PDA

View Full Version : NGC Pipe Warning

LWK
May 27, 2004, 03:17 AM
I just tried to power on my Cube and my system WILL NOT WORK. Piping has killed my Gamecube. I can't speak for XBOX PSO players, but believe me, piping does effect your system, in my case it killed the system completely.

This is a unit that lasted for and eternity, but when I started piping, only last week did I notice weirdness in the unit.
As much as it sucks for some people, its best to just find rare enemies from multiple runs, as opposed to running this risk.
Trust me on this.

Jack
May 27, 2004, 04:58 AM
Piping has no more effect on the machine than the average game of Metroid Prime in my experience.

LWK
May 27, 2004, 05:14 AM
On 2004-05-27 02:58, Jack wrote:
Piping has no more effect on the machine than the average game of Metroid Prime in my experience.

Then keep doing it and end up learning the hard way.
I get 'click' reads, the laser is totaled. Trust me on this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LWK on 2004-05-27 03:15 ]</font>

Dana
May 27, 2004, 05:16 AM
that's in no way true..i've piped for a few weeks and so have my friends, your just unlucky and it's all coinsidence

lain2k3
May 27, 2004, 05:43 AM
On 2004-05-27 02:58, Jack wrote:

indeed. that game was so fucked up.

LWK
May 27, 2004, 05:44 AM
On 2004-05-27 03:16, Dana_ranger wrote:
that's in no way true..i've piped for a few weeks and so have my friends, your just unlucky and it's all coinsidence

I've been piping longer then a few weeks. Over time it does something to the laser. Somebody here made a excellent point in a XBOX thread concerning constantly reloading.
It does effect the system, it does it in small amounts.

When I get my new cube, I'm no longer going to pipe constantly, its just not worth the risk involved.
People might get pissed and say I'm stupid or other stuff, but its directly related to piping.

Dhylec
piping isn't a healthy thing for the systemm =/
constantly loading back & forth wears out the read head & motor faster..
on gc, if you pipe too fast, you can get hw error [game freezes] easily >.<

rena-ko
May 27, 2004, 06:07 AM
in the end its all depends on hardware. if your very own drive (may it be box or cube) wears out sooner or later than average doesnt mean anything.

its partly depending on manufacturing series and the actual age and runtime of your console.

well, you use something, it happens to break, you have to replace it. cubes go for what nowadays? 84 euro. i think i read something about 50-80 US$?

be happy that its not like with the dreamcast - broken, you could forget about your chars as well (as far as i remember - or had some trouble with sega to reset your HL serversiden).

Superguppie
May 27, 2004, 06:14 AM
There have been reports of lasers acting up at heavy use. I guess it's kind of normal that some units just break down at it. And piping is heavy use.
I'm sorry for LWK it happened to him. Hope it doesn't happen again.
As rena-ko says, some break down early, others break down late. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

LWK
May 27, 2004, 06:22 AM
I posted this to try to let people unaware know the risk involved. I'll just get another Cube tonight. Its a easy replacement, but also a annoyance.
My cube is a first gen. This just sucks because getting my Lavis from a Pouilly is gonna be a bitch of a time now.

Guppie, thanks for the support.

PJ
May 27, 2004, 06:36 AM
On 2004-05-27 04:07, rena-ko wrote:
be happy that its not like with the dreamcast - broken, you could forget about your chars as well (as far as i remember - or had some trouble with sega to reset your HL serversiden).

That's what happened when my DC broke down @_@

We had PSO for about a month, we were able to get online, then it broke. That was about... a year and a half (Or something @_@) before PSO GC came out...

Anyways, I'd like to think piping (And Metroid Prime for that matter) really aren't healthy for my GC, but it's starting to run a little weird anyways, so I"ll need to buy a new system when I get a new job Z(And probably a new PSO disc... why can't they release plus?!!)

Jack
May 27, 2004, 07:31 AM
On 2004-05-27 03:14, LWK wrote:

Then keep doing it and end up learning the hard way.
I get 'click' reads, the laser is totaled. Trust me on this.

My GC does the click occasionally while playing Metroid Prime. The doors take ages to open. Beyond Good & Evil knacks it up as well, specifically the main town.

DarK-SuN
May 27, 2004, 08:38 AM
Good thing I don't pipe trick exactly because of fear of the exact things mentioned.

darthsaber9x9
May 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
god how much were you piping in one go to ruin your GC then?

i dotn think its the fact thats its piping, more as some other person said just the fact that it is heavy use of the system. my GC clicks and i hardly pipe anyway. dont be scared of piping because of this

Sitka
May 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
I don't pipe for a lot of reasons, but one of them is wear and tear. Wear and tear is just that - the more you do it, the faster it will break down. At least on the gamecube, when your system goes down, you can still get your chars back. On the xbox, when it goes down, your sol. Arrice duve(sp?), See ya latah. Welcome to noobville with your level 1 char. This morning on runs, I picked up some rares off both Mil Lily's and Red Slimes, no piping, and gained another level as well. Oh, and I found 3 more level 30 discs, 3 more level 20 discs, 2 level 15 discs, scape dolls, grinders and a charge vulcan (0/20/0/50/50). 10 more levels to half-way (183), is that right Kef? Anyway, I know I'll probably never find some ultra rares - oh well - I'm having fun with the ones I got.

