PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had bad Piping luck?

Zinger314
May 17, 2004, 06:55 PM
Topic. This was my first time Piping. I was trying to get a God/Mind off a Very Hard Purplenum Nar Lily (It's a 87.5% chance of dropping). After I see one after many piping, it drops a Knight/Power. After a lot more piping, I see another Nar Lily. It drops an Absorb Armor. How does this game define 7/8? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Nessness
May 17, 2004, 07:13 PM
If it takes me 6 Hildertorrs to get a Frozen Shooter at 1/2 chance...

VulpesMundi
May 17, 2004, 07:14 PM
On 2004-05-17 16:55, Zinger314 wrote:
After a lot more piping, I see another Nar Lily. It drops an Absorb Armor.

Not to be nitpicky, but Nars don't drop armor. They drop units (like the Knight/Power the first one dropped) on every difficulty. You probably just misjudged which item on the floor was dropped by the Nar.

Anyway, back on topic. My worst luck with piping rare enemies was around 4 hours piping for one rare enemy, just to have it drop Meseta (I think it was a Pouilly Slime). That kinda event can really piss one off. But my luck isn't terrible with rare enemies. I had a friend who piped Hildetorrs for over 6 hours, just to find one that dropped junk (I think it was Meseta). Major ouch.

The game doesn't define 7/8 at all. It will come up with its calculations each time. If you get seriously hosed and come up with that 1/8 every time, that's just the way the game works. You have to remember that the true calculation isn't 7/8 or 1/8. There's likely millions of miniscule possibilities that the game calculates each time it's programmed to. It's an extremely unreliable drop system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-05-17 17:19 ]</font>

Zinger314
May 17, 2004, 07:19 PM
On 2004-05-17 17:14, VulpesMundi wrote:

On 2004-05-17 16:55, Zinger314 wrote:
After a lot more piping, I see another Nar Lily. It drops an Absorb Armor.

Not to be nitpicky, but Nars don't drop armor. They drop units (like the Knight/Power the first one dropped) on every difficulty. You probably just misjudged which item on the floor was dropped by the Nar.</font>
It was an Absorb Armor or a Star Atomizer...I wasn't sure which one...

Nai_Calus
May 17, 2004, 08:02 PM
It usually takes me anywhere from 3 to 7 hours to find a Hildetorr.

Usually, it stiffs me.

-_-;

lain2k3
May 17, 2004, 08:05 PM
I piped over 15 hours in VH FoS and have never seen a hildeblue.

Sitka
May 17, 2004, 08:22 PM
Piping=Boring!!! I didn't buy this game and spend !!!hours to sit there and mindlessly pipe for goodness sake!!! I want a rare as much as the next guy and yes I have piped for such rares and occasionally the tight sob's have actually given me what I was looking for. I hate piping with a passion. Give me 20 Lost Heat Swords looking for that stupid, megid-spitting Donkey Kong want-a-be any day over 4 hours of piping with the Fomarl who has NEVER enticed the stupid Hildetor out of his den (FOS). The only time I ever saw a frickin Hildetor was most unexpectedly on the gamecube when just doing a stupid old run, kill the first wave, kill the second wave round the corner and there is this big, black thing - oh what's that purple cloud coming at me - oh it's megid!!! nice knowing you. But when you've just got to have that one weapon - oh well, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Nessness
May 17, 2004, 08:34 PM
Wow... passionate.

I seem to have good luck FINDING the rares, awful lucking having those rare enemies be of any use!

When hunting that FS, I had found some 3-4 Hildertorrs in one hour. Talk about luck. I calculated the time it takes to do one 'telepipe cycle' (from hitting the ground on Ragol, back up, back down), and it takes less than 30 seconds. So I guess I do them pretty fast...

And more than an ocassional Mil Lily has found me on Cave Runs, which I don't do too often.

'Course, rarely do I get the rare I'm looking for (or can I keep it, as the Demolition Comet I got from the Mil was lost in FSOD, and Flight Cutter from Hildertorr as well!)

It's best to be doing homework or something in the mean time. Get some good reading in. Actual piping only requires some 2 seconds of attention every 30 or so, usually.

Shigecki
May 17, 2004, 11:45 PM
Bad luck piping, story of my life in ult. Now over 40 tries and my pinkal still hasn't found a Agito 1975 from a pal rappy, but I do have that all too important money (sarcasm). I have however found 8 god/minds from the same char on vhard from nar lillies. Keep trying.

