08:32 PM
I just watched that new E3 trailer.

OMG WTF GIB!!!11

*ahem*

Hot damn, I am getting more and more excited. Offline looks very big and excellent, online looks just as rad! I can't wait.

googles
May 18, 2005, 09:08 PM
This game is going to be a HUGE hit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: googles on 2005-05-18 19:09 ]</font>

RoninJoku
May 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
Oh SNAP!!! Check that character creation! It was incredible! When they started changing the proportion and colors of the eyes! I think I need to change my pants! O_O I want to see more character creation videos (drools everywhere) Those were some spiff-tastic new enemies too! And and... WOO

AzureBlaze
May 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Can anyone post a link to this? Quickly before I fly out a window due to expectations?

I got to IGN and clicked a likely-looking trailer...I am on dial up so I had to wait while it buffers. No problem, builds the excitement have fun talking and thinking while the % goes up....97...99% so excited can't wait and--

It's some fool driving a jeep around. No matter what link I click I get a BS jeep ad with psu pictures and window titles all around it. I could see them fine before, why now? It even says it's for PSU down in the status bar where the address for it is...Anyone else with the problem? Anywhere more trustworthy have it?

Puppet_Papaya
May 19, 2005, 12:04 AM
It's an ad for Jeep. LEt it play all the way through, then the PSU movie plays. No way to skip it.

RoninJoku
May 19, 2005, 02:51 AM
Omg... yea those stupid Jeep ads are on every god damn video! It's because Jeep is sponsoring ign/G4's E3 coverage sooo.... We just have to live with them for now...

digigram
May 19, 2005, 11:42 AM
look on gamespot for the same trailer with no ad at all.

Cryo_
May 19, 2005, 01:14 PM
Or just go to gametrailers.

I noticed something (new?) after the "make-your-character" stuff. When the player hits an enemy the number next to his sword drops.
What does this mean? Weapon breaks after too much usage?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cryo_ on 2005-05-19 12:18 ]</font>

digigram
May 19, 2005, 01:45 PM
claw wepon that the guy was using and then it had 240/240 on it and it went down everytime he hit something... from 3-4 days ago

Nai_Calus
May 19, 2005, 04:37 PM
ST is stalking me.

Seriously. That character creation looks freakishly like the one from a wrestling game I used to play. >_>;

Which is, honestly, a good thing. >_>

Anyone else think the trailer's music sucked? XP

kazuma56
May 19, 2005, 07:42 PM
Ian you talking the Smackdown series for the PS2? it has almost the exact same customization from what I've seen.... and why wasn't I credited in that PSU trailer thing on te front page?

PJ
May 19, 2005, 10:16 PM
I LOVE that trialer music http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Besides, it's the PSU music they've been using in all their videos, so it's not like it's different.

That Character Select... *drools* I think Ashura is gonna have Purple eyes http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nai_Calus
May 19, 2005, 10:43 PM
On 2005-05-19 17:42, kazuma56 wrote:
Ian you talking the Smackdown series for the PS2? it has almost the exact same customization from what I've seen.... and why wasn't I credited in that PSU trailer thing on te front page?

Yes! XD The one I played was Shut Your Mouth. Still have it, I should pull it out again sometime and have some fun. Maybe I can make an Ethan and do my usual Shooting Star Press off the Smackdown fist onto him on a table. XD Bwahahaha.

And PJ, you're well known to not have any taste. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But seriously, it's so stereotypically trailer-y. It sounds neither PS-ish or PSO-ish. Blah! Blah to that!