VulpesMundi
May 27, 2004, 11:29 AM
I could safely assume that I'm one of the most persistent pipers around. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much time I've spent piping. My GC still works as good as it did the day I bought it in December of 2001. And to this day it has only had three disk read errors. To say that piping is the sole cause of killing your GC is purely speculation. I won't deny that it is going to be a part of it, but just using your GC at all is eventually going to wear it out. That's just a fact of life. We all play at our own risk (usually at the cost of braincells or thrown controllers, not lasers and motors).

Dragon_Ash
May 27, 2004, 12:03 PM
I'd have to agree with Vulpes on this, I've been piping since around the time the game came out and my GC is just as healthy as the day it came out of it's box on it's release... and as other people mentioned, other games could have significantly worn the cube down...

It seems if it's not the console that'll break then it'll be the memory cards =/

Hutobega
May 27, 2004, 12:10 PM
What you do in a game has no effect on how the system wears and tears lol. Xbox just happens to break easilly all of my friends who dont even play PSO both their systems are startign to fail for what reasons its the laser for some reason Xbox dies quickly lol. for cube on the other hand trust it isnt the game its the system

Sitka
May 27, 2004, 12:41 PM
Ya Hutobega. I'm on my third xbox already. Thank God for the warranty at EB. I bought the first one as a refurbished and it broke almost immediately. The replacement was brand new and it too went down. Third one sometimes locks up and stuff (especially on KOTOR), but is generally holding up well. I've also worn out two controllers. Now using Logitech and it works mo betta.

LWK
May 27, 2004, 12:58 PM
On 2004-05-27 09:29, VulpesMundi wrote:
I could safely assume that I'm one of the most persistent pipers around. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much time I've spent piping. My GC still works as good as it did the day I bought it in December of 2001. And to this day it has only had three disk read errors. To say that piping is the sole cause of killing your GC is purely speculation. I won't deny that it is going to be a part of it, but just using your GC at all is eventually going to wear it out. That's just a fact of life. We all play at our own risk (usually at the cost of braincells or thrown controllers, not lasers and motors).

Thing is, my system had zero issues prior to the pipage. Then it degraded over time, systems are gonna wear, sure, but this was like a immediate suicide.
I didnt pipe before, never had a single issue, I started doing so, and it wore the system down very fast.
Its unfortunate, but its a risk I'm not going to be running, even if at its worst it was a minor contribution, it was still a negative contribution none the less.

Butoden
May 27, 2004, 01:18 PM
On 2004-05-27 09:29, VulpesMundi wrote:

(it's good to hear you pipe so much, seeing you've seen so many rare enemies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_shy.gif)
But what do you mean by Disc Errors? You mean in PSO? Do you lose data?

Arislan
May 27, 2004, 01:37 PM
DRE, or Disk Read Error, means that teh screen goes black, you get a message saying there was a DRE, and to power off the Cube. Could possibly result in FSODlike errors, but most far and away most likely will just result in everything that you did that session being erased.

_tsunami
May 28, 2004, 03:28 AM
Hmm had PSo for over a year and have been piping for multiple items but my cube still seems fine.

stormwalkr777
May 28, 2004, 12:48 PM
i have a pre-owned GC and it does just fine. I put in a good 80 hours a week on PSO and have yet for my GC to mess up. Its not the piping dude trust us yer GC just started messin up about the time u started piping its how things work. The systems have minds of their own i swear they do lol. in any way sega endources piping and they would be sued by some moron by now if it had negative effects on the system, also u go right ahead and try to get a heaven punisher from a hildetorr without piping u WON'T do it lol. Atleast not for a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY long period of time.

ulyoth
May 28, 2004, 06:00 PM
Xbox's and ps2's lasers tend to break more because they are not properly built for DVDs, this tires the one puny laser out.

Heretic88
May 28, 2004, 08:35 PM
Ive never heard of the term piping. what is it.

MrLostman
May 28, 2004, 10:07 PM
Piping= constantly online or offline dropping telepipes to get a rare enemy to appear. And piping has no bearing on it. Did we all forget climate and where you have the GC sitting is effective on its lifespan, no piping. PIPE AWAY THERE IS NO THREAT!

Deus-Irae
May 29, 2004, 01:15 AM
ive had my CG since launch day.

ive had PSO GC since the day it was released.

ive piped many many many rare enemies.

ive never received a DDE.

im not saying it wont contribute to a problem with your GC, but i personally havent seen any eveidence of it. just my 2 cents.