PDA

View Full Version : Important:BB torrent download

Spliffman
May 26, 2004, 11:27 AM
if you download this torrent can you please leave the window open after your download has finished, otherwise the tracker will withdraw this torrent.

if you haven't used torrents before, this is what happens:

Torrents work on seeds, which are the number of people currently down/uploading the torrent. The more seeds the faster download. If you leave the window open, you become a seed which enables others to download faster. Torrents are subject to a gentlemans rule: You should at least allow the upload to reach 100% before you close the window, most people go to 200% to be fair to other torrent users.

If you are downloading the torrent without allowing it to upload at least 100%, you are 'leeching'. This means the guy with the tracker will be under extreme pressure as his bandwidth will be caned by 'leechers'. When this occurs the tracker will normally withdraw the file, because it will cause his system to suffer.

This is all about fair play. I have already downloaded the torrent and left it running for 2 days, uploading 2000meg, if everyone does this the download speed will become faster and faster.

I know this would be better suited to the tech support forum, but it is very important and people need to understand this before the only decent source for BB is withdrawn. I saw the guy who has the file speaking about this in a torrent forum, he is not best pleased.

good luck, and happy downloading, peace

Sharkyland
May 26, 2004, 11:55 AM
Heh, I left it on... after the wedding, I noticed the torrent said 3500mb uploaded.

Spliffman
May 26, 2004, 11:56 AM
nice one mate, thats the way to do it:)

peace

Para
May 26, 2004, 12:04 PM
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=82869&forum=9&start=0

Similar topic, no need to make another one I guess.

Spliffman
May 26, 2004, 12:21 PM
sorry didn't see that, but the thing is,some people obviously are taking no notice of it whatsoever, because the tracker of this torrent is particularly unimpressed by the amount of leechers and is close to withdrawing the torrent, in which case a lot of people may miss out.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 26, 2004, 05:06 PM
Eh...

I say close those windows as soon as downloading is done...

Let's hurry up and kill this torrent business, and get back to legitimate methods of file sharing, like *actual servers*, messaging clients, IRC and your typical file sharing protocol clients like KaZaA. Protocols that don't hog processor cycles by trying to upload the file you're still downloading to four or five different people at the same time. Methods that are guaranteed at least a *decent* download speed, even if there are six or seven people downloading at the same time.

I'm not willing to share my processor cycles or bandwidth, dammit. If I had a larger hub, I would consider hosting the file, as I have a perfectly good, shiny new Linux box at home that would do the job quite nicely, and in the near future, when I do graduate up to a larger hub, I very well may do that, so we can forget about this torrent nonsense. I would encourage others who happen to have the resources, to do the same.

Kuea
May 26, 2004, 07:11 PM
well I left mine on for 3 days and I totally forgot about it
I think it said somewhere around 10000-20000 uploaded

Zzzzzz
May 26, 2004, 10:19 PM
What's this about?
You can download BB or something?