PJ
May 19, 2005, 10:56 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:43, Ian-KunX wrote:
And PJ, you're well known to not have any taste. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Weird taste http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I still think Green hair is totally in http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (But not for Ashura? Don't ask, I already have 4 characters planned out, I want my future self to give me the game http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif)

Rain_1
May 20, 2005, 01:53 AM
New trailers were put up on Gamespot.. the same trailer from ign (obviously), but also a "developers" interview... actually, it's just some sega representative, but hey.. he slipped a nice bit of information

The single player adventure, in terms of timeline, is the first part of the Phantasy Star Universe adventure. The online takes place cronologically after the single player experience. So, single player you are playing as a preset avatar. Online, you create you own avatar and everyone in this world knows Evan Weaver (spl) now as this legendary hero. So you have that background, you have that history. But all the events in the online mode play out after the single player has ended.

You can stream it for free from http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/media.html

SubstanceD
May 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
I'm really looking forward to Phantasy Star Universe. It's been a long, long time since I got this excited about a game, heck it's been a long, long time since I got this excited about anything.

I checked out the trailor on IGN marked Best Trailor and I am currently checking out the E3 2005 one on Gamespot. I am very curious about PSU's gameplay. It looks like it will play like PSO but there are also alot question marks about this game. The IGN trailor suggests that we may able to use vehicles. An article in the most recent Edge magazine talks about AI characters.

It's going to be a pain in the ass waiting for this game to come out, I am hearing talk about a December 2006 release for the US, that means that Europe won't get it untill 2007. I am hoping that there is substance to the rumours that PSU's offline mode is 80% done and that the main reason for the delay is setiing up network play.

Rain_1
May 20, 2005, 07:34 PM
Btw, there ARE vehicles you can use to travel in the planets. It's classic phantasy star all the way baby.
And on the offline gameplay (at least, i guess) you have a 4 player party. You and 3 AI Controlled players.

Online is supposed to be more than 4 players - there's no real number yet, but i'm thinking something to the extent of 6 players (Since it's on ps2, i don't see that number going higher than 8, if that much).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2005-05-20 17:36 ]</font>

kazuma56
May 20, 2005, 11:10 PM
doesn't FFXI have more than 6 people on screen? I'm sure PS2 can handle more than 6 people on screen offline or on.

Saiffy
May 20, 2005, 11:22 PM
On 2005-05-20 21:10, kazuma56 wrote:
doesn't FFXI have more than 6 people on screen? I'm sure PS2 can handle more than 6 people on screen offline or on.

FFXI is also an MMORPG, while PSO would qualify moreso as MORPG. Course this is PSU and we don't know yet.

FFXI was also played right off the harddrive, and PSU isn't using the HDD.

RoninJoku
May 20, 2005, 11:40 PM
December 06 for the US??? Where did you hear that from?

Getintothegame
May 20, 2005, 11:43 PM
On 2005-05-20 01:10, MPLe wrote:
http://www.mapleofsyrup.com/e3/pso

Some pictures and movies. Due to the screen's brightness with the flashing lights around that area, it's hard to get a good pictue.

Calibur
May 22, 2005, 07:13 PM
Interview with PSU director Takao Miyoshi

from 1up.com

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3140861

Its good to hear the offline story is going to be deep, with a bit over 3 hours of voiced cutscenes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calibur on 2005-05-22 17:18 ]</font>

kazuma56
May 22, 2005, 10:21 PM
But 6 people? I'm sure it could push at least 10+ before it's start to cut into the framerate.... the game doesn't look as good as GOW and that game had more than 6 enemies on screen at once.

AzureBlaze
May 23, 2005, 01:03 AM
Great Interview!
Man, it's like they have some kind of direct line to what the fans' fantasies are!

So awesome to get a confirmation on:
Vehicles you can use
Strafing (yay!)
Double Weilding
More plot (THREE hours of dialogue? And their mouthes move too, as seen in a video)
More equal customization for androids (finally)
YOUR char has facial expressions
First person POV (but you can't move)
Battle Mode (of some kind...Battle for DCPSO was good, but I hope they learned from it. I was a die-hard BA'er, I would like to see a return of a more balanced system)
Quests & Holidays- Keep it fresh IF THEY DONT LIE this time. Damm them abandoning V2 and CARD like they did. Especially with unreleased weps/cards still on them.
Actually using every previous PSO incarnation to prevent cheatin' fools.

