PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO FIX YOUR DREAMCAST if it resets. please read if you n

Wang_Tang
Aug 28, 2001, 05:03 PM
okay i was just PMing someone named Tonberry, because he had the problem of his Dreamcast resetting. now, i have posted this information before, but it's lost in the old posts lol. anyways, if your dreamcast resets, copy and paste this into a text file and SAVE IT. you will thank yourself when you want to find this info again. okay, here we go. this is what i pm'd tonberry::

hey i read that ur dc keeps resetting. I know how to help you if you're interested!

first I'll say that I've used this "technique" and my dreamcast went from resetting every 5 minutes to NEVER. I'm now able to play for like 7 hours straight!

first of all, you have to take your dreamcast apart (i know, i know, ur thinking "I'm not doing that!!" but trust me, let ur dc reset just a few more times and you'll be damn desperate.

now, just take the top off your dreamcast by removing all the screws from the bottom (careful not to strip the screws). now, after the screws are out, turn the dreamcast over so it's facing up again, and remove the top. you'll notice a few things. most of the middle to top right is the GD rom drive. to the left of the gd rom drive is a long board that has a wire connected to it. this is the board you have to "lift up". there should be screws in the top of this board, so remove them. disconnect the wire that is connected, and very carefully pull the board away. this is the part that you have to be most careful about. at the "bottom" of the board, or the end of it that's closest to the end of the dreamcast with the controller ports in it, there is a thin white "plus" of sorts that has 5 or 6 prongs through it. you need to remove this board very carefully because it's somewhat difficult to get those prongs outta there. i suggest using a screwdriver as leverage, as long as you dont press too hard (you might want somebody there with you to help you out just in case). now, just take a very very clean cloth and wipe each of the prongs to clean them as best you can. make sure you DO NOT USE KLEENEX OR PAPER TOWEL, because they will leave small fibres on the prongs, and you'll be in even bigger trouble.

after you have cleaned the prongs, put the board back on (its easier to put it on then to pry it off :D). put the screws back in the board, and reconnect the wire to the power board (which is the board you just pryed off). now just put the top back on the dreamcast, and put the screws back into it.

now enjoy being able to play pso for a hella long time :).

WHY IT WORKS: your dreamcast was resetting because the power board wasn't getting proper contact with those prongs, thus the power being "fed" to your dreamcast wasn't always constant, resulting in the resetting.

I know this will help you, and i wish you good luck in doing the procedure.

::end PM

well there you have it folks. i know that more and more ppl's dc's are resetting these days, so hopefully this info can help. :)

Wang_Tang
Apr 26, 2002, 09:00 PM
*bump*

hey MODS!! do you think you could put the cleaning method in the articles section (and gimme some credit for it)?

this would help ppl out a lot. this post was lost once again in the limbo of threads, im just bumping it now in case anyone has the problem of their dc resetting

Drayma
Apr 26, 2002, 10:30 PM
Good information and it works. (pso players needing new dreamcasts so they can jump online sooner, didn't think about that http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif).

Mystil
Apr 27, 2002, 09:00 AM
Oh cool, I'll remember this thread when the time comes. But I hope it wont, since I take care of my DC alot. And I have had it for a year.

avai
Apr 27, 2002, 05:58 PM
Thank you very much because this was the exact problem that I was having and it fixed it! I have been having this problem for months and pretty much quit playing pso over it, but now Im gonna start playing again.

Don_Art
May 9, 2002, 09:21 AM
Just thought id post this, so it didnt go to waste. I have suffered from this problem and its fixed now, but there might be additional info below that might be usefull to some1...

On 2002-04-25 07:07, Don_Art wrote:
As far as Im aware there are 3 possible causes of the dreaded DC reset...

1) Over heating. From what ive heard, alot of people find this to be the cause of their reset problems, although i cant say for sure. Dust clogging up the inside of your DC and stopping the fan doing its job properly. The soloution to this is a screwdriver, a can of compressed air and a carefull clean.

2) Dirty/Dry/Dusty solder joints on the six prongs that connect the Power board to the Mother board. This was (so I heard) a common fault on many Dreamcasts, causing an inconsistent power supply and thus causing the resseting, the soloution to this problem would require, once again, a screw driver and a steady hand. Although i cant recommend trying this unless the problem is absolutely unfixable any other way, and you would only throw away your Dreamcast otherwise, since it would not only invalidate your warranty but its pretty risky also.

i)Remove the modem and screws
ii)Carefully remove the switch connector from the top left of the power board. This is the twisted grey wire with the white clip.
iii)Remove the two brass screws from the power board and unclip from the Dreamcast shell.

Find the six prongs that join the power boad to the mother board, treat everything with gentle care, remove the board, clean the prongs with Isopropanol, or servisol/WD40.
Its possible to bend the prongs forward slightly to make them fit very snugly and alleviate any future resetting. Replace the board, brass screws and re attach the switch connector, screw the shell lid and replace the modem.
[this info was taken without permission from March 2001 issue of DC-UK, if u want to try this, do so at your own risk. Thanks 2 B Varnum from Nottingham, Big UP yourself!]

3) Code users/abusers; numerous codes that will cause you and your DC problems, including RSOD and the Sega Swirl of Death, which I have only heard of through an over enthusiastic PK clansman, which apparently resets ur DC and then freezes on the Dreamcast swirl screen. There are worse codes that I have heard of but, im not exactly up for finding out myself.

Wang_Tang
Jul 23, 2002, 06:37 PM
hehe sweet the info became a sticky.. GOOD. this is very useful info ^_^

Shrevn
Aug 28, 2002, 11:16 PM
so what your tellin us that this actually stops RSOD from happening?

Wang_Tang
Aug 29, 2002, 10:29 PM
in essence, yes, it should stop RSOD, because rsod is usually caused by either overheating, or loss of contact with the power source.
please make sure that you have your dreamcast sitting in an area where the fan has room to breath, and have it sitting on a flat hard surface, like a book, and not carpet. this way, you can prolong the life of your dreamcast. i have my dc sitting on a book, and it hasnt reset for almost a year now.

Eve
Nov 17, 2002, 08:22 AM
Ya,i had to use this trick 3 times since i 1st saw your posting,but now my PAL DC's RF input is shot,as well as the SVIDEO connection-i can still use the SCART AV lead though.