PDA

View Full Version : The epitome of computer-related stupidity

Garanz2
May 26, 2004, 07:13 AM
My school prides itself on it's extensive IT facilities. Broadband internet, A seperate profile for every single pupil, and a huge amount of network space. It has three rooms dedicated to IT, and a music technology room as well.

Well, secondary school kids will be secondary school kids. About a year ago, there was a brief outbreak of mouseball stealing. To combat this problem, the school's IT technicians had a bright idea: Superglue the hatches on the bottoms of the mice so the wheels could not be removed! Amazed at their brilliance, they carried this brilliant, revolutionary plan out on every last mouse in the school.

Now, as anyone who has owned a computer for a couple of years or so would know, the insides of your mouse need to be cleaned every few months to stop the mechanics being clogged with dirt and seizing up. So when the technicians went to clean out the mice a few months later, OH NOES! The mice won't open!

The school's on too low a budget to replace 100+ mice, so we have to make do. It's hard to do coursework when you have to put serious physical effort into moving your cursor, and the mouse grips the table like it's covered in glue. Especially when you over-jerk the damn thing and you end up closing an essay rather than minimising it.

KodiaX987
May 26, 2004, 08:38 AM
What kind of dickhead would steal a MOUSEBALL?!

Force the school to use optical mice. Problem solved. If they can't find the cash, then they shouldn't have made a computer network in the first place.

geewj
May 26, 2004, 10:12 AM
Bring your own mouse to school,and take it when you're done. I doubt anyone would complain.

Kizaragu
May 26, 2004, 10:50 AM
Wait a minute...!?
IT technicians, Proffesionals as it were, willingly decided glueing the mouse balls in? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
What next? Your teachers giving out suger coverd candy to those who disbehave, hoping they'll calm down!?

Sharkyland
May 26, 2004, 11:53 AM
Ah, mouseball stealing... people would just take them and throw it at other people just for fun, but that is really stupid of them supergluing the mouse shut.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 26, 2004, 12:46 PM
Errr... My mother-in-law has honestly used the CD-ROM tray as a cupholder. I am not joking, here.

geewj
May 26, 2004, 12:52 PM
I say the IT's made the right move.

If the stupid kids keep stealing the mouse balls then you have to stop them somehow. If it means that the students have to use gunky mice for a while because they can't afford to get new mice, then too fucking bad.

I'm not saying that everyone should be punished for it, but that's the way life is.

What else were they gonna do? Keep replacing the mouse balls?

Outrider
May 26, 2004, 01:44 PM
On 2004-05-26 08:12, Prof_Frink wrote:
Bring your own mouse to school,and take it when you're done. I doubt anyone would complain.

If it were my high school, some of the computer teachers would freak out and accuse you of trying to install a virus. The funny thing is that the people who knew the least about computers in the school were the head computer teachers.

Garanz2
May 26, 2004, 01:56 PM
Frink, surely it would be cheaper to buy a new mouse ball every month or so (It really wasn't all that frequent after the first week or so, maily because if anyone was caught, they'd have to do a saturday detention) than to replace the huge amount of mice that are soon going to be just about immobile?

Tact
May 26, 2004, 02:54 PM
Here's a solution: When the school can get them, laser-operated mice. That way, no mouseball stealing!

Cowboy
May 26, 2004, 02:59 PM
I thought thats what optical mice were..

HUnewearl_Meira
May 26, 2004, 03:04 PM
On 2004-05-26 12:54, tactician7777 wrote:
Here's a solution: When the school can get them, laser-operated mice. That way, no mouseball stealing!

That was my thought, as well;

Albeit, I have to say (not that this should be a legitimate concern, as most students simply aren't this clever), in the wrong hands, optical mouses can lead to a great number of students suddenly going blind.

Tact
May 26, 2004, 03:11 PM
On 2004-05-26 12:59, Cowboy wrote:
I thought thats what optical mice were..

Same thing.

Scejntjynahl
May 26, 2004, 03:31 PM
Solution: Have the mouse ball removed. Teacher hands our mouseball in exchange for a valuable thing of student (ID, CD player, etc etc). Have student return mouseball to reaquire personal belongings. Trust me, it works.

Gluing them was sheer laziness and stupidity.

I used to be an IT for and Adult School. Some High School kids went there to finish General Ed Diploma. Once, one guy, put gum in a CD compartment. I saw him do it. I went up to him, dug in his backpack, took out CD player pop it open, I put my chewed gum in it and smear it all over the laser eye and into every little crevice I could find I shoved the gum in then I closed it... Returned it to him. He started yelling and cursing "You better pay for that" To which I said: "sure, I will, if you pay for the damages on the PC you just did"... meh, idiots are all over the place.

geewj
May 26, 2004, 03:46 PM
On 2004-05-26 11:56, Garanz2 wrote:
Frink, surely it would be cheaper to buy a new mouse ball every month or so (It really wasn't all that frequent after the first week or so, maily because if anyone was caught, they'd have to do a saturday detention) than to replace the huge amount of mice that are soon going to be just about immobile?

Well I just figured that they wouldn't have done it had it not been a recurring problem.

I know some places that would have half the mouse balls gone in just one day.

KodiaX987
May 26, 2004, 08:06 PM
On 2004-05-26 13:04, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Albeit, I have to say (not that this should be a legitimate concern, as most students simply aren't this clever), in the wrong hands, optical mouses can lead to a great number of students suddenly going blind.

If the students get stupid enough to try that, I want THE ENTIRE STATE IN WHICH THIS IS HAPPENING to be nuked, leveled, chem-bombed and then set on fire to prevent the spreading of the fuckery disease.

SpikeOtacon
May 26, 2004, 08:08 PM
On 2004-05-26 18:06, KodiaX987 wrote:

If the students get stupid enough to try that, I want THE ENTIRE STATE IN WHICH THIS IS HAPPENING to be nuked, leveled, chem-bombed and then set on fire to prevent the spreading of the fuckery disease.

Seconded.
If they dare try that, they'll be laughed out of court. Or they'll win. Odds are they'll win. T'is a sad, sad world.

Garanz2
May 28, 2004, 07:40 AM
*Sings 'God save our gracious queen' as the bombs fall*

BrokenHope
May 28, 2004, 07:57 AM

On 2004-05-26 12:54, tactician7777 wrote:

That was my thought, as well;

I hope you aren't serious?

Optical mice use harmless LED's there is no way anyone will be going blind due to an optical mouse..

Superguppie
May 28, 2004, 08:45 AM
No matter. If the school can't affort replacement mice, they can't get opticals anyway.

@KodiaX987: I don't think we need to get that drastic. Consider the following quote:

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I'm not sure who said it, but couldn't find it anymore. So, to the one who said it first, sorry...

KodiaX987
May 28, 2004, 07:49 PM
My middle name is Drastic Man. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I love to nuke states and provinces, eat parents and burn the children. I am Mike Man's right-hand man.

And the quote was found at Bash.org

lain2k3
May 28, 2004, 08:11 PM
A couple of my friends in the IT program at my school started switching the keyboard keys around, shifting all alphabetic keys one to the left...

'twas funny.

and then they started stealing the "W" keys off the keyboards, but they did return them later.

Garanz2
May 29, 2004, 02:47 AM
On 2004-05-28 18:11, lain2k3 wrote:
A couple of my friends in the IT program at my school started switching the keyboard keys around, shifting all alphabetic keys one to the left...

'twas funny.

and then they started stealing the "W" keys off the keyboards, but they did return them later.

Yeah, that happened a bit at my school as well. It was pretty bad for a while, but thank God the techs didn't decide to superglue the keys too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Nai_Calus
May 29, 2004, 03:30 AM
Number one most undiagnosable computer fuckery:

Change the keyboard layout to something almost identical, but not(US QUERTY to British, for exaexample). Or change the mouse speed/etc.

Guaranteed it will take at least an hour to track it down, if not more.

Firocket1690
May 29, 2004, 08:14 AM
o.o (http://www.angelfire.com/psy/xylion8701/07.JPG)
"Never underestimate stupid people in large groups."
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

KodiaX987
May 29, 2004, 08:29 AM
Stop spamming your sig! Jesus...

The best way to screw over a person is to take a screenshot of the desktop and set it as wallpaper. Then, move all the icons on the desktop to some secret location.

Other cute thing: set all the colors to black on a black background.

Firocket1690
May 29, 2004, 08:34 AM
Stop spamming the same idea in a different thread! Jesus ...
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I have a optical light up mouse thingy.
clear case, so the red light shines out.
preeeeeetyyy ..

Murdercall
May 29, 2004, 04:16 PM
Same in my school.. I was doing an exam on a computer and I could barely move the damned mouse, it totally slowed me down http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

lain2k3
May 29, 2004, 07:38 PM
Another really funny thing:

for my computer, and I believe any windows OS, put a floppy disk in the drive after they turn their computer off. It will not start up correctly and say that there is a fatal error when they try to boot up.

happened to me on accident a few times. I look at the screen, and I'm like O.O...

then about a day later i realize there is a floppy in the drive.

XD

Scales_of_Air
May 29, 2004, 07:47 PM
On 2004-05-29 06:29, KodiaX987 wrote:

The best way to screw over a person is to take a screenshot of the desktop and set it as wallpaper. Then, move all the icons on the desktop to some secret location.

:lol: Awesome! If I felt the need to do that, I would, but my computer teacher's a cool guy. I stay after class sometimes to chat with him about books and literature and stuff before I go to French class. Our mice here aren't smooth too, it's just that people are too lazy to even clean them! They haven't been superglued, as many idiots like to take them out and I see countless numbers of them rolling on the floor...