But it leaves 2 big things undetermined:

Voice Chat and the ability to play with other countries. Personally, I TOTALLY hope both features are included. Without cheating the USA won't be the horrible menace everyone seems to regard it as. With anti-cheating in place, they should feel safe enough to let everyone together...It was fascinating to play with other country/language people!

Are you looking foreward to any other confirmations?

RoninJoku
May 23, 2005, 01:27 AM
There had damn well better be multi-country servers... and you damn well better be able to switch servers at will... God damn FFXI trapping you... Also... They better keep the option that allows you to type in Japanese chars... I would be dissapointed if I couldn't attempt to practice my Japanese by talking to JP players...

Calibur
May 23, 2005, 07:22 AM
e3 gameplay video and pictures

from 4gamer.net (site is in Japanese)

the pictures:

http://www.4gamer.net/news.php?url=/news/history/2005.05/20050521200419detail.html

the video:

http://www.4gamer.net/jump.php?http://download.bbgames.jp/4gamer/e3_2005/movie/PSOUniverse_E3.zip

Dark_Heal_v2
May 23, 2005, 04:20 PM
the video looks promissing, but I think we'll once again be annoyed by the dumb AI of our teammates like in offline mode in PSO.

Calibur
May 23, 2005, 08:08 PM
Gamepro says: that the amount of player with you are 5 more people for a total of 6. So it seems like the 64 or more players in screen they where talking about before is for the lobby's?

probably Gamepro speculating...

a scan of the article from muscarella_jc from the gamespot boards

http://img75.echo.cx/img75/2739/psuarticle8lj.jpg

thx to muscarella, since my scanner is dead...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calibur on 2005-05-23 18:37 ]</font>

SubstanceD
May 24, 2005, 02:41 AM
On 2005-05-23 14:20, Dark_Heal_v2 wrote:
the video looks promissing, but I think we'll once again be annoyed by the dumb AI of our teammates like in offline mode in PSO.

You see, that's what I am worried about. I plan on spending most of my time on PSU playing Offline and the last thing I want to do is carry 3-5 AI idiots ( especially when your the one who weakens the badguys and then they manage to to get the kill thus getting the most exp ). I want to play Offline 100% solo.

Never_ending
May 24, 2005, 08:50 AM
True but then again I was watching the movive of E3 and found that is centres round a character!

great thats good news but according to what the people say the online game is AFTER you complete the story in PSU.

So what do that means that we can't play offline with a custom character?

Also it seems that they said this will be shifted to the platform of: PS2 and PC

WHY NOT THE GC DAMNIT!

digigram
May 24, 2005, 08:52 AM
I haven't heard anything of offline multiplayer mimicking that of the online experience. All we have heard is offline is single player and story driven, and online is like PSO

DavisMarkin
May 24, 2005, 01:51 PM
On 2005-05-24 00:41, SubstanceD wrote:

On 2005-05-23 14:20, Dark_Heal_v2 wrote:

You see, that's what I am worried about. I plan on spending most of my time on PSU playing Offline and the last thing I want to do is carry 3-5 AI idiots ( especially when your the one who weakens the badguys and then they manage to to get the kill thus getting the most exp ). I want to play Offline 100% solo.

What I'm hoping is that Sonic Team finally gets rid of this archaic system of 'you have to have hit to get xp, and the person who gets the kill gets more'. All members who were in the team/party should share the xp from the enemy, like in the other PS games. This gives Technique-oriented characters the ability to gain xp from enemies without having to use their TP for little to no effect (on already weakened enemies, that is, on harder ones and such, yeah, they're using it).