_Ted_
May 18, 2004, 12:13 AM
I was going for a god/power in from a Skly ep. 2 one day and I found one in just a half an hour! But it stiffed me...so I searched for another three hours and found nothing...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ketchup345
May 18, 2004, 05:14 AM
Whitill Forest Hildetorrs:
1/13 for a Frozen Shooter, at least it had decent percents when it did drop (tekked to 0/35/25/15)

Kafka had to kill 40 Redria Mils for a Demo Comet (1/2)

DarthFomar
May 18, 2004, 05:59 AM
Oh...man. I piped for 7 hours straight and didn't find a single mil lilly in quest mode {the one with all the lillys}. I can barely find pal rappys...one every 70 pipes or so. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I have the worst luck of em all, I tell ya.

SJ
May 18, 2004, 07:12 AM
1 its completey random, theres been so many posts about 'why arnt I finding the rare', its random damit, RANDOM!
2 I spent over 9hr piping and havnt seen a torr yet.
But I usualy get a pal in20min..

Primrose
May 18, 2004, 12:22 PM
I piped for 13 Hildeblues with Redria in very hard without any luck. Now i have my cure/shock, but it was a trade, simply because i am tired of piping, especially for Hildeblues.

shadowhex
May 18, 2004, 01:00 PM
I've been trying to pipe a Pouilly Slime with a Redria for some time now. I shouldn't have finished the Addicting Food, as now I can only fight one at a time. At least the slimes are infinite if you know the trick.

AquaFlare7
May 18, 2004, 01:21 PM
On 2004-05-18 11:00, shadowhex wrote:
I've been trying to pipe a Pouilly Slime with a Redria for some time now. I shouldn't have finished the Addicting Food, as now I can only fight one at a time. At least the slimes are infinite if you know the trick.

Just Finish off the rest fo the quests. When you do it opens up all of the quests so that you can replay them infinately.

shadowhex
May 18, 2004, 01:28 PM
guess I should mention I'm lvl 114 and this is Ult, so easier said than done.

Dragon_Ash
May 18, 2004, 02:42 PM
I've had bad luck with temple viridia torrs and boze mil lilies, two torrs slain after a total of 9 hours piping between them and no kamui.... stingy gits >_>

Also 3 boze mils were seen and killed without piping, each one dropping random crap and no secure feet.

Oran torr's are also another hated enemy for piping, after another 30 or so torrs after the first syncesta, they seem to be reluctant to let another one drop... maybe it's because my hune will kick their ass when she finally makes one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

iamfanboy
May 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
7 Yellowboze Mil Lilies and 2 Secure Feet to show for it, not counting the one Mil Lily that nailed me with Megid and killed me while I wasn't toting a Scape Doll.

Other than that, I have all right luck.

lain2k3
May 18, 2004, 04:51 PM
On 2004-05-18 14:23, iamfanboy wrote:
7 Yellowboze Mil Lilies and 2 Secure Feet to show for it, not counting the one Mil Lily that nailed me with Megid and killed me while I wasn't toting a Scape Doll.

I've been through 5 with none thusfar.

'boze is so mean http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

doubletake123
May 18, 2004, 04:57 PM
remember lain you have the worst luck in the game.
**looks to see lain with a rocket launcher this time**

oh yeah on subject i have never searched for more than an hour and 45 minutes to get an enemy.

Zinger314
May 18, 2004, 07:09 PM
Alright. I've gotten through 8 Nar Lillies. 8 Lillies. And none dropped a Rad Box. How much effort does it take to get a 87.5% percent drop?!

Eihwaz
May 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
Totally random.

I've gotten shafted on pretty high drops too. Took me 2 Pals in Whitill for my Red Partisan. Well...that wasn't that bad of luck, actually...dammit, bad example. XD

I've taken about 13ish Mils for my PWand. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif Oh well, I can't complain. I need to get into triple digits before I can really do that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Dragon_Ash
May 18, 2004, 10:03 PM
On 2004-05-18 14:51, lain2k3 wrote:

On 2004-05-18 14:23, iamfanboy wrote:

I've been through 5 with none thusfar.

'boze is so mean http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

I wouldn't say so... I just got my Secure Feet of my fourth mil... in ya face yellowboze mils http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

lain2k3
May 18, 2004, 11:40 PM
**kills dragon_ash**

SJ
May 19, 2004, 03:14 AM
On 2004-05-18 17:09, Zinger314 wrote:
Alright. I've gotten through 8 Nar Lillies. 8 Lillies. And none dropped a Rad Box. How much effort does it take to get a 87.5% percent drop?!

Dont you get it?
Its random fool, RAAANNNDDDOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!

lain2k3
May 19, 2004, 05:42 AM
On 2004-05-19 01:14, SJ wrote:

On 2004-05-18 17:09, Zinger314 wrote:

Dont you get it?
Its random fool, RAAANNNDDDOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!

point being, He's gotten the 12.5% chance every time he's attempted, out of 8. quite odd.

