PDA

View Full Version : Hiragana Character on ASCII & Sammy Keyboard Controller

ssan
May 20, 2004, 04:30 AM
I bought the Sammy Keyboard Controller.
Is there anyway I can type japanese in english mode?

Also how do you type hiragana directly?
I can't find the key that will allow me to do this.
I have to use the romaji way for hiragana to come up.

Since there are hiragana characters printed on each key,
there must be a way.

Please help!

Arislan
May 20, 2004, 05:10 AM
Is there anyway I can type japanese in english mode?

No, you have to be in JP mode for that.

Also how do you type hiragana directly?

I haven't found a way to do so even in a JP Operating System with a JP computer. So, no, it's pretty much standard typing. Which is how every person I know types anyway, given the amount of numeration and capital roman letters used in Japanese speech nowaday.

ssan
May 20, 2004, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't found a way to do so even in a JP Operating System with a JP computer.
Do you mean you can use this on pc too??

Also, if you can't type hiragana directly like alphabet, why are the characters printed on each key??

Arislan
May 20, 2004, 05:50 AM
Normal Japanese keyboards have the same character setup, hence the PC reference. I suppose you could use the controller with a Joypad adapter though...

I know, I've often wondered the same thing myself. Although, really once you're used to it, it's far more intuitive to type the word out thn use the characters, since it'd be rougher to do chiisai (smaller, subscript) characters and such.

ssan
May 20, 2004, 08:37 PM
Hey, I've found out how to do it.

When you are in jp romaji mode
Press alt+katakana/hiragana key(left of pgup key)
it will change to full direct hiragana input mode.

Hope it helps everyone who wants to know all about this kb.

Ask me if you still have problems.

Arislan
May 20, 2004, 08:42 PM
Interesting, just tried it, works fine with a KB adaptor and a JP keyboard. I'll stick with normal input, but hey, if you want to learn this method, may work out for you.

ssan
May 20, 2004, 10:19 PM
Interesting, just tried it, works fine with a KB adaptor and a JP keyboard.
Did you try the sammy kb on pc? Or do you just mean normal jp keyboard with ps/2 kb adaptor on gc.

Anyway, I like the romaji way better too.
I just wanted to know the full function of this kb.

Arislan
May 21, 2004, 01:04 AM
Don't have the Sammy KB, but both Windows XP JP works like that, and the GC with an adaptor and my trusty 800 yen JP keyboard work to put it into that function. I don't think the GC-->PC adaptors are functional for full keyboard support (not much point), but if it was able to do so, I don't see why it wouldn't act like a standard keyboard.