mavericzero
May 25, 2005, 05:40 PM
Just looking at the official site its looking like most people are getting too stuck in PSO phantsy star was origionally a 1player rpg and i am almost certain universe will be also, with NO online whatsoever i mean the characters you play have SET names with background, how could you do that online, its like having kingdom hearts online 10 soras jum,ping around, just stupid
and no another note GC port would suck if it went online, sence noone has the adapter because PSO is the only game that uses it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavericzero on 2005-05-25 15:42 ]</font>

mavericzero
May 25, 2005, 05:43 PM
On 2004-05-12 16:00, Rain_1 wrote:
Oh, i just noticed...
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/phantasystariv/media.html

on gamespot, it's under xbox. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but on its offical site its only listed as PS2

King_Rappy
May 25, 2005, 06:38 PM
Mavericzero, have you even READ the topic? Have you even seen the videos or read the various previews and interviews at all? OF COURSE ITS FUCKING ONLINE!

On another note, it looks like techniques will be used through canes/staffs. It also seems that Foie has made the transition from projectile to Rabarta-type circular attack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King_Rappy on 2005-05-25 23:00 ]</font>

RoninJoku
May 26, 2005, 01:04 PM
On 2005-05-25 16:38, King_Rappy wrote:
Mavericzero, have you even READ the topic? Have you even seen the videos or read the various previews and interviews at all? OF COURSE ITS FUCKING ONLINE!

On another note, it looks like techniques will be used through canes/staffs. It also seems that Foie has made the transition from projectile to Rabarta-type circular attack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King_Rappy on 2005-05-25 23:00 ]</font>

Foie had a projectile like attack in the video I saw... AND he was shooting Foie by way of a spear...

And Mavericzero... yeah... the game WILL have online mode available... It will be completely seperate from the offline mode. The offline mode will be a completely new single player Phantasy Star experience like the kind you are thinking with preset characters and story and linear progression and blah blah blah... But online mode as in PSO a fact known to be true as much as the grass is green. And of course you will be able to customize your character... The E3 video even shows the character customization screen... Infact-the character customizablity is being hailed as one of the most promising customization systems an online rpg has ever seen. One quick look at any article about the game will tell you all that... :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-05-26 11:11 ]</font>

SubstanceD
May 27, 2005, 12:04 PM
On 2005-05-25 15:40, mavericzero wrote:
Just looking at the official site its looking like most people are getting too stuck in PSO phantsy star was origionally a 1player rpg and i am almost certain universe will be also, with NO online whatsoever i mean the characters you play have SET names with background, how could you do that online, its like having kingdom hearts online 10 soras jum,ping around, just stupid
and no another note GC port would suck if it went online, sence noone has the adapter because PSO is the only game that uses it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavericzero on 2005-05-25 15:42 ]</font>

It seems that we will be forced to use either Ethan Waber ( Human ) or Karen Ellen ( Numan ) ( or whoever else is available to select ) for the Offline game. When playing Online you can create your own custom character.

As for the story. It will be the same for both Offline and Online modes, the only difference is that when playing Offline, we will have cutscenes and we will be experiencing everything from Ethan's perspective. The Online game should be more similar to PSO in that we will be using our custom characters and and we will be either following in Ethan's footsteps.

RoninJoku
May 28, 2005, 09:27 AM
It seems that we will be forced to use either Ethan Waber ( Human ) or Karen Ellen ( Numan ) ( or whoever else is available to select ) for the Offline game. When playing Online you can create your own custom character.

As for the story. It will be the same for both Offline and Online modes, the only difference is that when playing Offline, we will have cutscenes and we will be experiencing everything from Ethan's perspective. The Online game should be more similar to PSO in that we will be using our custom characters and and we will be either following in Ethan's footsteps.

Also, don't forget the online story is supposed to take place directly after the events of the offline story.

Yoyo
Jun 10, 2005, 02:24 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_30.jpg

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_34.jpg

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_35.jpg

Sweet! Plus they have a new section opened up called "World of Phantasy Star Universe", downloadable desktop backgrounds, E3 Gameplay video (Can't get it to work for me though...) and two new character bios. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AzureBlaze
Jun 11, 2005, 12:40 AM
Has anyone translated the char profiles yet?
Providing you can ever get them to load....ugh. They finally got some beast man info up there, but it's that annoying flash again so you cant c/p any of it to babelfish.