SJ
May 19, 2004, 05:52 AM
I dotn see the point in drop rates.
Sure they make you think you're gunna get it around that time but face it, one person may get a sealed J on the first gue gi (or whatever) and someone else might get a cross scar on the 40000th bartle.
It's unlikely but i'ts completey random from what I understand.
(I got a milla after say 500 tollaws at the most, probably half tha1t, it's random see?)

phantasy_king
May 19, 2004, 07:23 AM
Recently ive had quitegood luck piping, this is basically what I have found recently:

Lavis cannon= 26 pouily slimes (5 over the supposed drop rate so not really that good)
Agito 1975= 2 Mil lilys (Drop rate is 1/21 so that was good)
Psycho wand= 52 Mil lilys (not bad for a 1/205 drop)
Magic stone irisita= 10 Hildetorrs

Its all how the game calculates it, some people have killed 300 Mils and not got a psychi wand, luck and hope.

Ryu_4
May 19, 2004, 07:50 AM
hey its ok man lol yesterday my ranger reached 101 so i was like hey lets go visit my best friend Pal Rappy for a guard wave and i did the rappy quest and w/o piping found one i was like well here it is ... dropped money lol the next one dropped a freeze barrier and the next meseta and the next something else lol i forget but hey lol ive had better luck before and now theyre like we hate you and you cate have it lol

phantasy_king
May 19, 2004, 10:03 AM
Just wait till you have to kill 40+ pal rappys looking for youre angel harp, thats a killer http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jojothecoltsfan
May 19, 2004, 02:29 PM
That happened to me king. Killed 46 pal rappy's to get my ramarl's angel harp. I can't complain to much, because I got my kamuii, heart of poumn, standstill shield, and frozen shooter on my first rare enemy. Got my 75 agito from the third mil.

DarthFomar
May 19, 2004, 02:58 PM
I piped with my purplenum last night....250 times.....never found a mil lilly... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

phantasy_king
May 19, 2004, 07:14 PM
Deathfomar have you unlocked waterfall tears yeah? You should find one betwen 30minutes to an hour tops, dont bother piping four in Af, the time can possibly double and its taken me around 2 hours to find a Mil by piping 4 obs.

lain2k3
May 19, 2004, 07:25 PM
On 2004-05-19 17:14, phantasy_king wrote:
Deathfomar have you unlocked waterfall tears yeah? You should find one betwen 30minutes to an hour tops, dont bother piping four in Af, the time can possibly double and its taken me around 2 hours to find a Mil by piping 4 obs.

It usually takes me about 2-3 hours on the nine lily room, and Ive never seen one in the 4 room.

FIDELCASTRO
May 19, 2004, 08:12 PM
ah yes. very hard mode. finally found an al rappy. it drops a red box. i get happy. its a photon drop. and the only time i found a love rappy, it gave me a stupid angel/mind. foo

PaleKid15
May 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
#1-to the creator:are you by chance doing anything like cheating? That could have something to do with it.

#2-The randomness in this game was a brilliant move by ST. It's what causes us to play so much and for so long. Every time you turn on the game, you can have a different experience from the last time. It can be annoying at times, but i think the pro's outweigh the con's.

iamfanboy
May 20, 2004, 01:36 PM
Yeah, this game IS quite a con, isn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zinger314
May 20, 2004, 03:00 PM
On 2004-05-20 11:21, PaleKid15 wrote:
#1-to the creator:are you by chance doing anything like cheating? That could have something to do with it.Yes, I do use a hacked Mag, and I was thinking of trying the piping without the mag...but hasn't it been proven that Hacked mags do not affect rare drops? Or did they only test online...?

lain2k3
May 20, 2004, 09:32 PM
On 2004-05-20 13:00, Zinger314 wrote:

On 2004-05-20 11:21, PaleKid15 wrote:
#1-to the creator:are you by chance doing anything like cheating? That could have something to do with it.Yes, I do use a hacked Mag, and I was thinking of trying the piping without the mag...but hasn't it been proven that Hacked mags do not affect rare drops? Or did they only test online...?

On PSO+, using a hacked mag will not allow rare items to drop, I am unsure of the US version.

doubletake123
May 20, 2004, 09:36 PM
and the only time i found a love rappy, it gave me a stupid angel/mind. foo

[/quote]that same thing happened to me.

Akulamenuri
May 21, 2004, 06:32 AM
Havent really had bad luck. On my Skyly I was doing Forest of Sorrow on V.Hard and in the first 5 minutes I killed a Hildeblue and got a God/Arm. I thought I was rather lucky so I piped some more and 70 minutes later I killed another and got another God/Arm. After the first find I thought the second would be relatively quick as well, but im not complaining since he actually dropped the right rare.

DarthFomar
May 21, 2004, 06:37 AM
I piped for a God/ming once *mind you, I had found 3 hence {before}*.....nar lillys didn't like me so they never showed up for the smackdown. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif