PDA

View Full Version : You know what I like about Star Wars?

PhotonDrop
May 18, 2004, 08:37 AM
I like how the episode 1&2 have better spaceships than in 4,5,&6.

I like how better androids came before the others.

I like how they say Boba Fett is a clone of Jango but they look nothing alike.

I like how Lego made a better Slave 1 than their original:

original
http://www.draddog.com/toys/retailaf/starwarslegos/slave1.jpg

newer
http://cache.lego.com/images/starwars/products/und425x218prod7153.jpg

kinda funny isnt it?

Scejntjynahl
May 18, 2004, 09:40 AM
Well its the same problem with Video Game sequels that take place before the original :S

Street Fighter 2 vs Street Fighter Zero, I mean what happened to them, did they forget all the awesome combos and Super Ex Moves when they left Zero and went to 2???

Or Resident Evil series?? God the list is huge.

But it is true, in StarWars the continuity is flawed to say the least. Too many things dont make sense at all.

geewj
May 18, 2004, 09:49 AM
This sort of thing is commonly know as "Mega Man Syndrome", so called due to the fact that Mega Man can't seem to remember any of the abilities he picked up in the last game, and has lost all of his equipment. Frankly, I don't know why Dr. Light even bothers.

Cowboy
May 18, 2004, 09:50 AM
The more evil, the dumber the people? :3

Outrider
May 18, 2004, 01:44 PM
How can you tell if Jango and Boba look alike? We've never seen Boba's face when he's an adult.

And to be fair, I figured the fact that they're both doofy losers who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn was good enough to show they were related.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 18, 2004, 01:57 PM
On 2004-05-18 07:49, Prof_Frink wrote:
This sort of thing is commonly know as "Mega Man Syndrome", so called due to the fact that Mega Man can't seem to remember any of the abilities he picked up in the last game, and has lost all of his equipment. Frankly, I don't know why Dr. Light even bothers.

Hey-- he's getting better.

Between Megaman X4 and Megaman X5, he managed to remember to hold on to his X armor, and he even figured out this bizarre manuever called "ducking"!

Dangerous55
May 18, 2004, 02:05 PM
Why exactly do you think the ships are better? Because they look cooler?

PhotonDrop
May 18, 2004, 02:13 PM
On 2004-05-18 12:05, Dangerous55 wrote:
Why exactly do you think the ships are better? Because they look cooler?

No because the 'earlier' ones had shields and cloaking devices.

Skuda
May 18, 2004, 02:21 PM
Nostalgia is in on that side of teh universe. Darth vader is wearing bell bottoms now!

Dangerous55
May 18, 2004, 02:22 PM
On 2004-05-18 12:13, PhotonDrop wrote:

There were "shields" in the Old Star Wars too, and cloaking devices are mentioned.

Scejntjynahl
May 18, 2004, 02:34 PM
On 2004-05-18 12:22, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-05-18 12:13, PhotonDrop wrote:

There were "shields" in the Old Star Wars too, and cloaking devices are mentioned.

You never agree with anyone, do you?

You have to admit that eps 1,2 seem to have far more advanced equipment and technology that in eps 4,5 and 6. We all know its due to the technological advances in film making. But the continuity does seem flawed.

Dragon_Ash
May 18, 2004, 03:11 PM
yeah, I guess since the new episodes have CG as well as better looking things and a bigger and much more affordable budget compared to the original 3, episodes 1&2 just don't look old and aged as they're meant to be... =/

Dangerous55
May 18, 2004, 04:27 PM
On 2004-05-18 12:34, Furankunichan wrote:

You never agree with anyone, do you?

Nope, sorry. I usually don't agree with people I disagree with.

Sure things looke better in the news ones but none of it really is superior. I draw from what I see and just thinking about the equipment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2004-05-18 14:28 ]</font>

Madzozs
May 18, 2004, 04:49 PM
Also, if you think about it, the more recent ones are set in larger, and seemingly high-class almost, cities. The older ones were set mainly in desert/swamp cities(obviously not Coruscant), but still. If you think about it, why would cities filled with slaves, nomads and bounty killers be chock full of the newest equipment? They will stick with what is cheap and effective. Newer doesn't mean better.

Mind you, I'm completely overtired and overhungry right now and I just got out of work. What I said above may not match what I was thinking about while writing.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 18, 2004, 04:50 PM
I don't see that there's any particular holes in the continuity.

Generally, all the technology you see in the first two episodes is owned and operated by well-run governments and large trading organizations.

In episodes 4, 5 and 6, all the technology seen is mostly owned and operated by rebel forces, residents of the poverish planet of Tatooine, and a huge, widespead imperial government more focused on gaining power than keeping their technology shiny-looking.

I suppose it's also worth noting that some of the technology in the first two episodes that seem to get used a lot, or are built under dubious circumstances do show some wear and tear. Consider C3PO's decided lack of a casing, and also consider the condition of the various attack robots as well as the decided junkiness of the Pod Racers.

Really, the difference that we see is the difference between a prosperous culture, as opposed to a culture that's suffering the end results of repeated hostile take-overs.

Scales_of_Air
May 18, 2004, 06:42 PM
On 2004-05-18 14:50, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I don't see that there's any particular holes in the continuity.

Generally, all the technology you see in the first two episodes is owned and operated by well-run governments and large trading organizations.

In episodes 4, 5 and 6, all the technology seen is mostly owned and operated by rebel forces, residents of the poverish planet of Tatooine, and a huge, widespead imperial government more focused on gaining power than keeping their technology shiny-looking.

I suppose it's also worth noting that some of the technology in the first two episodes that seem to get used a lot, or are built under dubious circumstances do show some wear and tear. Consider C3PO's decided lack of a casing, and also consider the condition of the various attack robots as well as the decided junkiness of the Pod Racers.

Really, the difference that we see is the difference between a prosperous culture, as opposed to a culture that's suffering the end results of repeated hostile take-overs.

Very true, I agree with all of that. It's just rather comical that a squadron of Naboo Starfighters could probably take on the whole Rebel Fleet on their own... And if the advanced technology came from a prospering culture/government, why weren't any of them saved?! (I'm not well-learned in Star Wars, I've seen no more than the movies released.)

Dangerous55
May 18, 2004, 06:57 PM
On 2004-05-18 16:42, Scales_of_Air wrote:
It's just rather comical that a squadron of Naboo Starfighters could probably take on the whole Rebel Fleet on their own...

Why did you make that judgement?

Also, the Star Wars universe is so advanced, I think it hit its peak.

Scales_of_Air
May 18, 2004, 07:25 PM
On 2004-05-18 16:57, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-05-18 16:42, Scales_of_Air wrote:
It's just rather comical that a squadron of Naboo Starfighters could probably take on the whole Rebel Fleet on their own...

Why did you make that judgement?

Also, the Star Wars universe is so advanced, I think it hit its peak.

I made that judegment because the Naboo Starfighters were produced from a large, prospering military. They were new issue to my knowledge, and used better engines, a sleeker design, and better firepower than that of the primary X-Wing. The crafts used by the Rebel force were of a small military force, and piloted by a small group of men. How can a Y-Wing's engine be shot off in one hit from a Tie when they're supposed to have the most heavily fortified defense of fighter crafts? A lucky shot?

Of course, in the 3rd (Return of the Jedi) the Rebels magically have a huge brigade of military cruisers and fighters to take on the rebuilt deathstar, AND the imperial star ships... From where did they come all of the sudden with there fleet of X, Y, A, and B Wings? Plot fluency? It's quite awhile since I've watched the trilogy.

edit: just added "plot fluency"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scales_of_Air on 2004-05-18 17:26 ]</font>

DarthFomar
May 18, 2004, 07:43 PM
Don't frett. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

They {lucas inc?} are thinking of remaking episodes 4, 5, and 6. I don't know if they will or not. But if they do, it would be nice to see everything constructed from the designs of eps 1 and 2. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Outrider
May 18, 2004, 07:44 PM
Uh... just because the Naboo fighter looks nicer doesn't mean it's stronger. Now, I don't really know much about the technical side of things, but I do know that an X-Wing has four laser cannons, two photon torpedo ports, and with it's t-foil design is one of the fastest ships in the Rebel fleet. (Rivaled only by the A-Wing, right?) The Naboo fighter has two cannons, two torpedo ports, and is kinda fast, I suppose. But I don't think it's shields are nearly up to par as the X-Wing, nor do I think the physical shielding is as strong.

Now, somebody who's flipped through the tech books could probably tell us the exact specs of these ships, but I don't really know them.

Anywho, Meira's got the right idea as usual. Episodes 1 was during the peak of the civilization, while Episodes 4-6 are after years of galactic war and strife.

As for Return of the Jedi, most of the ships came from Mon Calamari, though I don't know why they didn't have them earlier than Empire Strikes Back. But in A New Hope, that wasn't the entire Rebel faction, am I right?

Outrider
May 18, 2004, 07:45 PM
On 2004-05-18 17:43, DarthFomar wrote:
Don't frett. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

They {lucas inc?} are thinking of remaking episodes 4, 5, and 6. I don't know if they will or not. But if they do, it would be nice to see everything constructed from the designs of eps 1 and 2. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

No, that's a stupid rumor started because of a wish-list somebody posted at theforce.net a while ago. Lucas would be strung up by his toes if he ever did any of those things.

Besides, that rumor was for the DVD release, which we already know will be Special Edition. Hopefully that rumor will just die now.