1. What's with his name? Leogini Santosa Bearfort?
(bear....fort?)Is the text too small and shimmery on this screen?

2. The Sister. I thought everyone was over kidnapping the cutie princess in the polka dot dress? Maybe we can't judge on looks and pigtails and she will turn out to be a ninja or a plant or something.

3. Where are the androids?
What do you think of this new info?

Dice788
Jun 12, 2005, 12:48 AM
does anyone have any info about the required connection speed for online play? i hope its like Episode 1&2 where you could use dial up, because im stuck with it for the moment

Split
Jun 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
On 2005-06-10 22:40, AzureBlaze wrote:
Has anyone translated the char profiles yet?
Providing you can ever get them to load....ugh. They finally got some beast man info up there, but it's that annoying flash again so you cant c/p any of it to babelfish.

1. What's with his name? Leogini Santosa Bearfort?
(bear....fort?)Is the text too small and shimmery on this screen?

2. The Sister. I thought everyone was over kidnapping the cutie princess in the polka dot dress? Maybe we can't judge on looks and pigtails and she will turn out to be a ninja or a plant or something.

3. Where are the androids?
What do you think of this new info?

well..I saw a HUcaseal looking girl in one of the trailers. Go to the official site and check out the screenshot that's two before the two new shots on the first page and you'll see what I'm talking about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2005-06-13 09:28 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 18, 2005, 08:17 PM
Mericarol for PSU, or something like it.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ps/psu/screens/psu026.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-06-18 18:18 ]</font>

Jive18
Jun 22, 2005, 02:58 PM
On 2005-06-22 12:57, Jive18 wrote:
^That looks incredibly badass http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif^

Zelutos
Jun 23, 2005, 04:25 PM
On 2005-06-11 22:48, Dice788 wrote:
does anyone have any info about the required connection speed for online play? i hope its like Episode 1&2 where you could use dial up, because im stuck with it for the moment

I'm guessing it's going to be a broadband only game. That's what i've heard.

AzureBlaze
Jul 2, 2005, 06:45 PM
I just heard there was a new video for PSU over at IGN.
But I can't find it. It is supposed to reveal all kinds of things we'd been after like online charcreate for more then just that one newman girl, and how weps would work and everything.

Ex. ANY class/job/whatever it is now can use ANY wep, but just some classes really suck at some weps so you just wont see people using them.

This is news to me, so where's the video?

Also, got the latest issues of EGM and PSM, and they each have some little postage stamp size bit in them that says "Oh psu could be fun but the jury's out till we hear more about online". Yea them and everyone else! I can't stand it not finding this new video!

TerminusEst13
Jul 4, 2005, 01:17 PM
On 2005-06-10 12:24, Yoyo wrote:
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/image/screen/universe_34.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look like a gigantic super-soaker?

Dearka
Jul 4, 2005, 02:01 PM
I have something to debate about Phantasy Star Universe was originally for the GC and Xbox but I was wondering why they have switched the systems for.I don't know why sega decided to put the very last game of Phantasy Star Online on a PS2 I have nothing against the PS2 but the only thing is I don't own one and my PC is like millions of years old so it wouldn't play Phantasy Star Universe on my PC.

PJ
Jul 5, 2005, 07:57 PM
It was never made for GC or XBox. There was nothing set ever, and all the videos for it said, "PS2, GC, XBox," only out of ignorance (As in, a lack of information)

Uncle_bob
Jul 5, 2005, 08:33 PM
Oh god. Someone better lock this before it turns into a ST bashing thread since they won't be making PSU for the GC and XBox.

