PDA

View Full Version : Painful psychology

Gnarled_rose
May 27, 2004, 06:51 PM
I just spent an hour trying to figure out exactly what gestalt is. (Ironic, I know) I can't remember my day. I hold no memory of what I've done during the day. I mean, holy crap! Does anybody here know anything about gestalt psychology, and is anyone willing to explain it without using the music analogy yet in simple terms?
You know, music....You don't define music as individual notes, you define it as the sound of the notes put together. Even then, I feel like I'm missing something in the definition.
Oh, my head....I consider myself quite knowledgable in the ways of psychology, but WOW! Now if you'll excuse me, I...need...to...reclaim the past 24 hours of my life by living greatly for the rest of the week. Ah, screw it. I'll just go back to the gestalt thing until it totally blows my mind. Just give all my stuff to Hikara.

Dana
May 27, 2004, 07:36 PM
shhh trying to sleep, PSYCHOLOGY IS TOO TIRING...the only thing i wan to hear at the moment is PSYCHO, and that is the PSYCHO IN PSYCHO WAND, i wigh i knoew what gesalty thingie was

LollipopLolita
May 27, 2004, 07:49 PM
Gestalt Therapy?

rant?

opaopajr
May 27, 2004, 10:48 PM
think colony of ants. easy way to understand gestalt.

Deathscythealpha
May 28, 2004, 08:18 AM
Doesnt a Gestalt mean something that combines to form one whole or something? I dunno, im just going by the fact that the combiner teams in Transformers have begun to be called 'Gestalts' in new continuety.

navci
May 28, 2004, 02:41 PM
On 2004-05-27 20:48, opaopajr wrote:
think colony of ants. easy way to understand gestalt.

Ya know, I have never think about it that way. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Or think of a box of puzzle. That helps too.

opaopajr
May 31, 2004, 04:50 AM
group mind. separate and different organisms working together so in sync it looks almost like telepathy or hive mind, acting so in concert (ahh music analogy) that it essentially is one organism.

can take the ant out of the ant colony, but can't take the ant colony out of the ant. that's why thinking of ants is an easy way to understand gestalt.

ps: i like the box in puzzle analogy too. can't have a rubic's cube puzzle without the smaller cubes. but the smaller cubes aren't a puzzle, they can only be a puzzle when working together in a tight organized framework.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2004-05-31 02:53 ]</font>