Guile
May 18, 2004, 07:49 PM
Well that beats my list, I like nothing about Starwars.

Dangerous55
May 18, 2004, 07:53 PM
On 2004-05-18 17:25, Scales_of_Air wrote:

I made that judegment because the Naboo Starfighters were produced from a large, prospering military. They were new issue to my knowledge, and used better engines, a sleeker design, and better firepower than that of the primary X-Wing. The crafts used by the Rebel force were of a small military force, and piloted by a small group of men. How can a Y-Wing's engine be shot off in one hit from a Tie when they're supposed to have the most heavily fortified defense of fighter crafts? A lucky shot?

Of course, in the 3rd (Return of the Jedi) the Rebels magically have a huge brigade of military cruisers and fighters to take on the rebuilt deathstar, AND the imperial star ships... From where did they come all of the sudden with there fleet of X, Y, A, and B Wings? Plot fluency? It's quite awhile since I've watched the trilogy.

edit: just added "plot fluency"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scales_of_Air on 2004-05-18 17:26 ]</font>

How do you know anything about the engines or firepower on these ships or which is better? All that we know is what we see in the Movies. Also a small group of pilots wouldnt mean they are of poor quality. Can't really argue this stuff though, considering it is all fake.

Just because something is produced by a large military doesnt mean it is good. Look at the French Chauchat, or the M16 in early Vietnam.

Just because you dont see all the equipment in the first 2 movies doesnt mean they didnt have it.

Yeah, another thing though. Say the stuff in 4,5, and 6 are worse. That is possible after a great Empire falls. Just study the Dark Ages after Rome fell.

Solstis
May 18, 2004, 10:17 PM
Dark Ages.

Meh.

But, everyone does bring up some good points.

Another, in the "expanded" universe of KoTOR the technology appears to be relatively the same (handheld wise), and only the space ships (?) have changed at all.

Maybe technology has hit a peak.

I mean, what else can they do? Use hyperdrive technology on blasters?

KodiaX987
May 19, 2004, 07:04 AM
Quickie note about the "huge" Rebel fleet at the end of Star Wars. During the previous movies, what we were seeing was only the Rebel-exclusive portion of the ships, and that comes to only a handful, really. However, the Rebels have strong allies, especially Mon Calamari (who produce their big cruisers) and the Bothans. This isn't seen in episode 6 (but we get that scene in nearly all the Star Wars games) but the Rebels, before going to the second Death Star, all gather up, everyone, allies, everything, thus they throw their entire fleet against the Death Star.

Scejntjynahl
May 19, 2004, 09:33 AM
What I meant of continuity is in the story itself, for example CRPO was not recognized by DarthVader, yet was made by his younger self.

Technology wise I hate to admit that Dangerous55 brought a good point in the comparison of the demise of Rome and rise of the Dark Ages.

Dont misunderstand me, I rather enjoyed the movies (albeit not that big eared freak, give me Ewoks any day) and I anxiously await to see the turning point of Anakin and the fabled demise of the Jedi order.

KodiaX987
May 19, 2004, 10:42 AM
On 2004-05-19 07:33, Furankunichan wrote:
What I meant of continuity is in the story itself, for example CRPO was not recognized by DarthVader, yet was made by his younger self.

Note though that there are thousands of protocol droids built just like C-3PO, so it would've been impossible for Vader to recognize the droid unless he went up to his face and said "Hey Mr. Anakin, it's me!" Likewise, I don't think C-3PO is aware of Anakin and Vader being the same person. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dangerous55
May 19, 2004, 02:03 PM
On 2004-05-18 20:17, Solstis wrote:
Dark Ages.

Meh.

What does that mean?

Nidarrock
May 21, 2004, 12:58 AM
On 2004-05-19 07:33, Furankunichan wrote:

Note though that there are thousands of protocol droids built just like C-3PO, so it would've been impossible for Vader to recognize the droid unless he went up to his face and said "Hey Mr. Anakin, it's me!" Likewise, I don't think C-3PO is aware of Anakin and Vader being the same person.

I would agree. Plus if Lucas keeps it the same, 3PO will be a dull grey instead of the golden rod we know from Episode IV and up. A stretch I know, but this is Lucas who's writing this. On the flip side of this I think it's safe to say a memory wipe for both R2 and 3PO are coming near the end of Episode III. They may not recognize Anakin as Vader, but I'm sure they would realize who Luke and Leia are.

Also about the Naboo figters vs. X-wings...here is my theory based upon the movies.

Naboo is more of a peace orientated planet, and obviously uses those fighers to protect thier planet. They are used as a means of defense(more or less). The X-Wing is designed for war, as an agile and powerfull fighter. Hence why this model is used so often by the Rebels. You don't see different makes of the Naboo fighter away from Naboo do you?