Dearka
Jul 6, 2005, 06:23 AM
I was just wondering why they didn't make it for the Xbox or GC but its gamespot fault for putting the wrong info on there site before.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dearka on 2005-07-06 04:24 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jul 8, 2005, 02:32 PM
On 2005-07-02 16:45, AzureBlaze wrote:
I just heard there was a new video for PSU over at IGN.
But I can't find it. It is supposed to reveal all kinds of things we'd been after like online charcreate for more then just that one newman girl, and how weps would work and everything.

Ex. ANY class/job/whatever it is now can use ANY wep, but just some classes really suck at some weps so you just wont see people using them.

This is news to me, so where's the video?

Also, got the latest issues of EGM and PSM, and they each have some little postage stamp size bit in them that says "Oh psu could be fun but the jury's out till we hear more about online". Yea them and everyone else! I can't stand it not finding this new video!

Huh? What the poop? I have heard nothing of this sort??? ... I would assume Jonathan would have posted something like that on the main page if it was true...

AzureBlaze
Jul 8, 2005, 11:29 PM
I never did find the video...
I went all over the place and didn't even dredge up any of the info that was supposed to be on it. But the front page here doesn't post everything on PSU first.

There's new character profile data out and no one's mentioned that anywhere here either. It's on the JP flash site for PSU so unless you know JP, there's no hope of reading it. (no copy/paste to babelfish cause of flash). It looks like it explains the beast man, Ethan's sister etc., SEED and some colony stuff but everyone passes it up. (hardly newsworthy if you cant read it though) Of course, the USA ver of the psu site is rather dismal. (I think someone here used to know jp, but they left)

I so can't wait for the online details to finally REALLY break!

RoninJoku
Jul 11, 2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah... I checked out that character page a while back... Tried to read it with the little Japanese I know, but there was too much kanji... About all I could do was read names and such...

Dearka
Jul 13, 2005, 02:50 PM
but I don't know why would gamespot be wrong about this info when PSU was first announced but anyway heres the link.

P.S I know it doesn't matter now so I'll stop nagging.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/phantasystariv/index.html

Calibur
Jul 15, 2005, 03:01 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/

new update on the official site:

-world of phantasy star universe

-characters

(Japanese)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calibur on 2005-07-15 13:07 ]</font>

Kupi
Jul 16, 2005, 12:11 AM
IGN has a new article on the the races and main characters. There's a minimal amount of real information, but you might find some useful stuff: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/634/634270p1.html

To summarize some of the most important or interesting parts: Casts are androids, built by humans, who developed free will and formed their own society. This lead into a war over Casts' rights which ultimately ended with Casts having an overarching control over Human society. This reminds me of two things: first, the silly fad threads dedicated to Casts's Rights here at PSOW, but also the Mother Brain system from the old Phantasy Star games. The IGN article notes that Casts enjoy "managing things", so they probably have the same function collectively as Mother Brain did. Y'know, climate and population control, that sort of thing.

On a more gameplay-oriented note, the races have abilities as follows: Humans, as has been elaborated upon on to exhaustion, are the jacks of all trades and masters of none. The Newmen have strong mental power, evasion, and accuracy, but poor attack power and defense. Newmen are the best at Techniques and can be made good with guns, but if you want to melee with them, they'll take some work. Casts are basically unchanged from PSO: strong attack power, defense, and accuracy, but lousy mental power. They're great with guns (having the combination of accuracy and attack power to make them work) and good with blades, but... well, the IGN article just says that their Technique usage is "weak", but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any. But hey, PS3 had sorta-robots with Techniques, so who knows. Finally, the Beasts have strong attack and defense and moderate accuracy, but low technique power. They're great with blades, but terrible with guns and techniques. They compensate for this weakness in two weapon types with the Beast Form, which still hasn't been sufficiently explained.

And now for my own wild speculation: the Casts definitely seem to have been painted as the bad guys this time. Your main adventuring party (assuming that nobody but the three characters pictured so far join you) consists of a Newman, a Human, and a Beast. Maybe they just haven't revealed the Cast party member yet, but it could be that the Casts are behind SEED.

Anyway, that's my contribution to PSU mania.

RoninJoku
Jul 16, 2005, 01:40 AM
Rawr... You beat me Kupi! o.o

Hmm... Casts and Beasts have special attacks that Humans and Numans can't use eh? Well, I think we can guess what the beasts do... And for the droids? Is this just referring to traps? Or maybe something more... hmmm...

Yeah and the Japanses site was updated too, I believe someone mentioned... Only think noteworthy for those that can't read japanese though, are a few character updates and pictures here and there... Check it out! They have a killer full-body picture of that Cast dude... Crazy o.o

EDIT-Also there are some Japanese magazine scans up
http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/multi/phantasystaruniverse/scan04.jpg
Credit to another board

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-07-16 10:51 ]</font>

Kupi
Jul 16, 2005, 01:36 PM
Traps might be the Casts's special ability, and it makes perfect sense, but it would be interesting if there was a subset of weapons that only Casts could use, kind've like the special weapons for the Androids in PS4. You'd equip a certain number of them (two, maybe three at a time?), which activates a new attack in your Customize menu. The only problem is, how do you limit those? Only a certain number of uses, like traps, or a cooldown time?

Or maybe I'm not in charge of PSU's game design, so nothing I say is valid in any way. XD I can always dream...

Getintothegame
Jul 17, 2005, 01:57 AM
Added the first draft of the PSU PSOW page. It's not quite done, I'll need help translating some more stuff.

The PSU PSOW Page is here. (http://www.pso-world.com/psu.php)

It was all gathered from everyone in this thread, thank you very much and keep it up!

Skuda
Jul 18, 2005, 02:58 AM
So I hear PSU isn't going to be releaserd till winter 2006. I hope I can wait that long.

oh well, if SEGA is still in development, then maybe I can get them to accept some of my weapon designs before the launch. that would be really awesome.

I havn't seen anything on the helper robots yet. I'm very curious as to how that is going to work.

RoninJoku
Jul 18, 2005, 12:40 PM
Well, (assuming that these were your thoughts) I hope you remember that January and February 2006 still qualify as 2006... It doesn't mean we have to wait a until a whole 'nother year past this one until December '06... It still fits in the same release timeframe that we heard back around pre-E3ish...

Hmm... Helper robots... Yea... I almost completely forgot about those... It's probably one of the only things they haven't elaborated on...

Heheh... weapon designs... Man that would be great to get at least one design of your own in there... You could be all like "Hey! I designed this weapon" And people would be all "Nuh uh! No way!" ... And... yea... It would be cool if ST allowed fan submissions for weapons... Ya know... like... the good ones...

Skuda
Jul 19, 2005, 12:24 AM
On 2005-07-18 10:40, RurouniJoku wrote:
Well, (assuming that these were your thoughts) I hope you remember that January and February 2006 still qualify as 2006... It doesn't mean we have to wait a until a whole 'nother year past this one until December '06... It still fits in the same release timeframe that we heard back around pre-E3ish...

Hmm... Helper robots... Yea... I almost completely forgot about those... It's probably one of the only things they haven't elaborated on...

Heheh... weapon designs... Man that would be great to get at least one design of your own in there... You could be all like "Hey! I designed this weapon" And people would be all "Nuh uh! No way!" ... And... yea... It would be cool if ST allowed fan submissions for weapons... Ya know... like... the good ones...

I just thought about jan-feb today. still...

anyway, I'm going to try. I've designed a weapon o every type, and I'm going to send them to ST. hopefully, they'll even choose one. I could care less about payment, just as long as I'm recognized.

maybe even a job? please?

RoninJoku
Jul 19, 2005, 11:42 AM
Oh yea? That sounds like fun! Good luck with that! How exactly are you sending them? Is there some sort of e-mail address for these types of submissions? I think I might like to try one...